Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 2018
Thoughts and predictions?
Hopefully the Devils can bounce back from their 5-6 season a year ago.
What do they return?
Conley and Duvall return as the leading rushers. Galloway returns as the leading receiver. But the losses of Church, Brinkman, and Bates along with a couple of offensive and defensive line starters will need to be addressed. Wilburn got reps under center last season and looks to be the starter but line play and overall defense will have to step up. Russell will be ok but will challenged in most games on their schedule. Road games at Greenup, Ashland, and Raceland (all home losses in 2017) will be challenging along with an early home game with Ironton. Fleming Co will take a big step back in 2018 but West Carter and Bath Co look to take steps forward. The final district game of the season will be at Bath County and could be for the district title.

2019 looks to be the season they start to rise a bit in my opinion but they also will add Ashland and Greenup to their district then.
Russell has to find a way to achieve some offensive balance and physical play on both sides of the LOS. DEVILS ARE SOFT! Greenup Ashland Raceland and Ironton will all be bad losses if they continue to be SOFT! Russell needs a more conventional scheme. You can think what you want of me but you know I am right! I don’t look for anything to change though Maynard is too bull headed and stubborn to admit his shortcomings, his solution is to blame seniors and cut kids(which he openly did last year on the post game!).Russell is 5-5 maybe 6-5 at best next year. Once Ashland and Greenup drop down unless changes are made Russell will never win that district! MARK MY WORDS IN MARCH! If Russell has another losing season and fails to win this sorry soft weak district again someone over there on Red Devil Hill needs to take a hard look in the mirror!! The current state of our proud beloved tradition at Russell is an embarrassment to all us who helped make people fear coming to Flatwoods on Friday nights!
Speedster Landon Duvall is the top returner for Russell in this transition year. Do they go more with the seniors like Duvall and Wilburn at QB or do they start turning things over to what is a very talented sophomore backfield of Nathan Conley, younger brother of Nick, Ethan Sharp, and QB Charlie Jachimczuk? Junior Malakai Anderson is another player who will be expected to contribute on both sides of the ball. Russell should still win their district as it is very weak, but I've thought that the past few seasons and they've had some unexpected losses and made things more difficult than they should have been. Greenup, Ashland, and Raceland will all be losses this season. Russell is one year away from returning to the Russell of old.
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:Russell has to find a way to achieve some offensive balance and physical play on both sides of the LOS. DEVILS ARE SOFT! Greenup Ashland Raceland and Ironton will all be bad losses if they continue to be SOFT! Russell needs a more conventional scheme. You can think what you want of me but you know I am right! I don’t look for anything to change though Maynard is too bull headed and stubborn to admit his shortcomings, his solution is to blame seniors and cut kids(which he openly did last year on the post game!).Russell is 5-5 maybe 6-5 at best next year. Once Ashland and Greenup drop down unless changes are made Russell will never win that district! MARK MY WORDS IN MARCH! If Russell has another losing season and fails to win this sorry soft weak district again someone over there on Red Devil Hill needs to take a hard look in the mirror!! The current state of our proud beloved tradition at Russell is an embarrassment to all us who helped make people fear coming to Flatwoods on Friday nights!

Scheme is about as conventional as it gets. They run iso, stretch, counter, and trap about 80% of the time..
from the outside looking in, im blown away at the statements of "russell needs to be more conventional" or "we are throwing the ball too much", with that said, Thinblueline, did say they needed more balanced offensive strategy. but, ive heard it, not just on here. but elsewhere. but many of the same people that are calling for more conventional or run first play calling, are the samw ones that were saying Ivan needed to progress with the times. Ivan wasmt changing for anyone. TJ is cut from his cloth. sometimes its just a rough patch. Russell has some really nice atheletes coming up that, imo, are going to flurish in the system. and with the new alignment, i think russell will do the same.
DarthVader Wrote:Scheme is about as conventional as it gets. They run iso, stretch, counter, and trap about 80% of the time..

not much has changed with the play calling or the scheme itself. its just out of the apread and not from under center.
Scotty your talking about a very tough fan base to please.In the Rams third game with Russell....second one at Raceland... toward the end of the game I watched a Russell fan come out of the stands and walk down the track.Walked up behind Ivan and scream .... I think it’s time for a new coach!! Three years removed from the state championship game.Plus they thought they got something when TJ came home!! They are finding out differently!! Hahahah
I can't wait until the new alignment in 2019. I get tired of reading all the Red Devil fans post about their "sorry, weak district". I got news for you, I think Bath County is the favorite to win it this year. I hope when they get in the new district, Ashland and Greenup dominate them the next four years!
Keep dreaming it’s not gonna happen but you’re right it will tougher than the one they are in now.
DarthVader Wrote:Scheme is about as conventional as it gets. They run iso, stretch, counter, and trap about 80% of the time..

