Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
56th District 2018
So with Gibson transferring to South Laurel from Owsley County, is the district now just a 1 horse race with Lee County? They return quite a bit including Hannah Kash....Estill loses a lot, Not sure on Powell, they may return some quality talent, and Owsley, the transfer of Gibson hurts them.

Oh and not to mention, the district is @ Lee County.
Is Gibson definitely leaving
I heard she's only playing summer ball with South Laurel but will be back at Owsley for the 2017-2018 season.

She's also playing for Kentucky Premier this summer and most of her July schedule will be with that team. They play in Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee, and Georgia.
I thought the new Law read that you could not play for another high school team in the summer as you used to be able to.. or it was a violation
Conductor Wrote:I thought the new Law read that you could not play for another high school team in the summer as you used to be able to.. or it was a violation

I haven't heard of this new rule. I don't think the KHSAA has any control over what athletes do during the summer. They don't regulate summer AAU. Athletes can play for any team they want during the summer, and many do. However, I believe Gibson did enroll there for now, so there shouldn't be any issues. But unless the KHSAA has somehow figured out how to legally regulate summer AAU there wasnt really a need for her to enroll. Of course, the Laurel County system might have some internal rule for out of county athletes playing on their county AAU teams, so that could have been the reason.
I'm pretty sure the khsaa just voted on this new statute . There was thread on this board about it, however , if she indeed has enrolled , then it's a non issue . It's hard to figure why she'd actually physically move which she will now have to do to become eligible
Conductor Wrote:I'm pretty sure the khsaa just voted on this new statute . There was thread on this board about it, however , if she indeed has enrolled , then it's a non issue . It's hard to figure why she'd actually physically move which she will now have to do to become eligible

I can't find anything in the KHSAA By-laws about a new rule or statute. The only thing I saw was that school districts could have their own regulations if they so desired. But the KHSAA doesn't regulate summer AAU play. They can, however, enforce the June 25 to July 9 Dead Period if schools are using high school equipment, facilities, and other resources in AAU or other summer basketball activities.

For most purposes what high school basketballl athletes do with their summer basketball activities is their own business, not the KHSAA's.
The new rule passed the board of control and will be voted on by the member schools in the fall. If it passes, then kids can only play for the school they are enrolled in during summer high school basketball. This has no bearing on AAU.
Lee County
Key Losses - Peyton Henry
Key Returning Players - Hannah Kash, Hannah Ross, Morgan Hinkle, Haley Tipton, Abgail Hogan, Sara Estes

Estill County
Key Losses - Sidney Danyeur, McKenzie Flynn, Kaley Treadway
Key Returning Players - Meagan Bellamy, Savannah Brewer, Kiely Flynn, Taylor Duechle

Owsley County
Key Losses - Macie Gibson (Transfer)
Key Returning Players - Amelia Murray, Lexie Lynch, Emille McQueen, Trinity Burch, Shelby Creech

Powell County
Key Losses - None
Key Returning Players - Dakota Brown, Macy Howell, Ashley King, Grace Hall, Alisha Elam, Samantha Watkins

Top Players
1. Hannah Kash, Lee County
2. Dakota Brown, Powell County
3. Macy Howell, Powell County
4. Meagan Bellamy, Estill County
5. Amelia Murray, Owsley County

Rankings
1. Lee County
2. Powell County
3. Owsley County
4. Estill County
Jackson Wrote:The new rule passed the board of control and will be voted on by the member schools in the fall. If it passes, then kids can only play for the school they are enrolled in during summer high school basketball. This has no bearing on AAU.

Okay. So it will be a new rule next season but not right now, and only pertains to high school teams playing summer basketball and not AAU teams that are made up of players from all over the state.
Pretty certain Macie Gibson's enrollment at South Laurel is for summer basketball reasons only. She will be back at Owsley County when school resumes.
Lee County
Key Losses - Peyton Henry
Key Returning Players - Hannah Kash, Hannah Ross, Morgan Hinkle, Haley Tipton, Abgail Hogan, Sara Estes

Estill County
Key Losses - Sidney Danyeur, McKenzie Flynn, Kaley Treadway
Key Returning Players - Meagan Bellamy, Savannah Brewer, Kiely Flynn, Taylor Duechle

Owsley County
Key Losses -
Key Returning Players - Amelia Murray, Lexie Lynch, Emille McQueen, Trinity Burch, Shelby Creech

Powell County
Key Losses - None
Key Returning Players - Dakota Brown, Macy Howell, Ashley King, Grace Hall, Alisha Elam, Samantha Watkins

Top Players
1. Macie Gibson, Owsley County
2. Hannah Kash, Lee County
3. Dakota Brown, Powell County
4. Lexy Lynch, Owsley County
4a. Amelia Murray, Owsley County

Rankings
1. Owsley County
2. Lee County
3. Powell County
4. Estill County

With Gibson at Owsley this is my opinion.