Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knott 106 Cordia 10
SouthPark Wrote:It's not that they haven't produced a good product, it's that they produced the best product they could. They probably don't have anything to work with and feel helpless. They produced the best product possible, it just isn't a very good one. If you were the coach at Cordia, it would be the same. For goodness sake, nine months ago we didn't even know if the school was going to exist right now. There are 88 kids enrolled in the school, they only have two upper classmen on the team, Knott has 576 enrolled in the school and are the DEFENDING REGIONAL CHAMPIONS. Why, would you go out of your way to beat a team like that by nearly 100 points? They could have kept the score lower if THEY wanted to, but THEY didn't. There's a running clock with a 35 point lead in the 2nd half, a 40 point lead in the 1st half, and you outscore them by 50-56 points in 16-20 minutes of real time? You put your last 5 players on the bench in, which are still better than their Varsity, and you chew the clock. IF you want to keep this from happening. You tell your kids to not take transition opportunities, hold the ball and chew some clock on your possession. Look for your shot after you burn about 30 seconds. You substitute on every dead ball to milk the clock, it's just good sportsmanship. 106-10 over the Cordia Lady Lions, with 88 kids in the whole school, is that supposed to be a STATEMENT WIN? 106-10 CAN be avoided. You have to try to win 106-10 to win 106-10.

Why should Knott be responsible for the bad team they're playing?

Perhaps instead of blaming the winners in this situation it's time to blame the admin and coaches for putting them in that situation to begin with.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Why should Knott be responsible for the bad team they're playing?

Perhaps instead of blaming the winners in this situation it's time to blame the admin and coaches for putting them in that situation to begin with.

It is not about being responsible for the lack of talent on the other team, it is about good sportsmanship. It would be one thing if it was Knott running the score up on Perry, but this is Knott running the score up on a team with 88 kids in the whole school, they have no resources. They are helpless. If this was Knott beating Perry by 60 or Estill beating Powell by 55, I'd be completely on your side. However, Cordia has no chance of defending theirself. They are the definition of a small team from the mountains. It is like a high schooler beating up an elementary schooler, the elementary schooler cannot defend himself, he has no chance. Cordia has no chance to compete with Knott and it lacks sportsmanship for Knott to run the score up on them like that. Knott needs to pick on someone their own size, what they did goes against all principles of sportsmanship and decency. Let's not forget that Mercy held a 24-7 lead on Knott last year in the first round of the state tournament and won by 29. They can lose to, they are not world beaters. Was beating Cordia 70-10 not good enough for you? Why, do you need to beat them 106-10? Is it any different than 70-10? If you were in the shoes of the kids, parents, and administration at Cordia you would understand. If you were on the other side of the fence, I'd think you would understand. It would be different if it was Knott running the score up against Perry... But, this is Cordia they are defensless. It's like being a fighter being in a fight with a guy 100 pounds below your weight class with no formal training, knocking him out on the first uppercut and then beating him up for another 5 minutes. Why would you do that? It's just good sportsmanship, knowing when enough is enough. You know you are going to win, act like you have been there before and show some class. Knott is a storied basketball power, do they NEED to beat Cordia 106-10? Are they that insecure? What's the motive for winning by 96 instead of 60 against a rubbish team? This is high school sports, everyone is not on the same level. This is not like the NBA where every Franchise has (basically) the same playing field and the front offices' decisions control the outcomes. It's high school sports and sometimes you just won't have a good team, or even have a chance at having a competitive team. It's just good sportsmanship, something I think everyone can agree with.
SouthPark Wrote:It is not about being responsible for the lack of talent on the other team, it is about good sportsmanship. It would be one thing if it was Knott running the score up on Perry, but this is Knott running the score up on a team with 88 kids in the whole school, they have no resources. They are helpless. If this was Knott beating Perry by 60 or Estill beating Powell by 55, I'd be completely on your side. However, Cordia has no chance of defending theirself. They are the definition of a small team from the mountains. It is like a high schooler beating up an elementary schooler, the elementary schooler cannot defend himself, he has no chance. Cordia has no chance to compete with Knott and it lacks sportsmanship for Knott to run the score up on them like that. Knott needs to pick on someone their own size, what they did goes against all principles of sportsmanship and decency. Let's not forget that Mercy held a 24-7 lead on Knott last year in the first round of the state tournament and won by 29. They can lose to, they are not world beaters. Was beating Cordia 70-10 not good enough for you? Why, do you need to beat them 106-10? Is it any different than 70-10? If you were in the shoes of the kids, parents, and administration at Cordia you would understand. If you were on the other side of the fence, I'd think you would understand. It would be different if it was Knott running the score up against Perry... But, this is Cordia they are defensless. It's like being a fighter being in a fight with a guy 100 pounds below your weight class with no formal training, knocking him out on the first uppercut and then beating him up for another 5 minutes. Why would you do that? It's just good sportsmanship, knowing when enough is enough. You know you are going to win, act like you have been there before and show some class. Knott is a storied basketball power, do they NEED to beat Cordia 106-10? Are they that insecure? What's the motive for winning by 96 instead of 60 against a rubbish team? This is high school sports, everyone is not on the same level. This is not like the NBA where every Franchise has (basically) the same playing field and the front offices' decisions control the outcomes. It's high school sports and sometimes you just won't have a good team, or even have a chance at having a competitive team. It's just good sportsmanship, something I think everyone can agree with.

Who determines it's bad sportsmanship?
Who came up with that rule? It's a game.
These "act like you've been there before" post crack me up.

I guarantee you the people who started the whole bad sportsmanship thing at the beginning of time were the people getting drilled by 100.

It works both ways. Cordial could beat knott by 100 and they wouldn't have the right to say anything either.

It's time to get out of this softness and cry poor sportsmanship everytime a team runs the score up. They're supposed to run the score up. It's a game.
Holding the ball is unsportsmanlike to me...but that is JMO.
Many, many years ago I watched a grade school game similar to this. In the 4th quarter the reserves were in and when they would get a defensive rebound they would hand it back to the team and let them continue to shoot. I, myself, thought this was more embarrassing than getting beaten by more points. Playing your reserves, not pressing, not aggressively playing defense by going for steals is all you should ask from your team. You can’t ask them to roll over and play dead.... Maybe agreeing to play the entire game with a running clock is the answer.
Those JV and those freshman girls work just as hard as those varsity girls at practices. When they get their shot they shouldn’t have to hold the ball or miss shots on purpose to please the other team. If you can’t stop another teams end of bench players, then you need to look in the mirror.