Poll: Should MLB Ban Beer from the Clubhouse?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
30.00%
No
70.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should MLB Ban Alcohol From Clubhouses?
Should baseball ban beer from the clubhouse?

Teams throughout baseball have changed or are mulling changes in their clubhouse alcohol policies following the death of St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock. And the Milwaukee Brewers are among teams who looked at their policy and decided no change was needed. The Brewers said Wednesday they will continue to allow beer in their clubhouse during home and away games. Alcohol played a role in Hancock's death in a one-car accident. Following his death, the Cardinals banned alcohol in their clubhouse, the Oakland Athletics and New York Yankees extended their home clubhouse bans on alcohol to visiting clubhouses, and several clubs said they were examining their clubhouse alcohol policies. Other clubs that have standing no-alcohol policies in their clubhouses or recently instituted one: Baltimore, Detroit, Minnesota, Toronto, the Cubs, Florida, Houston, the Mets, Pittsburgh and Washington.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2866076
Interesting opinion piece on this matter in today's Herald-Leader...

http://www.kentucky.com/268/story/65658.html

It basically says that the clubhouse is the workplace for players. They are working. Do we get to drink at work and on the job? Why should they?
Alcohol has no place in professional sports. Unless they just won their division or better. Then you got to have somoething to shake up and spray everyone with.
Tell you the truth, I didnt even have a clue they allowed alcohol in the clubhouse until the Josh Hancock tragedy. But I think they should ban it, but i DO agree with devilswin, have it for them to spray each other with in celebration.
This brings up another arguement. Why everytime some Dumba$$ messes up everyone seems to get on the "Well then we'll just put a Ban on it all together". This is what I call knee jerk justice. Which doesn't do anything to solve the problem in exercising good judgement. Rather than learning to practice moderation and good decision making you just take away the ability to make the right choice. Nothing gained with this approach. You will only end up with the same problems in a different way.
DevilsWin Wrote:This brings up another arguement. Why everytime some Dumba$$ messes up everyone seems to get on the "Well then we'll just put a Ban on it all together". This is what I call knee jerk justice. Which doesn't do anything to solve the problem in exercising good judgement. Rather than learning to practice moderation and good decision making you just take away the ability to make the right choice. Nothing gained with this approach. You will only end up with the same problems in a different way.
well spoken i agree.
hey shouldn't ban it because they usualy don't get hammered drunk there anyway.
Major League Baseball will not institute any league-wide change in the clubhouse alcohol policy following the death of St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock in a car crash.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2872771 - bottom of the page.
No I do not think so. If a player see's that alcohol becomes a problem then let him ban it from there locker room. It is only a problem when players abuse the priveledge of using alcohol. But this is just my opinion, which means nothing on the face of this Earth, lol!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:No I do not think so. If a player see's that alcohol becomes a problem then let him ban it from there locker room. It is only a problem when players abuse the priveledge of using alcohol. But this is just my opinion, which means nothing on the face of this Earth, lol!
:Thumbs: