Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyle 8th grade boys
They will be very good at basketball this year. Football is not the only sport they play. Hope they schedule some games outside of SRC!
They will be very good.
I heard they gave LexCath a beatdown a week or so ago.
They just beat Lexington Catholic for a second time.
Boyle is a really good team. However, this past weekend in the Community Trust Bank Holiday Classic they were beat in the championship game by Campbell Jr High (Clark County ) by 10 points which is also a really go3team. Boyle had beaten Campbell in pool play but was over matched in the championship game. Campbell figured out that Boyle had no shooters and ran a 2-3 zone in the championship game to eliminate their strength which is driving the ball to the basket. Boyle is still a top 5 team in the state. Here is my opinion on who the top five are that I know of.

1) Barrett
2) North Pulaski
3) Campbell Jr High
4) Boyle Co
5) Newburg
WincityCards Wrote:Boyle is a really good team. However, this past weekend in the Community Trust Bank Holiday Classic they were beat in the championship game by Campbell Jr High (Clark County ) by 10 points which is also a really go3team. Boyle had beaten Campbell in pool play but was over matched in the championship game. Campbell figured out that Boyle had no shooters and ran a 2-3 zone in the championship game to eliminate their strength which is driving the ball to the basket. Boyle is still a top 5 team in the state. Here is my opinion on who the top five are that I know of.

1) Barrett
2) North Pulaski
3) Campbell Jr High
4) Boyle Co
5) Newburg
The zone didn't slow down their Slone kid at all. The other players struggled some with it,but Boyle played man the whole game. They could have hurt them by playing zone too.
Should be fun seeing how State shacks out. The 5 I listed all should have a good shot.
The Slone kid is also 15 going against 13 or kids that just turned 14.
WincityCards Wrote:The Slone kid is also 15 going against 13 or kids that just turned 14.
There are kids all over that are older than some, doesn't change the fact. Kids are athletic or they are not. The age thing doesn't really matter that much at this point.
The Slone kid is a good player but I disagree with your statement! Hold backs have the most advantage in middle school where they are playing against kids that are strictly in the same grade. Unlike High School where they play against all grades and will have to adapt to not always being the oldest on the block. To think a 15 year old is not more developed phyically and mentally than a 13 or 14 year old is asinine. Why did they hold him back last year to begin with...to get an advantage. To make a statement that a kid couldn't be stopped but not admit him being older had any advantage is skewed thinking!
WincityCards Wrote:The Slone kid is a good player but I disagree with you statement. Hold backs have the most advantage in middle school where they strictly play against same grade level. Unlike High school where they play against all grades and have to adapt to not always being the oldest kid on the block. To say a 15 year old is no more developed physically and mentally than a 13 or 14 year old is asinine. Why did they hold the Slone kid back last year...to get an advantaged! It’s skewed thinking to make a statement that a kid couldn’t be stopped but not admit his age having any factor. We have several kids on our team that are athletic because they are athletic and not because they are older than the kids they are playing.

He I very legal to play. I guess we will see how much it matters in high school. I think it will be the same.....he can play!
I'm not denying the kid can play. However I'm also not over looking the fact that currently he is playing against kids he is a year+ older than. Your statement was the 2-3 didn't slow him down. My response was alot of that has to do with him being older than the kids he playing against. All our kids are 13 or just turned 14. I'm sure he will be a good high school players.
People that complain about hold backs drive me crazy. Kids develop at different times/ages and it is ridiculous to bring it up in a discussion. Put your big boy panties on and play the game win/lose without an excuse.

The Sloan kid is a baller and his best sport may not even be basketball.

As for Boyle Co. I'm really wondering if once they get to high school the full group comes together and shows what they can do in all sports? There is a ton of talent at Boyle from the 2020 thru 2024 classes.
The only people that say hold backs is not an advantage is the parents of those teams that are loaded with hold backs. No excuses on this side...we won win it counted in the championship game with true 8th grade kids against a team full of hold backs. Also, I see you guys are not playing in the 12th region middle school tournament at KBA this weekend. You guys scared to play against Northern Pulaski another all hold back team. Why don't you all put your big boy panties on and play other all hold back teams win/lose.
FoSho Wrote:People that complain about hold backs drive me crazy. Kids develop at different times/ages and it is ridiculous to bring it up in a discussion. Put your big boy panties on and play the game win/lose without an excuse.

The Sloan kid is a baller and his best sport may not even be basketball.

As for Boyle Co. I'm really wondering if once they get to high school the full group comes together and shows what they can do in all sports? There is a ton of talent at Boyle from the 2020 thru 2024 classes.

You are absolutely correct! I know freshmen that are physically stronger than seniors, 7th graders stronger nd faster than freshmen. They all played zone because they couldn't stay in front of anybody, good coaching. They still didn't stop the Slone kid,that's all I'm saying.
Will these kids be at Boyle next year?
Please look back over the argument you all are trying to make.* By your logic you are basically saying the Slone kid is under developed which is why he was held back and is playing at the level of a 13 or 14 year old.* So which one is it?* He's good or under developed hence the reason for being held back.
plantmanky Wrote:Will these kids be at Boyle next year?

Yes, they will all be there.
plantmanky Wrote:Will these kids be at Boyle next year?

Ummmmm where else would they go?
WincityCards Wrote:The only people that say hold backs is not an advantage is the parents of those teams that are loaded with hold backs. No excuses on this side...we won win it counted in the championship game with true 8th grade kids against a team full of hold backs. Also, I see you guys are not playing in the 12th region middle school tournament at KBA this weekend. You guys scared to play against Northern Pulaski another all hold back team. Why don't you all put your big boy panties on and play other all hold back teams win/lose.
Yes we are scared😂 The team is not full of hold backs either. You won a game,whoopee! You just make false statements. We may lose but we will man you up and play defense. You all have a really good team too, but all I said was the 2-3 didn't stop everybody. That's the fact!
WincityCards Wrote:I'm not denying the kid can play. However I'm also not over looking the fact that currently he is playing against kids he is a year+ older than. Your statement was the 2-3 didn't slow him down. My response was alot of that has to do with him being older than the kids he playing against. All our kids are 13 or just turned 14. I'm sure he will be a good high school players.
I think he played 16u last summer against really good competition and more than held his own. Probably actually plays better against older kids.
FoSho Wrote:Ummmmm where else would they go?

I would assume some of them would leave with Coach Smith when he takes his new job.
plantmanky Wrote:i would assume some of them would leave with coach smith when he takes his new job.

😂
WincityCards Wrote:The only people that say hold backs is not an advantage is the parents of those teams that are loaded with hold backs. No excuses on this side...we won win it counted in the championship game with true 8th grade kids against a team full of hold backs. Also, I see you guys are not playing in the 12th region middle school tournament at KBA this weekend. You guys scared to play against Northern Pulaski another all hold back team. Why don't you all put your big boy panties on and play other all hold back teams win/lose.

I don't have a kid playing.

Your community is known for horrible athletics, good luck with that. Enjoy watching us win titles! Lol
FoSho Wrote:I don't have a kid playing.

Your community is known for horrible athletics, good luck with that. Enjoy watching us win titles! Lol

Wow, you guys win State in High School Football and now you have great athletics. What have your other sports done?

GRC Girls ranked top 10 in the state, boys ranked top 10 in the state, girls soccer was ranked amongst the top during their season. Baseball team advanced far in the state tournament last year but we have horrible athletics.

I've seen a lot of middle schools athletics have success off hold backs and that same success not transfer to high school. So good luck with that!
BCFF Wrote:I think he played 16u last summer against really good competition and more than held his own. Probably actually plays better against older kids.

So should I be impressed? By your all's logic age doesn't matter at this point.

Again, I'm not saying the Slone kid is not a really good player. The point I'm making is age does still have a factor at this point expecially when the kid is a year+ older than most he is playing against in 8th grade.
FoSho Wrote:I don't have a kid playing.

The last I checked GRC's athletics is doing just fine. Boys basketball and baseball amongst the top in the state. Girl basketball and soccer amongst top in the state. No we haven't won a State football championship but what has your athletics done outside of that?

Middle school athletics success off hold backs doesn't always transfer to High school success.

Let's revisit this in 3 to 4 years and see who's high school is having the most success in basketball.
WincityCards Wrote:The last I checked GRC's athletics is doing just fine. Boys basketball and baseball amongst the top in the state. Girl basketball and soccer amongst top in the state. No we haven't won a State football championship but what has your athletics done outside of that?

Middle school athletics success off hold backs doesn't always transfer to High school success.

Let's revisit this in 3 to 4 years and see who's high school is having the most success in basketball.

We haven't been doing much....

Sweet 16 Final Four in 2015
Baseball State Final 16 in 2016
State Football Title 2017 (8 total)
Back to Back Girls Track State Title 2015/2016
Soccer Girls Final Four 2016
Softball State Final 16 in 2016
Even a State Bowling Title 2017

FYI middle school titles aren't sanctioned by the KHSAA so therefore we wouldn't count. Everything we do at BCMS gears toward a run when it counts at BCHS.
KBA State is not too far away with 8th being Feb 2-4. Talked to KBA rep and he said they had 60 teams last year and are on pace to even have more this year. Not sure if they have a cap, so might want to sign them up over the next week or so if you haven't.

Would have to think Barrett would be the team to beat this year as they were fairly dominant at State last year as 7th graders. Have seen Clark County and Boyle play in person this year and they looked very good. For fun looked up last years (7th grade) results for State and got these results.

Semi Finals (no order) were: Ashland, Knox, N Pulaski, Clark, Barrett, Lincoln Co, Scott Co, and Owensboro

Quarter Finals were: N Pulaski, Ashland, Barett, and Lincoln Co

Final: Barrett and N Pulaski with Barrett winning 58-45
Just heard Boyle was missing a starter vs Campbell MS...that explains a lot.

State Tourney should be fun. Go Eagles!