•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg coaching search
That being said....

Coach Brandon Brewer has accepted the head football coaching position at Prestonsburg High School.

Very impressive young coach, with impressive credentials and impeccable recommendations.

Also...Tony “Bug” Burchett will be assisting. Welcome Coach Burchett BACK to the Blackcats.
Congratulations Blackcat faithful on the new hire! From what I’ve read, Brewer has a .555 winning % and DeRossett had a .616% Dont understand that :insane: butttttttt.. Goodluck to the new coach! :Cheerlead:Thumbs:
MountainBall44 Wrote:Congratulations Blackcat faithful on the new hire! From what I’ve read, Brewer has a .555 winning % and DeRossett had a .616% Dont understand that :insane: butttttttt.. Goodluck to the new coach! :Cheerlead:Thumbs:

And Bill Letton/Coach Haywood both had a 0.00 winning percentage when hired here....so what’s your point?
My point is why did they hire a coach with a worse record than the previous coach. Not bad mouthing Brewer I hope he does well. Just calling it how it is
so By your logic, neither Haywood nor Letton should have ever been hired here?
Based on your logic, If you were going to hire a coach with no experience like Haywood was hired.. why wouldn’t you take a chance on a young coach and alumni like Jarred Jarrell. Instead of hiring somebody with a worse record than the guy before. JMO
You cannot simply look at someone's record and determine if they are a good hire or not. You have to look at results and most people taking over a non-existent program, are going to have a losing record. I think what caught the attention though was the improvement shown over the last two years. Powell County went from competing for their district to winning it. They also went from being blown out by Casey County to beating them and making a regional final. Only time will tell if this is a good hire but he was trending in the right direction with Powell County and with Prestonsburg's district, plus the money being brought back to the program by one of the richest families in the state... he has room to grow and learn while still producing results.
Nope. My logic is based on a knowledge of reasons why this job came open to begin with. Yours is simply based on a number.

Rumors and innuendo aside, this probable fact remains: not too long ago, players transferred into this school to play football. Now and for awhile now, they have transferred out. Once you understand that, you see why a fresh start was more important than comparing winning percentages.
B-ball fan^^So you can’t look at someone’s record? You have to look at their results? Isn’t a coaches record a result of games. Why would the Kinzer’s put money pack into Prestonsburgs program when their family members are in Paintsville..
cat86 Wrote:Nope. My logic is based on a knowledge of reasons why this job came open to begin with. Yours is simply based on a number.

Rumors and innuendo aside, this probable fact remains: not too long ago, players transferred into this school to play football. Now and for awhile now, they have transferred out. Once you understand that, you see why a fresh start was more important than comparing winning percentages.

And unless you understand that being mediocre (hiring a .555 coach) is the reason players are transferring out then you will continue to be mediocre.
You guys keep talking about how winning doesn’t matter and it’s about building the program back up.

Why not get a young alumni like Jarrell to be the coach? Couldn’t he take the beatings just like Brewer?
That’s all I’m saying.
Good Luck to Coach Brewer. He's gonna find out that football is a little more competitive in the mountains than what was transpiring in Powell's District. That being said....here's hoping P-Burg gets things turned around.

We'll re-evaluate this hire three years from now.
He very could, and I never said winning did not matter... I said record did not matter. Of course you are not going to hire someone who has never won a game but someone who has shown improvements from one season to the next, which he has, shows promise. Brewer's record has gotten better with each year and Powell County has gone deeper into the playoffs each year. They had probably hit their ceiling with the 3A power houses though. I think this is a good move for a program that needs a change more than anything else. Jared could very well have been a great coach but he was a product of the previous coaching staff which I believe Prestonsburg just wants to distance itself from.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Good Luck to Coach Brewer. He's gonna find out that football is a little more competitive in the mountains than what was transpiring in Powell's District. That being said....here's hoping P-Burg gets things turned around.

We'll re-evaluate this hire three years from now.

He will need at least 6 years to re-evaluate. He has a tough way to go.
Again, goodluck to him!
Because previous coach had a lot more talent to work with than Brewer has had in Powell.
Congrats Coach Brewer. Powell losing 2/3 big sports coaches within a year.
Congrats.

I’m still in the group that says John D should have never been fired.
Real Badman Wrote:Congrats.

I’m still in the group that says John D should have never been fired.

