Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds to Retire #13 of Concepcion...
About darn time!!!

The Reds announced today they will retire Dave Concepcion’s No. 13. It is the eighth number the team has retired, and the first since Sparky Anderson’s 10 was retired May 28, 2005. The Reds will formally retire Concepcion’s number before a July 28 game against the Chicago Cubs. No one has worn Concepcion's number since he retired in 1988.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../70430003/
Awesome, well deserved and long overdue.
although Im a Pirates diehard fan, I couldnt have said it any better myself STATS..
-STATS- Wrote:Awesome, well deserved and long overdue.
He was the most underrated shortstop in MLB history. The man could play circles around Ozzie and guys these days like Jeter
Tubby Hater Wrote:He was the most underrated shortstop in MLB history. The man could play circles around Ozzie and guys these days like Jeter

I liked Concepcion as much as the next guy but Ozzie is the best SS of all time and had a better fielding % than Concepcion and so far Jeter has a better one too.
is there anyway we can find out who had more opportunities for error though?
I will argue anyone that he is better than Ozzie. Ozzie was the most overrated player in baseball history. He couldnt hit his weight and yeah he was acrobatic but lacked arm strength. Ozzie couldnt play a deep short because of lack of arm strength. The plays Ozzie made the great diving plays, Concepcion made the same plays look routine. I grew up watching the Big Red Machine and Davie was overshadowed by all the stars on that team. Davie had possibly the greatest shortstop arm of all time.
Good room for debate here but it's hard to argue either way. Ozzie Smith did have a better career fielding % and his arm really wasn't that weak, but Concepcion was amazing as well. They played the same number of seasons.

Ozzie had a career average of .262 and Concepcion a career average of .267.

Ozzie had 580 stolen bases to Concepcion's 321.

The rest is pretty even, and you all can see for yourself. But it's hard to make an argument either way. I'll reserve my opinion but here are their stat sheets.

Ozzie

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The date of the Dave Concepcion jersey #13 retirement ceremony has been changed from July 28 to August 25.

The club did not want to conflict with the Hall of Fame weekend. Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan and Tony Perez will be in Cooperstown on July 28.