Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Central 2017
My point exactly. Coaches like Chirico and Matney don't have to recruit. Kids just want to play for them.
Well Ive complained in every htread pertaining to Floyd central so I may as well this one too.. They copped out with copying Jacksonville's mascot, another cat really? Almost no one gets a chance to have a cool mascot, they did and blew it..Though in all fairness I was told by a student that they had a certain selection to choose from and I guess they got the cleanest turd in the bowl..
The mascot pretty much came from admin at the board, or at least the selections did..
Blacksmith Wrote:Well Ive complained in every htread pertaining to Floyd central so I may as well this one too.. They copped out with copying Jacksonville's mascot, another cat really? Almost no one gets a chance to have a cool mascot, they did and blew it..Though in all fairness I was told by a student that they had a certain selection to choose from and I guess they got the cleanest turd in the bowl..
The mascot pretty much came from admin at the board, or at least the selections did..

Still think they should have been the Floyd Central Fightin' Beavers

With the whole Left Beaver/Right Beaver aspect of consolidating AC and SF it would have been awesome.
The freshmen who will be the first graduating class from Floyd central chose the mascot for the school it wasn't picked by the school board
First Time I saw this thread I was thinking about Floyd central in Indiana
Ike Cooter Wrote:Not going to happen. 20 miles to Floyd Central or 25 miles to Paintsville, Pikeville or Johnson Central. The only kid at Adams that will play at Floyd Central if Hager gets the job is his son. With that being said I do think Hager is a good hire for Floyd Central.

Actually it's only around 15 miles from Prestonsburg High School to Paintsville or Johnson Central.
cat86 Wrote:Here's another thing to consider:

I have spoken to someone in the administration at Belfry, and they told me that they fully expect to drop to 2A at the next realignment. Loss of coal jobs has finally hit Pond Creek.

IF that happens, Floyd Central will be in a much more attractive district and class than Prestonsburg, who will find themselves in at least the same region if not same district as the Pirates.

This would be a really good thread to start....how many schools are expecting go to down a class in the new alignment? I think the KHSAA is going to have their hands full with teams that would and should be 2A in eastern KY and nowhere to put them. Sounds as if half the 3A schools in the east are going down in enrollment.
big dawg, small yard Wrote:The freshmen who will be the first graduating class from Floyd central chose the mascot for the school it wasn't picked by the school board

I didn't say it was selected by the school board I said the "selections" (as in you pick from this one,this one or this one,etc)were picked by the school board..At least that's what some of the students told me that are going to be there. may or may not be true, just what they told me
*According to the paper they basically took 5-6 kids from the first (when its opened) senior class and let those kids choose from like 5 choices of mascots..Animal,athlete etc..Then the kids went with the colors because it had close to both AC and SF's colors in it. Then the name which is something like 'Floyd central" because it has names from both schools in it..Thats in a nut shell what the article said from the Floyd county times best I can remember.*
That second paragraph is from a post I made last year after reading the article.
don't take the above as gospel either, I could be mistaken on some things..I wish I could find that Floyd county times article. The Floyd county chronicals article is different and the times has already taken thiers down since its old..Its harder to find older Floyd county times articles since they have downsized and cutback..
When is the next alignment?
hawk101 Wrote:when is the next alignment?
South Central Trojans!! Let's make it happen!!
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:This would be a really good thread to start....how many schools are expecting go to down a class in the new alignment? I think the KHSAA is going to have their hands full with teams that would and should be 2A in eastern KY and nowhere to put them. Sounds as if half the 3A schools in the east are going down in enrollment.

south central will drop into a 2A as well they won't gain 100 kids by building a new school. kids around the wheelwright area is closer to shelby valley than the new south central school pike county has also agreed to run a bus to melvin to pick up kids that are willing to go to school over there due to that reason
That is true but they were given only a few choices to pick from. All board approved. So they really didnt get an open platform. Lets be honest. We all know Jaguars was rumored to be Henry Webb's pick long before the student committee was ever formed or a choice made. Lol.
I hear a lot of South Floyd parents saying they are going to Shelby Valley because the drive is just too far for them and busses would be running at 5 am to get their kids to school. I really think South Floyd got the raw end of the deal with this new school.
Spud6 Wrote:I hear a lot of South Floyd parents saying they are going to Shelby Valley because the drive is just too far for them and busses would be running at 5 am to get their kids to school. I really think South Floyd got the raw end of the deal with this new school.

Ive heard some of the same..At least the complaining about south Floyd kids that live way up left beaver. That's going to be a real haul for some of them
big dawg, small yard Wrote:south central will drop into a 2A as well they won't gain 100 kids by building a new school. kids around the wheelwright area is closer to shelby valley than the new south central school pike county has also agreed to run a bus to melvin to pick up kids that are willing to go to school over there due to that reason

Unfortunately for Floyd Central the 1st 2 years are going to be based on the numbers from SF and AC added together which puts them in the top half of 3A (AC at 232 and SF at 153= 375. Belfry was at 380 in the alignment).

For Belfry and FC to drop into the 2A consideration they would have to have 20% declines vs the current average. That's huge. You have other schools well below them in enrollment that (I speculate) have decreased, such as Sheldon Clark, Magoffin Co, and Morgan Co. There is only going to be so much room in 2A and the number they will have to hit will be lower than the last alignment to do so. I will verture to say that they are going to be still 3A at the very bottom.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Unfortunately for Floyd Central the 1st 2 years are going to be based on the numbers from SF and AC added together which puts them in the top half of 3A (AC at 232 and SF at 153= 375. Belfry was at 380 in the alignment).

