Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Championship Mascots
BGR irrelevant thread of the day. If you were starting your own athletic program and needed a mascot, which one would you choose from the 12 teams participating during championship weekend?

1A: Tigers vs. Bulldogs

2A: Centurions vs. Admirals

3A: Yellow Jackets vs. Pirates

4A: Wildcats vs. Golden Eagles

5A: Maroons vs. Purples

6A: Generals vs. Shamrocks

I would probably lean toward a "military" reference opposed to a color (which I personally think is odd) or an animal reference. I like the Generals.
Centurions and Admirals are the most unique
none of the above
The Bracken County Polar Bears are the best Name mascot in the state.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Poca High School The Dots!
I'm a Navy vet, so I would go with the Admirals.
I like animals.

1A and 4A!!
Best mascot names I have seen are
Mars (PA) Planets
Karns City (PA) Gremlins
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Can I go back and Pick from the Van Lear bank Mules or the Hellier Hellcats much better than anything else around today..
Hellier Hellcats is the undisputed GOAT
A couple from the area I live
Washington Pam Pack
J.H. Rose Rampants
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The Bracken County Polar Bears are the best Name mascot in the state.

No they ain't :dontthink
The top award, IMO, goes to the Briar Jumpers of Somerset

I still can't believe a rural/county school out there hasn't ever made their mascot the "Aggies". Blows my mind.

Somerset Briar Jumpers
Danville Admirals
Corbin Redhounds

Best nicknames in this state...mostly in part to them being one of a kind (at least here).
Blacksmith Wrote:Can I go back and Pick from the Van Lear bank Mules or the Hellier Hellcats much better than anything else around today..

Martin Purple Flash
What about Harlan Green Dragons?
Let's flip them around

Beechwood Bulldogs
Hazard Tigers
CAL Admirals
Danville Centurions
Belfry Yellow Jackets
Central Pirates
Johnson Central Wildcats
Franklin-Simpson Golden Eagles
Bowling Green Maroons
Pulaski County Purples
Trinity Generals
Lafayette Shamrocks

Which one do y'all like best? And what would be the worst?
Beechwood Bulldogs
Pulaski County Purples

They just flow better
I think Harlan County has the best mascot name. We are the only school in Ky with that name (unless someone has adopted that name since Harlan County opened) and............. we actually have Black Bears.
Wheelwright Trojans
Trinity Generals if they were flipped. Beechwood Bulldogs sounds good too.
kyfellow Wrote:I think Harlan County has the best mascot name. We are the only school in Ky with that name (unless someone has adopted that name since Harlan County opened) and............. we actually have Black Bears.

Well I'm partial, but I agree!!

We were choosing from a final list of Black Bears, Knights, Rattle Snakes and Coal Miners. For the first year, we actually used "Knights". I have a T-shirt with Harlan Co Knights on it! Some folks thought that it was too close to the old Cawood Trojans. I remember an old man saying in a meeting that he'd been in these mountains for years and had seen a lot of bears, but he never did see a Knight hiding behind a tree. Smile

So, it was changed to Black Bears. I'm very glad that it was, too.
Ballbuster Wrote:Poca High School The Dots!

Or some of my favorite that are retired over here. Huntington Pony Express, C-K Wonders " a wonder-ful town". And my favorite, the Bramwell Millionaires.
Jarons Wrote:A couple from the area I live
Washington Pam Pack
J.H. Rose Rampants

Greenville! And Little Washington! I did three years working at East Carolina. JHR had some great football teams. Watched several games there, couple at DH Conley, couple at Ayden-Grifton. So did Rocky Mount. Some serious athletes came through there. And there are worse places to live...hour to Raleigh, hour to Emerald Isle...
Diogenes Wrote:Greenville! And Little Washington! I did three years working at East Carolina. JHR had some great football teams. Watched several games there, couple at DH Conley, couple at Ayden-Grifton. So did Rocky Mount. Some serious athletes came through there. And there are worse places to live...hour to Raleigh, hour to Emerald Isle...

O Rocky Mount. Many moons ago Mingo Centrals Yogi Kinder was head coach there. Never coached an actual game as he stayed in Matewan instead.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Hellier Hellcats is the undisputed GOAT

man if they would open Hellier back up Id almost drive my boy from Floyd co every day just he could call himself a Hellcat..
THOMCAT Wrote:Martin Purple Flash

I will say it is sure different and I still cant find anyone who can tell me how they came up with that name,LOL
Mascots that are not usually used.... Shamrocks, Centurions, Admirals and I have no idea what a Maroon or Purples are, sorry
Granny Bear Wrote:Well I'm partial, but I agree!!

We were choosing from a final list of Black Bears, Knights, Rattle Snakes and Coal Miners. For the first year, we actually used "Knights". I have a T-shirt with Harlan Co Knights on it! Some folks thought that it was too close to the old Cawood Trojans. I remember an old man saying in a meeting that he'd been in these mountains for years and had seen a lot of bears, but he never did see a Knight hiding behind a tree. Smile

So, it was changed to Black Bears. I'm very glad that it was, too.

It was changed before the school actually opened. My daughter has a T-shirt with Knights from a basketball camp, but the name changed was approved at a board meeting several months before school started.
It started with a column that Jarrod Sherman wrote in the Enterprise, then the board brought it up a few days later. There was a group there from the Cumberland area touting the change due to tourism in the area and the face we did have black bears. I thought it was a good idea also.
PondCreekToWestwood Wrote:O Rocky Mount. Many moons ago Mingo Centrals Yogi Kinder was head coach there. Never coached an actual game as he stayed in Matewan instead.

Wow. I did not know. Would have been a bit of a culture adjustment from Mingo County to Rocky Mount. But man, they had some good teams. Rocky Mount sent a kid to Virginia Tech who became a star. And pretty sure JHR sent Andre Brown to NC State who became a star running back. This is my decade old memory...but man, those were good games.
Blacksmith Wrote:man if they would open Hellier back up Id almost drive my boy from Floyd co every day just he could call himself a Hellcat..

Amen. Coach could build a powerhouse football program just on kids who wanted to call themselves Hellcats.