Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roll call... who is going to Bowling Green?
Granny Bear Wrote:That's where we are staying!!

Look us up! Just follow the loud laughter!!

I thought you were staying with us Granny... The Pond Creek Nation!
I am!!

Just getting old! Thanks for the nudge. I can just see myself at Marriott demanding my reservation!
Confusednicker:
I wasn't gonna press with this being the first year in my son's career that we didn't make it. But his mom, he and I talked last night. Looks like we are gonna get to go watch Belfry for the first time. My wife really wants to see them play.
Granny Bear...... I would 5,000 to 1 rather have snow over rain.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
THOMCAT Wrote:Lexington, KY will be the home of the state championship games as soon as the current contract expires. Mark it down.

I hope you're right.
I believe if UK wants the state championships, UK will get the state championships. I would not mind the drive.
adopted purple Wrote:I believe if UK wants the state championships, UK will get the state championships. I would not mind the drive.

Well, now that Commonwealth Stadium has turf, then I expect the school to put in a bid for the Championship Games. Plus the KHSAA is headquartered in Lexington. There's Ample parking, Ample amount of hotels and seating and no more than a 3 hour trip for anyone outside of Mayfield. Also, we wouldnt have to worry about C-USA Title games anymore.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I never got to attend a state champion game at the old Cardinal Stadium.... too bad it's gone.

I've been to PJCS (2004 & 2005) and my blood almost froze. But it felt like a major event. Only teams I knew was Belfry in '04 and Russell in '05.

Last year, at WKU, it was awesome getting to see my school play for their first state title... but it didn't feel like a major event. Just kinda felt ho-hum.

The KHSAA doesn't do enough to make it feel like this is a state championship.
The Sweet 16 feels like you are watching a true main event (state championship).

IMO, more could be done to make this event spectacular.
pjdoug Wrote:I hope you're right.

BelfryPride Wrote:Well, now that Commonwealth Stadium has turf, then I expect the school to put in a bid for the Championship Games. Plus the KHSAA is headquartered in Lexington. There's Ample parking, Ample amount of hotels and seating and no more than a 3 hour trip for anyone outside of Mayfield. Also, we wouldnt have to worry about C-USA Title games anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to stay in BG, but I understand where you are coming from. UK is more centrally located. I use to love making those trips to Louisville to watch the games. Lexington isn't much further.
^^My husband went with a friend of his to watch his friend's son play in Louisville one year. He swore he would NEVER watch another game up there. LOL They nearly froze to death!!!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Granny Bear...... I would 5,000 to 1 rather have snow over rain.

I don't mind the snow at all as long as I can make that final 30 mile drive home from Pineville! The elevation increases all the way from there, and the roads get worse.
Smile
I'll be there to watch the Pirates go for #6! Would love to have been able to cheer on Johnson Central winning their first title but now it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Good Luck anyway J.C., you got this!
Interesting problem, with WKU hosting the playoff game.

Similar situation happened in Maryland. After years of playing their state titles at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, this year with the move from turf to grass, the MPSSAA moved their title games to Naval-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium at the Naval Academy in Annapolis.

Now, Navy is also hosting their conference championship game against Temple this Saturday at Naval-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. MPSSAA plays 3A on Thursday night, 4A on Friday night, and the 1A/2A games on Saturday.

So, instead of reworking schedules around the game, they simply postponed the championships one week so they could play them as originally scheduled, just a week later. No Sunday games, etc.

Interesting how KY and MD handled things.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Granny Bear...... I would 5,000 to 1 rather have snow over rain.

rain is a good thang.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I never got to attend a state champion game at the old Cardinal Stadium.... too bad it's gone.

I've been to PJCS (2004 & 2005) and my blood almost froze. But it felt like a major event. Only teams I knew was Belfry in '04 and Russell in '05.

Last year, at WKU, it was awesome getting to see my school play for their first state title... but it didn't feel like a major event. Just kinda felt ho-hum.

The Sweet 16 feels like you are watching a true main event (state championship).

I agree.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I never got to attend a state champion game at the old Cardinal Stadium.... too bad it's gone.

I've attended many State Championships in Louisville, most of the city had no idea that it was happening.

BG and WKU does a great job with the Championships other than the CUSA thing. I worry that LEX would be about like Louisville

Lexington would be much closer for me but I love the WKU setting and it is centrally located for most teams, other than the far east (pike County). Most folks can get to BG in under 3 hours. LEX would be a 4-5 hour drive for the far west.

I'm fine either place....If it moves back to Louisville I would refuse to go unless my team is playing.
If KHSAA would go ahead and post a schedule instead of waiting to see if WKU would be hosting CUSA game it would be very beneficial. I booked my room about 6 months back, had to cancel Thursday night. Just go ahead and schedule as if WKU will be hosting, it would save everyone a lot of trouble.
i was going to go watch 1A and 4A Friday, and be back home around 7 that night. but now the 1A game not until 8 that night. it will be 1 to 3AM before I get back home now.
campbellfield Wrote:I've been to PJCS (2004 & 2005) and my blood almost froze. But it felt like a major event. Only teams I knew was Belfry in '04 and Russell in '05.

I've attended many State Championships in Louisville, most of the city had no idea that it was happening.

BG and WKU does a great job with the Championships other than the CUSA thing. I worry that LEX would be about like Louisville

Lexington would be much closer for me but I love the WKU setting and it is centrally located for most teams, other than the far east (pike County). Most folks can get to BG in under 3 hours. LEX would be a 4-5 hour drive for the far west.

I'm fine either place....If it moves back to Louisville I would refuse to go unless my team is playing.

