Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WYMT coverage
Is it just me or does WYMT skip over the schools in the local area? Sports overtime didn't even give a score for the PCC - KCC game. I don't know if Buckhorn, Hazard, LCC, Leslie or JBS played but there was no mention of any of them. Why is this?
Could be several reasons, 1. The teams need to get scores reported as soon as the game is over, officially. Doesn't happen most of time. Not enough reporters to stay till games end and make it to station. 2. A lot of schools in coverage area and may have a schedule to follow so that as many as possible can get coverage. I have watched WYMT for years and Hazard, PCC and KCC have had their fair share of coverage.
So you're saying there's time to get from Laurel county or Johnson county or pike county but not enough time to get the news in from Perry? Because local schools got coverage two years ago you're saying it's ok not to give scores for them now? Come on now you can do better than that. Why would you not give local scores
No I am saying why the Hell do they have to go to Hazards game every time. May not be on SCHEDULE. Tell Hazard to Get their game called in on time.
Do you even know how they get scores to report? If it is not reported, it was not called in by school. Call your coach and ask why.
WYMT isn't perfect but they are perfect in their efforts, IMO.

I think they do a great job in reporting local sporting activity.

I appreciate all their efforts and dedication to the local and extended communities.
Each school has a KHSAA link sent to the Coach or designated person. Put the score in and submit. 10 seconds to report it.
The scores were on the KHSAA web site. I'm not talking about highlights or broadcasting the game. I know there is only a limited amount of that done. What I'm talking about is scores. I guess we'll just have to disagree on the job WYMT is doing. I think it is very poor
So you are suggesting they deliberately leave out local scores because they have a problem with the schools or teams? Sorry not buying it. Schools didn't have them in on time is what I am going with. Coaches need to do better job .
Not a TV guru, but why have you never been able to get Wymt on satellite? I know they're a smaller station, but I think they're the sister station of WLEX or wkyt aren't they? I'd love to switch to cable to get Wymt, but hate to leave Dish and lose some channels and dvrs in every room.
For a smaller station, I think they try to do a great job covering mountain teams personally. If not for them, you wouldn't know us mountain schools exist. Not saying that they look down on us up north and out west. But they definitely look down on southeastern KY up north and out west. Lol.
As for WYMT being on satellite, laws and regulations have made it really hard for more than one CBS-affiliate to be offered in a market. The regulations recently loosened up and WYMT has a shot to make it on satellite, but it's not a guarantee.

As for why this team didn't get mentioned or whatever...
WYMT has a three-person sports department. The three folks you see on the news or anchoring sports overtime - That's all there is. They drive, shoot, write, edit, produce and anchor on Friday.

They send one person east, one west and one anchors the six o'clock news and tries to get something close. Everything else is dependent on coaches and folks calling in the scores. They even use bluegrassrivals as a reference on Fridays too but no one posted the score of Knott-Perry until late.
If you are old enough, remember before WYMT and you will appreciate them much more! Before WYMT mountain teams had to be playing in Lexington or Louisville to get coverage. So much better now. I have dish network and watch my Mountain sports on line, no problem. Enjoy the games on line. Very thankful for WYMT.
callmecrazy33 Wrote:For a smaller station, I think they try to do a great job covering mountain teams personally. If not for them, you wouldn't know us mountain schools exist. Not saying that they look down on us up north and out west. But they definitely look down on southeastern KY up north and out west. Lol.

I have both Direct and cable for the primary reason of getting WYMT.

Don't ask me what my TV bill is for the month. My husband LOVES the old western channels, and for him to get that we must have the Cadillac of DirecTV.

So, you can callMEcrazy!
Granny Bear Wrote:I have both Direct and cable for the primary reason of getting WYMT.

Don't ask me what my TV bill is for the month. My husband LOVES the old western channels, and for him to get that we must have the Cadillac of DirecTV.

So, you can callMEcrazy!

Not crazy at all. If my wife would let me, I could afford it, and I could justify it, I would have both. I'm 0 for 3 on those though. Lol.
zaga_fan Wrote:As for WYMT being on satellite, laws and regulations have made it really hard for more than one CBS-affiliate to be offered in a market. The regulations recently loosened up and WYMT has a shot to make it on satellite, but it's not a guarantee.

As for why this team didn't get mentioned or whatever...
WYMT has a three-person sports department. The three folks you see on the news or anchoring sports overtime - That's all there is. They drive, shoot, write, edit, produce and anchor on Friday.

They send one person east, one west and one anchors the six o'clock news and tries to get something close. Everything else is dependent on coaches and folks calling in the scores. They even use bluegrassrivals as a reference on Fridays too but no one posted the score of Knott-Perry until late.

Appreciate the explanation of why they're not on satellite. I always wondered that. Hopefully they get on Dish and Direct sooner rather than later.
You guys do know you can watch the news and sports online. The other programming is the same. Apparently you have a computer.
Guess I'm the only one that thinks WYMT leave out our local schools. I'll just skip sports overtime and go to the KHSAA web site.
Go to walmart and buy the digital over the air antenna. You can pick wymt up for free. Chanel 57 i think.
I watch on my IPad regularly. Very handy, actually!
If you want more coverage, be proactive! I have made friendships with the sportscasters and often they'll drop me a text or I'll text them if I'm out watching a game. They're only 3 people. Help them help you!
Knott Central has had very little coverage by WYMT since Brian Milam left for Lexington.
Really ? The Knott/Perry game the best matchup in Mountains and no coverage from WYMT?
Paul Crewe Wrote:Do you even know how they get scores to report? If it is not reported, it was not called in by school. Call your coach and ask why.
All Scores and stats have to be called in to the KHSAA right after the game, why would it be so hard for WYMT to check the KHSAA website to get all the scores and just post them, why should coaches have to call them, there is even an app for KHSAA scores, as soon as they are posted to the site anyone can get them. Not to difficult.:HitWall: