3. Whitley County - Think this could be their year
4. Clay County - their style of play is just tough to play against
5. North Laurel - losing their big girl hurts them bad
6. Pineville - maybe high, but King will really help them inside
7. Williamsburg -seem to return a lot
8. Harlan - the loss of stud PG just too much to overcome
9. Corbin - The Redhounds will just keep getting better
10. Knox Central - Somebody had to go here
The lady hounds are young. Watch out for the big girl Robinson the transfer Grant from Lynn Camp the freshman Stewart girl and Steely. They gotta score though. Stevens is the only returning starter and only average about 6 points a game. Interesting with the new coach what they can do
I'd be surprised if Knox is that high.
At this point so far through scrimmages, first few games, what you hear:

1. Harlan Co.
2. South Laurel
3. Clay Co.
4. Whitley Co.
5. North Laurel
6. Williamsburg
7. Pineville
8. Harlan
9. Corbin
10. Bell Co.

Then I'd go - Jackson Co, Barbourville, Knox Central, Middlesboro, Lynn Camp, Red Bird, OBI
1. Harlan County
2. South Laurel
3. North Laurel
4. Clay County
5. Whitley County
6. Williamsburg
7. Harlan
8. Pineville
9. Corbin
10. Jackson County

Don't know why people are moving North Laurel down, they have as much talent as anyone in the region.
Just my opinion.

1. Toss up between Harlan and South
(Last 3 games have been single digit between these two, with South winning the last one at Harlan.

3. North (and on a good shooting night they would be tough tor anyone in this region)

4. Williamsburg (watch them beat Whitley and Corbin last year, and they have gotten even better; Hall girl is really good)

5. Whitley (because they're coached well and they upset South in OT last year)

6. Clay (because they're very well coached also. Young but talented)

7. Harlan city (The King girl)

8. Pineville

9. Lynn Camp

10. Corbin
Ball Dad Wrote:Just my opinion.

1. Toss up between Harlan and South
(Last 3 games have been single digit between these two, with South winning the last one at Harlan.

3. North (and on a good shooting night they would be tough tor anyone in this region)

4. Williamsburg (watch them beat Whitley and Corbin last year, and they have gotten even better; Hall girl is really good)

5. Whitley (because they're coached well and they upset South in OT last year)

6. Clay (because they're very well coached also. Young but talented)

7. Harlan city (The King girl)

8. Pineville

9. Lynn Camp

10. Corbin

My personal opinion is that yours is the closest... my only comments is I’m worried a little about south’s depth. They will miss Davis and Reynolds which I think makes them more a number two but the no doubt number two. They are the only team that I think can beat Harlan County. North is like you said dangerous but unlike south they can’t beat Harlan County and would have to shoot well to beat south. Then I would put clay for now above Williamsburg, and Whitley until they prove they know how to get it done like clay does when it counts. Whitley I think could be as high as number three but I still think back to district last year and think how that shouldn’t have happened. Good luck to all though and we will soon know how good our predictions are.

1. Harlan County
2. South Laurel

3. North Laurel
4. Clay County
5. Whitley
6. Williamsburg

7. Harlan

8. Pineville
9. Corbin
10. Lynn Camp
Well I made it out to see some basketball finally and I may have to change some of my thinking. I watched the two girls games last night at the Legacy Nissan Classic and here are my thoughts for what they are worth...

Harlan County is still VERY good in my mind but not as unbeatable as I thought. They are a top 10 type team in the state in my opinion but some flaws I seen last night could hurt against a couple of the better 13th region teams. They still are by FAR the favorites to win though. I will add that Green may get more points and will be a great college player but for a 13th region high school team Gross is as much of a dominate player. Just does so many great things, and is so physical and runs the floor so hard. Is also the main reason the press works so well. If you do break it gross is anchoring the paint and you still don’t get an easy shot.

I may have underestimated North Laurel. I thought without the big they had NO chance against a Harlan County. I was wrong. North out played them for all but about 6 minutes of the game. The first 3 of the game and the last 3 of the 2nd quarter, but especially the run at the half was a dominate one. I am also surprised they made it this good of a game without shooting well. Horrible shooting night and I don’t remember even 1 I may have to move them up to the bottom of my first tier.

Clay County is what clay county always is. They will never win any fans of the style of play that they cling too but they will win games. Look for them to once again be a tough out in feb/March

Corbin- it will be a long year for my hounds. A loaded district will not help us. I have to say though they do have a team I think will get better by the end of the year. I love grant on this team. If we would have had her with last years team we would have stayed competitive with the top tier.

My top tier is
Harlan County
South Laurel
North Laurel
Harlan County or South.
Nobody else matters....
Disagree after last night
As usual I think you are on top of it Olred. North isn’t beating Harlan Co. in a best of seven, but since it only takes one, in a night when they make a decent percentage—they were 1 of 12 from three last night—then they could pull it off. And a series with South would be almost a tossup.
Now I do think it is Harlan Co.’s to lose, and I couldn’t agree more about the Gross girl, she is one of those kids who is just perfect for high school basketball, she’s their most important player. Green is very talented, but much like Peyton Broughton from our boys team last year, I think her game is more suited to the college style.
North isn't beating either of the top 2. Can't win without anything inside...
New rankings

1A. Harlan co
1B. South Laurel - Really Impressive so far. Could be #1 by themselves at the end of the week
3. Whitley
4. Clay
5. North
6. Pineville
7. Williamsburg
8. Corbin might not have won, but they played a tough sched and are really close
9. Harlan
10. Knox Central - did you see their big win last night? 2-0!!!! Remember you heard it here first, 51st District Champs!
1. Harlan County
2. South Laurel
3. Whitley County
4. Clay County
5. North Laurel
6. Williamsburg
7. Harlan
8. Pineville
9. Knox Central
10. Corbin
Noway Clay County is not the best team
Have you seen South Laurel or Harlan County play? If not, take in the game on WYMT's Mountain Classic on Saturday. It should be a barn burner!!!
DillardC Wrote:Noway Clay County is not the best team

Lady Bears Triump Over Clay County

This was just 2 weeks ago!
That same team South beat and held to 22 points, beat Beechwood while scoring 88.

