Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roll call... who is going to Bowling Green?
truebluefan89 Wrote:Bowling green is about 2.5 hours from the far west (i.e.Mayfield or Paducah)
Lexington is about 4 hours

that is BS, it might be 2 1/2 hours if you think old country road. from Hazard, it is about 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours drive. but there isn't shit to do in BG, like there are in Lex and Louisville. I use to run around in BG and Simpson Co. there wasn't shit to do in BG back then. I guess it is still the same way now.
Per Google Earth:

The eastern most point of Kentucky to the western most point of Kentucky is 523 miles

From Bowling Green to Paducah, 144 miles
I had to do some serious finagling (and pay some cash) to get free Sunday afternoon. But you best believe I will be watching and praying for the Central Golden Eagles Sunday afternoon in Bowling Green. I sacrificed, and worked, and I know the boys and coaches have as well. Regardless of the final outcome, we have all done our best, and I am ready to watch an awesome 4A final with respect for both teams. Let's do this. I work 7p-7a that Saturday night, sleep a couple hours, drive to WKU for the game, and then have to be back in Louisville to work 1am-7am, and had to pay someone to cover it. So yeah. I was born black and gold for generations,and live and breathe it. And win or lose, I will be there screaming to the end. And I am happy to have the chance to. Perhaps for some schools, you take this for granted...but never here. Go Golden Eagles and make this alumnus proud.
cj2561 Wrote:that is BS, it might be 2 1/2 hours if you think old country road. from Hazard, it is about 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours drive. but there isn't shit to do in BG, like there are in Lex and Louisville. I use to run around in BG and Simpson Co. there wasn't shit to do in BG back then. I guess it is still the same way now.

Far from it. Bowling Green has more restaurants per capita than any town in the country (or they did in recent years). Hell of a town. Not a city (thankfully), but one hell of a town. Downtown night is a great time.
I think it's difficult to maneuver.

But then, I tend to get lost everywhere I go!!

Smile
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Far from it. Bowling Green has more restaurants per capita than any town in the country (or they did in recent years). Hell of a town. Not a city (thankfully), but one hell of a town. Downtown night is a great time.

what do you want to do. go to all the restaurants and eat. you will be a fat ass in less then a week. I ideal of fun is not going to a restaurants.
Mine is!!!

Confusednicker:
cj2561 Wrote:what do you want to do. go to all the restaurants and eat. you will be a fat ass in less then a week. I ideal of fun is not going to a restaurants.

eating and traveling is living.
Granny Bear Wrote:Mine is!!!

Confusednicker:

You must be kin to me.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I don't mean this negatively, b/c I like I've said...I have family in far WKY and best/close friends in far EKY & a sister in Boone County (true NKY). But when you CHOOSE to live in these sections of the state (and, I'd live in either three of them tomorrow), isn't it kind of expected that travel hard ships to where most things are "going on"in this state is almost a certainty (not for all or everything, but that's kind of what you accept living there? NKY folks really only have a problem with the football finals, as they are located in the Golden Triangle themselves).

West Kentucky has much better barbecue than the East does :biggrin:
cj2561 Wrote:what do you want to do. go to all the restaurants and eat. you will be a fat ass in less then a week. I ideal of fun is not going to a restaurants.

I'm not even really sure how to respond to this.

1) You're going for a week? Damn. I thought my wife was a great one never saying a word the last 10 years about me going down for 3 days.

2) I work out a crap load, mainly so I can eat.

3) Drinking (which I like to have a few myself) will put the weight on just as much. But maybe you missed the part about me saying BG has a great downtown night life?

4) I'm over the club scene, but they have those downtown, too. Plus several college bars close to campus (I'm now one of the "old guys", so I don't venture to those anymore despite only being in my early-mid 30's.

5) You seem very angry. Why so? State football finals plus the time of year where you eat, drink and be merry...the hell else is needed?
pjdoug Wrote:West Kentucky has much better barbecue than the East does :biggrin:

If you go to Owensboro, Henderson and points on west....they have some dang fine BBQ. I'm not very up to date on my EKY BBQ joints, so I can't really say Dougy.
pjdoug Wrote:eating and traveling is living.

Thank ya.
Louisville was a terrible place for finals and I'm certain Lexington will feel the same. BG is the best place by far. Bottom line is if you want to go you'll go no matter how far it is so stop whining.
I say move it to morehead
The worst part is after this weekend no more HS football games for about 250 days.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I'm not even really sure how to respond to this.

1) You're going for a week? Damn. I thought my wife was a great one never saying a word the last 10 years about me going down for 3 days.

2) I work out a crap load, mainly so I can eat.

3) Drinking (which I like to have a few myself) will put the weight on just as much. But maybe you missed the part about me saying BG has a great downtown night life?

4) I'm over the club scene, but they have those downtown, too. Plus several college bars close to campus (I'm now one of the "old guys", so I don't venture to those anymore despite only being in my early-mid 30's.

5) You seem very angry. Why so? State football finals plus the time of year where you eat, drink and be merry...the hell else is needed?

I work my fork like a shovel a lot. I'm fat. I like good food Smile
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:If you go to Owensboro, Henderson and points on west....they have some dang fine BBQ. I'm not very up to date on my EKY BBQ joints, so I can't really say Dougy.

I've had barbecue at a lot of places in the state including Mooonlite and Old Hickory at Owensboro, and Thomason's at Henderson Smile. I've had it at Pig in a Poke at Pikeville. Monroe County style barbecue places at Tompkinsville and Bowling Green are some of the best .
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Thank ya.

You're very welcome Smile