Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Baseball 2019
Gunner Collins!!!!
The boys coming back from Ashland already has a full release from Ashland so with that being said getting them eligible will be no problem, along with the fact the live in Paintsville and have their whole lives
But 3 of them played varsity last year, wouldn’t that make them ineligible, even without a change of address?
Paintsville already has all 3 boys listed on their 2019 roster, so they must of been cleared to play.

This makes sense, Ashland was looking a little weak this year and Paintsville has a better than average chance to win the region again, but time will tell, and this would be Braxton's best and last shot to make it to Lexington for the state tournament.

Walt Crace demands hard work from his players but I'm sure he doesn't mind a little bit of good luck and fortune coming his way either.

These kids grew up playing Paintsville baseball and Gunner, Braxton and Baron all seem to be a great kids, so what's the problem with them coming home?

I never really understood why they went to Ashland, other than Johnny being the coach, but I'm sure there was a good reason.
How in the world are they eligible?!? They played varsity baseball last year in another district. I don’t understand. According to KHSAA I don’t know how it’s possible.
Yustacould Wrote:How in the world are they eligible?!? They played varsity baseball last year in another district. I don’t understand. According to KHSAA I don’t know how it’s possible.
It’s easy to understand. First of all the only one of them that was in high school last year was Braxton. All the others were middle schoolers. So Brax would be the only issue. But if Ashland releases him and says it’s perfectly fine if he transfers back to Paintsville then there really isn’t an issue. The issue occurs when a school throws a fit then you have to jump thru hoops to get eligible. In this case he met all criteria to attend PHS and Ashland pretty much said here take him, please lol. So now he’s at PHS and playing varsity baseball for them.
It is not that simple. There is no way they have already been cleared. If so, KHSAA will have to allow every transfer this expedited process.
If you don't think these kids will be playing for Paintsville this year, I really just feel sorry for you. I can not think of ANY transfer into Paintsville that was ruled ineligible.

They will play, in all games, and the region will be a battle just like every year.

Pikeville will compete from year 1. Heard it here first.
Well, KHSAA also says that if they played any varsity sport, that they are ineligible until a year to the day of the last time they were on a field or court. The two younger boys played varsity football this year. I’m positive that the younger Ratliff played, I think the older Collins played, not too sure on that though. So if that were the case, they wouldn’t be eligible until a year tonthe day of their last varsity football appearance. According to KHSAA on the Ashland Blazer football site, all 3 played at least one game during the season.
And furthermore, Ashland “releasing” them has nothing to do with them being allowed to play. This is not the NCAA. It makes no difference if another school releases them.
Yustacould Wrote:Well, KHSAA also says that if they played any varsity sport, that they are ineligible until a year to the day of the last time they were on a field or court. The two younger boys played varsity football this year. I’m positive that the younger Ratliff played, I think the older Collins played, not too sure on that though. So if that were the case, they wouldn’t be eligible until a year tonthe day of their last varsity football appearance. According to KHSAA on the Ashland Blazer football site, all 3 played at least one game during the season.

So if you had your way, these kids wouldn’t play?
They shouldn’t play this year according to KHSAA. KHSAA mandates that they sit out one year.
The KHSAA and how they enforce their rules is a joke, and I don’t have a dog in this fight but these kids are just coming back home, also there may be more to this story than we know. I think it’s a crappy deal when a kid transfers within the same district or region but these boys are leaving the 16th and coming home to the 15th and their hometown... let the boys play.
Should be a fun year in the 15th. I have Lawrence County winning the whole thing.
LC will have the pitching, but they lost their left side of the infield. I don't think Lawrence county's defense will be very good this year. They do have 2 good pitchers though. Plus
I don't see them scoring many runs against good teams
like us and JC. They lost their Big hitters last year. We will see.
I know Braxton has been a force on the football field for Ashland the last few years, but does anyone have his baseball numbers? I haven’t kept up with him on the baseball diamond.
Yustacould Wrote:They shouldn’t play this year according to KHSAA. KHSAA mandates that they sit out one year.

BallFan1952 Wrote:The KHSAA and how they enforce their rules is a joke, and I don’t have a dog in this fight but these kids are just coming back home, also there may be more to this story than we know. I think it’s a crappy deal when a kid transfers within the same district or region but these boys are leaving the 16th and coming home to the 15th and their hometown... let the boys play.

You guys are only reading the first line in the transfer rule. There are several “Discretionary Exceptions” to the transfer rules. For example, Bona Fide Address Change, Divorce, loss of athletic programs at previous school, change of custody, death, etc. In this case, as long as they had an address change prior to enrolling at Paintsville, they will be eligible.

What I think you are referring to is if somebody transfers schools and still lives in a different county. If his grandsons all lived in Ashland and tried to transfer to Paintsville then it would be an issue.
^ I’m confused about what you’re saying...
I said let the boys play.

I think I understand the bona fide address change rule, but what I not sure about is who those boys were living with and where they were living.

I’m pretty sure Craig Ratliff was a teacher at Ashland Blazer HS, but not sure if he may be changing jobs and schools? I also don’t know where the Ratliff family was living in Ashland or Paintsville?

