Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When will Belfry drop to 2A?
Is it true that the population in the Belfry area continues to drop? If so how long before the Pirates come down to 2A? I would love Mayfield to play them, win or lose. The Pirates are a great program who can make you better by playing them.
Best program and by far the best coach in the mountains. No one even close. Hayward is one of the classiest coaches ever. He will always be the Best of the best of not only mountains but the state. No one can argue with that.
When Virginia annexes West Virginia and builds a wall.
pjdoug Wrote:When Virginia annexes West Virginia and builds a wall.

Ah....I knew it. Someone starts a Belfry Thread and of course, The Grinch shows up 😂. Stay in whoville Dougie 😂
Yea. I am sure that is the only reason he has played in 12 state championships and won 6. I know your not that stupid. You will not hear many speak badly of Hayward. If you do, Shame on you.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Ah....I knew it. Someone starts a Belfry Thread and of course, The Grinch shows up 😂. Stay in whoville Dougie 😂

You knew I couldn't resist. lol. Merry Christmas!
pjdoug Wrote:You knew I couldn't resist. lol. Merry Christmas!

All in fun brother! Merry Christmas!
Haywood is the classiest coach anywhere around. Not a question.
Trump's presidency might slow the migration out of Eastern Kentucky down long enough for Belfry to remain three for the next alignment, but it will happen within the next eight years. Honestly, I'll be surprised if there are any true mountain schools in Eastern Kentucky any bigger than a large 3A in the next ten years.
bball_fan Wrote:Trump's presidency might slow the migration out of Eastern Kentucky down long enough for Belfry to remain three for the next alignment, but it will happen within the next eight years. Honestly, I'll be surprised if there are any true mountain schools in Eastern Kentucky any bigger than a large 3A in the next ten years.

Truth
Johnson Central “was” 5A before some shifting and will remain 4A for next four years. I’m sure someone can explain how it all came about.

Anyway. I think JCHS will remain 4A for long time. That area isn’t coal dependent and population hasn’t changed much for decades. But I do think all other schools will be 2A at best in the future.
This year I think CAL will be a stiff test for the Pirates in 3A or maybe Desales, but after that Belfry will be better served staying in 3A. 2A with Mayfield, Beechwood, LCA and Somerset will be a tougher overall class than 3A will be.....just my opinion
bball_fan Wrote:Trump's presidency might slow the migration out of Eastern Kentucky down long enough for Belfry to remain three for the next alignment, but it will happen within the next eight years. Honestly, I'll be surprised if there are any true mountain schools in Eastern Kentucky any bigger than a large 3A in the next ten years.
true mountain schools?
Explorer Wrote:Johnson Central “was” 5A before some shifting and will remain 4A for next four years. I’m sure someone can explain how it all came about.

Anyway. I think JCHS will remain 4A for long time. That area isn’t coal dependent and population hasn’t changed much for decades. But I do think all other schools will be 2A at best in the future.

What does fuel the Johnson County economy? Do they have many factories?
pjdoug Wrote:What does fuel the Johnson County economy? Do they have many factories?

Fair question.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:.

Fair question.

No they don’t
Not soon enough, 2A will not be as talented or atleast not have as many threats the next alignment in my view at least as of now.
CardinalAlum Wrote:No they don’t

What does most of east Kentucky have besides coal? it always makes me sad that people have to struggle so much. There's not really enough flat land to build industry, and not much level farm land that is fertile enough to farm.
pjdoug Wrote:What does most of east Kentucky have besides coal? it always makes me sad that people have to struggle so much. There's not really enough flat land to build industry, and not much level farm land that is fertile enough to farm.