Russell scheme is not conventional. You cannot run the football successfully without tight ends! 5 can’t block 8! Why play two safeties against Russell, they couldn’t complete a pass to save their lives. I consider comvential as tight ends, fullbacks, and going under center.
thecoacher Wrote:I can't wait until the new alignment in 2019. I get tired of reading all the Red Devil fans post about their "sorry, weak district". I got news for you, I think Bath County is the favorite to win it this year. I hope when they get in the new district, Ashland and Greenup dominate them the next four years!

Listen buddy layoff the gin and juice it’s corrupting your judgement. Bath has made vast improvements, but Bath isn’t good enough to DOMINATE Ashland or Russell for that matter. In order for Bath to go next level they must actually beat a Russell or Ashland and then get wins in the playoffs. The improvement is that it’s at least plausible that Bath could beat Russell and maybe win a playoff game, but they still have yet to do it.
nekysportsfan Wrote:Speedster Landon Duvall is the top returner for Russell in this transition year. Do they go more with the seniors like Duvall and Wilburn at QB or do they start turning things over to what is a very talented sophomore backfield of Nathan Conley, younger brother of Nick, Ethan Sharp, and QB Charlie Jachimczuk? Junior Malakai Anderson is another player who will be expected to contribute on both sides of the ball. Russell should still win their district as it is very weak, but I've thought that the past few seasons and they've had some unexpected losses and made things more difficult than they should have been. Greenup, Ashland, and Raceland will all be losses this season. Russell is one year away from returning to the Russell of old.

My friend for us to return to the Russell of old that’s to say we could beat Belfry. For one to say we could compete and defeat the Pirates at this point is complete blasephmy! I just don’t wanna see more talent go to waste due to a defective scheme. Russell has talent coming so if they do not succeed there will be no other excuse but the current regime and I will be to remind everyone of it!
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:Listen buddy layoff the gin and juice it’s corrupting your judgement. Bath has made vast improvements, but Bath isn’t good enough to DOMINATE Ashland or Russell for that matter. In order for Bath to go next level they must actually beat a Russell or Ashland and then get wins in the playoffs. The improvement is that it’s at least plausible that Bath could beat Russell and maybe win a playoff game, but they still have yet to do it.

I didn't say that Bath County would dominate or even beat Ashland. I said they would be the favorites in the district this year.
I did say I hope Ashland and Greenup dominate Russell when they get in their new district in '19.
thecoacher Wrote:I didn't say that Bath County would dominate or even beat Ashland. I said they would be the favorites in the district this year.
I did say I hope Ashland and Greenup dominate Russell when they get in their new district in '19.

I look for Russell to good this season. They will compete each year. West Carter and Pendleton, yes I said Pendleton, will also be solid in the district this season. I would say Russell is the favorite until someone can prove otherwise.
Russell has some younger skill guys that are very good there o line at the younger level is a ? Mark I wish them the best this year but may be tough season again is burg coming to Russell this year for scrimmage again?
Wheelersburg comes to Russell on August 17th at 7:30 pm for Russell's second scrimmage. Russell will see what they need to work on against Wheelersburg.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Wheelersburg comes to Russell on August 17th at 7:30 pm for Russell's second scrimmage. Russell will see what they need to work on against Wheelersburg.

"Everything probably"
In Russell's defense the burg would make a lot of teams look like they have a lot to work on atleast them team the burg has this year
No offense to Russell but the Wheelersburg scrimmage will likely be a game that will show Wheelersburg what they need to work on more than it will for Russell. Wheelersburg is just on a whole other level and I’m not really sure what good can can me from playing a team that will most likely overwhelm you. This also applies to all of the other teams on our side of the river.
scardy cats
Orange Blaze Wrote:No offense to Russell but the Wheelersburg scrimmage will likely be a game that will show Wheelersburg what they need to work on more than it will for Russell. Wheelersburg is just on a whole other level and I’m not really sure what good can can me from playing a team that will most likely overwhelm you. This also applies to all of the other teams on our side of the river.

Wheelersburg is physical and uses Tight Ends and a Fullback! Russell will be lucky to get an actual look at themselves for fear of the BURG being in the backfield every single play! Russell has the kids to make life difficult and frustrating for the Burg but not with the current regime running the show! Russell needs to use these scrimmages to develop an offensive identity. The kids need to challenge one and other on defense, Boys we may not win but the Burg will at least know they were in fight! This is where the attitude, intensity, and swagger of old can be reborn!
The most important thing for the Devils is to be physical! If the devils develop the kicking ass and taking names attitude of old winning will take care of itself! Maybe once again teams will fear coming to Flatwoods on Friday Nights!
My poor Devils need a lot of help.
Devils need some of those candy holler boys on the team.
Russell looked AWFUL tonight against a not very good Rowan team..
Honestly in my opinion they look as bad as they did last season..
Russell will get killed by Greenup if they play anything like they did tonight..Very disappointing 😕
I could say a lot of negative things about Russell’s team this year after seeing last night’s scrimmage, but I have a feeling ThinBlueLine411 will cover the situation quite well.
Sounds like Russell could be in for a long season if they can’t get things turned around.