Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 42 Newport Central Catholic 12
Final
Pirates with running clock midway through 2nd Qtr. First 3 offensive snaps all went for long TD's. One was surprisingly a long TD pass. JV and Freshman played entire second half. Really impressed with our play tonight. We're not there yet but we're improving every game. Now on to the Battle of the Mountains next week at Pikeville!
Congrats to Pirates
Belfry is the best team in Mountains, can’t wait till we get our shot.
Congrats Belfry.
Cattleman Wrote:Belfry is the best team in Mountains, can’t wait till we get our shot.

Who's your team Cattleman?
NCC might win 2 games if they’re lucky
bo67 Wrote:NCC might win 2 games if they’re lucky

Ok. What's your point? I'm not going to sit here and down the kids from NCC but I am curious as to what you mean. If your saying this wasnt a good win for Belfry then ok. Dont think anyone said it was. We did what we had to do and looked good doing it and are improving every week. As for NCC, those kids made a 4 hour trip to Pond Creek and played their hearts out. That's all you can ask of a group of kids. Hopefully your just talking smack about Belfry and not the Newport kids. Cant understand some of the posts made on here.
Congrats Belfry!
Congrats Belfry n I agree Pirates fan that was a long trip for the Newport Bunch
#55PirateFan Wrote:Who's your team Cattleman?

Boyle County

Just looking ahead
Cattleman Wrote:Boyle County

Just looking ahead

Nice team, Lol! Boyle is a monster! A Top 5 team in the entire state, IMO! Congrats on the win tonight.
Point is. Don’t brag about this win. NCC is down. New coach and rebuilding. As far as my posts and you’re thougts about them. I don’t care lol
Congrats Pirates!!!
Congratulations to the Pirates one game at a time
bo67 Wrote:Point is. Don’t brag about this win. NCC is down. New coach and rebuilding. As far as my posts and you’re thougts about them. I don’t care lol

First of all show me exactly where I was bragging about anything. All I said was we're improving every week. And that's a fact, not bragging. And I just gave a little bit of information of how our game went tonight just like everybody else does. Second, you took an unnecessary shot at the NCC kids when you said they'd be lucky to win two games. That's an insult to those kids who played their heart out tonight. Low life move on your part. That's a shame. And lastly, learn how to use your words correctly and the difference between "you're" and "your".
I remember many many moons ago coming to Belfy in the playoffs and beating them like a drum 40 to 7. And near the endzond getting kneed in the stomach. And when I got up he ran through the endzone to the fence. And as I approached him. His buddies pulled a switch blade on me. Real classy. But all ended well. With about 2 minutes left I got thrown out of the game for a classic return cheap shot as I drilled when he was 5 yards out of bounds and over his teams bench.
Congrats Belfry!! looks like they are getting back to their old self's with some of that mojo. I figured they'd dismantle NCC, and NCC might score once on them and maybe again on the JV or 2nd stringers.
bo67 Wrote:I remember many many moons ago coming to Belfy in the playoffs and beating them like a drum 40 to 7. And near the endzond getting kneed in the stomach. And when I got up he ran through the endzone to the fence. And as I approached him. His buddies pulled a switch blade on me. Real classy. But all ended well. With about 2 minutes left I got thrown out of the game for a classic return cheap shot as I drilled when he was 5 yards out of bounds and over his teams bench.

What exactly does this have to do with anything? You want everybody to think bo67 is a tough guy? Unbelievable! Grow up man.
Hound05 Wrote:Congrats Belfry!! looks like they are getting back to their old self's with some of that mojo. I figured they'd dismantle NCC, and NCC might score once on them and maybe again on the JV or 2nd stringers.

Thanks Hound05. We played real well on offense tonight. On defense, we played well against the run. But I'll be honest, our pass defense worries me. NCC lived on short 5-10 yard passes and completed most of them. If they can do that to us then when we face really good passing teams like Corbin, Boyle, and Lex.Cath we'll get lit up. That's the area where we have to improve on if we have any chance at making a deep run in the playoffs.
Never said that Anyone can drill someone if they don’t see it coming. I’m a sissy lol
I will say Belfry has a good football program. No doubt
#55PirateFan Wrote:Ok. What's your point? I'm not going to sit here and down the kids from NCC but I am curious as to what you mean. If your saying this wasnt a good win for Belfry then ok. Dont think anyone said it was. We did what we had to do and looked good doing it and are improving every week. As for NCC, those kids made a 4 hour trip to Pond Creek and played their hearts out. That's all you can ask of a group of kids. Hopefully your just talking smack about Belfry and not the Newport kids. Cant understand some of the posts made on here.

First off, ANY WIN is a good win in my opinion. But I never seen anyone bragging about being world beaters after this game either.
bo67 Wrote:Point is. Don’t brag about this win. NCC is down. New coach and rebuilding. As far as my posts and you’re thougts about them. I don’t care lol
I might have read it wrong, but giving details of the game isn't bragging. He said the first 3 times on offense were TD's. Its a statement. Corbin held Beechwood to 14 points, its not bragging, its just how the game played out. Of course things can be taken different ways, but I never took anyone's statement as bragging or like it was a STATEMENT win for their program. It's belfry, we all know what they've accomplished. Its almost common sense how their fans feel about this win. NOW, if they said, "Belfry smashed them, this game shows no one can touch us, the title is ours!" its a little different. Like I said, im not picking sides or anything, but I didn't take their comments as bragging. But no one really cares what I think, half the time I don't even know if I care what I think
#55PirateFan Wrote:Thanks Hound05. We played real well on offense tonight. On defense, we played well against the run. But I'll be honest, our pass defense worries me. NCC lived on short 5-10 yard passes and completed most of them. If they can do that to us then when we face really good passing teams like Corbin, Boyle, and Lex.Cath we'll get lit up. That's the area where we have to improve on if we have any chance at making a deep run in the playoffs.

Yea the small portion of games I've watched I thought that might be one weakness belfry does have, is defending the pass. But I have seen very little of belfry. A couple years ago when they came to corbin, I thought they were a little weaker on the pass, as far as technique and actual coverage. But they had such a good Dline and great athletes as DB's it kind of covered it up. But it'll get better as the season goes. The only cure is more reps in games, so they can get the feel for it and reading different QB's. But you've always got great athletes and an outstanding coach, so im sure he'll fix it or find an ingenuous way to hide it at least. But all in all, those short routes are hard to cover in HS. Kid's are afraid to give up the home run so they play a little off and safer and then get hit on short passes. I guess its a catch 22 for everyone in high school. I'm not gonna lie, I think we have a great defense. We held beechwood to 14 points, but they done kind of the same thing to us tonight. Hit us with slants and comeback routes. We stopped a lot of them, but they made some outstanding catches tonight with coverage right on top of them. But they still was hitting some of them with no room. Just a hard thing to stop in general I guess. congrats on the win though.
You play teams like Belfry and hope to learn from it. And try to get better
Hound05 Wrote:Yea the small portion of games I've watched I thought that might be one weakness belfry does have, is defending the pass. But I have seen very little of belfry. A couple years ago when they came to corbin, I thought they were a little weaker on the pass, as far as technique and actual coverage. But they had such a good Dline and great athletes as DB's it kind of covered it up. But it'll get better as the season goes. The only cure is more reps in games, so they can get the feel for it and reading different QB's. But you've always got great athletes and an outstanding coach, so im sure he'll fix it or find an ingenuous way to hide it at least. But all in all, those short routes are hard to cover in HS. Kid's are afraid to give up the home run so they play a little off and safer and then get hit on short passes. I guess its a catch 22 for everyone in high school. I'm not gonna lie, I think we have a great defense. We held beechwood to 14 points, but they done kind of the same thing to us tonight. Hit us with slants and comeback routes. We stopped a lot of them, but they made some outstanding catches tonight with coverage right on top of them. But they still was hitting some of them with no room. Just a hard thing to stop in general I guess. congrats on the win though.

