Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's way past time to abolish Constables & Jailers
Kentucky is the ONLY state that still has an elected Jailer..... THE ONLY STATE.

Kentucky has 120 counties. 41 of those counties have elected Jailers that do not have a Jail they are responsible for. The other 79 counties have Jailers that do control a jail or they have some type of "administrative" position at their local/regional jail, but are not in 100% control of the facility. They may set on a Jail board or something to that effect. Of the Jailers that are in control of a jail, said jails could be operated by an Administrator rather than a Jailer. Jail administrators do not have the law enforcement authorities that Jailers do.

Jailers without Jails
http://kycir.org/2015/01/02/only-in-kent...out-jails/

State legislator wants to eliminate jailers in counties with no jail
http://www.wlky.com/article/state-legisl...il/3754894

Duties of Jailers
http://www.kyjailers.com/legislation-res...ailer.aspx

Constables
http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/crime...30267.html

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Const...80311.html
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Agree!!
I am 130% behind law enforcement. You will never hear me support any type of funding or staffing cuts for law enforcement.

ALL aspects of the Criminal Justice system have to be professionals.
Policing agencies, Prison systems, the Court systems and everything in between need to be professionally trained to be effective.

Elected Jailers & Constables have the same law enforcement powers as professionally trained staff members at the state police academy and other LEO's that are trained at the academy DOCJT @ EKU. THAT IS SCARY!!!!! I know that there is corruption in law enforcement on most levels. The bigger departments have some type of Office Internal Affairs (OIA) that investigate misconduct claims against staff in their department. Kentucky has an OIG, Office of the Inspector General, that investigate crimes involving state agencies. Between the FBI. state OIG, local OIA offices and the KY. Attorney General, most serious claims of misconduct are investigated. Most of them are bogus, some are legit and are handled as needed.

Jailers & Constables are in no way exempt from being investigated and would be subject criminal charges if needed. With that said, most constables & jailers in Kentucky get elected because they have a large population of family & friends in their election district. No background check, no interview process, no law enforcement experience.... just whoever got the most votes. If a police officer is the subject of an investigation, they can be suspended with or without pay until the investigation is completed. In theory, Jailers & constables could be suspended, but that would have to come through an order through their local fiscal court.
Thanks for the links. Interesting to read about, and I agree with you 100%
I agree too Pulp!!
Bob Seger Wrote:Agree!!

Motley Wrote:Thanks for the links. Interesting to read about, and I agree with you 100%

Granny Bear Wrote:I agree too Pulp!!

If more people across the Commonwealth knew the facts about these two positions, I can see enough support to abolish these spots.

I don't know about the other 119 counties, but Johnson County has three constables and one jailer. I have first-hand experience & knowledge on this topic. In 2008, I was a deputy that worked inmate transportation & court security. The jailer at the time would show up, "work" the court room then leave. Never once saw him transport inmates over from the jail (which is right beside the courthouse). Never saw any of the three constables to transport inmates from the jail either. I understand

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/chapter.aspx?id=37403

The Sheriffs office has five responsibilities under the KRS ch. 70.
- Collect taxes.
- Transport inmates.
- Serve court papers/warrants.
- Bailiff the District, Family, Circuit & Fiscal courts.
- Law Enforcement.

Kentucky will be better off without Jailers & Constables.
I can't access certain websites where I'm at now, but according to East Kentucky Broadcasting news, a Tennessee constable pled guilty in Pike County, KY. for a conspiracy to distribute prescription drugs.

Said constable resigned earlier this year after being indicted on said charges.

People get arrested for crimes everyday, but when somebody involved with law enforcement gets arrested or indicted, it becomes a major story.
It's a major story because people are supposed to be able to trust those in law enforcement. Which only bolsters your argument!

How many "constables" do you know that will get elected and throw a light on top of a grocery getter, then act arrogant and throw their weight around. Too many, I'm afraid.
Let’s pretend that not everyone knows what the stated duties of a constable or a jailer are......
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/lrcpubs/ib114.pdf

Jailer; pages 123-131 on the adobe page count, not the pages as numbered on the document.

Constables; pages 141-144 on the adobe page county, not the pages as numbered on the document.

As I've mentioned in other posts on this thread, Kentucky will be just fine without Jailers & Constables.

12 State law enforcement agencies.
200+ City police departments.
120 Sheriff's offices.
10 College/University police departments.
8 Airport/Transit/Railroad police departments.

Constables or Jailers will NEVER handle any type of murder/death investigation.
Constables or Jailers will NEVER handle any type of robbery/burglary investigation.
Constables or Jailers will NEVER handle any type of assault/sexual assault investigation.
Constables or Jailers will NEVER handle any type of kidnapping/abduction investigation.
Constables or Jailers will NEVER handle any type of major drug trafficking/drug conspiracy investigation.

All of these major crimes and just about every other type of crime will be handled by the state police, sheriff's office or city police department.
Most bigger counties & cities have the resources to handle multiple major cases at once. Other counties & cities have the same type of resources, but may not have the personnel to conduct multiple investigations at once. Those cities & counties will usually pass the investigative aspect of the case on to the state police. Not because these agencies are not competent to conduct said investigations, but it's not a good tactical decision to tie up all your resources in one case. Jailers & Constables have little to no resources of their own.
Elected>Appointed.
4_real Wrote:Elected>Appointed.

^^ Funny thing. You understand the concept that the people who're appointed (or hired) by elected officials to work for them, are to be subordinate to those officials. But in expanding that concept to the national level, you're nonetheless still rooting for the lawless and rogue unelected deepstaters whom are evidently working to impeach President Trump.

Anybody of similar sentiment is in reality, hoping for the fall of this nation. When "appointees" such as Clapper, Brennan, Rosenstein, Comey, McCabe, Orr, Strzok and all the rest of the last administration hold-overs actively engaged in the 'resistance,' can get by with such mindless shenanigans, their power has become greater than the people and the elected officials they serve. In such a situation little tinhorn constables can abuse those they're sworn to serve, just as FBI, DOJ and maybe even CIA officials could abuse the power granted to them by those they are sworn to serve. :pondering:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Couldn't agree more.

It only sets us up for easy corruption.
As you said, most counties elect someone to collect a check pretty much.

It's an outdated and ridiculous concept.
TheRealThing Wrote:^^ Funny thing. You understand the concept that the people who're appointed (or hired) by elected officials to work for them, are to be subordinate to those officials. But in expanding that concept to the national level, you're nonetheless still rooting for the lawless and rogue unelected deepstaters whom are evidently working to impeach President Trump.

Anybody of similar sentiment is in reality, hoping for the fall of this nation. When "appointees" such as Clapper, Brennan, Rosenstein, Comey, McCabe, Orr, Strzok and all the rest of the last administration hold-overs actively engaged in the 'resistance,' can get by with such mindless shenanigans, their power has become greater than the people and the elected officials they serve. In such a situation little tinhorn constables can abuse those they're sworn to serve, just as FBI, DOJ and maybe even CIA officials could abuse the power granted to them by those they are sworn to serve. :pondering:

Brainwashed.
4_real Wrote:Brainwashed.

At least I can define my own thoughts. What's the talking point of the day there get real?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]