Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adams steps down as Whitley baseball coach
"After six years as head coach of the Whitley County baseball program, Kyle Adams confirmed he is stepping down. He compiled an impressive 113-75 record with the Colonels. Before being named head coach, Adams spent four years as an assistant coach with the Colonels baseball program, and three years as head coach of the Whitley County Middle School baseball program."

http://www.thetimestribune.com/sports/ad...d981b.html
i couldnt belive this when i seen this great coach and good man
Even though the program history isn't there, I think this is a great job. The support system is there to enable their coach to just coach. No worries of money or facilities. Large school to draw players from and develop. I'm very interested to see who applies for this position.
Could Middlesboro be losing another coach to Whitley County? Coach Smith was there once before. Whitley has great facilities but they play in a tough district, which could keep some other coaches from applying. Going to be interesting.
Finally.

Now go hire a coach. Not a teacher who wants an extra stipend.
bigscreen Wrote:Could Middlesboro be losing another coach to Whitley County? Coach Smith was there once before. Whitley has great facilities but they play in a tough district, which could keep some other coaches from applying. Going to be interesting.

No chance. He left there for a reason, when things were even better financially for the program. He's now getting the facility upgrades that he's been asking for at Middlesboro and has a great team coming back. Not to mention it is his alma mater and a place where he is considered a legend. Those other coaches that left for Whitley had no ties to Middlesboro. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rob Ledington throw his name in there though.
Rob Leddington who coached up on the mountain?? Even Whitley would not hire him....didn't Corbin fire him
I said it on another thread months ago that if someone wants to make a great hire they need to get Booth from London. College coaching experience and helps kids get better and into colleges. Not sure if he will apply but someone from that school needs to look into it.
bigscreen Wrote:Rob Leddington who coached up on the mountain?? Even Whitley would not hire him....didn't Corbin fire him

As much as I don't like the guy, he did win a regional championship at Bell. Whitley has hired him before which is probably the reason he won't be hired again. He quit at Whitley to go to Corbin and quit Corbin because his wife was passed over for a job.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:No chance. He left there for a reason, when things were even better financially for the program. He's now getting the facility upgrades that he's been asking for at Middlesboro and has a great team coming back. Not to mention it is his alma mater and a place where he is considered a legend. Those other coaches that left for Whitley had no ties to Middlesboro. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rob Ledington throw his name in there though.

According to many in Whitley . I would have thought the same if he had not inquired about the job on so many occasions.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:No chance. He left there for a reason, when things were even better financially for the program. He's now getting the facility upgrades that he's been asking for at Middlesboro and has a great team coming back. Not to mention it is his alma mater and a place where he is considered a legend. Those other coaches that left for Whitley had no ties to Middlesboro. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rob Ledington throw his name in there though.

He did leave for a reason, that reason is why he will not be hired back.

Whitley beat Middlesboro both times they played this season, pre-season and end of year. So his returning situation is not that great. 1 player carrying the torch and when he is gone , then what.
Leddington not Smith will be hired at Whitley again. Or shouldn't anyways. I would not out anything past siler.
How about Jake Mahan? Most people believe that he should be the coach at Corbin right now, so I could see him interested in the
Whitley job.
Problem is Mahan would bail
No one with any sense will take the Whitley job. They have great facilities, but that's as far as the support goes. Whitley administration cares more about WHO plays than HOW they play. It's why they'll consistently be a second rate team.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:No one with any sense will take the Whitley job. They have great facilities, but that's as far as the support goes. Whitley administration cares more about WHO plays than HOW they play. It's why they'll consistently be a second rate team.

Another without a clue!!! Gutless, Head Coach and you assistant. We would be set.................................................:notworthy You both know it all.:Cheerlead You guys need a skirt and pom poms.
TheRock Wrote:Another without a clue!!! Gutless, Head Coach and you assistant. We would be set.................................................:notworthy You both know it all.:Cheerlead You guys need a skirt and pom poms.

You keep saying we have no clue like we are in the wrong while you never mention how many district and region titles Whitley had had in 50 years of existence....
Please list them.
TheRock Wrote:He did leave for a reason, that reason is why he will not be hired back.

Whitley beat Middlesboro both times they played this season, pre-season and end of year. So his returning situation is not that great. 1 player carrying the torch and when he is gone , then what.

Wow, counting scrimmages as a win? Were you the kind of guy that counted your HRs in BP as well? That's funny. Seriously.

And Whitley did beat Middlesboro at end of season, 2 days before district tournament. Josh Arnold threw 2 2/3. End of story. Anyone that knew Middlesboro this year could tell you that either A) they literally had no one else to pitch or B) they were holding pitching and were willing to take the L/pitch Arnold if necessary.

I can sense your frustration so I will forgive your troll attempt to diminish the team Middlesboro has coming back. I will respond with just this; Middlesboro won their district and beat South Laurel while advancing to regional semifinals. If Adams had done that, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Wow, counting scrimmages as a win? Were you the kind of guy that counted your HRs in BP as well? That's funny. Seriously.

And Whitley did beat Middlesboro at end of season, 2 days before district tournament. Josh Arnold threw 2 2/3. End of story. Anyone that knew Middlesboro this year could tell you that either A) they literally had no one else to pitch or B) they were holding pitching and were willing to take the L/pitch Arnold if necessary.

