Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 2016 - 2017
Thoughts on their season. Ended last season with a 7-22 record losing in the first round of district tournament to South Floyd by 31. So far 0-1 with loss to Breathitt Co. by 19. The have Phelps scheduled 4 times and Piarist 2. With the loss of Frasure and Hager injured I think they win 4 games this year. Keep up the good work Coach James. :Cheerlead
according to maxpreps they are running a 12 man roster with about 9 of them guards. Im guessing they don't have much size this season..Gonna be a rough one.I really hpe they can do something with their season :disappoint:
They play hard
Shelby Valley by 22 tonight 67 - 45.
19 point loss to Phelps!! Piarist may be the only wins we have all year. Thanks Mr Butcher, all we have left is baseball.
Wasn't the Phelps game at Pburg?
Blackcat2001 Wrote:19 point loss to Phelps!! Piarist may be the only wins we have all year. Thanks Mr Butcher, all we have left is baseball.

Butcher isn't the one to blame. He has to answer to someone as well, and that's who's shoulders this falls on. Webb is a joke.
Wait till Floyd Central opens. Anyone that can play a lick will be headed there or Johnson Co.
Don't know how to feel, what to do, or what to say. Just keep your heads up kids. There's more to life than sports.
Big Don Wrote:Wait till Floyd Central opens. Anyone that can play a lick will be headed there or Johnson Co.

I don't think you will see any of those kids headed to the new school. I look for most to go to either Paintsville or Johnson Central. I don't think they want to keep lining the pockets of the Floyd Co admin.
Big Don Wrote:Wait till Floyd Central opens. Anyone that can play a lick will be headed there or Johnson Co.

In my opinion that is what Henry is hoping for. He knows after next year the talent is gone.
I heard the fathers of a couple middle school athletes the last week said theres would be going to the new school instead of pburg unless things changed drastically..
I just hate all this "stuff" for the kids....The players. They show up, practice and give some of their best young years to these programs..
The kids should be thought about first..Not grown men ego's..
Glory Days Wrote:I don't think you will see any of those kids headed to the new school. I look for most to go to either Paintsville or Johnson Central. I don't think they want to keep lining the pockets of the Floyd Co admin.

Why wouldn't they go to Floyd Central? They would be able to play right away there. And I hear that Hager may be the football coach so he knows our kids.
Congrats on your 46 point win vs Piarist. The coaching staff watch many hours of game film in preparation for the Knights and put together a magnificent game plan. Holding a team to only 17 for an entire 4 quarters is unheard of these days. I've had my doubts about Coach James but his coaching in this game was nothing short of a Bob Knight type performance.
Blackcat2001 Wrote:Why wouldn't they go to Floyd Central? They would be able to play right away there. And I hear that Hager may be the football coach so he knows our kids.

If you're talking about high school basketball, 0 Prestonsburg players have a legitimate shot at playing right away at Floyd central next year. I don't think anyone on pburgs roster can out play JR Tackett, Jake Collins, Brady Conn, Cameron Nelson, Dylan Caudill, or Ethan Smith-Mills
Blackcat2001 Wrote:Why wouldn't they go to Floyd Central? They would be able to play right away there. And I hear that Hager may be the football coach so he knows our kids.
Its not going to happen. the middle school kids will be in johnson or pike county.

Because they would still be under the same sticky, manipulative, corrupt, testicle-less spider WEBB. I agree with the others, these kids will be in Johnson or Pike county.
Pikeville will be in a reload season so there will be opportunities to play there but Paintsville has 9 starters returning on defense and 8 on offense. Very little chance of much action outside of maybe special teams there and Johnson Central, well they are Johnson Central they are smack dabbed loaded with young players. Sounds like Floyd Central would be best option to get on field but I can see why they may not want to be part of the Floyd County School System also.
AllMountainSports Wrote:If you're talking about high school basketball, 0 Prestonsburg players have a legitimate shot at playing right away at Floyd central next year. I don't think anyone on pburgs roster can out play JR Tackett, Jake Collins, Brady Conn, Cameron Nelson, Dylan Caudill, or Ethan Smith-Mills
Prestonsburg has some good freshmen that could contribute starting next season as sophmores. then you bring in the 8th grade class they have in middle school and they have potential to be great. unfortunately they'll end up splitting up unless changes are made in prestonsburg.
South Floyd 90 Prestonsburg 60. Same story different game. Hearing there may have been an altercation between parents and coaches.
UpYours Wrote:South Floyd 90 Prestonsburg 60. Same story different game. Hearing there may have been an altercation between parents and coaches.
im sure it was the parents fault like always :eyeroll:
Let me get this straight, a college coach can't but a high school coach can. What am i missing here.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...ical-abuse
I just think its funny that james just about fought one of the parents after the south floyd game. those idiots are out of control.
SportsJunk Wrote:I just think its funny that james just about fought one of the parents after the south floyd game. those idiots are out of control.

He was blaming the players and making fun of them saying they got beat by a bunch of hick-hollar-cat-hillbilies. He thinks he is better than people from Phelps and South Floyd, you know, the non city folk. :hilarious:

Score from last night Magoffin 65 Pburg 42
Elliot Co. 65 Prestonsburg 40.
The baseball players sitting in the stands could beat the basketball team James is putting on the floor by 20, which apparently is what James likes to get beat by.
All jokes and trolling aside......

Is Prestonsburg really in this bad of shape?
Not just in basketball, but their entire athletic program.

If not, then why all the Hate towards Pburg?

If so, what are the causes?
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
UpYours Wrote:He was blaming the players and making fun of them saying they got beat by a bunch of hick-hollar-cat-hillbilies. He thinks he is better than people from Phelps and South Floyd, you know, the non city folk. :hilarious:

Score from last night Magoffin 65 Pburg 42

I call BS on this. There have been issues with PHS athletics for a few seasons now. This is eastern Ky; we're all hillbillies. South Floyd beat Prestonsburg three times last season.
What in the world is going on with Prestonsburg basketball? I just noticed that between both the boys and the girls teams, they have one combined win and that being Piarist.
Is there a bigger issue going on in Floyd County that hasn't come to light yet? I know there are other sports offered by these schools, but let's look at the numbers of Football and Boys & Girls Basketball.

Prestonsburg
Boys: 1-10 (Their one victory is over the Piarist school, who is 1-11)
Girls: 0-13
Football: 6-5; Lost in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Betsy Layne
Boys: 0-12
Girls: 5-7
Football: 1-9; Did not make the playoffs.

Allen Central
Boys: 4-8
Girls: 2-8
Football: 8-3; Lost in the 1st round of the playoffs.

South Floyd
Boys: 6-4
Girls: 8-4
Football: 0-11; Lost in the 1st round of the playoffs.

There is no way anybody can convince me that the talent levels are so low in all of Floyd County that these main sports are this bad across the board. We could name different reasons, but as Julius said during training camp scene in 'Remember the Titans'...... "Attitude reflects leadership." The basketball seasons are still young and things can change, but I have a hard time believing that the talent level across Floyd County is this bad.
Lack of hiring quality coaches? Lack of getting kids out for teams? Lack of support from the B.O.E.? Lack of support from school to school?
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Betsy Layne is struggling because of the transfer of 2016. I think they lost 8/9 kids that played sports to pike county schools. They will have to reload starting in the middle school. Both grade schools that feed the high school have quality basketball players, football is a long way out due to low numbers in middle school.

Prestonsburg is having a hard time adjusting to the new times, parents have more say than they use to, and the Derossett's aren't going to change. This year will tell the future of the program if they stay or go.

JMO