Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Tournament teams by Football Class
The 16 teams in the 2017 State Baseball Tournament broken down by Football Classification.

6A - 7
Trinity (Louisville)
Simon Kenton
PRP
Scott County
McCracken County
GRC
Muhlenberg County

5A - 1
Highlands

4A - 5
Johnson Central
Franklin-Simpson
Knox Central
Rowan County
Marion County

3A - 2
Caldwell County
Boyle County

2A - 0

1A - 1
Hazard
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Looks alot like the basketball state tourney for the past many years.....and baseball....and softball.....there may be a "little guy" (this years little guy is Hazard who we all know is not a little guy at all in anything) to be there each year but look for the trend to continue in all. Elliott County in basketball is the only exception I can think of as a true little guy that competes. Some day the KHSAA will join the rest of the nation with some type of class system in all sports. 2 classes would be enough in most including basketball, baseball, and softball. Do not know enough about soccer (nor do I care to) to speak if it would there.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Looks alot like the basketball state tourney for the past many years.....and baseball....and softball.....there may be a "little guy" (this years little guy is Hazard who we all know is not a little guy at all in anything) to be there each year but look for the trend to continue in all. Elliott County in basketball is the only exception I can think of as a true little guy that competes. Some day the KHSAA will join the rest of the nation with some type of class system in all sports. 2 classes would be enough in most including basketball, baseball, and softball. Do not know enough about soccer (nor do I care to) to speak if it would there.

1A, 2A & 3A.
4A, 5A & 6A.

If the KHSAA decided to class(I hope they never do), IMO, this would be the most logical.

I know the 15th as well as anybody. The only 4A team is Johnson Central with no 5A or 6A teams. There would have to be some serious moving around of almost every region. The 16 regions we have now would be completely different.

Having the 1, 2 & 3A teams and the 4, 5 & 6A teams competing against each other would be the best for some sports (baseball, softball, basketball, swimming & diving)

Other sports like wrestling would suffer. There aren't that many teams as it is, some classes would only have seven or eight people per weight class in the state championship brackets.

Cross Country and Track & Field use a Class system (1A, 2A & 3A) for their regional and state meets. More less making 3 out of 6.

We would have to have more District, Regional and State meet sites. The competition schedule would have to be cut back (it will not be extended) to accommodate having to play extra post-season tournaments and the travel for some teams would be crazy. Some areas wouldn't be bad, but some would be out of sight just for a district contest. Johnson Central's closest district game would be Boyd County or Ashland Blazer.

Using the 4A, 5A & 6A model.
Johnson Central
Boyd County
Ashland Blazer
Rowan County
Greenup County
East Carter
Perry County Central
Letcher County Central
Harlan County
Knox Central
Montgomery County
North Laurel
South Laurel

I know this is far fetched and seems Cray-Cray, but somebody show me something better.
I can see classifying baseball, but I would only have 2 classes.

If we are using football as a guide,

Small Schools - 1A & 2A

Big Schools - 3A, 4A, 5A, & 6A
Not sure will ever get classes when we can't even get them to hold a double elimination tourney. Its really sad.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:1A, 2A & 3A.
4A, 5A & 6A.

If the KHSAA decided to class(I hope they never do), IMO, this would be the most logical.

I know the 15th as well as anybody. The only 4A team is Johnson Central with no 5A or 6A teams. There would have to be some serious moving around of almost every region. The 16 regions we have now would be completely different.

Having the 1, 2 & 3A teams and the 4, 5 & 6A teams competing against each other would be the best for some sports (baseball, softball, basketball, swimming & diving)

Other sports like wrestling would suffer. There aren't that many teams as it is, some classes would only have seven or eight people per weight class in the state championship brackets.

Cross Country and Track & Field use a Class system (1A, 2A & 3A) for their regional and state meets. More less making 3 out of 6.

