Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Cold for School
When did this become a thing?
It has had happened a few times the last few years. It seems to be the talk of social media especially since our governor commented on it.
Our school bus never had heat, waitin outside 10-20 minutes for it in freezing weather . Idk how many DR visits this caused but Kudos to the schools for closing. If you can ice skate on the floor of the school bus it’s to cold .
And yet people managed to get to school for the last 200+ years until recently. Many walked to school. Now the bus isn't good enough. I have thought this for several years, adults want the day off...
Wonder how many of the students stayed home
jetpilot Wrote:And yet people managed to get to school for the last 200+ years until recently. Many walked to school. Now the bus isn't good enough. I have thought this for several years, adults want the day off...
Adults must be prudent in the court of law
UKisN1 Wrote:Adults must be prudent in the court of law

Valid point. But ultimately parents are responsible for the safety of their kids. If they think the bus might be too cold drive little Johnny to school. Or keep him home where he can be at 72 degrees 24/7.
I think UKisN1 has a very valid point. Our society unfortunately is very litigious, and it is amazing at some of the legal decisions that have been handed down over the years. Also, social media has played a role in this. In the past when temperatures reached these levels, we would throw on an extra layer and go about our day and not give it a second thought. Now we are reminded continuously throughout our day about how cold it is so we are constantly thinking about it. Social media also gives everyone a voice to the masses and once someone states that it is to cold to have school it is dead and reposted many times. This does have an effect on decisions made by school boards, IMO.
Amazes me that the districts that called off yesterday for cold, went to school today (when its colder than yesterday)
Westside Wrote:I think UKisN1 has a very valid point. Our society unfortunately is very litigious, and it is amazing at some of the legal decisions that have been handed down over the years. Also, social media has played a role in this. In the past when temperatures reached these levels, we would throw on an extra layer and go about our day and not give it a second thought. Now we are reminded continuously throughout our day about how cold it is so we are constantly thinking about it. Social media also gives everyone a voice to the masses and once someone states that it is to cold to have school it is dead and reposted many times. This does have an effect on decisions made by school boards, IMO.

You also used to have the excuse that if left at home, they would just be outside playing in the snow anyways.....but see kids dont go outside and play anymore so no longer a valid argument.
It's 19 right now and high today is 32. Anyone trying to tell me there shouldn't be school is wasting their breath.
jetpilot Wrote:It's 19 right now and high today is 32. Anyone trying to tell me there shouldn't be school is wasting their breath.

Its 2 degrees right now here.
plantmanky Wrote:Its 2 degrees right now here.

So? How many businesses are shut down?
Put a kid on a sled or ice skates when it's 2 degrees and he's the happiest kid on Earth. Put him on a school bus and not so much. Confusednicker:
IMO as a whole each generation in our country is getting softer and softer.
Westside Wrote:IMO as a whole each generation in our country is getting softer and softer.

Absolutely no question about it Westy. And more entitled.
Blizzard of 78 was epic. We neighborhood kids were able to play hockey on our street. Amazing what a good hose and single digit temps can do to smooth a surface after already flash freezing inches of rain.

The parents applauded!

We also built igloos which literally required our parents pulling us out of at 10p because they were concerned about frost bite. Thanks to our boy scout buds we had vented the ceilings and literally had small camp fires. Oh to be a kid again. We were resourceful, didn't complain much, fought each other and learned to get along at the end of the day and are that much better for it.

Today kids want to let everyone know they have a ball to play with it and not share it with others unless by their rules. I began to see this back in the 80s. In the 70s we shared everything, sought what ever means necessary to find that extra football, baseball, tennis ball, basketball, can to continue the activity if someone decided to take their ball home or we hit it into the wrong yard.

Times have certainly changed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
There's been 2 college students literally freeze to death and 18 people have frozen to death in the last week. It's not about being soft, it's about common sense. Just because people were too stupid to realize things hurt them in the past doesn't mean we should keep doing it.

We live in one of the poorest states in the country. There are many students that can't afford warm clothing and have to walk to school, or their bus for extended periods of time. Not sure why it gets people worked up that students stay home a day or two because of record extremes.
Motley Wrote:There's been 2 college students literally freeze to death and 18 people have frozen to death in the last week. It's not about being soft, it's about common sense. Just because people were too stupid to realize things hurt them in the past doesn't mean we should keep doing it.

We live in one of the poorest states in the country. There are many students that can't afford warm clothing and have to walk to school, or their bus for extended periods of time. Not sure why it gets people worked up that students stay home a day or two because of record extremes.

