Poll: State Semi-Finals - Who ya got?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
66.67%
Corbin
33.33%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 12(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry at Corbin 11/25 **3A State Semi-Finals**
BelfryPride Wrote:Thanks man

You're welcome. not sure how far depot street is from the stadium. maybe a couple hundred yards. for the Whitley game they would pick you up and take you to the gate. maybe they'll do the same for this game.
Bucslover Wrote:Game starts at 4:30 according to Maxpreps.

I was going to delete this post for misinformation, until I checked Maxpreps. They really do have it listed as 4:30. I'm sure this is incorrect, but it would be good if someone would correct this time

HighViz Wrote:I feel like the moderator should be from Central or Western Ky. I personally think it's the funniest thing I've ever heard when the mods talk as much trash as a member, then post something like this. A mod from Pike, Harlan, should lose their Title this week! Smile Pots and Kettles are everywhere this week. Coming out of the woodwork!! People are calling each other out like crazy!! Lol. I love it.

I was a posting member for a very long time before I was asked to be a Moderator. As long as my posts don't violate the Member Rules, I will post whatever and whenever I want.

AnotherPirateTD Wrote:Nice field. But really where is the parking lot ?

There really isn't a "lot". It's mostly parking along the street.
I know Corbin has seasoned another year.
Have any of the seniors signed Letters if Intent or have offers to play at the next level?
Granny Bear Wrote:I was going to delete this post for misinformation, until I checked Maxpreps. They really do have it listed as 4:30. I'm sure this is incorrect, but it would be good if someone would correct this time.

I saw that a couple of days ago. MY guess it is listed as PST since they are associated with CalPreps. But that is a guess since I didn't research other games.
pjdoug Wrote:They don't have the greatest past defense. Catholic ain't the only team that passed ball against them. any BS you might be wading through is your own. Corbin is more balanced this year and had good passing games against the toughest competition they have faced this season.

So me asking questions is BS? Please point out the BS for me in my inquiries, or is it only BS when you don't have anything of substance to add to the conversation? Nobody is arguing that Belfry's pass defense has been lackluster at times. You know what though? They've stepped it up when it matters and it's won them a few championships. We're all very much aware that Catholic isn't the only team that passed the ball against them. Johnson Central did, Tates Creek did, Newport Cath did, and a few others. Some had success and some didn't. What teams did Corbin have success passing against with their balance? We get that they are more balanced but what makes them so? More mobile quarterback perhaps? The ability to spread the defense and pick up short yardage? Long balls?
pjdoug Wrote:You're welcome. not sure how far depot street is from the stadium. maybe a couple hundred yards. for the Whitley game they would pick you up and take you to the gate. maybe they'll do the same for this game.

Hope so...I found it, its not a long distance but it'll be chilly and rainy it appears.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IronMan86 Wrote:So me asking questions is BS? Please point out the BS for me in my inquiries, or is it only BS when you don't have anything of substance to add to the conversation? Nobody is arguing that Belfry's pass defense has been lackluster at times. You know what though? They've stepped it up when it matters and it's won them a few championships. We're all very much aware that Catholic isn't the only team that passed the ball against them. Johnson Central did, Tates Creek did, Newport Cath did, and a few others. Some had success and some didn't. What teams did Corbin have success passing against with their balance? We get that they are more balanced but what makes them so? More mobile quarterback perhaps? The ability to spread the defense and pick up short yardage? Long balls?

it was you that said BS to begin with. forget already? I already said Corbin passed the ball well against their toughest competition. Danville, Mayfield, Southwestern etc.,. I think they Belfry will have a little harder time defending them than they did last year.
BelfryPride Wrote:Hope so...I found it, its not a long distance but it'll be chilly and rainy it appears.

https://www.thenewsjournal.net/corbin-tr...d-october/ Corbin should have the trolley going full time by now. not sure if the stadium is a stop along the route or not.
pjdoug Wrote:it was you that said BS to begin with. forget already? I already said Corbin passed the ball well against their toughest competition. Danville, Mayfield, Southwestern etc.,. I think they Belfry will have a little harder time defending them than they did last year.