No I have no clue to the type of team beechwood is bit a 66 point swing in one game is a big difference
Hall from Williamsburg is very underrated. Corbin had had some defections which lower my expectations for them.
1A. South Laurel - I know Harlan Co beat them, but over the long haul - South will be better since Harlan is without their big girl
1B. Harlan County
3. Whitley - won some nice games
4. North - the whipping they gave harlan was impressive
5. Clay - always tough
6. Pineville - best lady lion team maybe ever
7. Knox Central - don't sleep on my Lady Panthers
8. Williamsburg - struggling with bad teams
9. Harlan - missing Brock
10. Jackson County - only because somebody has to go here
ProudPanther Wrote:1A. South Laurel - I know Harlan Co beat them, but over the long haul - South will be better since Harlan is without their big girl
1B. Harlan County
5. Clay - always tough

If you watched the Wymt championship game you would know that Gross only played in the first quarter before her injury and HC still came from behind for an 11 point win. I agree South will get better but do will HC. I think HC is still the favorite by a wide margin. Green is just to good a player and HCs supporting cast can all play. The three girls HC brings off the bench would start at most 13 th region schools. Their jv players would also get significant time at most schools. HC is just to deep. South has a good starting five but no depth. Just my opinion.
ProudPanther Wrote:1A. South Laurel - I know Harlan Co beat them, but over the long haul - South will be better since Harlan is without their big girl
1B. Harlan County
5. Clay - always tough

Pineville had some good teams in the early 1980s. It seemed like they gave Cumberland, the eventual champs, a real tough game in the 84 tourney.
I'm so anxious to see the Pineville team play. I hear they have a really good team this year.

As far as HC is concerned, Kaylea Gross would make ANY team a better team. But she made little difference in that South Laurel game because she only played about half a quarter. HC rotates 9 players and they don't lose a lot in that rotation.

I would definitely prefer that we have Gross, but if we can't, I still believe in this team.
Pineville won district championships in 1979 and 1984 and won in the first round of the regional both times. The 84 team lost 49-48 in the semifinals to Cumberland.
Long way to go to match that.
Pineville should be playing a tougher schedule. They are good enough to make a run but winning 20 games but not playing top teams could hurt during regional tourney time.
HCS Wrote:Pineville won district championships in 1979 and 1984 and won in the first round of the regional both times. The 84 team lost 49-48 in the semifinals to Cumberland.
Long way to go to match that.

There's 2 ways to look at it... how far did the team get in a year. That's based on how good the other teams were in 1979 and 1984.

Back then there were maybe 4 or 5 schools that took girls basketballs seriously in the 13th region. Today i'd say a dozen or so schools are competitive and working hard.

So they might not make it as far this year, but have a better more talented team. I didn't watch those 79 and 84 teams, but i'd imagine they would have a hard time competing in today's 13th Region.
ProudPanther Wrote:There's 2 ways to look at it... how far did the team get in a year. That's based on how good the other teams were in 1979 and 1984.

Back then there were maybe 4 or 5 schools that took girls basketballs seriously in the 13th region. Today i'd say a dozen or so schools are competitive and working hard.

So they might not make it as far this year, but have a better more talented team. I didn't watch those 79 and 84 teams, but i'd imagine they would have a hard time competing in today's 13th Region.

I don't know if we've seen enough evidence to say the current team is that talented. How many top five teams have they beat the last couple of years? I remember some of the Cumberland girls from 1984. I'd say they could compete just fine right now. Two of them had good careers at LMU.
HCS Wrote:I don't know if we've seen enough evidence to say the current team is that talented. How many top five teams have they beat the last couple of years? I remember some of the Cumberland girls from 1984. I'd say they could compete just fine right now. Two of them had good careers at LMU.

I'm not a pineville fan, could care less about their team. Just making an observation that this MAYBE be the best Pineville team ever.... But as always HCS has to show his superior knowledge..... Is it hard always being the smartest person in the room?
In a room by myself now, so not a big deal.
I'm tempted to go with the Broadcast News comeback for that one, but I'll save it for later.

I'm waiting for them to win a game in the regional before I get too crazy about them, but it potentially could be their best team. I guess the All A is the first obstacle. They have their best chance to win that one this year.
Harlan Co
South Laurel
Clay Co
North Laurel
Whitley Co
Pineville
Bell
Harlan
Corbin
Lynn Camp
Middlesboro
Red Bird

Harlan Co is still the favorite. Of course losing Gross is a huge loss. It would hurt any team to lose the #2 player in the region but HC is very deep and still has Green. South is playing well but still doesn’t match HCs depth. Clay is very good when the shoot the ball well but their lack of size is a big deterant. Pineville is better than normal but hasn’t played anyone. Bell and Harlan have some pieces but haven’t put it together yet. The rest of the region is really down.
Harlan Co. South Nortb clay on a given day.