Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Steve Stonebraker, Casey County 3A
Coach Stonebraker should be coach cof the year this year in my book, in the state of Kentucky. Casey county took the same kids, without 3 star (my own rating) DJ White selected to the Border Bowl and recruited to EKU, Isaiah Phillips (brother lead Campbellsville college in all purpose yards last year), 2 key lineman one that played for Campbellsville college this year. Stoney took that team, without all those guys that left and took a team that went 4-6 in the regular season, to 9-1, and overall record of 5-7 losing to Corbin 40+ to 7 in the 2nd round, to an overall 10-2 this year, and being within striking distance of Corbin in the 4th quarter of the regional championship, finishing 38-17 to what I've been told is a superior Corbin team. Casey has beaten Bell, played competitive against Corbin twice, beaten Lincoln for the first time ever, and beaten it's first 5A team ever. Casey has its best record in school history this year, setting passing records, receiving, and is going to send multiple kids to the next level keeping kids grades up was also a strong point with the coaching staff. Coach Stonebraker basically has changed Casey Counties non football (oft times non caring) culture, 2 times, once his first time here as a cocky young 21/22 year old former wide out, to a now seasoned 20 year head coach. Take into account an Adair team that put a running clock on Casey county by the 2nd quarter last year (54-6 final score...), and was still more athletic than us this year, and Casey defeats them 36-26. A 58 point turn around!? I know coach Haywood is almost always, or should always be, the coach of the year in this state. His record is nuts, the culture he has helped seed out East. Other coaches, coach Scroggins for Central who I think is underrated by a great deal. But I don't know of any coach, this year who has had a more positive, record changing, and culture changing difference in a program.
Great season for Coach Stonebraker and Casey County on a phenomenal year
E's Army Wrote:Great season for Coach Stonebraker and Casey County on a phenomenal year

Thank you sir. Been a long road to getting success. We've had some great coaches that care and would do anything for the program. We just needed to figure out an offensive identity. Coach Stoney gave us that, one that fit with these particular kids talent level. If we had a bunch of 6'5" 275 pound lineman across the board we could run a little of Belfry's stuff maybe. But I think we maximized what we have for the most part. Now we have to get the numbers up even higher. I know we have a very low number of 8th graders entering high-school next year, potentially could hurt us a couple of years. After that though, if we can keep Stonebraker, our little league numbers have been phenomenal. I'd just like to be able to compete with Corbin year in and out, Central, Lexington Cath and Boyle, and even Bell when they get "back up". I'm sure Bell won't stay down for too awfully long. Anyways, thanks and best of luck to all left in the playoffs.
smoke1015 Wrote:Thank you sir. Been a long road to getting success. We've had some great coaches that care and would do anything for the program. We just needed to figure out an offensive identity. Coach Stoney gave us that, one that fit with these particular kids talent level. If we had a bunch of 6'5" 275 pound lineman across the board we could run a little of Belfry's stuff maybe. But I think we maximized what we have for the most part. Now we have to get the numbers up even higher. I know we have a very low number of 8th graders entering high-school next year, potentially could hurt us a couple of years. After that though, if we can keep Stonebraker, our little league numbers have been phenomenal. I'd just like to be able to compete with Corbin year in and out, Central, Lexington Cath and Boyle, and even Bell when they get "back up". I'm sure Bell won't stay down for too awfully long. Anyways, thanks and best of luck to all left in the playoffs.

Couldn't be happier for Stoney and Casey Co. There isn't a better person out there roaming the sidelines. After several rough years of late b/t Woodford and J-town; I was damn glad to see him and Casey have the year they had!

With that said, there are plenty of people playing Friday night that are running up and down the field 80+% of the time that don't have 6'5 275+ pound linemen across the board up front. Total misconception. Belfry is an outlier. Their size (and skill level within that size) and dominance is out of this world.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Couldn't be happier for Stoney and Casey Co. There isn't a better person out there roaming the sidelines. After several rough years of late b/t Woodford and J-town; I was damn glad to see him and Casey have the year they had!

With that said, there are plenty of people playing Friday night that are running up and down the field 80+% of the time that don't have 6'5 275+ pound linemen across the board up front. Total misconception. Belfry is an outlier. Their size (and skill level within that size) and dominance is out of this world.