We would have to have more District, Regional and State meet sites. The competition schedule would have to be cut back (it will not be extended) to accommodate having to play extra post-season tournaments and the travel for some teams would be crazy. Some areas wouldn't be bad, but some would be out of sight just for a district contest. Johnson Central's closest district game would be Boyd County or Ashland Blazer.

Using the 4A, 5A & 6A model.
Johnson Central
Boyd County
Ashland Blazer
Rowan County
Greenup County
East Carter
Perry County Central
Letcher County Central
Harlan County
Knox Central
Montgomery County
North Laurel
South Laurel

I know this is far fetched and seems Cray-Cray, but somebody show me something better.

Your not cray cray but leaving out alot of teams that are on or east of I-75 in this class to match up with:

Clay Co
Clark Co
Bourbon Co
Harrison Co
Mason Co
Campbell Co
Rockcastle Co
Madison Central
Madison Southern
Grant Co
Scott Co
All 6 Fayette Co 6A schools and Lexington Catholic

There are 32 schools not including 3 more "Lexington" schools in West Jess, East Jess, and Woodford Co. 4 regions by 8 schools each or 2 regions with 16 teams each split into districts. Really would not be hard to do.
Jackson Purchase Wrote:Not sure will ever get classes when we can't even get them to hold a double elimination tourney. Its really sad.

Valid point here.
Why classify a sport that has roster limits? In baseball the best 25 your school has to offer get to play. In basketball it's your best 15. You may have more to choose from but it's still an equal amount, best vs best. If the talent isn't there then develop it over time from Little League through high school by knowledgeable coaching. Football is the one sport that a team has an unlimited roster size and needs to be classified. Some will say it's 11 vs 11 which is true to an extent but you can use up to 88 players if you had a fresh 11 for Offense, Defense, Kickoff, Kick Return, Punt, Punt Return, Field Goal and Field Goal Block. If they limited it to a feasible number that every school can have, say 25, then I'd agree to do away with football classification as well.
Peaches Wrote:Why classify a sport that has roster limits? In baseball the best 25 your school has to offer get to play. In basketball it's your best 15. You may have more to choose from but it's still an equal amount, best vs best. If the talent isn't there then develop it over time from Little League through high school by knowledgeable coaching. Football is the one sport that a team has an unlimited roster size and needs to be classified. Some will say it's 11 vs 11 which is true to an extent but you can use up to 88 players if you had a fresh 11 for Offense, Defense, Kickoff, Kick Return, Punt, Punt Return, Field Goal and Field Goal Block. If they limited it to a feasible number that every school can have, say 25, then I'd agree to do away with football classification as well.

So, you are saying that the other 96% of the states are wrong by classifying? And your "numbers" argument isn't valid for baseball. The larger schools, the ones that have 1400 or more students especially, have a greater opportunity of having a complete and FULL pitching staff ONLY....not two-way players that most small schools have to rely on.

Plus, if you are a large school, good likelihood you are from a higher populated area, which will also equate to a larger little league system, which then equates to more potential roster of players to choose your "best" from. In smaller areas, like the one I live in, we are lucky to field 4 little league teams (age 9-12) because of low population.

Classification needs to happen. It hasn't "watered down" anything as far as their championships. It also creates a more natural rivalry at the state level once teams get there.

The changes that need to happen (after classification) are:

1. Super-regionals (double elimination)
2. Semi-state (double elimination)
3. Final Four State Championship (Single elimination)
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:So, you are saying that the other 96% of the states are wrong by classifying? And your "numbers" argument isn't valid for baseball. The larger schools, the ones that have 1400 or more students especially, have a greater opportunity of having a complete and FULL pitching staff ONLY....not two-way players that most small schools have to rely on.

Plus, if you are a large school, good likelihood you are from a higher populated area, which will also equate to a larger little league system, which then equates to more potential roster of players to choose your "best" from. In smaller areas, like the one I live in, we are lucky to field 4 little league teams (age 9-12) because of low population.