I can sense your frustration so I will forgive your troll attempt to diminish the team Middlesboro has coming back. I will respond with just this; Middlesboro won their district and beat South Laurel while advancing to regional semifinals. If Adams had done that, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Really, you had the opposite stand when I said we had no pitching depth to win region. Now, the excuse of pitching depth comes out. You can argue on a Whitley site, but understand Smith would go back to Whitley in a minute if asked. The future after next season for us is bleak. You have a hard time with the truth about our situation here. You look at this season as a great success, Powell would have been very disappointed. You are the kind of guy that likes to have it both ways. Looks to me you are trolling on a Whitley site.
Over the last 10 years Middlesboro has a losing record against Whitley Corbin and SL. Good thing their not in the 50th.
Whatever is said here is usually twisted in a lame attempt to belittle a school or a coach or a program.

So Let me be very clear.

Coach Adams is a good guy, and a very good teacher. He is a pretty good coach too. Before he was coaching he was a very good umpire too. He is a very good football and basketball official and is working to get better. Now I don't want to speak for him but I'm sure he is going to continue to move up the ranks there too. Plus there are family considerations too. ONE thing you can say is he always took care of the players and improved the program.

Give the man a little respect, tip your hat to him and let him pursue his other interests.

The admin at the County will fill the position with the best coach they can find. I have not polled them but I'm fairly confident they are not looking for input from the posters on here to make the proper hire.

That is all.
NextGeneration Wrote:Really, you had the opposite stand when I said we had no pitching depth to win region. Now, the excuse of pitching depth comes out. You can argue on a Whitley site, but understand Smith would go back to Whitley in a minute if asked. The future after next season for us is bleak. You have a hard time with the truth about our situation here. You look at this season as a great success, Powell would have been very disappointed. You are the kind of guy that likes to have it both ways. Looks to me you are trolling on a Whitley site.

First of all, stop saying we when referring to Middlesboro. Secondly, nothing I said is in disagreement with the statement about pitching depth. See what happens in baseball, is most teams want to have all the arms that they could possibly use in the district tournament, fresh and ready. Thus, throwing Arnold meant that McCullough, Spurlock, Mike, and Elkins were all getting rest. Call that an excuse if you'd like. Pretty common practice.

I also didn't call this season a great success although I will admit that beating South Laurel and taking NL to the final out in the regional semis is no small feat. In my opinion, pitching was mismanaged in the opening round game but pitching is not what lost the game against NL, so it didn't end up being a factor.

Trolling on a Whitley site? Explain how this is a Whitley site?
footballfever Wrote:Over the last 10 years Middlesboro has a losing record against Whitley Corbin and SL. Good thing their not in the 50th.

Well somehow Middlesboro and Harlan County missed the memo in the regional tournament this year.
TheRock Wrote:Hey, why don't you and nextgeneration take Middlesboro talk to that thread , I am getting tired of your excuses as to why middlesboro lost and how good they are. Aren't you the one that wants to classify baseball so you can beat Pineville and Lynn Camp and win region anyway. I understand why Gutless and his side kick don't have a clue they are from Corbin. Why don't you have a clue about your own teams?

I do think there should be two classes for baseball. If that were to happen, Kentucky would be the 49th state to go that route. I think there should be a 1A-3A title and a 4A-6A title. Pretty embarrassing that a classification doesn't already exist.

"Why don't you have a clue about your own teams?" Not even sure what you're saying here honestly.

I got your PM Rock. Thanks for the intel. We'll see what happens.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:First of all, stop saying we when referring to Middlesboro. Secondly, nothing I said is in disagreement with the statement about pitching depth. See what happens in baseball, is most teams want to have all the arms that they could possibly use in the district tournament, fresh and ready. Thus, throwing Arnold meant that McCullough, Spurlock, Mike, and Elkins were all getting rest. Call that an excuse if you'd like. Pretty common practice.

I also didn't call this season a great success although I will admit that beating South Laurel and taking NL to the final out in the regional semis is no small feat. In my opinion, pitching was mismanaged in the opening round game but pitching is not what lost the game against NL, so it didn't end up being a factor.

Trolling on a Whitley site? Explain how this is a Whitley site?

First, I will say sorry, I forgot you were unable to understand most things....in stead of site ,I guess I should have said Thread. My bad.

Secondly, I would ask you to not use the term WE, because you support what is going on in OUR system and sports program in general. Don't misunderstand, Smith does an average job. He is competitive, but not what Powell did. The rest has been a joke since he stole his job.

So if you don't mind please stop claiming to be a fan, you must be getting something from Martin. A true fan doesn't sit on his behind a put up with his nonsense. You are just a stat guy that knows what he can google.
TheRock Wrote:I have one thing to say to you, you either can't read or to dumb to understand these guys are talking about Smith as well. But do understand one thing, he would love to come back because he has inquired several times about it.

Smith could very likely be the next coach for The Colonels Smile
I have heard that Williamsburg's Coach is wanting that position? I think his wife is employed there and their children are enrolled in that school system???
pjdoug Wrote:Smith could very likely be the next coach for The Colonels Smile
Smith wanted to move back home in Middlesboro. He wanted the job he has now. If you all remember, he left Whitley to be the asst. coach (head coach in the waiting) to get back home. He had what is offered there now. Financial situation was as good then as it is now. Ledington said he hated to leave Whitley for Corbin because of the money at Whitley, but Siler may have someone else that he is thinking about more. But with that said, I don't see John Smith coming back, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ledington doesn't at least apply?
so much turmoil in this thread Confusednicker:
baller1989 Wrote:I have heard that Williamsburg's Coach is wanting that position? I think his wife is employed there and their children are enrolled in that school system???

The Williamsburg coach needs to stay where he is Smile