Oh no, no misconception everyone has those types of players. Just saying, Stoney put in an offense that suited this particular group. With our really speedy kid who has excellent hands, excellent body control and balance, he wasn't put at running back exclusively (or really much at all)and told to run up the 1 and 2 hole behind either no blocking, no fullback etc.., taking a speedster edge kid who weighs about 165 soaking wet and trying to pound away with him. Actually we do have some great blockers. A center who is 285 pounds and runs a sub 5 second forty and blew a few college coaches minds with his shuttle time. As well as squatting just under 680 and a deadlift of just under 650...So I guess we are actually blessed more than a few with some of our line guys. We just needed to get these guys in positions to succeed. I would love to keep every coach we've ever had, they all add something to the program. In the end our fates still came together with Corbin and we lost. But the regular season sure was a lot more fun. Maybe the biggest deal about Stonebraker, in a town like Casey where people 100% have not bought into football and 100% are not bought into sticking to something, he has managed to get 50+ kids out to play and has only lost maybe 2 of them. This is the first year we've finished with over 22 kids in I don't know how long. Last year when we played Corbin, we had 18 kids dressed to play. The year before, long trip to Louisville Central, we had 21 or 22 kids dressed to play. Not fun.
That was a masterful coaching performance this season. No question about it!
smoke1015 Wrote:Coach Stonebraker should be coach cof the year this year in my book, in the state of Kentucky. Casey county took the same kids, without 3 star (my own rating) DJ White selected to the Border Bowl and recruited to EKU, Isaiah Phillips (brother lead Campbellsville college in all purpose yards last year), 2 key lineman one that played for Campbellsville college this year. Stoney took that team, without all those guys that left and took a team that went 4-6 in the regular season, to 9-1, and overall record of 5-7 losing to Corbin 40+ to 7 in the 2nd round, to an overall 10-2 this year, and being within striking distance of Corbin in the 4th quarter of the regional championship, finishing 38-17 to what I've been told is a superior Corbin team. Casey has beaten Bell, played competitive against Corbin twice, beaten Lincoln for the first time ever, and beaten it's first 5A team ever. Casey has its best record in school history this year, setting passing records, receiving, and is going to send multiple kids to the next level keeping kids grades up was also a strong point with the coaching staff. Coach Stonebraker basically has changed Casey Counties non football (oft times non caring) culture, 2 times, once his first time here as a cocky young 21/22 year old former wide out, to a now seasoned 20 year head coach. Take into account an Adair team that put a running clock on Casey county by the 2nd quarter last year (54-6 final score...), and was still more athletic than us this year, and Casey defeats them 36-26. A 58 point turn around!? I know coach Haywood is almost always, or should always be, the coach of the year in this state. His record is nuts, the culture he has helped seed out East. Other coaches, coach Scroggins for Central who I think is underrated by a great deal. But I don't know of any coach, this year who has had a more positive, record changing, and culture changing difference in a program.

Casey's Coaching Staff led by Coach Stonebreaker did a great job this year. While his accolades are warranted I am a sure Coach Stone would rather deflect all the credit to his kids/players who bought in to what he was selling.

His humility is what makes him a good coach!!
I took notice of how Casey has turned around this year myself and I'm pretty much out of the loop on high school football anymore except for keeping up with the close local teams and what I see on here. Great to see a small rural school like Casey County and schools like Wayne County and Rockcastle do well and have good years. It brings a whole lot of pride to those smaller communities. Congrats to Stonebreaker and his team on an excellent season and continued success.
Maybe the success will bring enough extra support to garner enough attention for the school board to pony up funds for better athletic facilities. I haven't been down there since about spring of 2014, but for instance, separating the baseball and football fields a little better. Always liked the people and the atmosphere down there when we'd travel from Rockcastle, but, the baseball outfield was the football field as I remember.
papagrit Wrote:I took notice of how Casey has turned around this year myself and I'm pretty much out of the loop on high school football anymore except for keeping up with the close local teams and what I see on here. Great to see a small rural school like Casey County and schools like Wayne County and Rockcastle do well and have good years. It brings a whole lot of pride to those smaller communities. Congrats to Stonebreaker and his team on an excellent season and continued success.
Maybe the success will bring enough extra support to garner enough attention for the school board to pony up funds for better athletic facilities. I haven't been down there since about spring of 2014, but for instance, separating the baseball and football fields a little better. Always liked the people and the atmosphere down there when we'd travel from Rockcastle, but, the baseball outfield was the football field as I remember.

You may be thinking of Russell County. They have the same problem if not worse. It is amazing how nice their field is considering it is shared and the coaching staff basically takes care of it themselves - that and their two practice fields.
The Cross Movement Wrote:You may be thinking of Russell County. They have the same problem if not worse. It is amazing how nice their field is considering it is shared and the coaching staff basically takes care of it themselves - that and their two practice fields.

No Sir. I actually had forgotten about the Lakers having a similar setup as you say. Casey is set up this way as well and it creates an odd baseball outfield. Casey had built a very nice little girls softball field setup when I was last there but the baseball field was still shared. Casey County does have a track complex that sits alone away from the football and baseball fields. My boys played baseball and ran track there as well as played basketball there. No football for them, but, I did play football there in the mid 1980's. I remember Casey County had some really cute girl managers on the football team while we had a little sawed off good natured fellow named Stump managing ours at Berea.:biggrin:
What a great job he has done
It's hard to tell how they pick coaches of the year. For 6 straight years Mayfield had a coach that played in a state championship in 1a to watch as someone else got named coach of the year. Then in 2015, he has to move his undersized team up to 2a and goes 14-1 enroute to another state championship. Their only loss coming in OT to a 6a school. Once again not coach of the year. Then you hear everyone say, well Mayfield doesn't send anyone to college. Well that should tell you that he is doing more with less. 90% of their games you look on the field and see them undersized at every single position and still win. Yet, no coach of the year. So, good luck with your argument because somehow they can't figure the system out.
Agree Stonebreaker did a nice job, but he was left with some really good players and players with playing experience. Time will tell what kind of coach he is!
QB was a three year starter and carried that team.
#32 maybe one of the best athlete in the state
Returned a lot of really solid lineman.
Coach of the Year: Not so fast my friend!