Classification needs to happen. It hasn't "watered down" anything as far as their championships. It also creates a more natural rivalry at the state level once teams get there.

The changes that need to happen (after classification) are:

1. Super-regionals (double elimination)
2. Semi-state (double elimination)
3. Final Four State Championship (Single elimination)

25 is 25 in the grand scheme of things. That number is always the same whether it comes from Louisville or Louisa. There are several teams that have pitcher only guys on the staff not from that area but the teams that have guys that can do all facets of the game well will play every day if the coach believes it is in their best interest. Bryce Harper caught and pitched in high school. Mississippi State used their right fielder Bobby Thigpen to close out games in the mid 80s. It has happened and will continue to happen at just about every level if it gives them the better chance of victory. When you get to the post season it is up to the coach to determine how many guys at each position he wants to carry. If you want 15 position guys and 10 arms available then that is up to the coach. If you don't have pitching then the coach needs to be able to have the vision to see what needs to be developed to make his program more successful in the long run. Waiting until the last moment and wishing upon a shooting star that someone will replace a starter or closer due to graduation is the program's fault. With JV, summer baseball, fall baseball, offseaon bullpen sessions, practice starting in February, tell me when is there not time to take several guys as they advance their careers and work with them to build depth? There is an All "A" state championship that pretty much covers all the smaller schools in the state in both basketball and baseball. They have also split the tournament into two weekends to help those teams out that gripe about pitching have a better shot at succeeding. If that still isn't helping out the program that you root for bring home the title then maybe the KHSAA isn't the problem. No matter how you try to skew it, your school brings your best 25 and another will bring theirs and decide it between the lines.
Peaches Wrote:25 is 25 in the grand scheme of things. That number is always the same whether it comes from Louisville or Louisa. There are several teams that have pitcher only guys on the staff not from that area but the teams that have guys that can do all facets of the game well will play every day if the coach believes it is in their best interest. Bryce Harper caught and pitched in high school. Mississippi State used their right fielder Bobby Thigpen to close out games in the mid 80s. It has happened and will continue to happen at just about every level if it gives them the better chance of victory. When you get to the post season it is up to the coach to determine how many guys at each position he wants to carry. If you want 15 position guys and 10 arms available then that is up to the coach. If you don't have pitching then the coach needs to be able to have the vision to see what needs to be developed to make his program more successful in the long run. Waiting until the last moment and wishing upon a shooting star that someone will replace a starter or closer due to graduation is the program's fault. With JV, summer baseball, fall baseball, offseaon bullpen sessions, practice starting in February, tell me when is there not time to take several guys as they advance their careers and work with them to build depth? There is an All "A" state championship that pretty much covers all the smaller schools in the state in both basketball and baseball. They have also split the tournament into two weekends to help those teams out that gripe about pitching have a better shot at succeeding. If that still isn't helping out the program that you root for bring home the title then maybe the KHSAA isn't the problem. No matter how you try to skew it, your school brings your best 25 and another will bring theirs and decide it between the lines.

So, you think the population of the Louisville Metro area (600,000) does not give them any advantage over Louisa at 2,400? Do you think that smaller schools don't utilize summer ball, fall ball, offseason training, etc.? When your school is only 600 students, and 300 of those being male students, the numbers simply say that a school of 1,400 or higher will have over twice the advantage of having the "best" 25 kids to choose from. In your theory, the Spartan 300 soldiers stood the same chance of beating the Persians at the Battle of Thermopylae since they were better trained, etc. How'd that turn out, and why? Persians win, and oh, yeah, because of NUMBERS.

