Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estill County 2019
Can Estill keep up their dominance in the region again next year or will a new champion emerge? Estill lost a ton but return a lot of very good/key players including Kaylee Riddle, Estill's heavy hitter.

I've heard through the grapevine that Estill is hosting both Rowan and Harrison in a triangle. Estill should also be hosting South Laurel last Friday of regular season
Seen on KHSAA that Estill county picked up a road game @ Frederick Douglass for May 1st
3/29/19 @ Tates Creek 6:30 PM
5/1/19 @ Frederick Douglass 6 PM
5/11/19 Rowan County & Harrison County in a triangle @ Estill
5/17/19 South Laurel (not confirmed but I'm assuming this will still be the same as it always is)
3/28 6:15 PM @ Garrard County
3/29 6:30 PM @ Tates Creek
4/8 6:00 PM Rockcastle county
4/12 6:30 PM South Laurel
4/23 6:15 PM Garrard County
4/29 6:00 PM Montgomery County
5/1 6:00 PM @ Frederick Douglass
5/9 6:00 PM @ Montgomery County
5/11 Estill Triangle (Estill v Lawrence County 1 PM, Lawrence Co v Rowan Co 3 PM, Estill v Rowan Co 5 PM)
5/14 6:00 PM Wolfe County

District games, Lee, Owsley and Powell.

As of now; No GRC.

With River stepping down at Fleming, I'm not sure if Fleming will be on it.

Had heard through the grapevine that Estill and Bourbon and Estill/'Perry Central were trying to work out dates.

With Dunbar and Madison Central (teams Estill usually plays), looking for new coaches, I'm not sure if they will get scheduled for next season.
Estill will scrimmage GRC @ GRC on March 14th, 7 days later on the 21st, GRC will come to Estill for a regular season game.
will still be the team to beat in the region
Fleming County comes to Estill 3/19....

Madison Southern faces Estill on 5/8...

Other than that, it's very quite...
No Dunbar and No Lafayette this season from what I hear
Estill has an incoming freshman class that will make the team much stronger if they are allowed to play. However, there are 2 freshman pitchers who will have to be starters. Winkle and Farmer.
Scoreboard was updated today...

Madison Central @ Estill March 22nd
Estill @ Madison Central May 17th

Both are on Friday's.
heard through the grapevine that North laurel is coming to Estill County on a Saturday. I'm assuming it's a triangle with another team but can't confirm that.
North Laurel comes to Estill County on Saturday April 13th for a varsity/JV game.
I'm sure they'll be great again. Go Neers!!!!!
Look for a big step backwards.
Estill will have to rely on several freshmen this year but still have some talent coming back. Riddell is the best hitter in the region.
Lacy Davidson is the best hitter in the region. May not be on the best team but nobody can hit it as far or as consistant as her. Kid is dangerous.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Lacy Davidson is the best hitter in the region. May not be on the best team but nobody can hit it as far or as consistant as her. Kid is dangerous.

Your crazy if you believe that. Riddell put those numbers up against Central KY teams like Boyle, Mad South, Mad Central, Lexington Area teams. Hazard lost to Lee County last season (not a knock to them or Hazard or this young lady) by run rule. Lee County isn't known for softball but they have been better than what they use to be. Not to mention Breathitt beat Hazard. 12 of Hazard's 19 games were run ruled losses. Riddle is the best hitter in the region as she faces tougher competition.

Riddle hit 7 home runs last season, had nearly a 400 batting average against tougher competition. If Hazard was playing the teams Estill plays and she performed that well, then you would have an argument but you don't have one here.

Hazard needs to take some Friday's and Saturday's and come to Lexington and play teams like Madison Central, Madison Southern, Montgomery County, GRC, Bourbon County and so on or at least participate in some Lexington area tournaments.
I agree 100% can’t play a cupcake schedule and then act like you are ready to play in the big time. It’s easy to hit off of girls throwing 40mph with nothing to go with it.
If Davidson played for Estill she would be the 3 hitter. Probably hit 15 HRs if she played for Estill and their schedule. The better the pitching the better Davidson hits.
No matter what happens. I feel like we will take a big step back. I didn't see this situation coming.
The Ole Man Wrote:No matter what happens. I feel like we will take a big step back. I didn't see this situation coming.

No way they take a step "back" They may not win the region this year, but that is because they lost a lot. The talent is still there. That's the main thing in softball in the 14th. Estill will win it 80% of the time if not more. But in my opinion, they will take a step forward in terms of competing at the state level in future years.
To say that someone would preform a lot better against better competition is hilarious. If that’s they case she needs to go somewhere she can always be challenged so her numbers will be better. Lol
jumpshooter Wrote:No way they take a step "back" They may not win the region this year, but that is because they lost a lot. The talent is still there. That's the main thing in softball in the 14th. Estill will win it 80% of the time if not more. But in my opinion, they will take a step forward in terms of competing at the state level in future years.

I just don't see it. Coaching is what made Estill Softball, Estill Softball. Sure, there was talent there, but coaching is what did it. You can't just have that dominance for over a decade without it being 70+% coaching. There's no way that for nearly 15 years girls in Irvine were all double the softball players of the players in other parts of the region. Coaching played the biggest role. Now we bring in a whole new staff, We basically, cleared house from a coaching staff perspective. They might piggyback off the previous coaching for a little bit, but we will definitely take a big step back to the pack. This is my opinion, we'll see what happens. Very frustrating.
The Ole Man Wrote:I just don't see it. Coaching is what made Estill Softball, Estill Softball. Sure, there was talent there, but coaching is what did it. You can't just have that dominance for over a decade without it being 70+% coaching. There's no way that for nearly 15 years girls in Irvine were all double the softball players of the players in other parts of the region. Coaching played the biggest role. Now we bring in a whole new staff, We basically, cleared house from a coaching staff perspective. They might piggyback off the previous coaching for a little bit, but we will definitely take a big step back to the pack. This is my opinion, we'll see what happens. Very frustrating.

And you have the right to your opinion, but I believe the coaching will greatly be improved now. The head coach anyway.
Estill County has historically had a strong fundamental feeder program with a longstanding and well coached Rec League in Ravenna plus not to mention most of the players on teams today are second generation kids of softball and baseball players that played for EC. There is hard evidence of strong coaching in Estill from 8 years old up to the HS. There are dedicated parents coaching those girls in TBall and Coach Beard was smart enough and good enough herself to capitalize on the talent. So yes, Estill will stumble and new paths will need to be made but the legacy that IS Estill Softball will help keep this winning tradition going. I am saddened with the loss of Coach Beard. She was kind and classy and she loves this sport. Whoever gets this job has legendary shoes to fill.
What I am trying to say is that Estill Softball is not great based on one person..... it has been great due to the effort made my many to get them ready to play well at all levels of the game.
jumpshooter Wrote:And you have the right to your opinion, but I believe the coaching will greatly be improved now. The head coach anyway.

Really? I don't know how you come to that conclusion. Estill Softball since they entered the region has had the most success of any program in any sport. Hands down. I give coaching the majority of the credit for that.
jumpshooter Wrote:And you have the right to your opinion, but I believe the coaching will greatly be improved now. The head coach anyway.

Who did they hire to be the head coach? If the coaching will be greatly improved.

That’s a bold statement to make, the lady has coached in this region for 13 years and won about 167 of a possible 172 games in region. If the coaching is gonna be greatly improved the new coach will have to win 168 out of 172 games to be better than her.
I would agree with Darkhorse. The feeder system has been the key to Estill’s success. With the right high school coach, this freshman class can make some noise in the state when they’re juniors and seniors.
I totally agree!!
I totally agree with Darkhorse!!