See that wasn't so hard was it? And I forgot nothing, you simply failed to highlight what part of my posts were BS when I was simply asking questions. The comment I made about "wading through the BS" was not in direct reference to anything you specifically said so I'll take it as you misread what I was stating. There's been plenty of BS in this thread from BOTH sides, I'm simply trying to spark some football discussion and "wade through the BS". Get me now?
Granny Bear Wrote:I was going to delete this post for misinformation, until I checked Maxpreps. They really do have it listed as 4:30. I'm sure this is incorrect, but it would be good if someone would correct this time

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...ent=kyfb16 shows the start time as 7:30 PM.
IronMan86 Wrote:See that wasn't so hard was it? And I forgot nothing, you simply failed to highlight what part of my posts were BS when I was simply asking questions. The comment I made about "wading through the BS" was not in direct reference to anything you specifically said so I'll take it as you misread what I was stating. There's been plenty of BS in this thread from BOTH sides, I'm simply trying to spark some football discussion and "wade through the BS". Get me now?

I'm suffering from severe migraines so I'm going to rest and take my eyes off this, but don't worry. as soon as I'm rested I'll be back for more trash talk Confusednicker:
HighViz Wrote:This isn't basketball Granny. This is a football thread. I know nothing about basketball. I will admit that Corbin folk maybe are arrogant at times. But by no means are nearly as bad as the Belfry peeps... oh, another thing Belfry Pride... please reread your post... especially the first and last sentence! I take it you and your posse are nothing but classy and respectful... tell another fool that, not me. Handing out Kleenex at the gate too. We can have a load shipped to pond creek right now if you choose, believe you poor lil babies need them now. Trash talkin goes both ways here in Corbin. Don't start, then expect everyone here to jus lay down and take it. : ))) Again, if you wanna complain and cry about the facility. WYMT will be carrying this one live. Stay on the couch in pond creek. Crossbones. I'll let you have my seat, I respect my elders, and the sickly. No matter if you wear a pirate jacket.

No, they are not carrying this one live!
Sad
pjdoug Wrote:it was you that said BS to begin with. forget already? I already said Corbin passed the ball well against their toughest competition. Danville, Mayfield, Southwestern etc.,. I think they Belfry will have a little harder time defending them than they did last year.

Personally I think it is hard to refute that Corbin will be tougher to defend. They have all the same pieces back and have seemingly improved their accuracy in the passing game and added some additional weapons they didn't really make a lot of use of last season.

Last year it was only the Corbin running game and throw the ball to AJ Moore.

This year the Estep and Mitchell kid have both became viable option in their passing game. Corbin has also added more formations to operate out of.

With that said, Belfry's Front 7 vs. Corbin's Front 7 is advantage Belfry all day and twice on Sunday. If Corbin is going to hurt Belfry they have to maintain balance and keep themselves in 3rd and Short all night. They are capable of this though and Belfry fans need to respect that.
I'm just tickled to death that I don't have to drive 3 1/2 hours to Bowling Green to watch this game! In my eyes, this is the 3A State Championship game. Can't wait for my sons to watch these two storied programs square off on the gridiron!!! Best of luck to both teams and safe travels for the Pirate Nation! #muchrespect
I was praying this game would be televised because there is just no way that I can walk the distance. sigh!!

Guess I'll make SUR text me updates. Confusednicker:

This has the makings of a state final game, for sure!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Personally I think it is hard to refute that Corbin will be tougher to defend. They have all the same pieces back and have seemingly improved their accuracy in the passing game and added some additional weapons they didn't really make a lot of use of last season.

Last year it was only the Corbin running game and throw the ball to AJ Moore.

This year the Estep and Mitchell kid have both became viable option in their passing game. Corbin has also added more formations to operate out of.