I think you are missing the point of the entire debate over classification.
Peaches Wrote:Why classify a sport that has roster limits? In baseball the best 25 your school has to offer get to play. In basketball it's your best 15. You may have more to choose from but it's still an equal amount, best vs best. If the talent isn't there then develop it over time from Little League through high school by knowledgeable coaching. Football is the one sport that a team has an unlimited roster size and needs to be classified. Some will say it's 11 vs 11 which is true to an extent but you can use up to 88 players if you had a fresh 11 for Offense, Defense, Kickoff, Kick Return, Punt, Punt Return, Field Goal and Field Goal Block. If they limited it to a feasible number that every school can have, say 25, then I'd agree to do away with football classification as well.

You're right, the answer is to develope that 5'10" power forward into a 6'7" power forward. It can be done if you start when their at the youth level. The best 15 at a school with 1500 boys will be better then the best 15 at a school with 100 boys 95% of the time. It is a clear advantage.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:You're right, the answer is to develope that 5'10" power forward into a 6'7" power forward. It can be done if you start when their at the youth level. The best 15 at a school with 1500 boys will be better then the best 15 at a school with 100 boys 95% of the time. It is a clear advantage.

You act as if 6'7" power forwards are walking down every hall and make up 20% of a 1500 male enrollment in large cities which is not the case. They end up in small towns as well, Paintsville had them as well as a 6'10" center and a 6'9" PF to go along with a 6'7" SF in 1996 and probably had a male enrollment of 100 grades 9-12. I'm sure Clay County in 1987, South Laurel in 2005 and Shelby Valley in 2010 are all teams that had the size you are referencing when they won the title didn't they? No they did not. They were fundamentally sound and played flawless as a team to win their titles. Don't act like it doesn't happen because it does. Not all championships are won by teams from Lexington or Louisville. From 2000 only 4 champions have come from those two cities in Basketball. You want more small schools to win titles and they do every year in the Class "A". The deck is not stacked from the start so why not do your best and outwork the competition? No where does it say you have to have size to win it all or 2000 males to choose from. Every school is represented by their best available and not every school is the same size which is true and that is why they limit each school to 15 players. You take what you have and compete. Sometimes you are the best and other times you aren't. As I said earlier, if the KHSAA determined a cutoff for the number of players on a football team that each school can use I'd be all for eliminating football classification as well.
Peaches Wrote:You act as if 6'7" power forwards are walking down every hall and make up 20% of a 1500 male enrollment in large cities which is not the case. They end up in small towns as well, Paintsville had them as well as a 6'10" center and a 6'9" PF to go along with a 6'7" SF in 1996 and probably had a male enrollment of 100 grades 9-12. I'm sure Clay County in 1987, South Laurel in 2005 and Shelby Valley in 2010 are all teams that had the size you are referencing when they won the title didn't they? No they did not. They were fundamentally sound and played flawless as a team to win their titles. Don't act like it doesn't happen because it does. Not all championships are won by teams from Lexington or Louisville. From 2000 only 4 champions have come from those two cities in Basketball. You want more small schools to win titles and they do every year in the Class "A". The deck is not stacked from the start so why not do your best and outwork the competition? No where does it say you have to have size to win it all or 2000 males to choose from. Every school is represented by their best available and not every school is the same size which is true and that is why they limit each school to 15 players. You take what you have and compete. Sometimes you are the best and other times you aren't. As I said earlier, if the KHSAA determined a cutoff for the number of players on a football team that each school can use I'd be all for eliminating football classification as well.

Clay and South Laurel? You realize that in 2005 South Laurel had an enrollment of over 1,300 students....hardly a "small school". And Clay County will be right around 1,000 students as well. Not quite the 200-600 student population that many would determine as "small".

