Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region Top 5
Who is the current top 5 in the 15th Region?
Hazard
Leslie
Knott
Owsley
Wolfe
Didn't mean to post twice, mod please fix.
Hazard
Knott
Wolfe
Leslie
Powell
Leslie
Hazard
Letcher
Owsley
Knott

Leslie is still the best team in the region even with the loss of Mullins. When Leslie played Hazard, they had to figure out how to play without their point guard. Much time has passed since and I believe they are still number one.

Hazard is a team that isn't consistent but has the tools to make a serious run in the regionals. If Mullins becomes eligible, then I will put them first in the region. Until then, they are at number two right now. Coach Caudill is really working that team hard and setting high expectations.

Letcher is a team that many are overlooking. They have some serious size and strength. They can go deep and I look for Coach Baker to have those players ready when it comes time for the post season.

Owsley is inconsistent as well. They have won two games at Knott county and have lost some to much weaker teams. However, they are young and aggressive. This team could beat anyone if they are hitting shots.

Knott has the best player in the region, but can't put it together for some reason. I watched the Owsley game and they looked horrible including Higgins. Many of their starters were nonfactors. Coach Honeycutt has to figure out a way to get his team competitive and I believe he will do that. If not, it will be a short season.
Da Truth Wrote:Leslie
Hazard
Letcher
Owsley
Knott

Leslie is still the best team in the region even with the loss of Mullins. When Leslie played Hazard, they had to figure out how to play without their point guard. Much time has passed since and I believe they are still number one.

Hazard is a team that isn't consistent but has the tools to make a serious run in the regionals. If Mullins becomes eligible, then I will put them first in the region. Until then, they are at number two right now. Coach Caudill is really working that team hard and setting high expectations.

Letcher is a team that many are overlooking. They have some serious size and strength. They can go deep and I look for Coach Baker to have those players ready when it comes time for the post season.

Owsley is inconsistent as well. They have won two games at Knott county and have lost some to much weaker teams. However, they are young and aggressive. This team could beat anyone if they are hitting shots.

Knott has the best player in the region, but can't put it together for some reason. I watched the Owsley game and they looked horrible including Higgins. Many of their starters were nonfactors. Coach Honeycutt has to figure out a way to get his team competitive and I believe he will do that. If not, it will be a short season.

Da truth is, Wolfe beat Owsley by 10 last week, yet you have Owsley in your top 5 and not Wolfe. What gives? Also, what inferior teams? And lastly, Hazard is way better than Leslie. We'll see who is right tomorrow at the All A. Bold predictions, Hazard by 16 and Wolfe by 14.
I was dead wrong on the Hazard v Leslie game. But, I did get the Wolfe v Owsley game right. My gut was 10, but I changed because they won by 10 the week before. I should have went with my gut, lol.
The Ole Man Wrote:I was dead wrong on the Hazard v Leslie game. But, I did get the Wolfe v Owsley game right. My gut was 10, but I changed because they won by 10 the week before. I should have went with my gut, lol.
This was a 10 point win but actually that’s misleading as to what kind of game it was. 10 points was the biggest lead of the night. This game was a classic “who can get the lead in the last 90 seconds, hold the ball and force opponent to foul and make the foul shots” type game. And Owsley was unable to score on their end, had several good looks that rolled off the rim. This game was close until the final minute. Wolfe hit the 3 pointer with under 2 left in the game and was able to get the upper hand. Owsley actually made a few fouls that were unnecessary in he closing seconds because the game was out of reach and as a result Wolfe was able to extend the lead and make it seem like a comfortable win by someone not at the game, but it was anything but that, it was a very close contest.
Leslie won by 12 over Hazard, and the didn’t eve seem to be in qeution for Leslie. Leslie looked way to big and powerful today.
MountainBaller Wrote:Leslie won by 12 over Hazard, and the didn’t eve seem to be in qeution for Leslie. Leslie looked way to big and powerful today.
Leslie looked very impressive today. I don’t think they’ll have much trouble tomorrow winning by around 15.
Wolfe is a Top 5 team for sure with the ability to beat anyone in the region on a given night. They’re going to keep getting better now that all their girls are getting healthy. Coach Brown does a good job coaching to his teams strengths and not complicating things for his team. A lot of the coaches in the 14th struggle to just coach the team they have. Hazard pressed and gave up layups all game today and never adjusted. If I had to rank the teams today I would say
1. Leslie
2. Hazard
3. Wolfe
4. LCC
5. KCC
6. Owsley

With any of those teams being capable of beating anyone else on the list on a given night.
Leslie
Hazard
KCC
Owsley
LCC
How is Owsley ahead of Wolfe when Wolfe has beat them 2 times by 10.
y’all forgetting Letcher killed Leslie before christmas. my top 5 is
1. Knott
2. Letcher
3. Leslie
4. Owsley Co
5. breathitt
hoopsdude20 Wrote:y’all forgetting Letcher killed Leslie before christmas. my top 5 is
1. Knott
2. Letcher
3. Leslie
4. Owsley Co
5. breathitt

Looks good.
I want to revise mine:

Leslie
Letcher
Wolfe
Hazard
Owsley
I think a lot of people need to start giving Wolfe County some credit after their preformance in the All A this week. Wolfe has a young team that are improving every game.
We have a very tough region with girls teams this year because I feel simply put any team could come against one of the others and have their A game and upset. I don’t feel there is a clear title runner set yet. As a Patriot Fan I have all the faith in Honeycutt to get this team pulled together strong enough that they will be an even stronger squad come tournament time though.
Seeing as how most of the contenders for this region dwell in the All "A' side of things, this weekend shook things up a bit...
Be Bold or Go Home...or if you're FatPat..be Bald or Go Home!!

