Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In Memory - Harry Rex Vonner
I wanted to take the opportunity to make this thread in memory of one of our great members on here, Harry Rex Vonner, who frequented the political forum and had a great deal of respect from so many on this site. He didn't post on here for a while before he passed and even though he passed away back in November, I was absent from this site for personal reasons and upon coming back I feel that due to so many on here enjoying his posts that his BGR family needed to know about this happening. HRV impacted so many people in his community including myself and I would like to share my experience.

I knew HRV, Don Frailie, outside of BGR. His wife Karen (Who sadly lost her life to cancer in 2006) taught me in English when I was in middle school and it would be my sophomore year of college that I would have Don. In addition to him being a professor in accounting, he was a CPA and also a lawyer. I learned so much from Don having had him for my introductory accounting course and a personal finance course both on the accounting end and about life. He often expressed concern about the educational arenas on here in how professors were teaching on their topics based strictly on having only a degree in the particular field and not having actual experience in it. When he posted about that on BGR I agreed because I always thought back to how he actually had experience in his field and how much I was able to apply what he taught in class. Don utilized his experience in accounting and law to teach his students the things that really needed to be taught and as a result his students learned what they really needed to know. You would think with how often he let us out of class early or the smaller workload we had that we wouldn't have learned a lot. Instead his method had a great impact because he focused on strictly the things we needed to know in the real world and not a bunch of academic jumbo. Having chosen a career path in accounting I see how much he taught that we truly needed to know. I learned more in Don's class than I did in many of the other accounting courses I took because I actually had to apply what he taught in my career. Most of my other courses just involved complex math that had no real world application. He was passionate about his students succeeding both in and out of the classroom and always took the time to be a mentor for them. He continued to keep in touch with his students after they had him and was always enthusiastic about their accomplishments.

While he succeeded in his accounting, legal, and teaching career, it was nothing compared to what he did in his community. This his was such an honorable man that valued life from conception to death and I will tell you also about one of the recent projects he did. He would regularly visit his wife's grave as well as two nephews who passed away at birth. While visiting he noticed several graves for babies that were unmarked. Don personally made sure that each of those unmarked graves had a headstone. He did this all himself and despite the willingness of many who got behind the project he everything himself and declined donations to the cause.

I am going to include a well-written article here which shows some of the great things he did over the course of his life. Don was a Christian and one of the few that actually had the guts to speak up and say that right is right and wrong is wrong. I hope that quality will continue to live on in those who were impacted by him. Don, we love and miss you brother!

https://www.dailyindependent.com/news/do...ceeb6.html
I did a memorial thread on him too Wide. It wasn't as in depth as your's because I didn't know him as well as you did. But I knew him well enough to know he was a wonderful and passionate man.

I miss him too!!
I just went to your thread Granny, touching tribute by you and TRT!