Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Gets First 2008 Verbal from Draymond Green
Saginaw (Mich.) PF Draymond Green, a 6-foot-7, 200 pound power forward has committed according to Kentucky Sports Report. He played AAU ball with the Michigan Mustangs and is a former teammate of long-time UK target Josh Southern. He’s averaging close to 25 points a game and has had the likes of Xavier, Wichita State, Indiana and Michigan watching him at last notice.

He’s a 2008 verbal commitment, the first for Tubby Smith.
http://kentucky.rivals.com/viewprospect...._key=52422

He's 225 lbs. according to Rivals and had interest from several other big name schools. Looks like he has a lot of upside with the following attributes from Rivals' writers...
Shooting: Developing
Rebounding: Outstanding
Passing: Good
Strength: Good

Good to have an early commit for 08' and now Tubby can focus on Frease, Miller, and maybe another PF to finish it out such as Ed Davis.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Is this a good sign for UK? He is only a 3 star prospect on rivals.com.
15thRegionX Wrote:Is this a good sign for UK? He is only a 3 star prospect on rivals.com.

3 Star right now, but he will at least be a 4 by next year. He's burst on to the scene as of late, and several big schools have been all over this guy as you can see on his profile, so this commitment may not be too bad.

People are too wrapped up on rankings, and forget that players like Adam Morrison were never heard of coming out of high school.

This early commit helps relieve the pressure a little bit for the recruiting effort if Tubby misses another PF for 08, but UK is in great standing with Kenny Frease and Darius Miller as of now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Alfus....I'm stunned that I had to be the one to bring this recruitment news to your attention. One would think, being the huge UK fan that you are, that you'd be on top of the recruiting at UK and would be the first to post it. You're starting to slip, bud.
alfus21 Wrote:3 Star right now, but he will at least be a 4 by next year. He's burst on to the scene as of late, and several big schools have been all over this guy so this commitment may not be too bad.

People are too wrapped up on rankings, and forget that players like Adam Morrison were never heard of coming out of high school.

This early commit helps relieve the pressure a little bit for the recruiting effort if Tubby misses another PF for 08, but UK is in great standing with Kenny Frease and Darius Miller as of now.

Yea Darius Miller is a great pick up. And I really hope this guy is the Adam Morrison :rockon: !
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:Alfus....I'm stunned that I had to be the one to bring this recruitment news to your attention. One would think, being the huge UK fan that you are, that you'd be on top of the recruiting at UK and would be the first to post it. You're starting to slip, bud.

Ah buddy. Some people have had class all day, plus two tests to study for tomorrow. Can't be everywhere at once. Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
15thRegionX Wrote:Yea Darius Miller is a great pick up. And I really hope this guy is the Adam Morrison :rockon: !

He is the type of player we've needed for a while. Ranked as top post player in Class A Michigan as a junior this season.

http://www.greatlakeshoops.com/midmichig...report.htm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Don't get too excited with this, UK fans. Keep in mind what Tubby has done lately with recruits.....especially Rekalin Simms and Perry Stevenson. Green will show flashes of brilliance at the beginning of the season and then be tucked away in Tub's doghouse to draw mold and mildew until he 'learns to pull Tubby's plow'.
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:Don't get too excited with this, UK fans. Keep in mind what Tubby has done lately with recruits.....especially Rekalin Simms and Perry Stevenson. Green will show flashes of brilliance at the beginning of the season and then be tucked away in Tub's doghouse to draw mold and mildew until he 'learns to pull Tubby's plow'.

More negative Tubby bashing in a thread over getting what seems to be a pretty good recruit that flew under the radar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Draymond Green, combo-forward - Saginaw HS, Saginaw, MI - Green obviously is a high school teammate of BC commit Josh Southern...at a burly 6'8, Green is capable of playing in the post or on the perimeter and it is this versatility that has lead to an early offer from Michigan State...when things are all said and done, Green will likely have his choice of schools, but he currently lists a top 5 of BC, Kentucky, Michigan State, Tennessee and Xavier, that list looks a lot like Josh Southern's, hmmmm."

http://housethatskinnerbuilt.blogspot.co...chive.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Looks like he has some perimeter game as well...

"Draymond Green scored 19 of his 25 points after halftime to keep NW at bay. He was unstoppable tonight scoring off the dribble, with his back to the basket, and from three-point range. He dropped three daggers from three tonight that killed the momentum of the ‘Cats each time. Oh, and he also had five boards and six assists. I see ‘big-time small forward’ written all over him. He’s got the whole offensive package as a junior in high school: strength, range, speed, and he delivers in the clutch. He needs to become a better ballhandler and defender, but he’s got time to work on it."

http://www.greatlakeshoops.com/Jan%2030/...estern.htm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Looks like this will be a great pickup for the Cats.
alfus21 Wrote:More negative Tubby bashing in a thread.

Just in case you've been out of the country lately, almost all the 'discussion' in the Commonwealth about Tubby Smith has been negative...newspapers, TV, radio stations, chat boards, bedroom talk...everywhere.... Just stating the obvious, alfus.
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:Just in case you've been out of the country lately, almost all the 'discussion' in the Commonwealth about Tubby Smith has been negative...newspapers, TV, radio stations, chat boards, bedroom talk...everywhere.... Just stating the obvious, alfus.

Well, you do have a point there. But I think there would be better stuff to talk about in the bedroom, lol.
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:Saginaw (Mich.) PF Draymond Green, a 6-foot-7, 200 pound power forward has committed according to Kentucky Sports Report. He played AAU ball with the Michigan Mustangs and is a former teammate of long-time UK target Josh Southern. He’s averaging close to 25 points a game and has had the likes of Xavier, Wichita State, Indiana and Michigan watching him at last notice.

