Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Bowl Week
I know there will never be another Apple Bowl that pits Johnson Central against Paintsville but can you imagine how this week would play out if those two teams still played. Johnson Central, ranked #1 in 4A vs. Paintsville, ranked #1 in 1A. It would be the most talked game in the state. It would bring so much publicity to our county. Imagine how much revenue it would generate for our county while being played on Thursday while almost every other high school team plays on Friday. Oh well, a person can only imagine.
I agree. Seems as if the two schools don't get along enough to negotiate that anymore. Even if Paintsville lost every year, that game was so rich in tradition that it's worth it in my eyes. All up to the powers that be though.
THOMCAT..... the crowd would be 15,000+ or bigger.

The #1 ranked teams in 4A & 1A, from the same county, playing on Thursday night.

Not only that..... imagine the Prediction thread for this game. No doubt it would be the WYMT game of the week.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
http://www.jcgoldeneagles.com/main/event...id/3698089

The Apple Barrel
The current high schoolers have no idea of this rivalry....

School year - grade
16/17 - 12th
15/16 - 11th
14/15 - 10th
13/14 - 9th
12/13 - 8th
11/12 - 7th
10/11 - 6th
9/10 - 5th
8/9 - 4th

The current seniors were in 4th grade the last time JC and Paintsville played against each other.
I agree the Apple Bowl was FULL of tradition but on the other hand how many trips to BG or legit shots at even making a threat to BG did either team have during the apple bowl error? I know Paintsville had one or 2 teams even threaten! A short 7 years after the Apple Bowl ended, Paintsville is Ranked 1 in the state for their class and lose a heartbreaker in the semi's being 1 loss away from a state title! The Golden Eagles earn the trip to BG to play in the State Class 4A Championship! We turn the page to 2016 and now we find both teams are Ranked #1 in the STATE in their respective Classes and both have a strong chance of bringing not 1 BUT 2!!! State titles home to Johnson county! I know we all loved the Apple Bowl but what's more important for both programs? Preparing to bash each other for a Barrel and some Braging Rights or maybe putting their focus on the big picture and building two powerhouse football programs that our county can be proud of and making a run at a State Title!! Johnson County has 2 of the best Head coaches in KY football and it's showing! 2 Great programs each filled with Tradition!
From game one of last season until today, JCHS and PHS combined football record 38-3. 2 of those 3 losses came in a semi final game and state final game! The Last 2 years has been tough odds when facing a high school team from Johnson County! I know we had a LOT of pride in the Apple Bowl but we should be able to find some pride in a record like that!
Blue_Bird96 Wrote:From game one of last season until today, JCHS and PHS combined football record 38-3. 2 of those 3 losses came in a semi final game and state final game! The Last 2 years has been tough odds when facing a high school team from Johnson County! I know we had a LOT of pride in the Apple Bowl but we should be able to find some pride in a record like that!

Assuming that Paintsville is still undefeated in a few weeks you can put 4 losses on there when they make the trip up 23 north Confusednicker:
Orange Blaze Wrote:Assuming that Paintsville is still undefeated in a few weeks you can put 4 losses on there when they make the trip up 23 north Confusednicker:

Blaze, Scotty, Ramdad!! Geeesh!! I need some more man power!! How bout it Redneck! Tigerblues??
Sounds like their a**** are still sore from receiving the football twice "slightly to the left" last season, Raceland just has to wait their turn is all. NO blaming it on the Refs and bad calls this year folks
Blue_Bird96 Wrote:Blaze, Scotty, Ramdad!! Geeesh!! I need some more man power!! How bout it Redneck! Tigerblues??

Lol. Ah man, Blaze and Scotty are pretty level headed. They know it will be a war. RAMDAD just trying to get us fired up I believe.
Redneck Wrote:Lol. Ah man, Blaze and Scotty are pretty level headed. They know it will be a war. RAMDAD just trying to get us fired up I believe.