For Belfry and FC to drop into the 2A consideration they would have to have 20% declines vs the current average. That's huge. You have other schools well below them in enrollment that (I speculate) have decreased, such as Sheldon Clark, Magoffin Co, and Morgan Co. There is only going to be so much room in 2A and the number they will have to hit will be lower than the last alignment to do so. I will verture to say that they are going to be still 3A at the very bottom.

Morgan and Magoffin is not quite as reliant on the coal industry. Sheldon Clark will definitely be 2A.

One thing to consider is that a 20% isn't exactly as huge as it may seem.

The enrollment numbers are based off a calculated 4 year average. Where Belfry's average currently sits is higher than their current enrollment as the decline in the economy is right now at it's peak.

Floyd Central, I don't expect, will be as heavily hit as others due to one variable. Being a new school will have its ability to draw people. You may see kids who have lived in the SF or AC Districts that had chosen to attend Pburg, Betsy Layne, etc now come to the new school instead. Consequently, you may see kids who have been in the Betsy Layne or Pburg districts make the choice to come to the new school.

I still think you see Belfry come in at the low end of the 3A enrollments with the new alignment.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Morgan and Magoffin is not quite as reliant on the coal industry. Sheldon Clark will definitely be 2A.

One thing to consider is that a 20% isn't exactly as huge as it may seem.

The enrollment numbers are based off a calculated 4 year average. Where Belfry's average currently sits is higher than their current enrollment as the decline in the economy is right now at it's peak.

Floyd Central, I don't expect, will be as heavily hit as others due to one variable. Being a new school will have its ability to draw people. You may see kids who have lived in the SF or AC Districts that had chosen to attend Pburg, Betsy Layne, etc now come to the new school instead. Consequently, you may see kids who have been in the Betsy Layne or Pburg districts make the choice to come to the new school.

I still think you see Belfry come in at the low end of the 3A enrollments with the new alignment.

I think Belfry stays there as well. There are many schools who's current number is below what their average was listed for the latest alignment.

When and where will the new enrollment averages come out?
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:I think Belfry stays there as well. There are many schools who's current number is below what their average was listed for the latest alignment.

When and where will the new enrollment averages come out?

2019 I would think...

Previous alignments were adopted in 2007, 2011, and 2015.
It is a 4 year cycle. Interesting to see who moves down next alignment. Some schools like Fulton County are considering giving up football
(Apologies to John Prine...)

"Daddy, won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County,
Down by the Green River, where Paradise lay."

"I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in askin'
Consolidation has taken our ballteam away"
EKUAlum05 Wrote:2019 I would think...

Previous alignments were adopted in 2007, 2011, and 2015.

Those are the years when they were finalized and began but I know they were under review long before maybe even 2 years. That would have them coming out relatively soon. Numbers may be processed next fall (October comes to mind for some reason).
Blacksmith Wrote:Ive heard some of the same..At least the complaining about south Floyd kids that live way up left beaver. That's going to be a real haul for some of them

I heard some "hear say" that 100 of South Floyd kids were headed to Shelby Valley according to a parent meeting. Now that to me sounds a little far fetched but it wouldn't surprise me. Is Shelby Valley ready to take that many kids in if it does happen?
Spud6 Wrote:I heard some "hear say" that 100 of South Floyd kids were headed to Shelby Valley according to a parent meeting. Now that to me sounds a little far fetched but it wouldn't surprise me. Is Shelby Valley ready to take that many kids in if it does happen?

How far is it from South Floyd to the new school (Floyd Central)?
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:HE didn't leave the program in that kind of shape. The decline of Martin County goes far beyond their sports, in particular, football program.

You better get somebody who loves the area and the community. You match that with somebody who has had success (and, he had plenty of that at Sheldon Clark), then you better role with him.

A new school, in a district with the Trinity of mountain football, not to mention a new school made of two places that just don't have that much of a football tradition isn't going to be a big draw to the masses. Just isn't.

I think Hager would be be a knockout of a hire.
Again that's what is wrong. Because some schools haven't had great success in the past doesn't mean they shouldn't ever want anything better. We r mediocre so let's jus get anyone to coach us so we can stay that way. I'm sorry but I just don't believe in your way of thinking. Paintsville was almost ready to drop football when they made their hire & now look at them. Pikeville wasnt killin it for a long time before coach mac. Johnson central wasn't a perennial power until matney came along. Just because that's as good as you think this new school deserves doesn't mean the rest of us do. And by the way the mascot and the colors were just like the future hire - all Henry Webb. And one more for the road --- ALL eastern ky teams have been affected by the decline in the mining industry. But I will agree Sheldon Clark was prob hit the hardest
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:How far is it from South Floyd to the new school (Floyd Central)?

A good 30 minutes in a car. A bus, much longer obviously. To Shelby Valley, probably 15-20 minutes with a much easier drive.
Spud6 Wrote:A good 30 minutes in a car. A bus, much longer obviously. To Shelby Valley, probably 15-20 minutes with a much easier drive.

Thanks. I guess that's from the South Floyd area. How far is it from the existing South Floyd High School to the new Floyd Central High School, if you know?
20 minutes in car
Is there any chance that Prestonsburg moves down to 1A in the next alignment? We've seen several threads state that the Blackcats are seeing tons of transfers. Would all these transfers somehow cause them to fall into the single A category?