WKU IS NOT Centrally Located. Take a look at a map. No way anybody can tell me Warren County is 'Centrally Located'. There is a reason why it's called Western Kentucky University.
Western is the MOST centrally located BIG stadium in the state. The geographic center of the state is in campbellsville. No big stadium is closer than BG. That being said, I think the trip talk is much ado about nothing. Any school that is going to have a big drive, will just come a day early, and get rooms. A lot are probably already doing that.
campbellfield Wrote:I've been to PJCS (2004 & 2005) and my blood almost froze. But it felt like a major event. Only teams I knew was Belfry in '04 and Russell in '05.

I agree. There is a lot of room for improving the atmosphere at the games to appear like it is a state championship. In my experience, the fans do a nice job of that but the venue should spice it up a little.
My husband will NEVER go back to Louisville for this tournament. He still shivers when he talks about the one game he saw up there.

cj2561 Wrote:i was going to go watch 1A and 4A Friday, and be back home around 7 that night. but now the 1A game not until 8 that night. it will be 1 to 3AM before I get back home now.

Because of the schedule change, I won't be able to watch the Hazard or Pulaski Co games. Sad

Single Wing 77 Wrote:Western is the MOST centrally located BIG stadium in the state. The geographic center of the state is in campbellsville. No big stadium is closer than BG. That being said, I think the trip talk is much ado about nothing. Any school that is going to have a big drive, will just come a day early, and get rooms. A lot are probably already doing that.

It's a lonnng drive for me, but it is, after all, my choice to do it. Once we get there, I really like the venue. The fans provide the atmosphere and I really like the stadium.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:WKU IS NOT Centrally Located. Take a look at a map. No way anybody can tell me Warren County is 'Centrally Located'. There is a reason why it's called Western Kentucky University.

it sure ain't. for me Bowling Green is about twice as far as Lexington.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Western is the MOST centrally located BIG stadium in the state. The geographic center of the state is in campbellsville. No big stadium is closer than BG. That being said, I think the trip talk is much ado about nothing. Any school that is going to have a big drive, will just come a day early, and get rooms. A lot are probably already doing that.
so it's about the schools, and the fans can just stay home? lol
Pulp Fiction Wrote:WKU IS NOT Centrally Located. Take a look at a map. No way anybody can tell me Warren County is 'Centrally Located'. There is a reason why it's called Western Kentucky University.

Calling WKU actual "Western Kentucky" is no different than referring to EKU as actual "Eastern Kentucky". There is really nothing Western or Eastern about either of them.

For what it's worth, it sits right on I-65, which more or less cuts the state in half.

What throws BG off from being centrally located is where it sits in terms of North/South KY, not really East/West. It's an hour south of Elizabethtown, which is about as Centrally located as any town in the state (a spot in Marion County, some 45 mins from E-town is the actual geographic center of the state). E-town is also known as the "Hub City" of the state. It's damn near two hours or less from just about everywhere (in terms of the vast majority of the population of this state).

I've been the biggest component of the finals being held in WKU/BG, but I also understand the dilemma the last two years have caused and I agree.....I'd love to see it at UK, also.

People in the far ends of the state (throw in NKY) are always going to have travel hardships. Is what it is. The bulk of my family lives in REAL WKY (down around Land Between the Lakes) and they have a 2 hour trip to Bowling Green (many don't want to hear that given that the finals are at Western KENTUCKY University), and people in Paducah on West & South (it goes on forever) have it even farther.
I don't mean this negatively, b/c I like I've said...I have family in far WKY and best/close friends in far EKY & a sister in Boone County (true NKY). But when you CHOOSE to live in these sections of the state (and, I'd live in either three of them tomorrow), isn't it kind of expected that travel hard ships to where most things are "going on"in this state is almost a certainty (not for all or everything, but that's kind of what you accept living there? NKY folks really only have a problem with the football finals, as they are located in the Golden Triangle themselves).
Ive been to state games at Eastern, Louisville, and BG. None of them seemed very exciting. For me its because the stadiums are too big. you just dont get the same energy and excitment as you do with a packed house like you would if any of these teams played each other at a smaller place. IT just feels so empty, even if a team brings a good amount of people. Ive been to Sweet Sixteen in Louisville and Lexington. I believe the games would have been a lot less exciting in Freedom Hall and Rupp if they would have been nearly empty like they are at the Fb championships. Theres just too much of a disconect.
mightydog Wrote:Ive been to state games at Eastern, Louisville, and BG. None of them seemed very exciting. For me its because the stadiums are too big. you just dont get the same energy and excitment as you do with a packed house like you would if any of these teams played each other at a smaller place. IT just feels so empty, even if a team brings a good amount of people. Ive been to Sweet Sixteen in Louisville and Lexington. I believe the games would have been a lot less exciting if Freedom Hall and Rupp would have been nearly empty like they are at the Fb championships. Theres just too much of a disconect.

It's a catch 22....UK and UL there is a definite lack of atmosphere. BG has the best atmosphere & EKU probably would, maybe more due to their smaller sized stadium.

For what it's worth, those Wednesday/Thursday games for the Sweet 16 in recent years for the most part haven't exactly been stellar. You almost could always bank on the schools bringing a crowd, but most (on those days at least, unless it's a Lex area school) are pretty sad.
Bowling Green is in South Central Kentucky. Because WKU is here, people think it's in Western Kentucky. It's not folks. Mayfield is a long drive from here.
Bowling green is about 2.5 hours from the far west (i.e.Mayfield or Paducah)
Lexington is about 4 hours
Warren, Fayette and Jefferson counties are highlighted yellow.... IMO, the only three counties with a shot to host the state football finals.

There is no way by looking at this map that you can tell me Bowling Green is centrally located.

[Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/att...1480624976]