Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Tournament
Games, thoughts?

Is the tournament set as of today? When is the draw?
I believe the draw is tomorrow. I'd say Corbin and North are your favorites right now. Hope they draw opposite each other. Drawing Barbourville over Clay or HC would definitely help as well. The District winners are going to draw either Clay County, South Laurel, Harlan County, or Barbourville. Doesn't take a genius to realize which team you wanna draw. Knox will have a tough first round game regardless.
My Perdiction:
Knox vs Clay Co.
Corbin vs Harlan Co
North vs South
Middlesboro vs Barbourville
Host is North Laurel

Middlesboro
South Laurel @ 10:00

North Laurel
Barbourville @ 12:30

Corbin
Harlan County @ 3:00

Knox Central
Clay County @ 5:30
The draw favors North.
Boy does it ever. It's possible they could play three games without ever seeing the other teams ace. I'm gonna be real interested in who South and Middlesboro throw at each other, I think the Jackets may not advance if they hold McCullough back. And the other bracket is brutal, a real good chance whoever comes out of there will have to burn their ace to get to the finals. I feel sure Harlan Co. won't hold off on throwing Sizemore in the first round this year like they did last year and got blown out.
I expect North Laurel and KC to play in the finals.
Middlesboro won game one 5-2. McCullough started and Spurlock finished. Unfortunately, I think they're both spent.
You do what you have to move on. Actually shocks me that Smith did not try to out think the situation. Good win.
Harlan Co. just pulled a shocker knocking off Corbin 5-0. Not really a shocker in terms of Harlan Co. can compete with anyone around here with Sizemore on the mound (no mistakes this year, he threw today) but a shocker in terms of how both teams seasons had gone.
Looks like it will be

Mboro
North
Harlan County
Knox/clay
Does anyone have the Knox clay score?
Van Hagar Wrote:Harlan Co. just pulled a shocker knocking off Corbin 5-0. Not really a shocker in terms of Harlan Co. can compete with anyone around here with Sizemore on the mound (no mistakes this year, he threw today) but a shocker in terms of how both teams seasons had gone.

I thought corbin was a favorite

Couldn't score any runs is a shock after reading how fabulous this team was and how many great players they had.
diceman Wrote:I thought corbin was a favorite

Couldn't score any runs is a shock after reading how fabulous this team was and how many great players they had.

Haha. Corbin started one senior today. We'll see y'all next year.

Great win by Harlan county, well deserved. Y'all have the redhounds number this year. You've beat us out in basketball and baseball.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Haha. Corbin started one senior today. We'll see y'all next year.

Great win by Harlan county, well deserved. Y'all have the redhounds number this year. You've beat us out in basketball and baseball.

Do you think Philpot will start feeling some heat? A lot of longtime fans(plus ex-coaches) thought he was the wrong hire, but he was a math teacher, which was the deciding factor from what I was told.
Black Bears win big game!!!!!!!

Great game.
Tuesday North vs. Middlesboro at 5:30, followed by Knox Central-Harlan Co. Middlesboro and Harlan Co. both had to burn their aces Monday, so a North-Knox Central rematch in the finals looks like the best bet.
I said it before district court was played North and Knox Central in finals, rematch from last year and North is gonna repeat again, look out Lexington here comes the Jaguars
I think Middlesboro will have trouble with Griebel if he throws tomorrow. If they decide to hold him for championship, it would be a much closer game. I expect Jacob Mike to pitch tomorrow for Middlesboro if I had to guess.
The Outsider Wrote:Do you think Philpot will start feeling some heat? A lot of longtime fans(plus ex-coaches) thought he was the wrong hire, but he was a math teacher, which was the deciding factor from what I was told.

Honestly I don't know, it's possible. I think he has done fine with what he has had. Honestly, there is typically not a ton of expectations for baseball at Corbin. Corbin has won a total of two region championships in their history. That being said, he will have more talent the next two seasons than has came through in a while. The current sophomore and freshman classes are stacked with baseball talent and the junior bunch has a lot key players too. Time will tell, in my opinion Corbin should win it next season, but I'm not a mover and shaker so it doesn't matter what I think. Lol
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Honestly I don't know, it's possible. I think he has done fine with what he has had. Honestly, there is typically not a ton of expectations for baseball at Corbin. Corbin has won a total of two region championships in their history. That being said, he will have more talent the next two seasons than has came through in a while. The current sophomore and freshman classes are stacked with baseball talent and the junior bunch has a lot key players too. Time will tell, in my opinion Corbin should win it next season, but I'm not a mover and shaker so it doesn't matter what I think. Lol

Corbin has been a district champion machine for 100 years but never had much luck in region.
13th region baseball always had good parity
Curious as to if anyone has any 13th region baseball history.
Its pretty hard to come by unless you go back threw paper archives.
Since North and South only joined the 13th in 06, they wont be near the leaders.

