•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Baseball
Knox @ North tonight.. I expect North to dominate this game early. Knox is getting a slow start to their season and I don't think that they hit their stride against a very solid North team. At the end of the season I still expect to see these two teams at the top of the region, but for tonight I'm going with North.
Knox won the early season game at North last year. Griebel hasn't thrown for North yet, may not tonight, they have Madison Central and Southwestern next two days, so I suspect Knox has a real chance in this spot.
Corbin beat HC 3-2 tonight. Don't sleep on the hounds. In the words of Aaron rodgers. Relaxxx
I'd Middlesboro had a coach they would be very dangerous
Truthhurts Wrote:I'd Middlesboro had a coach they would be very dangerous

Troll alert!!!

Middlesboro has a great coach who has been developing their current players for years now. He has worked year round with McCullough, Mike, and all of the players that are finally coming of age. They didn't come to be solid players on their own.

Speaking of McCullough, he may very well be the ace of the region as a junior this year.
McCullough is for sure tough but ace would have to go to Sizemore from Harlan county. This is just based on watching both pitchers stuff, next year McCullough should be. Either way Sizemore, McCullough, Grebiel, Nelson, Brock, Estep, Mike, and Payne can almost secure a win for there team. This region about every team has a stud pitcher, I left out Dezarn from clay may have misspelled his name but he can also be a buzzsaw to a batting average. All in all I expect an action packed season.
Also I forgot Ramey from south always has good stuff but haven't seen him throw this season yet.
McCullough is really good, and Middlesboro could absolutely win the region this year. But Greibel has never lost on the mound to a 13th-region team, including being undefeated in the postseason. This is his fifth year as a varsity starter, North has won the region two of his previous four years, the two times they didn't they were eliminated by very good South teams in games he didn't pitch. And he has missed most of the season so far, which has had a whole lot to do with North's poor start. My point is, I've got to put him on top until a region team knocks him off. Could happen this year though, the region looks extremely balanced, and North doesn't appear to be as good overall as in the last several years.
Middlesboro can not win region , not being mean but do not have the pitching after McCullough. Very mediocre. Bats verses high quality pitching is not what it takes to win region, that could get better. As for the coach , he is definitely not Bill Powell, I do not see Middlesboro at that level again. He is a solid coach just like most in region.
Van Hagar Wrote:McCullough is really good, and Middlesboro could absolutely win the region this year. But Greibel has never lost on the mound to a 13th-region team, including being undefeated in the postseason. This is his fifth year as a varsity starter, North has won the region two of his previous four years, the two times they didn't they were eliminated by very good South teams in games he didn't pitch. And he has missed most of the season so far, which has had a whole lot to do with North's poor start. My point is, I've got to put him on top until a region team knocks him off. Could happen this year though, the region looks extremely balanced, and North doesn't appear to be as good overall as in the last several years.

Griebel is very good, as are Sizemore and McCullough.
I thought I had you on the never losing to a 13th Region team. I remembered a game when Sizemore and Griebel were freshmen. You're right though. HCHS rallied against the bullpen:

———
North Laurel 001 000 1 — 2 5 1
Harlan County 000 120 x — 3 5 4
Griebel, Hurley (5) and Maxey; Sizemore, Leisge (6) and Jarvis. WP — Sizemore (2-0). LP —*Hurley. Sv — Leisge.
Flicka Wrote:Middlesboro can not win region , not being mean but do not have the pitching after McCullough. Very mediocre. Bats verses high quality pitching is not what it takes to win region, that could get better. As for the coach , he is definitely not Bill Powell, I do not see Middlesboro at that level again. He is a solid coach just like most in region.
I won't get into this too much but to say they cannot win region is just silly. They look strong at this point and are one of the few teams that has that dominate ace. Also, very experienced and a little deeper staff than you give them credit for. Of course it's a drop off from McCullough but still some solid arms.

Tough to judge bats against high quality pitching this early in the season. Pitching always has the advantage early.

They're about to head to South Carolina for a few games so we can get a better idea of what the team looks like after that trip. I think NL will be headed down to the Ripken Experience as well.
There are several teams that have the capability to win the region this year. But, it's always about the draw come Regional tournament.
Sit back enjoy the season and remember what I said. Wait and see, just the way it is.
Flicka Wrote:Sit back enjoy the season and remember what I said. Wait and see, just the way it is.

