Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next B-ball coach at Belfry Middle
Who will this be if Varney goes to Sheldon Clark as HC?

My list -

Keith May
Casey Lequire
David Copley
Does Varney even have a degree??? Very few school systems will hire a head coach in a major sport if they are not a teacher.
Of the three Blackfag mentioned, only one has a teaching degree.
LOLOL..... I have a GREAT idea of whom it will be and IMO.... it IS the one with the teaching degree!!!
I'm not sure he wants to coach at the middle school level. From what I've been told he has aspirations of being a high school coach.

With that being said, I'm not sure Coach Varney is going anywhere either.

Whomever the coach at BMS is he will not receive 100% total support from the community for one reason or another. Whether it be jealousy, envy, or just flat-out ignorance, he or she will be given hell. That's what really bothers me about this whole situation. I never seen a place where people bicker and complain so much, and if it wasn't about Coach Varney it would be about somebody else.

Just get behind your team and cheer them on, or shut the hell up. Why be yellow and degrade someone on a message when you don't have the gall to criticize someone to their face. The sad thing is that's what most people chose to do. Myself, I couldn't sleep at night if I really felt better about myself for criticizing someone in such "cut-throat" fashion.

I guess that's why I have and will never bad-mouth a coach on one an open forums. It's yellow, plain and simple.
BoondockSaint Wrote:I'm not sure he wants to coach at the middle school level. From what I've been told he has aspirations of being a high school coach.

Whomever the coach at BMS is he will not receive 100% total support from the community for one reason or another. Whether it be jealousy, envy, or just flat-out ignorance, he or she will be given hell. That's what really bothers me about this whole situation. I never seen a place where people bicker and complain so much, and if it wasn't about Coach Varney it would be about somebody else.

Just get behind your team and cheer them on, or shut the hell up. Why be yellow and degrade someone on a message when you don't have the gall to criticize someone to their face. The sad thing is that's what most people chose to do. Myself, I couldn't sleep at night if I really felt better about myself for criticizing someone in such "cut-throat" fashion.

I guess that's why I have and will never bad-mouth a coach on one an open forums. It's yellow, plain and simple.

Excellent post. :thumpsup: I especially agree with what I highlighted in red.
These people that badmouth coaches have obviously never coached...and probably never played. They need to get a life!!
Coach Varney did a much better job this year as a coach. His players got better. That shows they were being coached. Whatever his aspirations are if he doesn't have the teaching credentials it will be hard to find a job as a head coach.
BoondockSaint Wrote:I'm not sure he wants to coach at the middle school level. From what I've been told he has aspirations of being a high school coach.

EXCELLENT POST
Hoops Lover Wrote:These people that badmouth coaches have obviously never coached...and probably never played. They need to get a life!!

THATS EXACTLY RIGHT
Blackflag Wrote:Who will this be if Varney goes to Sheldon Clark as HC?

My list -

Keith May
Casey Lequire
David Copley

may and copley have coached together for two years now, currently assistants for the lady pirates, they work well together, copley would make a great assistant for him. rumor has it he is real close to former williamson and belfry coach david hatfield.
He PLAYED for Coach Hatfield. What does that have to do with him coaching at BMS?
Why does it always have to be that coaches,players, and fans are pitted against each other. And why do people have to get on here and air who is going to be the next coach. It appears to me and everyone else the coaching positions have been decided upon and should stay as such. I think instead of fighting among themselves the Belfry fans, coaches, players, and parents should work together and make their school the best in Pike County. They have all the talent academically and athletic wise any school could ask for, they should use this to their advantage. :howdy:
[QUOTE=what a game]may and copley have coached together for two years now, currently assistants for the lady pirates, they work well together, copley would make a great assistant for him. rumor has it he is real close to former williamson and belfry coach david hatfield.[/QUOTE]

Didn't a Hatfield guy work with May at BMS this year?
Great post Blue Chipper!! BMS is still having some growing pains I think due to the fact that all the feeder schools used to have teams and all the kids got to play whether they could play or not...it's not like that now...there is competition for each position...some people still haven't gotten used to this.
Different guy...DAVID Hatfield teaches math at Belfry High School and has ZERO interest in coaching. The guy that helped May is a physical therapist from the area.
Hoops Lover Wrote:Different guy...DAVID Hatfield teaches math at Belfry High School and has ZERO interest in coaching. The guy that helped May is a physical therapist from the area.

the fire still burns in coach hatfield, you never know he may just want to help out.
checked with my source at the high school copley and coach hagy are brothers
Blackflag Wrote:Who will this be if Varney goes to Sheldon Clark as HC?

My list -

Keith May
Casey Lequire
David Copley
Hoops Lover Wrote:Great post Blue Chipper!! BMS is still having some growing pains I think due to the fact that all the feeder schools used to have teams and all the kids got to play whether they could play or not...it's not like that now...there is competition for each position...some people still haven't gotten used to this.

LOL OMG Thats a joke. Ok I'm a Belfry fan and always have been and usually a defender of Belfry all the way, but this post is ridiculas. Makes me wonder how much history you have on the feeder schools. I can't believe you said that as truth/fact. There used to be 6 feeder schools, then we went down to 4 and sometimes 3 if Blackberry didn't have a team. Had to start bringing Phelps and other schools in just to have enough teams to play and make a tourney when we used to have our own 6 teams. First of all theres no doubt in my mind that out of 4 to 6 schools, say 8 to 20 on a team, we had more than 5 good ball players because thats basically what your saying like there was no talent.Quote: all the feeder schools used to have teams and all the kids got to play whether they could play or not...it's not like that now...there is competition for each position LOL we used to have some good teams with usually too many on the benches. A lot of kids aren't even playing Basketball anymore. If they would keep these kids interrested BHS would have had more than 3 freshman players this year and it wont be no better next year. In the beginning all the kids were rotated really good, kept fresh kids in all the time, the other team didn't know what would happen and they did really good. There was even an old post on here by next that states that.

Second we have some real talent but you can talk to every parent and you'll get a different opinion from each one on who should do what because every mommy and daddy thinks lil Johnnny is # 1. You have that stuff at every school.

Third if you knew your facts you would know that out of the nine 8th graders...I think 5 of them (maybe 4 but Im thinking 5, theres 1 kid Im not sure about) were actual Belfry feeder students who have played and practiced and supported our area to work their way up to BMS and BHS. The other 4 or 5 arent even from the feeder schools, didn't bring their position from our feeder schools.

You also have some parents who refuse to stay in the principles office or in the coaches face in order to get playing time. Some parents have no shame. I have girls but I know my kids and Ive heard from others, would be soooo embarresed to think they only did what they did because daddy or mommy always through a tantram.
Hoops Lover Wrote:Different guy...DAVID Hatfield teaches math at Belfry High School and has ZERO interest in coaching. The guy that helped May is a physical therapist from the area.

I'm not sure if I would say zero intrest.. David Hatfield has one of the greatest minds of basketball that I have personally ever been around.. He knows so much about the game.. If he were to help out, I know he'd do good
Collectively, the content of these posts are ridiculous.

Since when did it become rule that everybody gets to play. The last time I checked you keep score because the object of the game is to win. So your best five players ought to be on the floor as much as possible. Even at that, Belfry probably rotated more people than any other county school.

David Hatfield has no desire to coach, as far as I know, and if he did I doubt it would be in Belfry or lower than the high school level.

One more thing that needs to be mentioned is that Belfry's midget league teams are in bad shape. Every year one team loads up on talent and destroys the rest of the league because they are faster, bigger, and maybe a little older. The fact that they win so easily doesn't make them better and it turns other kids against playing the game of basketball.
TurnthePage Wrote:A lot of kids aren't even playing Basketball anymore. If they would keep these kids interrested BHS would have had more than 3 freshman players this year and it wont be no better next year.

Are you saying it's the middle school coach's fault that not many freshman came out to play for Coach Casey?

If so, maybe you can enlighten us on the reason so many sophomores decided not to play this year after playing a year of freshman ball. Most of those kids played for Coach Varney when he coached at Bevins.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Collectively, the content of these posts are ridiculous.

Since when did it become rule that everybody gets to play. The last time I checked you keep score because the object of the game is to win. So your best five players ought to be on the floor as much as possible. Even at that, Belfry probably rotated more people than any other county school.

David Hatfield has no desire to coach, as far as I know, and if he did I doubt it would be in Belfry or lower than the high school level.

One more thing that needs to be mentioned is that Belfry's midget league teams are in bad shape. Every year one team loads up on talent and destroys the rest of the league because they are faster, bigger, and maybe a little older. The fact that they win so easily doesn't make them better and it turns other kids against playing the game of basketball.

I agree with the Little League program being in bad shape. I know in the past there was talk about drafting players. Certain schools wanted only to draft the students at one school instead of the whole league and it didn't pass. I also don't think that it would be a bad idea to drop the 6th grade back into midget league. There should be enough 6th graders wanting to play to actually field more than one team . If a 6th grader is good enough to move up and play 7th then let him.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Are you saying it's the middle school coach's fault that not many freshman came out to play for Coach Casey?

If so, maybe you can enlighten us on the reason so many sophomores decided not to play this year after playing a year of freshman ball. Most of those kids played for Coach Varney when he coached at Bevins.

I think that the rules of the game itself leads to more athletes dropping out and not playing. In b-ball you can only have 5 on the floor at a time and if you are one of the ones on the bench sometimes it is harder to stay .Unless you just love the game. Other sports allow, just by the rules of the game, more kids to participate at any given time. ALso, there are more sports to participate in in this area now with soccer and such.
Dream_Weaver Wrote:I think that the rules of the game itself leads to more athletes dropping out and not playing. In b-ball you can only have 5 on the floor at a time and if you are one of the ones on the bench sometimes it is harder to stay .Unless you just love the game. Other sports allow, just by the rules of the game, more kids to participate at any given time. ALso, there are more sports to participate in in this area now with soccer and such.

I agree and I personally didn't take that as someone blaming Coach Varney for Belfry only having 3 freshman. Those three kids came from 3 different schools/3 different coaches before their one year at BMS.
out of all the choices, keith may will probobly be the best. all of the boys want him anyways.
Who are the MANY sophomores?? Elkins is the only one that didn't come out...who are the rest??

Thanks!
BoondockSaint Wrote:Collectively, the content of these posts are ridiculous.

These post are ridiculous and I think that is what I was meaning when I stated previously that people are just arguing and placing blame instead of being worried about the TEAM'S best interest. This is the point, it is not a team that they are worried it is about mud slinging and taunting other players and fans.
If your midget league program is in such bad shape, then the members should ban together and fix what the problem is. Have a committee which is voted on just like other sports, elect a president and committee to govern with rules and fix the program before more suffering takes place. The point is that the children are the focus not the adults who obviously just like to argue.
Didn't mean everyone got to play...meant more got to play because there were more teams..