Ramdads trying to get me in an orange shirt and it AIN'T HAPPENING BRAH!!!!
I have always had a lot of respect for Paintsville's program. I played against them before the program was in its down years and I remember Paintsville always being one of the harder games on our schedule. I am glad to see you guys rise from the ashes and make this a competitive series again.
Thanks Blaze! Cherico has done an amazing job bringing this program back to life! We go back and forth on these boards but we know with Raceland were gonna have a ball game! None possibly bigger than the one coming up! 2 great 1A programs! Gonna be a battle!!
I don't think Paintsville is ready to take JC yet but there getting closer I like what Coach Cherico has done so far he's got them contending again and they believe in him
When the series ended in 2008, Paintsville did have a 15-20 lead on JC.

However, JC did win the last 5 games in blowout fashion... and let's be honest, the last 5 games weren't even close.

1974: Johnson Central 16- 14
[COLOR="blue"]1975: Paintsville 19-0
1976: Paintsville 26-6
1977: Paintsville 14-6
1978: Paintsville 35-0
1979: Paintsville 20-0
1980: Paintsville 19-6
1981: Paintsville 19- 6
1982: Paintsville 3- 0[/COLOR]
1983: Johnson Central 21-6
1984: Paintsville 21-7
1985: Johnson Central 17-14
1986: Paintsville 27-6
1987: Johnson Central 14- 6
[COLOR="blue"]1988: Paintsville 23-20
1989: Paintsville 13-0
1990: Paintsville 15-8
1991: Paintsville 27-19
1992: Paintsville 14-12[/COLOR]
1993: Johnson Central 56-12
1994: Johnson Central 8-6
1995: Paintsville 16-6
1996: Johnson Central 20-15
1997: Johnson Central 18-0
1998: Paintsville 27-0
1999: Johnson Central 22-14
2000: Johnson Central 32-22
[COLOR="Blue"]2001: Paintsville 40-22
2002: Paintsville 45-30
2003: Paintsville 20-13[/COLOR]
2004: Johnson Central 48-6
2005: Johnson Central 50-6
2006: Johnson Central 56-6
2007: Johnson Central 49-15
2008: Johnson Central 55-7
JC went 8-5.
District Champs & made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs.
Paintsville went 4-7.
Lost in 1st round of playoffs.

JC wins. (16-20)

JC went 10-3.
District Champions & made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs.
Paintsville went 3-8.
Lost in the 1st round of the playoffs.

JC wins. (17-20)

JC went 9-3.
District Runners-Up & made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Paintsville went 2-9.

JC wins. (18-20)

JC went 9-3.
District Champions & made it to the 2 round of the playoffs.
Paintsville went 2-9. Fairview had to forfeit the original win, so the record was changed to 3-8.

JC wins. (19-20)

JC went 11-1.
District Champions & made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Paintsville went 8-4.
Lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

JC wins. (20-20)

JC went 11-1.
District Champions & made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Paintsville went 10-3.
Made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs.

JC wins. (21-20)
I think it would have been a game through halftime. JC's depth would have got the best of Paintsville around mid 3rd qtr.
IMO, this would have been the best game of the series since the 2000 season. The 2002 and 2003 games were garbage (I know Redneck won't agree). Both sides were weak during those years. From 2004-2008, JC dominated Paintsville. This would have been the first game were both sides were competitive.

JC went 12-2.
District Champions, Regional Champions, Semi-State Champions, Class 4A State Runners-Up.
Paintsville went 13-1.
District Champions, Regional Champions and first Semi-State appearance since 2001.

JC wins. (22-20)
This game would have been MASSIVE for Johnson County in general.
A 4-Star, D1/SEC commit vs. the 4A state contender in a cross-town rivalry game.
This game would have been close through late in the 3rd qtr. Kash and Kent would have kept Paintsville in the game. JC's depth would have begin to show in the late 3rd qtr. The score would have been around 49-21. JC would have got a few late TD's on a gassed Paintsville's D.
Let's use Ric Flair as Paintsville....... they are such Heels. Ric Flair is perfect to describe Paintsville.