Now, Paintsville I'll give you. But you are using basketball. When was the last time they had that type of height in their hallways since the mid-90's? Yep, never. And their baseball team in 1990 was the last true "small school" to win the state title. Unless Hazard wins this year, we will be going on 27 years since a small school won it all. So are you saying that during those almost 3 decades, that the only reason no small school has won it is because they haven't "outworked" the other larger schools?
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:So, you think the population of the Louisville Metro area (600,000) does not give them any advantage over Louisa at 2,400? Do you think that smaller schools don't utilize summer ball, fall ball, offseason training, etc.? When your school is only 600 students, and 300 of those being male students, the numbers simply say that a school of 1,400 or higher will have over twice the advantage of having the "best" 25 kids to choose from. In your theory, the Spartan 300 soldiers stood the same chance of beating the Persians at the Battle of Thermopylae since they were better trained, etc. How'd that turn out, and why? Persians win, and oh, yeah, because of NUMBERS.

I think you are missing the point of the entire debate over classification.

No, I think you are missing my point. 25=25. Who cares where they are located? You are wanting smaller schools to start a dynasty with the same restrictions applied to large schools on the number of quality players they can keep in the scorebook. Smaller schools have their chance in May during the All "A". At the end of the year it's best on best. In Jefferson County enrollment is primarily based off zones. Is it fair that Doss, Fairdale, Eastern, Fern Creek, Iroquois, Male, Ballard or Seneca or anyone else may be at a disadvantage because one zone has more pitching and can hit a baseball better than the other?

For the Spartan example, is it fair to the Taliban that one American soldier with a drone can wipe out 100 Charlie while being miles away? It's not about quantity. It is about your mission, your plan and seeing it through to completion. If the Spartans thought 300 could beat thousands then that is their fault and they didn't have a good plan. If it would've been 300 on 300 then I'm sure their chances would've been better. Same as with this whole classification argument. You take your 25 and I'll take my 25, not you bring 25 and I'll have a 6 guys in the outfield and 5 in the infield. Each team plays 9 in the field and one guy is at the plate. How you manufacture runs or keep the other team's bats quiet is strategy all determined by how you make your post season roster.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Clay and South Laurel? You realize that in 2005 South Laurel had an enrollment of over 1,300 students....hardly a "small school". And Clay County will be right around 1,000 students as well. Not quite the 200-600 student population that many would determine as "small".

Now, Paintsville I'll give you. But you are using basketball. When was the last time they had that type of height in their hallways since the mid-90's? Yep, never. And their baseball team in 1990 was the last true "small school" to win the state title. Unless Hazard wins this year, we will be going on 27 years since a small school won it all. So are you saying that during those almost 3 decades, that the only reason no small school has won it is because they haven't "outworked" the other larger schools?

He was talking size of the player not the school. South Laurel didn't have a team full of 6'7" PF that he was insinuating. They were relatively small in comparison to the field. Shelby Valley didn't have a guy over 6'3" when they won it all. Again, every year there is a small school champion and one at large champion. If your school isn't eligible for the All "A" then you are in the same boat as about 190 other schools. And I'm sure over the past 27 years there have been plenty of teams that worked hard, they just didn't have in their roster of 25 what the ones that did in their roster of 25. They have now opened it up to 16 teams over two weekends to accommodate the complaint that you are having. Even if they did classify, what if Lawrence County or Paintsville or West Carter or Raceland or Fairview doesn't win it all? Is it time to divide it even more like a California and have an area champion then be done with it? I think the KHSAA has gone above and beyond to make it competitive for everyone in the running.
4 Districts... 4 teams per District. 16 teams in a Region.
IMO, this would be the best Districts and Region alignment for the 4, 5 & 6A schools in EKY. However, the travel would be unrealistic.
Teams from Regions 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16 would be lumped together.

Johnson Central
Boyd County
Ashland Blazer
Rowan County

Greenup County
East Carter
Montgomery County
Clark Co

Perry County Central
Letcher County Central
Harlan County
Knox Central

North Laurel
South Laurel
Clay Co
Rockcastle Co
Peaches Wrote:No, I think you are missing my point. 25=25. Who cares where they are located? You are wanting smaller schools to start a dynasty with the same restrictions applied to large schools on the number of quality players they can keep in the scorebook. Smaller schools have their chance in May during the All "A". At the end of the year it's best on best. In Jefferson County enrollment is primarily based off zones. Is it fair that Doss, Fairdale, Eastern, Fern Creek, Iroquois, Male, Ballard or Seneca or anyone else may be at a disadvantage because one zone has more pitching and can hit a baseball better than the other?

