Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin basketball
The official statement from Corbin Independent Schools given by Public Relations Coordinator Hannah Goins was: "The administration of Corbin High School is aware of the video involving a Corbin basketball player which was released last night. After review, this is an internal basketball issue that will be dealt with by the Corbin High School basketball staff. The administration has every confidence that this will be handled in an appropriate manner."

I know the last thread was shut down because of talking about a student athlete, so this won't mention a kid, but the program itself.

I just find the official statement by the Corbin PR coordinator pretty pathetic. Since when was racism a" internal basketball issue"? So the entire Corbin administration, school board, principal, AD, and such, are going to leave this up to the basketball staff?

Here's how the statement reads to me. "We'll leave this up to the basketball coach, and when he allows him to play after a few games suspension it isn't our fault because we left it up to him." If that's the case, Corbin Independent is about to get real famous I'm afraid.
Everybody needs to tread VERY VERY lightly on this topic.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Everybody needs to tread VERY VERY lightly on this topic.
I think treading lightly has caused this to happen in the first place.
There is no doubt that what was said in that video was terrible. It is shameful, wrong, and there is no excuse of that sort of thing. I'm sure that doesn't reflect the individual's personal feelings as much as it is just a kid trying to "be cute" for the camera. Regardless, I cannot state how wrong that it is for him to do that. Words are simply words, but when you are in the person in question's position, you are representing yourself, your family, your school, and community. This community has dealt with this reputation for years and has made great strides to break free from it. This incident is a big step back.

That being said, I think a lot of people on social media are wrong in trying to get scholarships revoked, etc. We are still dealing with a kid and one with a potential bright future. One mistake (a huge one mind you) shouldn't go unforgiven. I do think a formal apology should be made. I do think an internal punishment should be made. I realize that there was a suspension for tonight's game. Hopefully it'll work out
Lots of experience for Corbin with issues like this from years gone by. Some things never change. Played against them 30+ years ago and heard the same stuff. Kids played them a few years ago same stuff. Obviously it hasn't changed.

Not this member of the bball teams first go around with comments like that. Shameful.
So, the administration and basketball staff has acknowledged it for what it was? Interesting to see what actually happens with this. Suspension should have read dismissal. I for one do not think it just goes away.
Corbin Wrote:There is no doubt that what was said in that video was terrible. It is shameful, wrong, and there is no excuse of that sort of thing. I'm sure that doesn't reflect the individual's personal feelings as much as it is just a kid trying to "be cute" for the camera. Regardless, I cannot state how wrong that it is for him to do that. Words are simply words, but when you are in the person in question's position, you are representing yourself, your family, your school, and community. This community has dealt with this reputation for years and has made great strides to break free from it. This incident is a big step back.

That being said, I think a lot of people on social media are wrong in trying to get scholarships revoked, etc. We are still dealing with a kid and one with a potential bright future. One mistake (a huge one mind you) shouldn't go unforgiven. I do think a formal apology should be made. I do think an internal punishment should be made. I realize that there was a suspension for tonight's game. Hopefully it'll work out

I agree with what most of your post, but the way Corbin is handling this blows my mind. Like you said, there's always been this reputation with Corbin. So why not really do the kid a favor and come out and say that it's never going to be condoned at Corbin Independent, and that he's been removed from the team? For one it makes the school look like it really isn't going to tolerate this. Secondly, the kid can move on quick and in my opinion is the only chance he'd have of getting to stay on scholarship.

But from the outside looking in, it looks like they're more worried about winning games, and could care less about the perception of their school.
No one is hoping that it doesn't work out for the kid, but this could be a watershed moment for Corbin athletics.

This stuff has been going on for far too long. The only difference is that now everyone has a camera-phone.
If I am Knox administration this young adult would not be allowed back in my gym, or on my campus. PERIOD
So many angles to look at this from.

First of all, just a RIDICOLOUS move on his part. I definitely wouldn't still be friends with whoever took the video and decided to share it.

Secondly, he has already sit out the game against Lincoln, and I'm not sure how many more they will suspend him for, however, every second counts as far as the record books are concerned. He's over 3000 points and had a shot too get all the way up to number 2 behind the king at one point. So that's a big hit.