"We're Paintsville... and we're awesome!!!"
[Image: http://obsessedwithwrestling.com/picture...ir2/04.jpg]

Paintsville riding high from 1975-1982
[Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tZT5SzhoqrQ/S3...r.c010.jpg]

Landing a "Low Blow" when the can.
[Image: http://rudomania.com/wp-content/uploads/...-Balls.png]

It's only cheating if you get caught....
[Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fNMBRTkmcY0/S5...ir2010.png]

Randy Savage (Johnson Central) beating Ric Flair (Paintsville) after for the 5th straight time.
[Image: http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb320...eb2bcb.jpg]

"I don't wanna play Johnson Central anymore....."
[Image: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/image...zId1ChPVgQ]
What I was thinking. Lot of 2nd round playoff losses. Yep Paintsville had a lot of 2nd round play off losses as well. Nothing like either team has shown the last couple years! To be honest Central's program has been a winning program but not a lot of actual title threats until late, which kinda shows us that maybe our eyes are on a bigger prize now!
My bad. I didn't see the crystal ball projected 2015 win! Lol. Come on Pulp!! Again lets get behind each other! Start looking at the future and quit dwelling on the past! It can only bring us down!
Blue_Bird96 Wrote:My bad. I didn't see the crystal ball projected 2015 win! Lol. Come on Pulp!! Again lets get behind each other! Start looking at the future and quit dwelling on the past! It can only bring us down!

You can't tell me the 2015 game wouldn't have been awesome to watch.
No way would I put this overall series info and pic on the Internet when Johnson Central is trying to prove to the 4A world that they ARE #1 ! Shouldn't a little 1A school lose to a 4A school virtually every time? That shouldn't even be a competition should it? Oh but it was way more than that! The little 1A school as you politely stated above hammered the "mighty big brother" school 20 times! Just look at the barrel! There should not be that much Blue especially from such a little in significant little 1A school while facing such a POWERHOUSE 4A program as you've got there Pulp!
Yes it would have. I defiantly agree! It actually would have been electric! Can I predict a clear cut winner? No. Even with the 1a 4a I couldn't have predicted! Woulda been a big gate to spilt though!
Blue_Bird96 Wrote:No way would I put this overall series info and pic on the Internet when Johnson Central is trying to prove to the 4A world that they ARE #1 ! Shouldn't a little 1A school lose to a 4A school virtually every time? That shouldn't even be a competition should it? Oh but it was way more than that! The little 1A school as you politely stated above hammered the "mighty big brother" school 20 times! Just look at the barrel! There should not be that much Blue especially from such a little in significant little 1A school while facing such a POWERHOUSE 4A program as you've got there Pulp!

To call JC "a POWERHOUSE 4A program" is not correct. From 1970 through 1999, JC football wasn't good. Plain and simple. Not bashing our history, but it's the truth. Not until Matney was hired in 2004 did the JC administration take football seriously. Look how far we've come since 2004. Now imagine how far the JC program would be if this would have happened in the 1980's.
In the 2000 season when we beat Tates Creek @ TC, went 10-0, won the district for the first time ever and finished the season 11-1..... this was the first time JC realized we could have a football program.

So JC FINALLY gets their program to the level it should have been over 20 years ago, we beat Paintsville 5 times straight then they decide to cancel the series.
What's that saying about Paintsville???
"We'll only play you when you're terrible....."
"Let's kick'em while their down......"
"We'll play you, but you can't beat us...."
FWIW...

Johnson Central
15 Wins.
659 total points.
Longest winning streak: 5 (2004-2008).
Biggest Win: 56-6 (2006).