I'm sure the Pikeville, Johnson Central, and Paintsville people agree. He was the best recruiter for those schools.
bball_fan Wrote:He very could, and I never said winning did not matter... I said record did not matter. Of course you are not going to hire someone who has never won a game but someone who has shown improvements from one season to the next, which he has, shows promise. Brewer's record has gotten better with each year and Powell County has gone deeper into the playoffs each year. They had probably hit their ceiling with the 3A power houses though. I think this is a good move for a program that needs a change more than anything else. Jared could very well have been a great coach but he was a product of the previous coaching staff which I believe Prestonsburg just wants to distance itself from.

Coach Brewer will do at P’burg what he did at Powell and that’s win the games that P’burg should win and try and compete to the end and have a shot in the rest. The difference is the fan base accepting that there are games they are not supposed to win that they may have In the past. If they give him time to build the high school and middle school programs and numbers he will post winning records. If they expect to beat their neighbors mentioned on here, have double digits wins, and deep playoff runs yearly immediately then there will trouble in paradise....
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Coach Brewer will do at P’burg what he did at Powell and that’s win the games that P’burg should win and try and compete to the end and have a shot in the rest. The difference is the fan base accepting that there are games they are not supposed to win that they may have In the past. If they give him time to build the high school and middle school programs and numbers he will post winning records. If they expect to beat their neighbors mentioned on here, have double digits wins, and deep playoff runs yearly immediately then there will trouble in paradise....

I am of the impression he will be given time to build his program his way. Everyone understands the circumstances he is faced with. Keeping athletes home will be the first big step towards success.
VERY mediocre hire
AngryMob Wrote:VERY mediocre hire

Mediocre program. Brewer is good so your post was uneducated.
KYHSFB Wrote:Mediocre program. Brewer is good so your post was uneducated.

Have to somewhat question why he would a program this year that has a potential to have a really really good season in 2018, for a program that is having trouble getting players to play. Why not wait till after 2018 season for a better job to open.
I have nothing in this except for the respect I have had for Pburg football over the years. Let the man have a chance instead of coming down on him before he strats. I will be hoping for him and anyone else they hired to bring them back unto the once great programs they where in the years. Personally I like John also,but times have changed and with the players going else where it might be time for the change
I think it's a good hire. Pburg isnt the name it used to be, and they're gonna struggle to get an established coach. They had to hire an up and comer. I think they made a great hire. Brewer is a good coach who can obviously get the most out of the talent he has.
plantmanky Wrote:Have to somewhat question why he would a program this year that has a potential to have a really really good season in 2018, for a program that is having trouble getting players to play. Why not wait till after 2018 season for a better job to open.

Prestonsburg has potential to be a solid job. They seem willing to and to make things right. Next year he may not get offered a job, you never know. Powell has a significant drop in talent coming up. Might as well strike while the iron is hot.
I agree that you should give him time before you just dismiss him. He is coming into a rough situation where loyalties are obviously split between those that wanted to keep Coach DeRossett and those that wanted change. Give him time to prove his worth. From all accounts, he is a great guy and great with kids. Let him prove his ability before you dismiss him over where he has been.
On a side note, will he be able to bring assistants with him? What assistants will want to stay on that were at Prestonsburg last year?
thecoacher Wrote:I agree that you should give him time before you just dismiss him. He is coming into a rough situation where loyalties are obviously split between those that wanted to keep Coach DeRossett and those that wanted change. Give him time to prove his worth. From all accounts, he is a great guy and great with kids. Let him prove his ability before you dismiss him over where he has been.
On a side note, will he be able to bring assistants with him? What assistants will want to stay on that were at Prestonsburg last year?

Prestonsburg Alumni and former Blackcat OL coach Tony Burchett was on hand today for the official meet and greet between Coach Brewer and the players. Details being worked out to bring Tony back into the Blackcat fold. But not sure abt any other assistants as of yet.
KYHSFB Wrote:Prestonsburg has potential to be a solid job. They seem willing to and to make things right. Next year he may not get offered a job, you never know. Powell has a significant drop in talent coming up. Might as well strike while the iron is hot.

You said it.

Better to leave a year too early than a year too late.

Potentially good years at most programs in KY can be drasitically altered just by an injury or two. Prestonsburg is a better job in the long run. Considering he was already in “the area”; it’s a no brainer IMO.
Will any kids return now that there is a fresh start?
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next