Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 2017
Any word what they have. Will they be any better? Will they have a winning season
I figured they'd be on their way back to the top Smile
Everything I have read seems to suggest they will be improved but still nowhere near the level we have been accustomed to from Highlands.

Not much size, Defense will still struggle.
Wouldn't expect to much this year. Sophomore class has some talent, but they won't see the field because its not the Highlands way. Head Coaches replacement was brought on staff this year as an assistant, but he will get at least 2 more years, till they get through the talent draught.
I heard that last years sophomore class had the talent.
Are we talking Siple? The Highlands way must change. It doesn't last forever to play kids one way. And you play you're best. No matter what class they are in. The objective is to win.
bo67 Wrote:Are we talking Siple? The Highlands way must change. It doesn't last forever to play kids one way. And you play you're best. No matter what class they are in. The objective is to win.

You got that right. some schools can't seem to figure that out .
bo67 Wrote:I heard that last years sophomore class had the talent.

Wouldnt know, they never let any of them play.
Siple WILL NOT be the next head coach at Highlands and you can take that to the bank. There were sophomores that played last year and the year before and the year before and so on and so on.

The issue at Highlands currently is not a lack of talent, but rather a lack of depth. When you choose to 2 platoon you end up having kids on the field that normally would not see much if any action except for maybe special teams.

From what I have been told, each kid on the roster now has an offensive and a defensive position. Whether any play both ways is yet to be seen, but my guess is the coaching staff is feeling a lot of pressure to "win" games.

The biggest question mark again will be at the QB position. Little to no varsity experience at the position. Best returning player is a WR, but if you cannot get him the ball then what do you do?

This years seniors struggled as frosh just like last years, but the last two classes each went 6-3 I believe, so the depth should be improving a little.
I heard the kids learning offense and defense position too. You might see 4 or 5 kids play some both ways. I'm just guessing on the number. And I do believe the coaches are feeling the pressure.
I said 2 years ago about 4 games into the season. They better start playing some kids both ways. Veneman is their best player. He would be an awesome DB too.
bo67 Wrote:I said 2 years ago about 4 games into the season. They better start playing some kids both ways. Veneman is their best player. He would be an awesome DB too.

You are preaching to the choir. There was also a problem where some coaches were simply overmatched for the positions that they were holding. Way too many times, better players sharing time with kids that had no business getting meaningful snaps at all.
Mantax. We have had difference in opinions before. Nothing wrong with that. But be honest. Do they AT THIS TIME. Need to play SOME kids both ways.
bo67 Wrote:Mantax. We have had difference in opinions before. Nothing wrong with that. But be honest. Do they AT THIS TIME. Need to play SOME kids both ways.

Needed to happen in 2015 and 2016 and needs to happen this year in order to be successful. Also have to quit trying to put kids in positions that they cannot be successful in. The change on the defensive side of the ball will be HUGE imo.
Is this problem a combination of talent and coaching. They've GOT to find a way to stop people.
bo67 Wrote:Is this problem a combination of talent and coaching. They've GOT to find a way to stop people.

If you are referring to the "defense" problem, I would say it is a little of both. There is and has been sufficient talent if as a coach you really sit down and take a good hard look at your roster. Is there a need to have 10 to 12 wide receivers playing every 3rd or 4th play when some of them might just help you on the other side of the ball.

Honestly think this started to come to light in the 2013 season when they lost to Collins in the finals. Putting your best 11 on the field that last drive and you are again a state champion. The guy that got torched on that last drive had no business even being on the field.

Beau Hoge masked a lot of problems in 2014 because he was like having another coach on the field.

In 2015, you have one of your big boys standing on the sidelines watching as Pulaski justs runs one play after another up the gut. You finally put the kid in when it is too late. That same game, you had arguably your best defender standing on the sidelines watching as well. He too went into the game when it was too late. That falls squarely on the guy that was coaching the defense IMO.

Last year there were guys who chose to be selfish and stand on the sidelines and watch rather than making a position change. Easy way to take care of that as a coach, but nothing happened.

Time will tell how things will be this year, but expect D to be improved with Weinrich going back to that side of the ball.
At the same time Highlands stopped taking in out of district kids, the in house talent was not as good as in the past, hence the situation they are in today. No biggie, all good teams have them from time to time.
I remember that Collins loss at state. Collins started playing some kids both ways in the 2nd half. I think their coach thought we are in the game. So we need to step it up. They made the adjustments. Highlands didn't. I know what you mean about having 12 receivers rotating in and out.
mantax Wrote:If you are referring to the "defense" problem, I would say it is a little of both. There is and has been sufficient talent if as a coach you really sit down and take a good hard look at your roster. Is there a need to have 10 to 12 wide receivers playing every 3rd or 4th play when some of them might just help you on the other side of the ball.