Paintsville
20 Wins.
592 total points.
Longest winning streak: 8 (1975-1982).
Biggest win: 35-0 (1978).
Pulp Fiction Wrote:To call JC "a POWERHOUSE 4A program" is not correct. From 1970 through 1999, JC football wasn't good. Plain and simple. Not bashing our history, but it's the truth. Not until Matney was hired in 2004 did the JC administration take football seriously. Look how far we've come since 2004. Now imagine how far the JC program would be if this would have happened in the 1980's.
In the 2000 season when we beat Tates Creek @ TC, went 10-0, won the district for the first time ever and finished the season 11-1..... this was the first time JC realized we could have a football program.

So JC FINALLY gets their program to the level it should have been over 20 years ago, we beat Paintsville 5 times straight then they decide to cancel the series.
What's that saying about Paintsville???
"We'll only play you when you're terrible....."
"Let's kick'em while their down......"
"We'll play you, but you can't beat us...."

To me it's a statement of where the programs were heading. Clearly JC was picking up momentum and if not for the Northern Kentucky teams they would have a state championship or two, whereas Paintsville was heading to being one of the worst programs in any class period. There were a few years there after the series was cancelled where Paintsville had under 20 players on the team. Does a team with little talent and a ridiculously small roster going to benefit from getting absolutely embarrassed? No. I would love to see the series back now that Paintsville finally has the numbers again. But there from 2010-2012 you had to seriously look out for the safety and well being of what few kids you had on the roster.

I don't think it had anything to do with "We'll only play you when you're terrible" or "We'll play you but you can't beat us". And I feel like a lot of people know that deep down, but they won't admit it because they would rather see Paintsville close it's doors than have success.
Pupaw Wrote:To me it's a statement of where the programs were heading. Clearly JC was picking up momentum and if not for the Northern Kentucky teams they would have a state championship or two, whereas Paintsville was heading to being one of the worst programs in any class period. There were a few years there after the series was cancelled where Paintsville had under 20 players on the team. Does a team with little talent and a ridiculously small roster going to benefit from getting absolutely embarrassed? No. I would love to see the series back now that Paintsville finally has the numbers again. But there from 2010-2012 you had to seriously look out for the safety and well being of what few kids you had on the roster.

I don't think it had anything to do with "We'll only play you when you're terrible" or "We'll play you but you can't beat us". And I feel like a lot of people know that deep down, but they won't admit it because they would rather see Paintsville close it's doors than have success.

The bolded is 100% legit.

If Paintsville was in another county, I could care less about the Tigers. They would be just another team. But they're not, we are in the same town, less than two miles away from each other.

I don't want to see Paintsville close the program on any of their sports or their school for that matter. But what kills me more than anything is their fans who bring up "We are still beating you guys for the overall record".... Yeah, No kidding, you stopped playing us!!!!!

Matney would be classy enough to have not played his varsity team during the seasons Paintsville was way down. Maybe the 1st qtr., but after that... the JV/Frosh would have played & we would have seen a lot of field goal attempts.
My son is a Jr. now and these kids have played against each other so long he's got friends at JC and Paintsville you all have got great kids over there and great football hope we can bring 1A,3A,and 4A State Championship Trophy's to Eastern Ky, this year it would be awesome
We may want the tradition of it back but what if they played this Thursday and with how fired up the kids get Geordan Blanton takes a season ending injury? Or Preece? Or Kent? Or Morris? Could that happen in any game? Sure, but we all know how high emotions ran for the apple bowl! Would it be worth playing a game that doesn't need to be played in the overall scheem of things just because some don't like the series ending 20-15? I loved the apple bowl The history, the tradition and in the last few years we woulda had some wars but worth the increased possibility of Lessining either teams chance at a shot at a regional or state title? Just because the decision wasn't ours doesn't mean it wasn't a good decision! We only have 2 high schools in Johnson! Instead of jealousy "JV" "little brother" saying things like "oh they think their so perfect" how about getting behind each program! With only 2 teams both in completely different classes, surely we can support both respectively! I know I support Central! Why wouldn't I?