They may not win. In fact, I'd say the odds are certainly greater that they won't. As rudedog said, the draw is everything.

I was just saying that it's silly to say they can't win it.
HCS Wrote:Griebel is very good, as are Sizemore and McCullough.
I thought I had you on the never losing to a 13th Region team. I remembered a game when Sizemore and Griebel were freshmen. You're right though. HCHS rallied against the bullpen:

———
North Laurel 001 000 1 — 2 5 1
Harlan County 000 120 x — 3 5 4
Griebel, Hurley (5) and Maxey; Sizemore, Leisge (6) and Jarvis. WP — Sizemore (2-0). LP —*Hurley. Sv — Leisge.

I knew if I was wrong on that you would catch me HCSConfusednicker:. But I've seen basically every game Griebel has thrown over the years, and was pretty sure on that one, he's had a lot of close calls but always gives North a chance to win. I remembered that one at HC, Hurley came in to close and was wild, couldn't get it over the plate.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:They may not win. In fact, I'd say the odds are certainly greater that they won't. As rudedog said, the draw is everything.

I was just saying that it's silly to say they can't win it.

The draw is awfully important, if you can get the runner-up from Knox Central's district you can probably win your opener without having to throw one of your better arms. That's something Knox Central has to deal with, they are basically guaranteed having to have three really tough games, if you assume the teams will be North/Clay, Middlesboro/Harlan Co. and Corbin/South/or Whitley. We got Barbourville last year, they played real well and we only beat them 3-2, but we didn't throw our one or two so they were ready to go for the last two games.
Talent and depth with pitching may play a small part in who wins it as well.
Oh absolutely I didn't mean it to sound like the draw just decided it. But you can get helped out there. As far as having a deep pitching staff, I would think Knox Central with Hill, Payne and Nelson lead in that department, they just haven't really hit their stride yet.
The draw, talent and depth are all relative. A team with more depth can weather a tougher draw than team with 1 standout arm. Which seems to be the case with most of the teams in the region this year. The draw will be VERY important!
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Troll alert!!!

Middlesboro has a great coach who has been developing their current players for years now. He has worked year round with McCullough, Mike, and all of the players that are finally coming of age. They didn't come to be solid players on their own.

Speaking of McCullough, he may very well be the ace of the region as a junior this year.
Yes all year! Must be one of his players moms.You mean when he's coaching Middle School Football for the money. Tyler is the best player in the region. Sizemore is top 5
Middlesboro didn't have the best week but all three games were within 3 runs going into the 5th. They left a lot of runners on base all week. That definitely has to change if they are going to be a considered a contender.
You know what, all games are tied in the first inning. LOL just messing with you MHS. Pitching depth remember?
Flicka Wrote:You know what, all games are tied in the first inning. LOL just messing with you MHS. Pitching depth remember?

LOL I don't disagree with you really. Pitching depth is a critical factor in making a contender. I was just saying that I think Middlesboro has as much/as little as most other top teams in the region this year.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Middlesboro didn't have the best week but all three games were within 3 runs going into the 5th. They left a lot of runners on base all week. That definitely has to change if they are going to be a considered a contender.

I thought they lost 4 games at Cal?
They lost 4 games and one game was only 5 innings. Middlesboro won't win district let alone region.
For those who were freaking out about Corbin. So far sitting at 10-3. 2-0 in district. Wins over Harlan County, Clay, and North Laurel. Got beat pretty good in opener, lost 0-2 to Middlesboro, and lost 2-3 to a team from Florida. Hounds seem like they're doing a lot better than what everyone was saying they'd be. 🤓
Predator/Prey Wrote:I thought they lost 4 games at Cal?

They did. That was my mistake. For some reason I was under the impression that the Greenwood game was being played as a JV game. Tough loss though. Would have been good to come home on a W. Either way, they were able to get back to their winning ways by making easy work of district for Harlan.
Truthhurts Wrote:They lost 4 games and one game was only 5 innings. Middlesboro won't win district let alone region.

I guess time will tell. I've not guaranteed either title. But they will challenge for both.
The 52nd District doesn't look real strong overall. I'd say Middlesboro has played the best to this point.
13th Baseball Rankings by Times Tribune
1. Corbin
2. Middlesboro
3. Knox
4. South Laurel
5. North Laurel
6. Harlan County
7. Clay County
8. Whitley County
9. Jackson County
10. Williamsburg
  •  Previous