With that said, Belfry's Front 7 vs. Corbin's Front 7 is advantage Belfry all day and twice on Sunday. If Corbin is going to hurt Belfry they have to maintain balance and keep themselves in 3rd and Short all night. They are capable of this though and Belfry fans need to respect that.

This was the type of info I was looking for. Corbin's strengths as opposed to last year and potential weaknesses. Where they have improved and where they have regressed, if any at all (which I doubt). Athletes of worthy note who could hurt the Belfry D. Things of that nature..
Everyone seems to be in a better mood today, we're actually talking about Football!!! Respect each other. Both sides are passionate, both teams are talented. This is Thanksgiving week, be thankful for what we have.
It really is worth noting how much of KnoxCath's passing game was Rodgers streaking down the field.

JC did have some success too, but I don't see a Blanton kind of athlete out there for the Hounds. Moore is darn good but a different kind of player.
Granny Bear Wrote:I was praying this game would be televised because there is just no way that I can walk the distance. sigh!!

There is a parking lot on North Depot Street that supposedly a Trolley takes you to the gate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cat Daddy Wrote:Belfry is the team to beat in 3A this year and there is no arguing that, but if the "champs" are going to go down, I think the best chance of that happening could be Friday night. We all know Belfry is "dominant" up front, but if there is a weakness that sticks out to me, it's in the secondary. After watching the Johnson Central game, I thought to myself "Corbin can beat Belfry". Will this happen, I don't know, but I think the Redhounds have a shot. One of the things that stuck out to me, was the middle of the field being open "a lot" during this game. Johnson Central took advantage of this by hitting on a couple of long passes down the middle, but I think this was something they should have taken advantage of more often. Also, I thought Johnson Central should have thrown more to their running backs out of the backfield. This was open as well, and the two or three times they did throw to the backs, it hit for ten or more yards. I think Sizemore and the Redhounds can take advantage of this, but it all depends on how well they can run the ball against Belfry. I don't think Corbin's run game is as good as Johnson Central's, but they are good enough to keep the Belfry defense honest. With that being said, Corbin can't afford to turn the ball over in this game. If they turn the ball over, they have no chance of upsetting the Pirates. On the flip side, Belfry has turned the ball over in spurts, and if Corbin can create a couple of turnovers defensively, this will definitely help their cause. Corbin's defense has been very good this year, but they haven't seen an offensive line as good as Belfry's. If you are Greer, you stack the box and play man to man on the outside and hope for the best. Belfry will throw the ball a couple of times, but you have to trust your corners to stay disciplined. At the end of the day, it's going to be an uphill battle for Haddix and the Hounds, but if anyone can pull this off, it's Haddix. With that being said, my head says Belfry, but my heart says Corbin. I have always been told to follow your heart and I'm going with Corbin in the upset. Corbin wins 24-21!!!

This has been the best post in the thread so far and is getting overlooked.

One thing to note though is in that JC game Belfry had to move starting CB Woolum to Safety since both Adkins and Borwning were out at the same position. Johnson Central didn't necessarily "sustain" success passing, they primarily hit about 4 big plays for large chunks of yards. One was a trick play that Belfry took away the primary read but had a busted coverage on Frisby. The others were deep passes to Blanton, two on coverage busts between the Safety and Corner, the third just a great throw and catch that Blanton made a sliding catch. Can't make an excuse that the Woolum move was the reason (in fact Hunter made a couple game changing plays at CB to help them win), but it is worth pointing out he was playing Safety for the first and only time in his career.

With Browning back this allows Woolum to move to his natural CB position.

With all that said, there is absolutely no denying that if there is one question mark on this Pirate team this year it has been the deep pass. KnoxCath exposed it with Amari Rodgers and JC exposed it with Geordan Blanton.

It is worth noting though that with the exception of Browning replacing an injured Adkins, this is the same secondary though that shut down LexCath's big play ability last year in the Finals so they are capable of locking teams down if they can avoid the busts. It is also a secondary that has picked off 19 passes.
IronMan86 Wrote:This was the type of info I was looking for. Corbin's strengths as opposed to last year and potential weaknesses. Where they have improved and where they have regressed, if any at all (which I doubt). Athletes of worthy note who could hurt the Belfry D. Things of that nature..