I also don’t know where the Collins family was living?

I think Dr. Brandi Collins has a medical practice in Paintsville and they may have 2 houses, 1 in Ashland and 1 in Paintsville ?

I not sure where Johnny was living and he may of had 2 houses too.

This is where it gets fuzzy for me, if 2 of the boys were in middle school last year but played varsity baseball, then played football as a freshman does playing varsity football mess them up for baseball at Paintsville?

I would think everything would be different for Braxton than his brother Baron and his cousin Gunner. Being a senior there is no way for Braxton to sit out a year.

This is going to be a hard one to figure out but if they meet the minimum requirements to transfer then let the boys play....

I don’t feel they are trying to play football at one school and baseball at a different school.
Is it be possible that some of the boys will get cleared and some not cleared?
I would like someone to explain, using KHSAA rules, as to how they could be eligible. It doesn’t matter if there is no address change. If a player lives in Boyd County and plays for Ashland and has a BC address, then transfers to Boyd Co, he’s still ineligible because he played a high school sport for the previous school. The rule states that that player would have to sit out a year... just saying.
Tigersfan Wrote:LC will have the pitching, but they lost their left side of the infield. I don't think Lawrence county's defense will be very good this year. They do have 2 good pitchers though. Plus
I don't see them scoring many runs against good teams
like us and JC. They lost their Big hitters last year. We will see.

Knowledge is a virtue.....Confusednicker:

LC lost a couple really good bats, but do you realize that they are returning 6 of their top 9 hitters?

They have "2 good pitchers"? Really? Just 2? Interesting. Because a team that won 30 games last year with a pretty good schedule with just "2 pitchers" must have had a bunch of great senior arms, right? Oh, but LC's pitching staff was nothing but underclassman....so how's that possible them if they only had "2 good pitchers"?

I think you are just a bit misinformed.
Everyone is focused on Paintsville and these players transferring from Ashland. Let me ask the major question: What did Ashland do in the 16th when they had these players? Nothing. How are these players suddenly going to put Paintsville on top?
All I know is that Lc lost a lot of Power. Between Parks,Cyrus and the older Fairchild they had 14 Hrs between them. And you say you have 6 of the Top hitters back. Well that is true, but only 3 of the 6 are legit and from the stats I seen the rest are 200 and under. what about their defense, I guess they are better than last year too lol. Pitching, yes Fairchild and Blevin are Awesome, but the rest is not even close to them. We are young too.We will see.
Yustacould Wrote:I would like someone to explain, using KHSAA rules, as to how they could be eligible. It doesn’t matter if there is no address change. If a player lives in Boyd County and plays for Ashland and has a BC address, then transfers to Boyd Co, he’s still ineligible because he played a high school sport for the previous school. The rule states that that player would have to sit out a year... just saying.

So by that logic if a player’s family moved from Paducah, Ky to Phelps, Ky they would only be eligible in Paducah? Address change out of district matters.

It is still a 4 horse race in the region. Paintsville, Pikeville, JCHS, LCHS. This helps the roster for Paintsville, but this ain’t exactly 1990.
2000PHS Wrote:So by that logic if a player’s family moved from Paducah, Ky to Phelps, Ky they would only be eligible in Paducah? Address change out of district matters.

It is still a 4 horse race in the region. Paintsville, Pikeville, JCHS, LCHS. This helps the roster for Paintsville, but this ain’t exactly 1990.

Remember the situation with Kash Daniel and Pikeville? And that wasn't even a midyear change.
^ am I correct to say that, even with a physical address change, the KHSAA transfer form has to be completed and the ineligibility period MAY be waived? Meaning, it's not like you just move and that's that... right?
No, the rule states that a physical change of address would be acceptable. However, in this case, no change of address was done. They have always had the same address, but commuted back and forth, while playing for a different district.
Yustacould Wrote:No, the rule states that a physical change of address would be acceptable. However, in this case, no change of address was done. They have always had the same address, but commuted back and forth, while playing for a different district.

So if they move to Ashland they can play in Paintsville? Haha
Bob Seger Wrote:Remember the situation with Kash Daniel and Pikeville? And that wasn't even a midyear change.

Kash had a sibling that was going to stay in Paintsville, that ended the transfer.
Tigersfan Wrote:All I know is that Lc lost a lot of Power. Between Parks,Cyrus and the older Fairchild they had 14 Hrs between them. And you say you have 6 of the Top hitters back. Well that is true, but only 3 of the 6 are legit and from the stats I seen the rest are 200 and under. what about their defense, I guess they are better than last year too lol. Pitching, yes Fairchild and Blevin are Awesome, but the rest is not even close to them. We are young too.We will see.

Stats? What stats? Those imaginary ones don't count either. Trust me, the "rest" were not "under .200". Tyler Maynard, Feltner, Roe, CJ Fairlchild.....all were between .350-.400 hitters last year.

And explain to me again how if LC just had those two stud pitchers that they were able to win 30 games last year playing a very good schedule?