Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alcohol Sales in your County/City
This is a rant.....
I have NEVER and I mean NEVER drank any type of alcohol. No beer, no wine, no champagne, no liquor.... NEVER!!!!!!! I don't even know what any of that stuff taste like. I realize my opinion is very subjective against alcohol, but it's not really the actual product, it's the means in which alcohol was brought to my town.

In 2009, Paintsville voted to go 'Moist'. Meaning alcohol sales are permitted inside the city limits. Only city residents were able to vote and the measure passed after two or three failed attempts in previous years.

THE ENTIRE TIME before the measure was voted on, besides getting to buy and drink alcohol in the city limits.... all of the main proponents kept saying

"If this gets passed, we will get all kinds of new restaurants."

"I've already talked to XXXX (enter random chain restaurant) and they are wanting to come here."

That was in 2009..... SEVEN YEARS LATER AND NOT ONE NEW CHAIN OR DECENT TYPE RESTAURANT HAS COME TO PAINTSVILLE!!!!!!

There have been a few (Texas BBQ Pit, Bluegrass BBQ Pit, Roma Cucina, Café of Main) mom & pop restaurants have opened and closed within a few years.

Yesterday, Prestonsburg approved alcohol sales on Sunday. The news release said "we will be able to attract new types of restaurants to our area."

THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!!! FLOYD COUNTY HAS BEEN WET FOR YEARS.... they have Reno's (and it is TERRIBLE) and a few local establishments.

Don't polish the turd, just say you want to increase your buying/drinking time.
Don't use the excuse of 'bigger and better restaurants' just to increase your buying/drinking time.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Just to follow up..... Paintsville had a special city council meeting a few months to approve the sale of alcohol sales on Sundays. It passed.
So, you're saying that the government should be able to restrict access to legal items?

I am a big proponent of bourbon and the bourbon industry in this state. It's a very unique thing that is distinctly Kentucky. And I am baffled by the amount of counties in this state who are completely dry.

And, if you want a really interesting read and story to follow, try to find some news articles from about 2 years ago in Russell County and when they had a wet/dry vote. There was a massive donation to the dry campaign from a liquor store in a neighboring county. It because a big deal, RC went wet. And almost all of the counties in the surrounding area went wet soon after. I don't recall seeing a big influx of restaurants when I was last in that area, but I don't really care about that.

It's legal, 100%. To keep areas dry is to simply use a local government to enforce a certain morality. Period. You can attempt to shape the wet/dry/moist narrative however you please, but at the end of the day, it's using a specific "moral code" to govern. If you're into a very specific theocracy, that's your business. It's not mine. If you don't want to drink, don't drink.

I don't know a single person who didn't drink who lived in a dry county, who started drinking once it went wet/moist.
i dont drink either but people do. why not let them buy it in your town and collect the tax money as opposed to elsewhere...... and just because no new restaurant has come yet at least the door is open.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:So, you're saying that the government should be able to restrict access to legal items?

I am a big proponent of bourbon and the bourbon industry in this state. It's a very unique thing that is distinctly Kentucky. And I am baffled by the amount of counties in this state who are completely dry.

And, if you want a really interesting read and story to follow, try to find some news articles from about 2 years ago in Russell County and when they had a wet/dry vote. There was a massive donation to the dry campaign from a liquor store in a neighboring county. It because a big deal, RC went wet. And almost all of the counties in the surrounding area went wet soon after. I don't recall seeing a big influx of restaurants when I was last in that area, but I don't really care about that.

It's legal, 100%. To keep areas dry is to simply use a local government to enforce a certain morality. Period. You can attempt to shape the wet/dry/moist narrative however you please, but at the end of the day, it's using a specific "moral code" to govern. If you're into a very specific theocracy, that's your business. It's not mine. If you don't want to drink, don't drink.

I don't know a single person who didn't drink who lived in a dry county, who started drinking once it went wet/moist.
People are gonna drink whether their home county is Dry or Wet.

Alcohol is legal, drinking alcohol is legal if your of the correct age.

My argument is at least be honest. Just say you wanna be able to buy alcohol in your county or city. Don't base your whole campaign on something and then not be able to deliver. I realize that is the basis of politics in our country, but this probably would have passed in the entire county if they were just honest.

We could have the a distillery in our county set up shop, anything to bring jobs. Just be honest.