Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All-time 56th District Team
theres been alot of players come through the 56th district but who is the all-time all-district team?
ill start it off with keith stewart-powell, brandon hammonds-lee, james kirk-powell, etc.
James kirk quit baseball. Lets name players that at least finished high school and played in college.
james kirk was one of the best catchers to ever come through powell county and that is the bottomline. if you ever saw him play you would know that. actually no he didn't quit. from what i was told from people who played with him was he finished through his senior year.
billy jason crabtree
bigE Wrote:james kirk was one of the best catchers to ever come through powell county and that is the bottomline. if you ever saw him play you would know that. actually no he didn't quit. from what i was told from people who played with him was he finished through his senior year.

I know for a fact that you are wrong. He quit before the season started his senior year. James Crawford was the starting catcher that year. I would have to say he was a very good catcher. I was around him a long time and he was really talented. How about Scott Meadows? A ball never got past him. The people that you are talking to don't know there facts.
from what I remember...Powells past college signees
Mo Combs,Eddie Crabtree, Tim Rogers, Keith Stewart, Greg Begley, Josh Wells, Brody Napier, James Crawford ( I think), Justin Shepherd, Ryan Nolan, Matt Rigsby, Billy Jason Crabtree (walked on at Campbellsville), Cody Willoughby, Kelly Maynard, David Spangler, the Billings kid, Cameron Halfacre, Colten King, and Keanan Muncie. There are probably more, If anyone knows any more...help me. There will be more.
sorry i stand corrected...i dont know much on scott meadows...what about some of the players on lee county's regional championship teams(besides hammonds)their coach did an unbelievable job with that school. isn't he at montgomery now?
Yea he is. I think Lee has had some great players also. Probably most of the good players have come from either Powell or Lee. Scoot played in the mid 90's and I think he started all four years. Very tallented and the teams may have made it to 3 regional finals?
who are some of the others out of lee/powell
I tried to name all from Powell, but I remember or know the names of Lee county kids. Look at my list and let me know if I left anyone out.
bigE Wrote:theres been alot of players come through the 56th district but who is the all-time all-district team?

Until 1986, baseball districts and regions were different. In 1985 Bell County, Middlesboro and Cumberland were in the 14th region. Powell Co. played in a district with Clay Co., Oneida, Owsley Co., Lee Co., and Jackson Co. in the '70s.

H.S. baseball only sent district winners to the regional tournament, and there was only 8 regions up until 1975. In '76 it went to 16 regions (similar to b-ball), with semi-state tournaments (state tournament was 4 teams). This format lasted until '2003 when semi-states were best 2 of 3 and 8 teams go to the state tournament.
im pretty sure james crawford didn't play anywhere. where did halfacre go? i know that spangler isn't playing anymore, but i also heard that the billings kid quit as well. is there any truth to that.
bigE Wrote:im pretty sure james crawford didn't play anywhere. where did halfacre go? i know that spangler isn't playing anymore, but i also heard that the billings kid quit as well. is there any truth to that.

James Crawford walked-on at St Catherine's in 1998-1999. Halfacre is playing at Berea. Spangler is at Kentucky State, but sitting out this year and Billings did quit.
oh okay thanks
JustTrying Wrote:James Crawford walked-on at St Catherine's in 1998-1999. Halfacre is playing at Berea. Spangler is at Kentucky State, but sitting out this year and Billings did quit.
Colten King is playing at Union College down in Barbourville, I do believe he deserves a little bit of respect. He did play a huge role in Powell's victory in the championship game of the region last year.
Godspeed Wrote:Colten King is playing at Union College down in Barbourville, I do believe he deserves a little bit of respect. He did play a huge role in Powell's victory in the championship game of the region last year.

Look at the previous post...he was mentioned.
what did he do in the championship???
How about Matt Rigsby?
Last 10 years...
1b- JK Smith, Lee Co. (2003) Alice Lloyd
1b- King, Powell Co. (2006) Union
2b/ss- Muncie, Powell Co. (2006) Pikeville
ss- Hammons, Lee Co. (2002) Rend Lake CC / Morehead
ss/3b- Whitaker, Lee Co. (2000) Alice Lloyd
3b- Spangler, Powell Co. (2005) Pikeville
c- Todd, Lee Co. (2002) Alice Lloyd
c- McWhorter, Wolfe Co. (1998) NKU
lf- Creech, Wolfe Co. (1998)
rf- N. Stallard, Owsley Co. (1997) Centre
cf- Lynch, Owsley Co. (1997) Alice Lloyd
cf- Tipton, Powell Co. (2005)
cf- Thomas, Lee Co. (2006) Union

Top Pitchers:
Hammons, Lee Co.
Crabtree, Powell Co. (2001) Campbellsville
N. Stallard, Owsley Co.
JK Smith, Lee Co.
Lynch, Owsley Co.
Willoughby, Powell Co. (2001) K-State
Spangler, Powell Co.
Osborne, Lee Co. (2006) Union
Stamper, Powell Co./Wolfe Co. (2006) UVA-Wise
Creech, Wolfe Co.

District Winner last 10 years:
1997- Owsley Co.
1998- Wolfe Co.
1999- Lee Co.
2000- Lee Co.
2001- Powell Co.
2002- Lee Co.
2003- Powell Co.
2004- Powell Co.
2005- Powell Co.
2006- Powell Co.
Honestly can someone tell me if this guy was very good. He talks a big game. You would’ve thought he was a left handed Nolan Ryan but I can’t find any stats on him anywhere
philbilly2009 Wrote:Honestly can someone tell me if this guy was very good. He talks a big game. You would’ve thought he was a left handed Nolan Ryan but I can’t find any stats on him anywhere
Billy Crabtree Powell Co
Benedict and Freeman from Estill.