Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do So Many 8th Graders Play Varsity Ball?
!:confused:
I'm not sure but I think it only happens at the smaller schools
that isnt to hard to answer, its because they have the skills to play on the varsity or they wouldnt be there
I see your point but in BOYS It is rare for them to play on the varsity.There are some schools that have at least 5 to 7 on the varsity.
and on some occassions they bench isnt deep enough
The Private Wrote:I see your point but in BOYS It is rare for them to play on the varsity.There are some schools that have at least 5 to 7 on the varsity.

this really has not come to be a factor until the recent few years. The decline of talent in the 15th region really hit the region hard around the time that this years seniors were in grade school. Alot of girls have shide away from playing ball in high school which has really came to play in it as well. I think it is good to see the youngsters getting the oppurtuinity to step up and play on the big stage. It is really a way that the Mountain teams get some what of an edge at state having them to get the opputunity to mature quicker.
I agree with what you are saying but do you think the girls are getting burned out or just to lazy to continue working.
the 8th grader over in clay county is around 6'2" and has the ability to compete at the varsity level, but i beleive they have around 4 to 5 other 8th graders as reserves.
I think a combination of factors are at worK:
* Participation rates among girls seem to be lower than
for the boys in the upper grades, creating roster spots
for younger players.

* Girls develop a bit faster than boys, so an 8th grade
girl is at less of a physical maturity disadvantage
than an 8th grade boy going against upper graders.

* Cheerleading is a HUGE competition for the athletes in
smaller schools, keeping numbers at levels where younger
players have to fill out the rosters.
I think the reason more boys don't participate in varsity ball is because the middle school season is during the high school season. In girls the middle school season ends when the high school season is just beginning.
yeah that is why not many 8th grade boys play on the high school team! and the 8th graders that play on the varsity level are there to learn and help the high school team out! to give the starters a break for a minute! which in the process is preparing them for when they get up there!!
cause they rock...............and there training them to get ready for high schcool ball
The Private Wrote:I agree with what you are saying but do you think the girls are getting burned out or just to lazy to continue working.

To be honest it is a little bit of both unfortunatley, the teams that dominate the region have girls who step on to the big stage early in their carriers. They stick with it and work their tails off for example Haley Ratliff, Kayla Lowe and all the graduates from Magoffin this season. We have watched each one of those girls step onto the court when they were only in the 7th and/or 8th grades and totaly changed the complection on the game in the Mountains. I belive this is one reason we see such a run and gun tempo in the 15th while up state the majority of the teams step back into a half court set.
I dont know much about the 15th, but I've heard South Floyd had a really good 6th grader playing. I've seen Noble(7th) from Breathitt play and seem to be a head above the rest at the middle school level. Shouse (7th?)girl thats in middle school is also tough.
Anyone else out there at middle school level that will contribute next year at the high school level?
UK-FAN Wrote:I dont know much about the 15th, but I've heard South Floyd had a really good 6th grader playing. I've seen Noble(7th) from Breathitt play and seem to be a head above the rest at the middle school level. Shouse (7th?)girl thats in middle school is also tough.
Anyone else out there at middle school level that will contribute next year at the high school level?

Yeah Breathitt did field some very good young girls this past season, probley 2 of the best I have seen.
Most 8th Grade girls that do play varsity basketball have been playing the sport for many years. For example Pike Central's, Holly Harris and Hannah Thompson [now freshman] have played forever...I know they've been around pc basketball atleast since 6th grade. The coaches have confidence in these girls because of their experience and skills.
Plus most 8th graders that play varsity mostly focus on basketball. Many of them don't play other sports because they mainly focus on basketball, which also gives them an advantage to play on varsity.
ShakeandBake12 Wrote:Most 8th Grade girls that do play varsity basketball have been playing the sport for many years. For example Pike Central's, Holly Harris and Hannah Thompson [now freshman] have played forever...I know they've been around pc basketball atleast since 6th grade. The coaches have confidence in these girls because of their experience and skills.
Plus most 8th graders that play varsity mostly focus on basketball. Many of them don't play other sports because they mainly focus on basketball, which also gives them an advantage to play on varsity.

all the young girls at PC play 2 or 3 sports. But i still see what ur saying.
have u saw whitney bell jackson from clay?
haha good.
well...i playb highschool ball and the reaason they are up there is because thay can flat out play!
I think some of the reason we see alot of younger girls playing is the fact that some of the girls that already are in high school get fed up because I know about 5 girls that play right now that go to 2 different schools have been treated bad by the coaches, they was the star players at their grade schools and when they got to high school even if they are better than some of the other girls they don't get much playing time and the most of the time just end up quitting, I know everyone that plays in grade school and junior high is not stars, but I know this girl at PCCHS, that when she was in 8th grade coaches from 2 different high schools was wanting her to play for them and she chose to go to central where her friends were and she hardly ever gets to play and she is really good. the coaches don't always play the most talented sometimes they just play who they want to and I for one don't understand that I thought the whole point was to win. I know all coaches don't do this but I know for a fact some do.
in my opinion most of these kids get to play because of politics at the school.from what i see most of these kids just hurt the team.some of these kids are put on the varsity before their time.they take playing time from the varsity girls that have practiced hard and given alot of time.i think 7th and 8th graders should stay middle school and wait their turn or maybe they could play some jv.
If you coach HS, you put the best players on the team regardless of age. You are expected to win and you play the best players. Seniority has nothing to do with ability.
UKisN1 Wrote:If you coach HS, you put the best players on the team regardless of age. You are expected to win and you play the best players. Seniority has nothing to do with ability.

True enough, but it is almost impossible for the upper class players to not resent the younger players at least a little. Since girls mature a little quicker than boys, it is not that unusal for an eighth grade girl to be among the top seven or eight in a high school program.
I heard that Cordia High School had a seventh grader that might start running the point for them.
Hard for someone that age to do that.
UK-FAN Wrote:I heard that Cordia High School had a seventh grader that might start running the point for them.
Hard for someone that age to do that.

She ran it for them in the district tournament last year as a 6th grader...Her name is Paige Slone. She isnt even playing gradeschool ball she is just going to play high school this year.
First of all junior high should at least stay at JV level. The high school team is the high school team no matter how good or how bad. I know they are kids that are good enough to play varsity but everyone deserves their time.
SVLadiesFan Wrote: First of all junior high should at least stay at JV level. The high school team is the high school team no matter how good or how bad. I know they are kids that are good enough to play varsity but everyone deserves their time.

I am going to have to argue this but i guess it is where I am a Pike Central fan. If they are good enough then let them play. Each player should be happy to have great players to play over them I know that sounds odd but it is true.
SVLadiesFan Wrote: First of all junior high should at least stay at JV level. The high school team is the high school team no matter how good or how bad. I know they are kids that are good enough to play varsity but everyone deserves their time.

In competitive basketball, a person doesn't "deserve" playing time simply because they come to practice. "The best players will play"... If we can't live with that, then an intramural league is the place to be...
I disagree with you cavemaster. I think they should get playing time just because they come to every practice. It may give them the incentive to improve themselves. i don't mean put them in and let them loose the ballgame but let them in to learn and build confidence. some of the best players don't have the heart of some of the girls on the bench. some girls are just naturally better in some sports than others. the girl on the bench might love the game better but don't have that natural ability.
I can understand letting the better ball players play but i also say put those girls on the bench in for different reasons. be fair to these girls.
i know at one school that they never put the freshman and sophmores in to play just the junior high players. now this is JV okay. so now they don't have any upper classman to play becuase they were not fair to these girls.