Maybe because schools in EKy have lowest test scores in the nation.
Also nowhere near record extremes. Plus lots of schools were off with temps in 30s and 40s. Plus no one has ever froze to death on a school bus in history of EKy.
jetpilot Wrote:Maybe because schools in EKy have lowest test scores in the nation.
Also nowhere near record extremes. Plus lots of schools were off with temps in 30s and 40s. Plus no one has ever froze to death on a school bus in history of EKy.

I think having the lowest test scores in the nation goes far beyond school being out a day or two for cold weather. The entire country just went through near record extremes. Factor in the wind chill and they were easily some of the coldest temperatures we've seen. I can't speak for any temperatures in the 40's as the high in Lexington last Wednesday/Thursday didn't break 30 degrees.

I never said anybody froze to death on a school bus. Hence, why I mentioned a lack of clothing for kids in poverty while walking to the bus/school, or waiting for the bus.

18 deaths. 2 of which were students. It's cold. Not that big of a deal to be better safe than sorry.
Motley Wrote:There's been 2 college students literally freeze to death and 18 people have frozen to death in the last week. It's not about being soft, it's about common sense. Just because people were too stupid to realize things hurt them in the past doesn't mean we should keep doing it.

Where did college kids freeze to death and what were the circumstances?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Spirit100 Wrote:Where did college kids freeze to death and what were the circumstances?

I found these two links.

The Iowa student was found outside at a time when classes HAD BEEN CANCELLED. Neither article gives very many details about either incident. With the Vermont student it stated he was wearing inadequate clothing. It was a -1 degree.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/col...3c1f11ab60

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...death.html

When I was going to EKU in the Mid 90's the administration issues a statement that classes would never be çancelled due to snow, ice ,etc. I never gave it a second thought. That has obviously changed. I was known for wearing shorts regardless of the temperature. I don't do it as much in public anymore because both my lower legs are covered in scars below my knees and people tend to stare at them. I was out everyday this past week during the polar vortex before 7 am in shirts and a tshirt. I was usually out there for about 15 minutes. I survived.
I can see the school's side of things. If the roads are wet and the temperature stays below 32 then the roads will be iced. The school's aren't gonna take a chance on sending buses out or have kids drive themselves to school, have an accident and be in a lawsuit with the parents.
Strikeout King Wrote:I can see the school's side of things. If the roads are wet and the temperature stays below 32 then the roads will be iced. The school's aren't gonna take a chance on sending buses out or have kids drive themselves to school, have an accident and be in a lawsuit with the parents.

Road conditions are a whole other topic.
It's winter...whether you are 8 or 20 yrs old socks, a hat, gloves, and decent coat with layers has allowed we humans to survive for years. It's an amazing concept.

Exercise common sense and don't be a moron. If kids were subjected to long term exposure 15 mins or more and were in poor, ill equipped districts when temps were below zero and wind chills were in the teens I have no problem with school being called off.

I'm guessing weather is the least of their worries if Mom and Dad cannot adequately dress their kid/s.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Westside Wrote:I found these two links.

The Iowa student was found outside at a time when classes HAD BEEN CANCELLED. Neither article gives very many details about either incident. With the Vermont student it stated he was wearing inadequate clothing. It was a -1 degree.

When I was going to EKU in the Mid 90's the administration issues a statement that classes would never be çancelled due to snow, ice ,etc. I never gave it a second thought. That has obviously changed. I was known for wearing shorts regardless of the temperature. I don't do it as much in public anymore because both my lower legs are covered in scars below my knees and people tend to stare at them. I was out everyday this past week during the polar vortex before 7 am in shirts and a tshirt. I was usually out there for about 15 minutes. I survived.

So they upon their own free will made bad decisions and were not adequately dressed. So both of them would be alive today if they had exercised common sense and not put themselves in these scenarios. SAD!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Westside Wrote:I found these two links.

So they upon their own free will made bad decisions and were not adequately dressed. So both of them would be alive today if they had exercised common sense and not put themselves in these scenarios. SAD!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
jetpilot Wrote:Maybe because schools in EKy have lowest test scores in the nation.

Incorrect. Jefferson and Fayette have your lowest testing schools. They just happen to have so many that some place in the top 50.

Harlan Pike and Floyd all have schools that place in the top 50 year after year . False stereotype. With not even half the funding im sure.
Floyd got caught cheating so throw them out. Not a stereotype at all that county schools test poorly. Have no idea what you mean by half the funding. Please provide a link? In other news no school last week for whatever reason and no school this week due to ground being soggy.
jetpilot Wrote:Floyd got caught cheating so throw them out. Not a stereotype at all that county schools test poorly. Have no idea what you mean by half the funding. Please provide a link? In other news no school last week for whatever reason and no school this week due to ground being soggy.

I have a few stories I could share about cheating in Floyd County, but choose not to. I have taught in three different school districts and only in Floyd County did I see teaching on state testing, and the cheating was wide spread.