Curious as to who has the most titles. Id imagine Clay, Knox, Mboro, Rock, and Cawood/Cumberland has a few region titles.
I know Cumberland was the team to beat in the late 80's and early 90's. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't the leaders.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:I know Cumberland was the team to beat in the late 80's and early 90's. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't the leaders.

Im sure there is a master list, especially with the paper, but if not ill try to find a list somewhere.
It would make for great discussion.

Somebody asked me what the highest scoring baseball game I ever remember was in the 13th.
I believe it was 95 or 96. Whitley and Barbourville. Dinky Phipps was coaching Bville, and I actually have two cousins that played in that game for Whitley. Junior Peace had just started coaching at Whitley after taking over for Traveny if im not mistaken.
When it was over, I believe the final score was 34-33 with Bville winning in just 7 innings. Not even extra innings!
Seems lik I remember it being in the paper as one of the highest scoring games ever played in the country at that time.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:I think Middlesboro will have trouble with Griebel if he throws tomorrow. If they decide to hold him for championship, it would be a much closer game. I expect Jacob Mike to pitch tomorrow for Middlesboro if I had to guess.

That's a valid point, but honestly I think North will start Tory Bowling against Middlesboro, he's a senior who has probably been their best pitcher this year when Griebel was out. I remember clearly in 2013 at South when North faced Middlesboro in the semis. North had one of their best teams ever with Marcus Carson as a junior and Zack Storm who hit 20 home runs or so, and they didn't throw their best guy that day hoping to get to the finals without him. Middlesboro hammered them that day, still one of the more disappointing losses in North baseball history, because they were really good that year. The starter for North that day--Taylor Bowling older brother of Tory. A fantastic kid and he was a good pitcher, but not the ace and he just didn't have it that day. Maybe a little family redemption on Tuesday?Confusedhh:
I still think North is the team to beat, whether Griebel throws or not. I would obviously love for them to save him though.

That said, this is a little different Middlesboro team than in years past. Not near as fast and they don't quite hit the ball as well. However, they play pretty good small ball and have found some success playing base to base. The defense has also been more consistent for the most part when compared to the last few years. I'm hoping for an upset but I know we would have to play very well and would have to catch North Laurel playing a little down.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Curious as to if anyone has any 13th region baseball history.
Its pretty hard to come by unless you go back threw paper archives.
Since North and South only joined the 13th in 06, they wont be near the leaders.

Curious as to who has the most titles. Id imagine Clay, Knox, Mboro, Rock, and Cawood/Cumberland has a few region titles.

I don't know much about the other teams but I still have a spirit card I purchased from MHS baseball a few years ago that has their numbers on it. They haven't won a region or appeared in a final four since then so those numbers are still the same. District titles since then get a little fuzzy in my head so I won't try that. But, it says they have won 13 regional titles and have appeared in 6 Final Fours. Don't know how far that dates back or anything. I'd say the 60s.
Looks to me as if 13th Region Player of the Year should have went to Sizemore.at Harlan County, I'm not taking anything away from the Brock kid but Sizemore has continually been a player since he was a freshman. Corbin calling it an upset but they knew it was going to be a heck of a game with Sizemore on the mound.
I'm not 100 percent sure on the exact dates. This is from memory.
Cumberland, under Roger Morris, won regional titles from 1985 to 1991 and then in 93, so seven of eight years I think. The Harlan County teams were in the 14th Region in the 70s and part of the 80s. Cawood won the 14th Region in 82 and ended up losing to Middlesboro in the sectional finals.
Middlesboro won several titles in the late 90s - beat Cawood in the finals a couple of times. Rockcastle County also won one or two in the 90s or early 2000s. Harlan won in 96 and lost to Clay in the 97 finals.
Van Hagar Wrote:That's a valid point, but honestly I think North will start Tory Bowling against Middlesboro, he's a senior who has probably been their best pitcher this year when Griebel was out. I remember clearly in 2013 at South when North faced Middlesboro in the semis. North had one of their best teams ever with Marcus Carson as a junior and Zack Storm who hit 20 home runs or so, and they didn't throw their best guy that day hoping to get to the finals without him. Middlesboro hammered them that day, still one of the more disappointing losses in North baseball history, because they were really good that year. The starter for North that day--Taylor Bowling older brother of Tory. A fantastic kid and he was a good pitcher, but not the ace and he just didn't have it that day. Maybe a little family redemption on Tuesday?Confusedhh:

Wasn't that 2012? North beat Harlan County in the 2013 finals, I think.