Stick with it... everyone was all into their feelings this weekend and puffing their chests. I am thinking people will start coming around as they look into their opponent more.

I am expecting a great game.
Gotta wonder going into JC how much we prepared for them to go into passing mode like that. (Maybe a lot I hadn't seen them previously, I just know traditionally they're run first)
Granny Bear Wrote:I was praying this game would be televised because there is just no way that I can walk the distance. sigh!!

game is supposed to the televised by WYMT
If Belfry fans don't think that Corbin fans will pack the stadium they are crazy. There will be red on the home side, Corbin red. One of the most passionate fan bases, along with Belfry, around. With no school on Friday, if you are trying to get a seat or a good place to stand you better get there early. As far as Campbell Field, not a bad seat in the stadium. Most of the time when I have attended games, I have preferred to stand along the fences. Parking can be a little suspect, especially with a game of this magnitude, but I would imagine Corbin will transport people like they have done in previous years past. The press box is more than adequate, and Corbin's facilities are top notch in every sport. Their administration does a wonderful job, to the best of my experiences. Friday night will be what high school football is supposed to be like in small towns in Kentucky. Hoping I can make the trip down to Corbin, stop at Sonny's, and watch some good high school football. Should be a great one!
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:game is supposed to the televised by WYMT

It isn't going to be televised.

Sad
Belfry.... they get the W and set up a Belfry vs. Central state final.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Found a picture of Campbell Field. Plenty of space and a great venue to watch high school football.

[IMG][/IMG]
Corbin pulls the upset 21-14
Belfry vs. Corbin. #1 vs. #2. The game everyone has waited for. The game the Corbin coaching staff and players have circled on their calendars almost 365 days ago. It's almost here. The wait is just about over. It's just about time to put up or shut up for both programs. It's been a great season for both teams. But....it's gonna come to an end for one Friday night.

This is not David vs. Goliath. This is Goliath vs. Goliath. Two tradition rich programs with a lot of pride, enthusiasm and frenzied fan bases.

No doubt Corbin has improved. They've gotten stronger. Offensively, they're more balanced. But Belfry has improved as well. Belfry's stronger. Offensively, they're more balanced. Not balanced in terms of passing.....but balanced in terms of QB Noah Corbett's role in the overall offensive scheme that Belfry uses. Last year....Corbett was maybe the 3rd or even 4th option......not anymore.

Ultimately.....this game will come down to 4 or 5 areas:

1. What team can consistently stay in front of the chains?
2. Turnovers
3. Penalties
4. Special teams
5. Strength

I've said from Day 1 that Belfry and Central were on a collision course for another battle in Bowling Green. I've not seen anything from Corbin to change my mind. I see the game being relatively close for a half. But...IMO, Belfry's overall size, strength and IMO, better talent will completely take over.

However.....If Belfry finds themselves constantly behind the chains.....if they put the ball on the turf multiple times....then I can see Corbin staying in this thing. Being at home will help the Redhounds...especially if Belfry's offense begins to sputter.

I just don't expect that. These Belfry kids have been through the 'wars" so to speak. Three straight Championships.....game after game after game of always being the hunted. I actually look for Belfry to do some hunting Friday night.

Safe travels.
IronMan86 Wrote:I'm honestly interested to hear the rationale of some Corbin fans. For the sake of discussion of course, what does their offense possess that will allow them to do what very few other teams have done against Belfry's defense? Not many teams can say they've eclipsed the 40 point mark on Belfry in recent years, and it has peaked my curiosity as to what the rationale is behind these thoughts. This is not in jest or arrogance, just for the sake of good football discussion which is why we're all here for the most part.

I have no dog in this fight, but it seems as though there is nothing but nonsense coming from Corbin fans as far as predictions on this game are concerned.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
  •  Previous
  • 12(current)
  • Next