• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2017
I haven't seen a Raceland thread yet so I thought I would start one. The Rams lost several key players due to graduation and I think next season is going to be a rebuilding year for us. I also believe next year we are really going to find out what Coach Salmons is made of. When he was first hired a few years ago he inherited good players that were developed by Coach Maynard. Next year's team will be the first group that are truly his kids.

We will have some bumps be should be alright. They have a really good weight program so conditioning won't be an issue. We are going to struggle a bit with finding kids to fill a lot of key roles and having quality varsity experience. I've heard that a kid from Boyd transfered in but I'm skeptical about outside players though because most of our kids have been in our system since elementary school. A few years ago a few players came from Greenup and did not mesh well at all and there were several internal issues because of it. Hopefully that isn't the case next year.
As it stands right now, things are going to be tough going for the 2017 Rams. No clue what to think really. Tallent wise, the cupboard isnt bare by any stretch. Returning experienced skill guys in Adkins, Black, and Webb along with Guys that played in fill in rolls that looked good This past season like Gideon and Hale, and with a couple new faces and old faces that are coming into their soph and junior years, the skill positions, tbh, im not too worried about. But I am extremely concerned about who will get them the ball and who will be protecting them.

QB spot, I have no earthly idea about right now. Upfront on both sides of the ball I look for Tyus Ferguson, Justin Fairchild, and Jake Dixon to provide really good size and experience upfront. If Noah Davidson should take after his brothers work ethic and drive, LOOK OUT. Kid has good natural footwork and is absolutely massive at around 6'5" id say and easily over 3 bills. Some of the Kids who are already in the weight room doing extra work. I look for Landon Mauk and McNutt to see some time in 2017. Mauk has the same football mind that his brother had, but is more aggressive and more atheletic. Jacob Wallace is another kid that could really provide another good skill kid. Experience upfront, tightening up the secondary, and Mike's ability to "coach kids up" will be the makes or breaks for us in 2017. Im expecting a 6-4/5-5 record, second place finish in the district, and another regional championship game. This is a team though, that could suprise some people next year. If the work is put in now until camp, this is a team that could sneak up on some teams. But as it stands right now, its looking like a rebuilding year for the Rams.
Been waiting on this thread! I know the Rams have some key spots to fill and as Blaze said this will come down to seeing how Coach Salmons does coaching up these younger players with losing many skill guys! I still won't be surprised to find the 2017 Raceland Rams being very competitive! Expect it actually!
We will likely take some lumps early. In our non district schedule, I expect all teams that we played last year to be better than they were in 16 and we will take a step back. I dont see us not being competitive in those games though. I expect us to have a chance to win most of the games on the schedule. BUT, those games will be won or lost in the offseason, imo
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:We will likely take some lumps early. In our non district schedule, I expect all teams that we played last year to be better than they were in 16 and we will take a step back. I dont see us not being competitive in those games though. I expect us to have a chance to win most of the games on the schedule. BUT, those games will be won or lost in the offseason, imo

Agree! I also look for a lot of weight to be put on Webb offensively. Think he has a solid year!
What does the schedule look like for next year?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Always lots of bodies at Raceland. District/Region will be a walk over other than Paintsville. If they can improve steadily during the year they will have a shot at playing Hazard.
Raceland will still be top 5 team in Class A. They have a lot of good players coming back.
Players lost to graduation
QB Nathaniel Davidson
RB Bailey walker
Line Issac Wallace
Line Jerome hall
Line jarrod manis
R/ safety John cherry
LB Blake Whitt
LB Austin Bays
Oline Alex whillett
Oline Logan Mauk
CB josh Clark
CB caliub young
Dline Christian Harris
Another postion that you don't really think about but Nathaniel long snapped since he was a freshman.
Returning players
R/ safety Cameron Webb
RB/ DB Judd Adkins
Line Justin Fairchild
Dend Tyus Fugerson
OL jack Dixon
OL Cole Tanner