Secondly, stupid statement or not, he's still a kid. Too say things like this hasn't been said during athletic competetion by not only Corbin but nearly every school in EKY is idiotic and naive. Knox county has had their fair share of bad spots when it comes to racial sensitivity, which don't get me wrong, doesn't make this particular instance right.

Last, you have grown rejects tagging the school this kid signed with and calling them hoping to ruin his future. Quite frankly I don't care if the kid succeeds or not. I don't know him or Anything about him, but these same people doing this I GUARANTEE you have made similar comments on more than one occasion.

Curious as to what will be Corbins next move. Sorry Knox fans, but he won't get the boot. You'll see him again if you get there.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:So many angles to look at this from.

First of all, just a RIDICOLOUS move on his part. I definitely wouldn't still be friends with whoever took the video and decided to share it.

Secondly, he has already sit out the game against Lincoln, and I'm not sure how many more they will suspend him for, however, every second counts as far as the record books are concerned. He's over 3000 points and had a shot too get all the way up to number 2 behind the king at one point. So that's a big hit.

Secondly, stupid statement or not, he's still a kid. Too say things like this hasn't been said during athletic competetion by not only Corbin but nearly every school in EKY is idiotic and naive. Knox county has had their fair share of bad spots when it comes to racial sensitivity, which don't get me wrong, doesn't make this particular instance right.

Last, you have grown rejects tagging the school this kid signed with and calling them hoping to ruin his future. Quite frankly I don't care if the kid succeeds or not. I don't know him or Anything about him, but these same people doing this I GUARANTEE you have made similar comments on more than one occasion.

Curious as to what will be Corbins next move. Sorry Knox fans, but he won't get the boot. You'll see him again if you get there.

I can not believe a grown adult is trying to defend this. Your second statement, he is being punished by not getting to extend his scoring. Then your second , second statement he is a kid, and everyone else does it, is PATHETIC. This was not during the heat of the moment, emotional game time rant. This attitude is why it continues. Maybe we don't allow him in our gym or on our campus is a good move. (If we get there?) . Athletics is not the most important lesson, Corbin. On the other hand, I expected nothing more from Corbin Administration, BB staff and their fans that have weighed in on the subject. Those that are silent at least have not lost what some on here have.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:So many angles to look at this from.

I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, I have read this several times and for the life of me can not come up with one reason to believe that you are not trying to make excuses for this behavior in the name of athletics. Understand one thing and this is the truth, his future is not in athletics. His future is in his EDUCATION. Athletics is a privilege that a 19 year old adult can lose.
I hate this happened but it is what it is. The city of Corbin has long been known for its racist views which gives them the black eye. They r known for this not only in eastern Ky but across the state. I just hope the kids can heal and possibly learn a valuable lesson from this.
I can not help to think that they have a responsibility to changing it and refuse to do so, in the name of their athletic team.
NextGeneration Wrote:I can not help to think that they have a responsibility to changing it and refuse to do so, in the name of their athletic team.

Never count on Corbin to do the right thing. Whether it’s the community leadership or Corbin Ind schools, expect them to cover and hope the story blows over.
I hope the KHSAA gets involved, but I’m not holding my breath for that to happen. I guess they’re still wringing their hands over Cordia
Corbin gave him 3 game suspension and apologize. The apology on his Facebook page does not seem to be an apology. Never owned up to it. Said his words was falsely circulating and taken out of context. Imo he been a lot better off just saying after 2 very heated games which words was exchanged on both sides and even punches thrown in first game I said something that should never been said and I apologize to everybody that it hurt. I been in those types games many times and glad social media wasn’t around then. I hope this works out for everybody involved.
Corbin Wrote:There is no doubt that what was said in that video was terrible. It is shameful, wrong, and there is no excuse of that sort of thing. I'm sure that doesn't reflect the individual's personal feelings as much as it is just a kid trying to "be cute" for the camera. Regardless, I cannot state how wrong that it is for him to do that. Words are simply words, but when you are in the person in question's position, you are representing yourself, your family, your school, and community. This community has dealt with this reputation for years and has made great strides to break free from it. This incident is a big step back.

