Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5th Region Refs in 12 th Region Tourney
I watched every single game of this tournament, i have never seen so much inconsistency and piss poor calling over an entire Regional Tourney. Not one sided, just absolutely awful. Players were undercut on dribbles up the floor and called for walks, PC player blatently shoved in back to floor right in front of official by MC player....no call. Five minutes later Pulaski player basically tackled Mercer player and altercation ensues...players seperated then 10 seconds later MC player gets T after he had walked 50 feet away from spot. Mercer inbounds ball and swishes a three , 2nd ref waves it off because he was talking to a PC player. MC player elbows PC player in throat right in front of ref ..no call, the PC plsyer gets up knocks down a different MC plsyer and starts cussing the ref at end of first half. No call. Total chaos...very very fortunate that no one was hurt on either side... NO Regional Tourney Finals should have to have that poor quality of officiating. These examples were all from one game...i dont have the finger strength to text all the other incompetent examples thatbi witnessed. Would stiill like to know why Mercer bench got "T" vs Wayne co and why Boyle Coach got T vs PC...one of those refs is a State Trooper....hes terrible sure hope he understands the law better than he does the game of basketball. One of em looked like he had a glass eye, after watching him ref i now think he had two glass eyes.
[quote=Gunslinger]I watched every single game of this tournament, i have never seen so much inconsistency and piss poor calling over an entire Regional Tourney. Not one sided, just absolutely awful. Players were undercut on dribbles up the floor and called for walks, PC player blatently shoved in back to floor right in front of official by MC player....no call. Five minutes later Pulaski player basically tackled Mercer player and altercation ensues...players seperated then 10 seconds later MC player gets T after he had walked 50 feet away from spot. Mercer inbounds ball and swishes a three , 2nd ref waves it off because he was talking to a PC player. MC player elbows PC player in throat right in front of ref ..no call, the PC plsyer gets up knocks down a different MC plsyer and starts cussing the ref at end of first half. No call. Total chaos...very very fortunate that no one was hurt on either side... NO Regional Tourney Finals should have to have that poor quality of officiating. These examples were all from one game...i dont have the finger strength to text all the other incompetent examples thatbi witnessed. Would stiill like to know why Mercer bench got "T" vs Wayne co and why Boyle Coach got T vs PC...one of those refs is a State Trooper....hes terrible sure hope he understands the law better than he does the game of basketball. One of em looked like he had a glass eye, after watching him ref i now think he had two glass eyes.
Can someone from a 5th region school put in ur two cents worth on this? Am i crazy or they this bad? Thanks
Gunslinger Wrote:Can someone from a 5th region school put in ur two cents worth on this? Am i crazy or they this bad? Thanks

Well play was dead on the inbounds play for MC... Pulaski player was fixing shoe and was granted time.. inbounds refs obv confused but the call was right of no basket.. Idk why MC couldn't see that.
Gunslinger Wrote:I watched every single game of this tournament, i have never seen so much inconsistency and piss poor calling over an entire Regional Tourney. Not one sided, just absolutely awful. Players were undercut on dribbles up the floor and called for walks, PC player blatently shoved in back to floor right in front of official by MC player....no call. Five minutes later Pulaski player basically tackled Mercer player and altercation ensues...players seperated then 10 seconds later MC player gets T after he had walked 50 feet away from spot. Mercer inbounds ball and swishes a three , 2nd ref waves it off because he was talking to a PC player. MC player elbows PC player in throat right in front of ref ..no call, the PC plsyer gets up knocks down a different MC plsyer and starts cussing the ref at end of first half. No call. Total chaos...very very fortunate that no one was hurt on either side... NO Regional Tourney Finals should have to have that poor quality of officiating. These examples were all from one game...i dont have the finger strength to text all the other incompetent examples thatbi witnessed. Would stiill like to know why Mercer bench got "T" vs Wayne co and why Boyle Coach got T vs PC...one of those refs is a State Trooper....hes terrible sure hope he understands the law better than he does the game of basketball. One of em looked like he had a glass eye, after watching him ref i now think he had two glass eyes.
You missed the part where at the end of the half the Mercer co kid Christian Leatner the Butt kid from Pulaski. Really surprised me nothing was called.
Ninja Wrote:Well play was dead on the inbounds play for MC... Pulaski player was fixing shoe and was granted time.. inbounds refs obv confused but the call was right of no basket.. Idk why MC couldn't see that.

