•  Previous
  • 9(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg coaching search
After watching Powell County for the last few seasons, the talent that they have produced compared to the games that they have won says that they have overachieved. Now, their district has been weak as water the past couple of seasons, but historically, Powell is a gutter team. Brewer AND Tony Burchett resurrected the program. Those two combined have had the best teams to ever play in school history. If Brewer gets Burchett to tag along as an assistant, then this Prestonsburg team will flourish on the offensive side of the football. Kids (offensive linemen particularly) should jump at the chance of getting coached by these two men. Some of the best offensive line minds in the eastern part of the state. Check Powell's rushing totals since 2009. Numbers don't lie.
As to athletes returning to Prestonsburg, That would be nice, but highly doubtful. Anyone can see this will most likely be a multi year rebuilding process. You don't lose most of the best athletes from several classes in a row and then just get over it in one season.

I wouldn't expect an overnight turnaround.
This is solid hire by Prestonsburg and a good move by Brewer. It seems like a good match.

On the coach's end .....

1. Brewer can coach. What he has done with Powell County the past three seasons is pretty impressive.

2. The kids love this guy. The trend of players leaving to play other places will slow considerably once people get to know him.

3. He has a solid football and coaching philosophy, but is always looking to improve and evolve.

4. He will bring in a good staff of assistants and allow them to coach.

On the school's end.....

1. Prestonsburg is a better job than Powell.

2. Prestonsburg seems to care about football and will give the necessary support to build a program.

3. Overall, Prestonsburg will have more talent year in and year out than Powell.

4. Prestonsburg moves into a more favorable district and region during the next realignment.

Overall, its a good match. Now, the Blackcats just have to win.
cat86 Wrote:As to athletes returning to Prestonsburg, That would be nice, but highly doubtful. Anyone can see this will most likely be a multi year rebuilding process. You don't lose most of the best athletes from several classes in a row and then just get over it in one season.

I wouldn't expect an overnight turnaround.

It will take several seasons to get those athletes coming back. I knew several of those whos kids went north to another county.. They felt pretty strongly about not playing for the cats at the time. Hopefully that will change sooner than later
Blacksmith Wrote:It will take several seasons to get those athletes coming back. I knew several of those whos kids went north to another county.. They felt pretty strongly about not playing for the cats at the time. Hopefully that will change sooner than later

Exactly. And I don't know if hoping any of those student/athletes will return is realistic. All I know of have acclimated very well to their new schools and would not think of returning. So, let's assume for now that none of them return.

Best case scenario would be a 4-5 year rebuild process. While this sounds bad (and it kinda is), it would give Brewer time to shape the middle school programs at his feeder schools to suit his future program goals (something he is very strong at, I have been told). Best case scenario is not losing any more 7-8th graders to other counties, then having a strong foundation to build on over the next 3-4 years.

I do know Tony Burchett gives Brewer ALL the credit for turning around Powell County, and that means alot coming from him.

It won't be quick. It won't be easy. It may not be pretty initially. But I think within 5 years, Prestonsburg will be back to competing for Regional Championships and beyond.
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)