It takes a lot more than the ability to throw the ball or run the ball , block someone , make tackles . You have to work , play with heart be strong mentally and that's where the young Rams will struggle with especially early on gotta learn how to win without Isaac without Nathaniel and Bailey , Jerome , John cherry those are names you've heard at Raceland the last 3/4 years . Early on they will struggle but I look for the Rams to put it together by playoff time, it will be a tough year so we will have to have patients especially early on
I will say this , like transfers or not if your gonna compete for a title in 1A you better have some .
I think schedule is the same except for East carter. they dropped so Somerset will roll into ram stadium next year.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Players lost to graduation
QB Nathaniel Davidson
RB Bailey walker
Line Issac Wallace
Line Jerome hall
Line jarrod manis
R/ safety John cherry
LB Blake Whitt
LB Austin Bays
Oline Alex whillett
Oline Logan Mauk
CB josh Clark
CB caliub young
Dline Christian Harris
Another postion that you don't really think about but Nathaniel long snapped since he was a freshman.
Returning players
R/ safety Cameron Webb
RB/ DB Judd Adkins
Line Justin Fairchild
Dend Tyus Fugerson
OL jack Dixon
OL Cole Tanner

It takes a lot more than the ability to throw the ball or run the ball , block someone , make tackles . You have to work , play with heart be strong mentally and that's where the young Rams will struggle with especially early on gotta learn how to win without Isaac without Nathaniel and Bailey , Jerome , John cherry those are names you've heard at Raceland the last 3/4 years . Early on they will struggle but I look for the Rams to put it together by playoff time, it will be a tough year so we will have to have patients especially early on

The 1st 6 will be hard to replace that's for sure. we won't need a long snapper we won't be punting. Lol.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I think schedule is the same except for East carter. they dropped so Somerset will roll into ram stadium next year.

That'll make for a tough game!
Ram1998 Wrote:The 1st 6 will be hard to replace that's for sure. we won't need a long snapper we won't be punting. Lol.

Francis didn't get the head job did he?he's the only coach I know who refuses to punt
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I think schedule is the same except for East carter. they dropped so Somerset will roll into ram stadium next year.
Not totally 100% sure on this RAD but I think the first Somerset game is on the road. I'll have to double-check.
Ram1998 Wrote:The 1st 6 will be hard to replace that's for sure. we won't need a long snapper we won't be punting. Lol.

No need to worry. Kids are already in the wt room getting bigger, stronger, and faster. By the time late Aug rolls around this will be the best Ram team to take the field in years.
We need a coach to transfer in!!!!Any chances on that happening ???
mightydog Wrote:No need to worry. Kids are already in the wt room getting bigger, stronger, and faster. By the time late Aug rolls around this will be the best Ram team to take the field in years.

While I can see your humor in this I think most Raceland fans realistically know next year should be a down year and they will take some lumps. Based off of the quality of the teams on the schedule I can see a 7-5 or 6-6 season.
Orange Blaze Wrote:While I can see your humor in this I think most Raceland fans realistically know next year should be a down year and they will take some lumps. Based off of the quality of the teams on the schedule I can see a 7-5 or 6-6 season.

2nd round exit or 3rd? U need another win or loss to make it 3rd or have a nine game regular season.
bac2369 Wrote:2nd round exit or 3rd? U need another win or loss to make it 3rd or have a nine game regular season.

The other district is becoming much more competitive and it wouldn't surprise me if one of those teams knocked us out in the second round. This is not to say that we can't make it to the regional championship but it is possible that a team from the other district could make it.
Orange Blaze Wrote:The other district is becoming much more competitive and it wouldn't surprise me if one of those teams knocked us out in the second round. This is not to say that we can't make it to the regional championship but it is possible that a team from the other district could make it.

True. But I don't see it but it's possible.. bracken will be the best team next season but Paris will be behind them. They got to prove it first. Bracken was manhandled by an understaffed Fairview team.
bac2369 Wrote:True. But I don't see it but it's possible.. bracken will be the best team next season but Paris will be behind them. They got to prove it first. Bracken was manhandled by an understaffed Fairview team.