For the Spartan example, is it fair to the Taliban that one American soldier with a drone can wipe out 100 Charlie while being miles away? It's not about quantity. It is about your mission, your plan and seeing it through to completion. If the Spartans thought 300 could beat thousands then that is their fault and they didn't have a good plan. If it would've been 300 on 300 then I'm sure their chances would've been better. Same as with this whole classification argument. You take your 25 and I'll take my 25, not you bring 25 and I'll have a 6 guys in the outfield and 5 in the infield. Each team plays 9 in the field and one guy is at the plate. How you manufacture runs or keep the other team's bats quiet is strategy all determined by how you make your post season roster.

That historical reference of the Spartans totally went over your head. It wasn't that the Spartans thought 300 was a "good plan", the Persian Empire was enormous in size and in comparison to Sparta. I used that example to show that the Spartan soldiers were the "best" in Sparta, and better trained soldiers than the Persians. However, the enormous numbers is what won that battle. And the "drone" example is apples to oranges. You are talking technology. Your example would be OK if we were talking about large schools using a different kind of bat or something like that. A 25 man roster for a 600 student school is 4% of the student population.....while it would be 1.7% of a 1400 student school. What does that mean? That means that the chances of having MORE SKILLED players are over twice as possible at larger schools than smaller. I would argue that football has 11 on 11, so that shouldn't matter. Find the "best" 11 players in the hallways. Right? Make the football guys play both sides of the ball. Make them be the punter. Make them be the kicker. What if there's an injury? So what. Same with baseball, injuries take place.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I don't think it's any coincidence that Kentucky is one of the last states, or the last one, that doesn't classify. Go watch another state and their state tournament. It is exciting to watch multiple state champs. Rivalries get created. And instead of seeing 16 teams, most being large schools, you end up seeing the BEST teams of all sizes.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:4 Districts... 4 teams per District. 16 teams in a Region.
IMO, this would be the best Districts and Region alignment for the 4, 5 & 6A schools in EKY. However, the travel would be unrealistic.

Johnson Central
Boyd County
Ashland Blazer
Rowan County

Greenup County
East Carter
Montgomery County
Clark Co

Perry County Central
Letcher County Central
Harlan County
Knox Central

North Laurel
South Laurel
Clay Co
Rockcastle Co

Travel sucks, I agree. But let's be honest, most teams travel to far away games already. Pull up some schedules in basketball and baseball. Traveling 2 hours one way isn't unheard of and is done quite regularly. Some states have teams in the postseason having to travel 3 hours one way.

If you use your example, and have each team play each other just once, and then have a regional "ranking" based on record (with tie breakers; head-to-head; least runs given up, etc.), you could have a super regional that could be spread over 2 weeks. Then have a semi-state against a neighboring regional (best of 3) at a neutral field as close to centrally located as possible, then a state tournament Final Four championship. Just two games at state to determine the champion. Pitching wouldn't be in anyone's advantage, and the "best of the best" would be there.

If the KHSAA would use 4 classes, and the post-season example I gave above, they would still have 16 teams in the state tournament and no extra time would be needed to get them in. A spectator just there to watch some good baseball could witness FOUR state titles being won.
Peaches Wrote:He was talking size of the player not the school. South Laurel didn't have a team full of 6'7" PF that he was insinuating. They were relatively small in comparison to the field. Shelby Valley didn't have a guy over 6'3" when they won it all. Again, every year there is a small school champion and one at large champion. If your school isn't eligible for the All "A" then you are in the same boat as about 190 other schools. And I'm sure over the past 27 years there have been plenty of teams that worked hard, they just didn't have in their roster of 25 what the ones that did in their roster of 25. They have now opened it up to 16 teams over two weekends to accommodate the complaint that you are having. Even if they did classify, what if Lawrence County or Paintsville or West Carter or Raceland or Fairview doesn't win it all? Is it time to divide it even more like a California and have an area champion then be done with it? I think the KHSAA has gone above and beyond to make it competitive for everyone in the running.