1. Wolfe Co
2. Letcher Central--only non All "A'" Contender
3. Leslie County
4. Knott Central
5. Owlsey County
We have some good parity among the 14th region teams, which will allow for a shakeup in the rankings every week. Hazard needs to figure out that when the press is not working, they need to make an adjustment and stop doing it. Leslie beat the press so easily, but struggled against the zone that Wolfe put on them.

As of today:
1. Wolfe - All A Champs

2. Leslie - need to figure out how to beat the zone, and it's not jacking up 3's

3.Hazard - Needs to not press all of the time, and when they get mullins eligible it will make a huge difference

4. Owsley - Young group of girls that plays hard and are surprising a lot of people

5. Knott - Need to figure out how to play together
I wouldn't be depending on someone getting eligible to determine my teams success. Work with what ya got. Never know how the KHSAA is gonna vote.
Patriot train Wrote:We have some good parity among the 14th region teams, which will allow for a shakeup in the rankings every week. Hazard needs to figure out that when the press is not working, they need to make an adjustment and stop doing it. Leslie beat the press so easily, but struggled against the zone that Wolfe put on them.

As of today:
1. Wolfe - All A Champs

2. Leslie - need to figure out how to beat the zone, and it's not jacking up 3's

3.Hazard - Needs to not press all of the time, and when they get mullins eligible it will make a huge difference

4. Owsley - Young group of girls that plays hard and are surprising a lot of people

5. Knott - Need to figure out how to play together

Letcher Central is also a team that could be a factor but I haven’t seen them play.
Region is wide open.
I’ve said that since before the season started.
Any of the top 7 or 8 teams could beat anyone on a given night.
I still think Knott,Leslie,Hazard, Letcher has the most talented teams.
I think Wolfe and Owsley have the 2 teams that play the hardest.
Wolfe and Owsley are teams that could beat 1,2,3 and then turn around and lose to a 8,9,10

That’s just how the region is this year. In years past it wasn’t what way. But this year, I would say that of the 8 teams that make it to the region. 6 of the 8 could win the whole thing.
I've been saying since the preseason that Wolfe was very underrated. I had them as a top 5, really a top 3 team in the region. Everyone had them outside the top 10 and now I look up and they are No. 1. How bout that. From 10 to 1 in basically one weekend. I also said they would beat Owsley which they did, twice, each by 10 points. And Owsley is way better than I thought they would be. I've been preaching it for a while now boys, glad to see the Lady Wolves came through for me.
[Image:

]

Bolz, after a film session, we figured out that the ole feet weren't moving to good against the owlz. Honeycutta making all kinds of changes and we will have the short bus overhauled real freakin soon. I love Magz like a mutha, but I told Honeycutta that ole fatpat can't handle a basketball season like the football team had, wowza!

#timetorethink More mash taters please!!!
Another team that’s 11-5 and could be put in a category of beating anyone on a given night is Powell County.

Basically when one breaks down the 14th region and takes a good evaluation of all the teams it’s soon apparent that it is by far the weakest region in the state. Owsley County played in a Christmas tournament in central Tennessee that was mostly 3-A size schools and there were at least 3 teams from Tennessee in that tournament that would walk through the girls 14th region without raising a sweat. The first team and the second team Owsley played both hit 10 three pointers. They had what it takes: shooters, size, quickness and depth.

With that said, however, someone has to win it so it will be fun and interesting to see how it plays out.
friday night could be interesting for the 53rd as knott and letcher central battle it out @ KCC. could show who’s at the top of the 14th along with owsley and leslie
hoopsdude20 Wrote:friday night could be interesting for the 53rd as knott and letcher central battle it out @ KCC. could show who’s at the top of the 14th along with owsley and leslie
...” and Wolfe.”
They are 14-4 and just won the 14th Region All A. Hard to exclude them.
hoopsdude20 Wrote:friday night could be interesting for the 53rd as knott and letcher central battle it out @ KCC. could show who’s at the top of the 14th along with owsley and leslie

Once again, Wolfe just beat Owsley by double digits for the 2nd time in a week and beat leslie by 10 the following day. Really hard to understand how you put those teams ahead of them. Owsley and Wolfe have played 64 minutes of basketball and Wolfe has lead basically 62 of the 64.
How can you have breathitt Owsley and Lesley in there and not Wolfe when they beat breathitt and Owsley twice and Lesley for the all A championship