The success of next year's team will all depend on how the players respond to their new roles. I can see then being anywhere in the 8-5 to 6-6 range with a few possible upsets.
Probably be down for a year or two. Too many seniors graduating.
Orange Blaze Wrote:While I can see your humor in this I think most Raceland fans realistically know next year should be a down year and they will take some lumps. Based off of the quality of the teams on the schedule I can see a 7-5 or 6-6 season.

Just getting some early, early, really early preseason smack talk going. Blaze your one of the more realistic Ram fans on here. This was more for the orange colored glasses group. But since a lot of them dont come out of the woodwork until the season starts, i shouldnt have wasted my time. Do youy see next year as the start of a downward trend. OR is it the start of a rebuilding time to trend up with whats in the pipeline?
Orange Blaze Wrote:The other district is becoming much more competitive and it wouldn't surprise me if one of those teams knocked us out in the second round. This is not to say that we can't make it to the regional championship but it is possible that a team from the other district could make it.

The other district steps back next year. Nicholas graduates the farm. Bracken loses alot as well. Paris will be ok and so will Brossart but still not to the level of a "struggling" Raceland team.
mightydog Wrote:Just getting some early, early, really early preseason smack talk going. Blaze your one of the more realistic Ram fans on here. This was more for the orange colored glasses group. But since a lot of them dont come out of the woodwork until the season starts, i shouldnt have wasted my time. Do youy see next year as the start of a downward trend. OR is it the start of a rebuilding time to trend up with whats in the pipeline?

I don't really see a downward trend happening. We usually have cycles where there are good teams for a few years and then have to rebuild after graduating a large portion of the team. The underclassmen were solid last year but it will take some time for them to gel. I look for next year to be a learning curve and they will struggle especially early on, the year after we will see significant improvements but not quite in the upper tier of teams, and the year after that they will be a state contender again.
If the work in the weight room continues as it has been with the extra time and work these underclassmen are doing, we will be competitive against all but 2 or 3 teams on the schedule but still have the chance to win 70/80% of the games, youth will whow in the tight ones though, imo, these kids know the challenges they face and are looking to prove alot of us wrong, so i expect us to be better than what many of the ram fans, myself included, think. I said realistically 4-6/5-5 regular season and a second round playoff exit. But the losses will help us in the rebuilding process and teach these kids what they need to do in order to win. Its going to be a rough year, but i dont see the turnaround taking long and in no way think there is a downward spin. In the jfl the numbers are all with in 14-20 kids per class. If those numbers continue, will will always be a top 5-7 team imo and in the better years top 3 or 4.
Orange Blaze Wrote:I don't really see a downward trend happening. We usually have cycles where there are good teams for a few years and then have to rebuild after graduating a large portion of the team. The underclassmen were solid last year but it will take some time for them to gel. I look for next year to be a learning curve and they will struggle especially early on, the year after we will see significant improvements but not quite in the upper tier of teams, and the year after that they will be a state contender again.

We've never been a state contender!Weve played in two state simis and got beat by 28 points in each....that's not a contender it's a pretender.Sorry Blaze but it's time to call it what it is!The Rams are just a solid small school program that has a good year ever so often.As long as Salmons is on the sidelines we will always come up short in the big games!!
I think 2017 will be another year in which Raceland plays second fiddle to Paintsville. The other side of the region will be farther down then Raceland, so it's possible that Raceland could find their way to another Regional Championship game, but it will end there.
Hate to say it but I'm fine with being competitive and making it to the RC game every year. Raceland is what it is a small town football team who loves to play. We play with our boys and lose with our boys. I'm not sayinging other teams are going out and recruiting because I really don't care. All I'm saying is Raceland wins and loses with what our JFL organ brings us. How many programs can say that. We very rarely get transfers and if we do they don't really help. Go Rams .........we just like go ole slobber knockin football....
  • 1(current)
  • Next