Honestly think this started to come to light in the 2013 season when they lost to Collins in the finals. Putting your best 11 on the field that last drive and you are again a state champion. The guy that got torched on that last drive had no business even being on the field.

Beau Hoge masked a lot of problems in 2014 because he was like having another coach on the field.

In 2015, you have one of your big boys standing on the sidelines watching as Pulaski justs runs one play after another up the gut. You finally put the kid in when it is too late. That same game, you had arguably your best defender standing on the sidelines watching as well. He too went into the game when it was too late. That falls squarely on the guy that was coaching the defense IMO.

Last year there were guys who chose to be selfish and stand on the sidelines and watch rather than making a position change. Easy way to take care of that as a coach, but nothing happened.

Time will tell how things will be this year, but expect D to be improved with Weinrich going back to that side of the ball.

Man I see stuff like 10 to 12 receivers rotating and platooning and it's just so foreign to me. Are we talking about high school or are we talking about college. This is nothing personal against Highlands just using you as an example, but I think some schools in this country need to stop taking high school football so serious and just let the kids play and have some fun. Some schools run their program like it's the big leagues and a Lombardi trophy and multi million dollar contracts are on the line or something. I can't help but wander when grown ups take things like this so serious and make it so complicated how much of the fun are they sucking out of it for the kids.
I can't be for sure. I'm not sure where they got their defensive set. But I think Cris Collinsworth put the New York Giants offense in. Just what I heard. With both his sons playing there. He also helped coach.
bo67 Wrote:I can't be for sure. I'm not sure where they got their defensive set. But I think Cris Collinsworth put the New York Giants offense in. Just what I heard. With both his sons playing there. He also helped coach.

They also had 5 times the talent then, than they do at current.
5 times is a stretch. Twice more like it. Talent down? Yes. Coaching good? No
Mueller is gone. I know for a FACT. He ran the whole show. Even though he ran the offense. He had his hand in everything. Present coach is not a Dale Mueller. Unable to do it.
I am hearing that there is some dissension amongst the coaching staff. To expound on bo67's post, shouldn't the head coach have his hand on the pulse of everything that goes on in his program from the varsity team through and including the frosh team? Agree in that I am not real sure that this is happening right now. BW will never be fired because that is not Highlands MO, but you can rest assure that the pressure of having another season like the last is a heavy weight to carry around especially when there was NO attempt to make any sort of changes on either side of the ball.
Why did coaches like Eicher and Duffy leave? I wasn't living in the area when they were the head coaches
Example. 2012 team. 17 receivers. 14 could play and start for most teams. Rotated them almost every play. That's when the team was loaded. On both sides of ball. Kids were able to pick their position and stay there. Now talent is down some. They don't have that luxury. Kids now should play where told and needed to play. They have to have at least 15 good athletes. Both ways? If that's what it takes to win football games. Yes!!!
Right now. They have gotten to the point everyone thinks they can beat them.
bo67 Wrote:Mueller is gone. I know for a FACT. He ran the whole show. Even though he ran the offense. He had his hand in everything. Present coach is not a Dale Mueller. Unable to do it.

So then you are blaming coach Mueller for Highlands current situation?
mantax Wrote:I am hearing that there is some dissension amongst the coaching staff. To expound on bo67's post, shouldn't the head coach have his hand on the pulse of everything that goes on in his program from the varsity team through and including the frosh team? Agree in that I am not real sure that this is happening right now. BW will never be fired because that is not Highlands MO, but you can rest assure that the pressure of having another season like the last is a heavy weight to carry around especially when there was NO attempt to make any sort of changes on either side of the ball.

They have brought in coaches that create conflict, and have wherever they have been. One of those coaches was brought in without the ok from the current head coach.
bo67 Wrote:Example. 2012 team. 17 receivers. 14 could play and start for most teams. Rotated them almost every play. That's when the team was loaded. On both sides of ball. Kids were able to pick their position and stay there. Now talent is down some. They don't have that luxury. Kids now should play where told and needed to play. They have to have at least 15 good athletes. Both ways? If that's what it takes to win football games. Yes!!!

Now your saying it is because kids will not play where they are told to play. Which is it the coaches or the kids.