You're wrong about souths size that year, they had a Eric fields was 6'9" Walt Allen was 6'6" and they also had another post player named trey something that was 6'8". They had plenty of size.

Johnson Central
Boyd County
Ashland Blazer
Rowan County

Greenup County
East Carter
Montgomery County
Clark Co

Perry County Central
Letcher County Central
Harlan County
Knox Central

North Laurel
South Laurel
Clay Co
Rockcastle Co

Swap Rowan and Greenup in the 1st 2 and Clay and Knox in the 2nd 2 and you have started the process pretty well. It's eastern KY. Our home. Travel is always going to be more regardless if your aligning regions, shopping, or looking for a job. It is what it is.
Baseball and softball should have been classed years ago. It's ridiculous that it hasn't been.
Need to go 4 classes or 5. Either would be fine.
8 team state tourneys for each class, and double elimination.
Peaches, you seem to be making a couple of strong assumptions which ultimately make your argument flawed. First, you assume that every school has 25 baseball players. They do not. Your opinion is obviously one from a perspective of never having to try to build a contender from a small town. I don't fault you for that. You can't know what you can't know. However, anyone on here from a small school can tell you, it just doesn't work the way you're describing.
Classes 1A, 2A and some 3A have their State Tournament. Called ALL A.
PRIDE101 Wrote:Classes 1A, 2A and some 3A have their State Tournament. Called ALL A.

If it were sanctioned, you'd have an argument. As it stands, it's a rather empty title.
So you need the KHSAA to sanction the event? Why?
The KHSAA has diverted classification of baseball several times over the past 15 years.
2003- 8 teams advance to state tournament after a best of 3 series
2010- 16 teams advance to state tournament
2016- State semi-finals & Finals played a week after first two rounds

Single elimination baseball format is NO WHERE else! Youth leagues, college, professional all play a series or some type of pool play to advance. Semi-state was the only close to normal format KY ever instituted. But you still had to advance to it via a do or die opening district game, 3 regional tournament games, and then advance after semi-state to another single elimination state where you had to win 3 straight. Moronic.
PRIDE101 Wrote:So you need the KHSAA to sanction the event? Why?

If you want the smaller schools to see it as a legitimate option, make it legitimate. That's what I'm saying. It's the same reason no one cares about the result of a scrimmage. Without being official championships, they aren't.

Johnson Central
Boyd County
Ashland Blazer
Rowan County

Greenup County
East Carter
Montgomery County
Clark Co

Perry County Central
Letcher County Central
Harlan County
Knox Central

North Laurel
South Laurel
Clay Co
Rockcastle Co

You want classification by enrollment to be fair, yet you have thrown Clay County in with North and South Laurel? Clay's enrollment numbers will likely drop them to AAA next realignment. There's no way they should be placed with the Laurels, if you are basing it on enrollment to make it "fair". There is always going to be problems with any type of alignment, regardless of how it is done. There will always be programs that are better year in and year out than other programs.
walterwhite Wrote:You want classification by enrollment to be fair, yet you have thrown Clay County in with North and South Laurel? Clay's enrollment numbers will likely drop them to AAA next realignment. There's no way they should be placed with the Laurels, if you are basing it on enrollment to make it "fair". There is always going to be problems with any type of alignment, regardless of how it is done. There will always be programs that are better year in and year out than other programs.

Agree on the clay thing. If anything Whitley should have been thrown in on that model.

As for your last sentence though, you are right, but if classed there will be some teams that currently aren't the best year in and year out because big schools are still in the mix.