He’s a 2008 verbal commitment, the first for Tubby Smith.
Hopefully Tubby isn't around for "His first recruit of '08!
Good pick up for Tubby and the Cats. Not much negative in this recruit stealing him out of Izzo's backyard.
I know I would be crushed if someone STOLE a 3 star recruit right out from under me! WHATEVER!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I know I would be crushed if someone STOLE a 3 star recruit right out from under me! WHATEVER!

Did you know read anything I put up about him? He won't be a 3 star for long. He had offers from Michigan State, Indiana, Boston College, and Tennessee. He's rated as the best post man in the state of Michigan and most recruiting experts said he would have his choice to go wherever he wanted by the end of his senior season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Did you know read anything I put up about him? He won't be a 3 star for long. He had offers from Michigan State, Indiana, Boston College, and Tennessee. He's rated as the best post man in the state of Michigan and most recruiting experts said he would have his choice to go wherever he wanted by the end of his senior season.
Uh yes I did read what you wrote about him, but you aren't Rivals or Scout.com the last time I checked meaning why should I read what you wrote and go with it? I mean, this is the guy who believes in Tubby Smith for crying out loud!:lmao: :flame:
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Uh yes I did read what you wrote about him, but you aren't Rivals or Scout.com the last time I checked meaning why should I read what you wrote and go with it? I mean, this is the guy who believes in Tubby Smith for crying out loud!:lmao: :flame:

I didn't write that about him, those were quotes from Rivals and Scout recruiting writers man. Hence the italicized quotes.

They were also by newspaper writers and sports analysts in Michigan. If you follow the links it's pretty easy to see how good this guy is going to be.

It'd be one thing if I was just posting those as my opinions on the guy, but I provided several links and information about the guy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appears he has posted a couple of triple-doubles this year.

To keep pace with the Knights in the Saginaw Valley League, Saginaw High needed a win over Flint Central, but would have to do it without Josh Southern who was out with an injury.
But that allowed Draymond Green to step up and have a huge game.

The Phoenix did their best to hang, even leading after the first, but they couldn't handle Green, who finished with a powerful triple double. His 31 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists led Saginaw to the 89-72 win, and an unbeaten record in the SVL.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?sectio...id=4953995
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Wolves should have kept another eye on Draymond Green.

Green scored 21 points with 11 rebounds to lead Saginaw High to a 74-18 Saginaw Valley League rout Friday at Bay City Central. Green was 4 of 6 from the 3-point line.

"By far, he's probably the most fundamentally skilled basketball player in the Valley and probably in the state of Michigan," Saginaw High coach Lou Dawkins said. "It's up to him how good he wants to be. With his work in practice, he has the potential to be very good."

Southern, Saginaw High's 6-foot-10 center, has committed to play for Boston College next season. He scored six points.

"Green might be a real sleeper," Central coach Joe Ricard said. "He's 6-7, and he's a big 6-7 ... a Charles Barkley type. And he stepped back and hit a couple of 3-pointers."

http://www.mlive.com/preps/sanews/basket...9#continue
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:They were also by newspaper writers and sports analysts in Michigan. If you follow the links it's pretty easy to see how good this guy is going to be.

Doesn't matter how 'good he's going to be'....keep in mind he'll be playing for Tubby (let's pray not) and we all know what Tubby does to players with potential....can you say STEVENSON?
Looks like a heck of a player, Can step out and shoot the three and hit mid-range jumpers.
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:Doesn't matter how 'good he's going to be'....keep in mind he'll be playing for Tubby (let's pray not) and we all know what Tubby does to players with potential....can you say STEVENSON?

I'd like to know how you already know how Stevenson will turn out. He's a freshmen. He contributes very seldom when in the game, but I do admit he looked good before being yanked out on Saturday which did make me question Tubby as I stated his coaching in that game already. Other than that he gets pushed around quite easily and needs to develop just a bit more before playing in every game.

Funny you know how Stevenson and his potential will already turn out at Kentucky despite having 3 more years to play there.

Can you say Hayes, Daniels, Prince, Bogans, Fitch?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
blackcat_student Wrote:Looks like a heck of a player, Can step out and shoot the three and hit mid-range jumpers.

Looks pretty good to me, and most Kentucky fans. Sad that even the Tubby bashers which care so much about the program won't even welcome a player to the team that Tubby recruited when he beat several big programs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Perry Stevenson showed signs of being good when he played in the Exibition games and the first few games they played before the Maui Invitational. But once he played against guys more agressive and more athletic he couldn't do anything but get knocked around. He needs to gain some weight and get stronger before he becomes a good power forward. Sorry for getting offtopic.
Here's a video of Draymond Green in action.

Alfus, you the #1 UK guy here, should of already had this video posted by now. Don't depend on me to find all this stuff for ya, bud. That makes thee times today you've dropped the ball on posting something important concerning UK basketball. C'mon, son. Let's get with it! I may not always be around to wipe your chin for 'ya.... Smile
alfus21 Wrote:Looks pretty good to me, and most Kentucky fans. Sad that even the Tubby bashers which care so much about the program won't even welcome a player to the team that Tubby recruited when he beat several big programs.

Yeah people think because there not five star players, that there not good enough to play for Kentucky. Tubby did get him over some very strong programs like Kansas, and people should be proud of that.