I completely agree with everything you said. kids do and say stupid things sometimes and sometimes have to learn the hard way and it shouldn't go unpunished,but it's not my place or anybody else's to try to get a scholarship revoked.
The only person that can get his offer pulled is him. It is called responsibility for actions. This is about the response of the School system, what is your take?
NextGeneration Wrote:The only person that can get his offer pulled is him. It is called responsibility for actions. This is about the response of the School system, what is your take?

What he said^^^

You seriously can't blame the parent of a black kid that was talked to like this for exposing the accused to his future coaches. Whether it be out of fury or responsibility, I definitely don't blame her at all. Anyone that's been around the 13th the past 4-5 years can tell you that this is nowhere near his first issue with this.

But to be honest, there's 0% chance they let him keep that scholarship. No coaching staff is risking their career over a single recruit. There's too many good players out there to have to take this gamble. Maybe they give that same scholarship to the victim. Ultimate karma I guess. But I'm guessing the accused will be considered untouchable even by the smallest division schools.
NextGeneration Wrote:The only person that can get his offer pulled is him. It is called responsibility for actions. This is about the response of the School system, what is your take?

I was referring to all the people contacting a university. I don't think it;s right, and already said it shouldn't go unpunished. I don't really expect the school do much else though. Do you? it's a sad situation.
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:What he said^^^

You seriously can't blame the parent of a black kid that was talked to like this for exposing the accused to his future coaches. Whether it be out of fury or responsibility, I definitely don't blame her at all. Anyone that's been around the 13th the past 4-5 years can tell you that this is nowhere near his first issue with this.

But to be honest, there's 0% chance they let him keep that scholarship. No coaching staff is risking their career over a single recruit. There's too many good players out there to have to take this gamble. Maybe they give that same scholarship to the victim. Ultimate karma I guess. But I'm guessing the accused will be considered untouchable even by the smallest division schools.

Check your PM
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:I can't buy the "he's a kid" excuse. Andrew should know that once you're recorded saying something offensive, it tends to linger on social media for a long time.

As for suspensions, Corbin may go light on him (and probably will), but the KHSAA will likely investigate the comments. It would not surprise me the least if the KHSAA imposes additional penalties on Taylor.

The KHSAA can't do anything about the comments. They happened privately away from competetion. The only thing they could investigate is on the court instances.
PRIDE101 Wrote:I can not believe a grown adult is trying to defend this. Your second statement, he is being punished by not getting to extend his scoring. Then your second , second statement he is a kid, and everyone else does it, is PATHETIC. This was not during the heat of the moment, emotional game time rant. This attitude is why it continues. Maybe we don't allow him in our gym or on our campus is a good move. (If we get there?) . Athletics is not the most important lesson, Corbin. On the other hand, I expected nothing more from Corbin Administration, BB staff and their fans that have weighed in on the subject. Those that are silent at least have not lost what some on here have.

Reread my post. Or get someone to do it for you.
I in no way defended the kid. Don't even know him. Could care less what happens to him. And he is just a kid. It's the same reason we don't let them vote or drink. They re all dumb.

It seems Knox fans are mad their agenda didn't get fulfilled. I wonder how easy it'd be to find a confederate flag on one of these facebook account that is trying to get his scholly pulled?

The hypocrisy is amazing.
It any be a good thing if his scholly gets yanked.
He may be able to go somewhere better than furman Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Reread my post. Or get someone to do it for you.
I in no way defended the kid. Don't even know him. Could care less what happens to him. And he is just a kid. It's the same reason we don't let them vote or drink. They re all dumb.

It seems Knox fans are mad their agenda didn't get fulfilled. I wonder how easy it'd be to find a confederate flag on one of these facebook account that is trying to get his scholly pulled?

You're exactly right on the hypocrisy.

I thought a 18-19 year old could vote and go to the military?
I would say something but i’m on bgr probations. :truestory:
64SUR Wrote:I would say something but i’m on bgr probations. :truestory:

chicken Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:chicken Confusednicker:

Did you just call me a chicken pjdoug. TongueoliceLig: Mod Alert TongueoliceLig Pjdoug call me a chicken Mod Alert :Cheerlead

He's 19 year old. And the excuse that everyone else has done it so its ok that he done it might possibly be the weakest pathetic thing I've seen about this. Also shows why the racial issues we are living with today are so prevalent.