I thought once the ref hands the ball to the inbounder that play is live?
Deer Park Wrote:You missed the part where at the end of the half the Mercer co kid Christian Leatner the Butt kid from Pulaski. Really surprised me nothing was called.

There was so much going on i actually did miss that. What happened?
The ref at half court had his back turned with his hand in the air whenever they through the ball in bounds under the basket and Mercer hit the 3. If I was Mercer coach I'd been highly upset but i think the correct call was made. At half time when the scuffle happened, I saw butt hit the floor (not sure how) and then when Mercer kid was going to locker room, the kid put his foot on butt's chest. Then Butt reacted and probably should have received a technical.
Deer Park Wrote:The ref at half court had his back turned with his hand in the air whenever they through the ball in bounds under the basket and Mercer hit the 3. If I was Mercer coach I'd been highly upset but i think the correct call was made. At half time when the scuffle happened, I saw butt hit the floor (not sure how) and then when Mercer kid was going to locker room, the kid put his foot on butt's chest. Then Butt reacted and probably should have received a technical.

I think Butt got elbowed in throat by MC player, didnt see it, but thats what i was told by friends.
Intentional or not i do not know.
Only positive thing I can say about the 5th region refs for the entire tournament is that they were consistently bad. The blarge was something to see lol
Sylester and Gillis banged all night, they definetly left it all on the floor. Fitzgerald seems like a good kid, never seen him lose his cool in any game, Faulkner same way...MTSU is hot on both those two, thatd instantly make me a fan and be a really good backcourt, but i think they willl both go to bigger schools.
Deer Park Wrote:Only positive thing I can say about the 5th region refs for the entire tournament is that they were consistently bad. The blarge was something to see lol

Yes they sre indeed out of their league..never thought id say it but wish we could have just kept 12 th region...5th bad both ways , if and when a whistle blew, everyone in gym just held their breath and waited anxiously on call.
I'm Basketball Coach. I sat with 2 other retired Coaches and we thought the Ref's were just plain Bad. I can' believe that was the best crew the 5th had.
Worst officiated region tournment i have ever seen for all teams involved. I thought the championship was geting out of control. Luckly nothing serious happened.
Do these guys ref SEC games as well?
It's been said that in this particular region we are talking about here that the best officials don't get sent to either the boys or girls region, but those with most seniority as well as assigners picks. That's the craziest thing I have ever heard, not allowing your best officials to do the best games because someone else might have a couple of years reffing ball on them, or they are better friends with the assigner. That's what wrong with officiating, no real people in charge of them.
daredevil4life Wrote:It's been said that in this particular region we are talking about here that the best officials don't get sent to either the boys or girls region, but those with most seniority as well as assigners picks. That's the craziest thing I have ever heard, not allowing your best officials to do the best games because someone else might have a couple of years reffing ball on them, or they are better friends with the assigner. That's what wrong with officiating, no real people in charge of them.

Thats a dang shame as evidenced by the clowns who actually got to ref. Players and coaches work their butts off all year and then politics, the old "who you know game" cheats an entire Region from having quality officials. Who is THE person thst actually decided that? Can we get a name or is that againd BG Rival rules? Pathetic!
Wildcat18 Wrote:Do these guys ref SEC games as well?

I dont think so, i ve never seen an SEC ref with a seeing -eye dog, dark sunglasses, and a walking stick before.
From what I found on the KHSAA website, the 5th region assigner is Randall Curry. And you are right, players and coaches work hard all season to be their best come the post-season, they should have the best officials as well. And I know there are good officials who work hard at the trade and do all they can to look their best, staying in shape, etc. But, it doesn't matter.