The Pike County school system and Pikeville Medical Center employ several thousand in Pike County.
Lawrence Co will drop to 2A also. We have played some of our best ball in 2A. From 98 to this next alignment we went from 2A, up to 3A then 4A back down to 3A and now back to 2A. Funny how things come full circle in high school football every 10 to 15 years or so. LCHS is going back to 2A and our program IMO is about to blow up again. Exciting times! I remember the Bulldogs playing Mayfield in the 91 state semifinals I think it was. Heck of a defensive battle but Mayfield won. After that the Bullsogs went on a crazy run of good teams and athletes from 96 through about 03 or 04. With 4 or 5 undefeated seasons probably 10 or 11 district titles can't remember how many region titles and several times getting squeaked out in the semis only to watch the team who beat us go on to win the big one in blowout fashion.
bucslover68 Wrote:The Pike County school system and Pikeville Medical Center employ several thousand in Pike County.
Yeah, I'm just asking questions and curious what fuels the economy. I know Pike County is the largest county, and the drop in population is probably from lower production of coal.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Lawrence Co will drop to 2A also. We have played some of our best ball in 2A. From 98 to this next alignment we went from 2A, up to 3A then 4A back down to 3A and now back to 2A. Funny how things come full circle in high school football every 10 to 15 years or so. LCHS is going back to 2A and our program IMO is about to blow up again. Exciting times! I remember the Bulldogs playing Mayfield in the 91 state semifinals I think it was. Heck of a defensive battle but Mayfield won. After that the Bullsogs went on a crazy run of good teams and athletes from 96 through about 03 or 04. With 4 or 5 undefeated seasons probably 10 or 11 district titles can't remember how many region titles and several times getting squeaked out in the semis only to watch the team who beat us go on to win the big one in blowout fashion.

I hated watching West run wild on my Colonels :biggrin:
pjdoug Wrote:Yeah, I'm just asking questions and curious what fuels the economy. I know Pike County is the largest county, and the drop in population is probably from lower production of coal.

Coal and Railroad have went hand and hand. As coal dropped so did railroad jobs. Obviously coal plays the primary role, but the fact the railroad system has basically died off in the area also hurt tremendously. When those two go it has ancillary effects on all the other small businesses in the area that depends on that economy to fuel them. Natural Gas also used to aid the economy a great deal and has fallen off hard even before the coal industry fell.

As for the rest of Pike County, luckily the city of Pikeville has some more white collar and healthcare traction that has helped keep it above water. Pikeville Medical Center has became the leader in the medical field for Eastern Kentucky. Pikeville remains a hotbed for the legal field as well, and with so much unemployment due to the coal economy that had kept the fires stoked. Throw in UPike and some added business in the Pikeville City Limits and the County seat seems poised to more than weather the storm.
You can play up a in class so I don’t think you’ll see Coach Haywood going to 2A
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:You can play up a in class so I don’t think you’ll see Coach Haywood going to 2A

You can petition to play up in class but the school has to be able to justify why it would be more beneficial to them to play up.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:You can play up a in class so I don’t think you’ll see Coach Haywood going to 2A

Prob wont happen, there are a few 2A teams over there, Pburg comes to mind. I doubt the Pirates would even bother
Belfry to 2A when they realize they can’t win 3A
bo67 Wrote:Belfry to 2A when they realize they can’t win 3A
They have only won it 4/6 years and played for it 8/12. I believe they have fared very well in 3a and will be one of the favorites again this year along with other teams that have been mentioned.
bo67 Wrote:Belfry to 2A when they realize they can’t win 3A

Please.
Coach Haywood prefers playing in 3A. Always has. Despite winning the 2A titles in 2003 and 2004....would have preferred playing in 3A. However....points made incthisxthread are very valid. The economy has been decimated.....and honestly, Pikeville’s transformation is the main driving force county wide ....other than the school system and county related jobs. At some point, IMO Belfry will have no choice but to play 2A The male enrollment will not support 3A numbers in a few years. They’re barely holding on now. IMO, Pikeville stands in the best position for continued growth. Whether or not that growth pushes PHS to into a larger class remains to be seen. I do think that Belfry’s numbers may swell in some years due to cross over enrollment....but not consistently. The area is suffering a slow, harsh death. Sad but true