Yeah, your assessment is spot on my friend. Pass defense is our Achilles heel right now. And theres one big difference in our present pass defense than the one you saw when we came to Corbin: we dont have that dominant D-Line with Raquan Horton and Cole Bentley anymore to make up for it. Lol! But we do have some outstanding athletes at DB and safety. Just not the size we'd prefer. But like you said, game reps will defiantly make them better. I agree with you to about the short passes, slants, etc being one of the hardest to defend against. It seems it's like that at every level. We'll just have to see how it all plays out. I'm sure you'll agree, its going to be fun to see just how the season is going to unfold and will definitely be an exciting November! Congrats to your Hounds to. I'd loved to have been at that game tonight. Sounds like it was a good one. Like I said man, I dont see Corbin losing a game on their schedule and I'm still sticking by that statement. I got a gut feeling this is the year you guys have been waiting for, I really do. My Pirates have won a few trophies recently, Boyle got theirs last year. So if my Pirates do get beat out I'll be a Corbin fan all the way.
bo67 Wrote:I remember many many moons ago coming to Belfy in the playoffs and beating them like a drum 40 to 7. And near the endzond getting kneed in the stomach. And when I got up he ran through the endzone to the fence. And as I approached him. His buddies pulled a switch blade on me. Real classy. But all ended well. With about 2 minutes left I got thrown out of the game for a classic return cheap shot as I drilled when he was 5 yards out of bounds and over his teams bench.

Are you sure it was a switchblade? It may have been a bowker. 😂😂😂

That’s some story. Not sure what it has to do with tonight’s game against NCC.

If you actually got cheap shotted “many moons ago”.....then please accept our sincerest apologies.

Belfry Pirate Football has not been built on the backs of cheap shot artists and gang bangers. Anyone and everyone knows that. Neither Haywood nor the Pond Creek Faithful would ever tolerate continued behavior of that sort.

Back to your original post. No one, and I mean no one posted a hint of braggadocio regarding the win against NCC. In fact, all I can see are congratulatory posts and realistic post game observations. If you have harsh feelings towards the Belfry program....then so be it. But don’t attack a quality poster like 55pirate. He’s one of the good ones on here. Regardless whether you like his team or not.

Show some respect.
Belfry just was so much bigger and more physical up front I would like to say congrats to the men up front great outing boys and I would like to give a big shout out to #3 Dixon when Browning had that big touchdown run he went out and made a awesome down field block that most backs don’t do this kid has so much potential Go Big Red
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:.

Are you sure it was a switchblade? It may have been a bowker. 😂😂😂

That’s some story. Not sure what it has to do with tonight’s game against NCC.

If you actually got cheap shotted “many moons ago”.....then please accept our sincerest apologies.

Belfry Pirate Football has not been built on the backs of cheap shot artists and gang bangers. Anyone and everyone knows that. Neither Haywood nor the Pond Creek Faithful would ever tolerate continued behavior of that sort.

Back to your original post. No one, and I mean no one posted a hint of braggadocio regarding the win against NCC. In fact, all I can see are congratulatory posts and realistic post game observations. If you have harsh feelings towards the Belfry program....then so be it. But don’t attack a quality poster like 55pirate. He’s one of the good ones on here. Regardless whether you like his team or not.

Show some respect.

Thanks my friend for the kind words. I really appreciate it. I try to be respectful to all posters on here and especially to their teams because it's a group of kids that we're talking about here that go out and give it all they got on Friday nights to win a game with their brothers on the football field. They cant help it if their not as talented as their opponants are sometimes and take a bad lose. But they have my respect for keeping their heads up and coming out again and again and laying it all on the line for their coaches and teammates. But some people forget that and get on here and make rude and disrespectful statements about teenagers and that is something that really gets to me! I was always taught that if you dont have anything good to say about somebody then dont say anything. God knows I try. But sometimes I get carried away and say some things that I shouldn't when I see posts made about a group of kids doing the best they can. But I guess there will always be a few of those no matter what. Just have to ignore them.
Just another troll! Don't pay any attention to this dude. We get it you was tough back in the day and we are happy for you.