Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trinity 70 Johnson Central 28 (Sweet 16 First Round)
Final from Rupp Arena.
JC was totally overwhelmed by Trinity’s athleticism. I’m sure you could ask the players and coaches and they would be disappointed to only put up 28 points and lose by 42 even with Trinity being so good. That was for sure not their best effort and the moment may have got to them a little bit.

Saying all of that this team has nothing to hang it’s head about. They had a fantastic season and played some great basketball in the post season. Just getting a chance to play at Rupp is a memory they will have forever. Congrats to the seniors on finishing their careers right with a regional championship after 3 straight runners up. Go Golden Eagles!
Ouch, 13th and 15th
Wasn't our best performance by any stretch of the imagination....... but if you're gonna take a 40+ point loss might as well do it at the Sweet 16.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
I wonder if PR and the boys say they got cheated???
Wow!!!!
AnswertheBell Wrote:Ouch, 13th and 15th

Not a good showing for them at all, hopefully the 14th and 16th fare a little better.
28 points ? That has to be the all time lowest scoring in a state tournament game :igiveup:
The 14th & 16th both have tough games. Overall this has been the worst year for teams in the mountains in along time. The 14th couldn’t keep a team in the Mountain Top 10 consistently and that is just teams in the 13, 14, & 15 regions.
There was a great difference in athleticism between Trinity and JC. Trinity will be tough to beat.
Budsqueezer Wrote:I wonder if PR and the boys say they got cheated???

Why? Was They wanting paintsville to make it to rupp?
TigerBlues Wrote:28 points ? That has to be the all time lowest scoring in a state tournament game :igiveup:

Not sure if the one here I'm thinking of is the all time lowest, but Russell put up 27 points in 2006.
Mabe jc shouldn’t been alowed to play since they ain’t no good and just take top 4 teams

Since everyone bash football6 classes and playoff hen do same for stupid basketball
WideRight05 Wrote:Not sure if the one here I'm thinking of is the all time lowest, but Russell put up 27 points in 2006.

Correct. Russell lost to Graves Co. 42-27 that season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Johnson Central should have many opportunities to make it back to Rupp Arena as long as Tommy McKenzie is there. I know some may point to the fact Johnson Central is one of the biggest, if not the biggest school in the 15th Region, but McKenzie has been the coach who has used the numbers to his advantage to build the Golden Eagles into the most consistent team in the 15th. They return a lot next season so I wouldnt be surprised to see them back at Rupp Arena this time next season.
Ouch, some much for the talk of them beating T, a task few could do but they didn't seem like they belonged today
It was painful to listen to.
I left this game right before halftime, It was bad, but hadn’t got this bad. Johnson Central couldn’t have scored double digits in the second half if this was the final score? Does anyone know how many they scored second half? Did Trinity leave their tops guys in the whole time? I would have prob played my second string and saved my guys legs for next round..Vanhoose for JC played well what time I was there to watch..He stood out the most to me
JC scored 9 points the entire 2nd half. Trinity put in their bench about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

JOHNSON CENTRAL 7 12 6 3
TRINITY 24 11 23 12
While 15th Region teams continue to perform well in Football, Baseball, etc......it's a simple truth...….15th Region basketball is by far the weakest Region in the state year in, year out.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:While 15th Region teams continue to perform well in Football, Baseball, etc......it's a simple truth...….15th Region basketball is by far the weakest Region in the state year in, year out.

Pikeville beat a 4A John Hardin who won 28 games in the Sweet 16 last year...
jetpilot Wrote:Pikeville beat a 4A John Hardin who won 28 games in the Sweet 16 last year...

Gonna have an outlier every now and then. No doubt Pikeville was very good last year. However....historically....the 15th has been TERRIBLE.....and we all know it
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Gonna have an outlier every now and then. No doubt Pikeville was very good last year. However....historically....the 15th has been TERRIBLE.....and we all know it

Just not the weakest in the state by far year in, year out
jetpilot Wrote:Just not the weakest in the state by far year in, year out

Honestly.....I think the 15th is the weakest year in, year out. Pains me to type that.....but I believe it’s accurate. I see a ton of teams from around the state where I live. The overall play in the 15th is several steps below par. Again...not saying you won’t have a team like Pikeville or Shelby Valley a few years ago , make a good showing in the tourney. But that’s not typically the case.
^ You're dead on OutlawJoseyWales, if one was to take a look back over the years I'd imagine you can see the 15th is by far the weakest region in the state year in and year out. It's a rare occasion for a team from the 15th to win A GAME at the Sweet 16.

I've heard all week at work how JC was going to go to the state tournament this year and play with Trinity... they were just that good, 42 point loss later... I think we all knew that wasn't going to happen.
There is a thread here on region wins since 1998. 15th is in the bottom half. But not last.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:15th Region basketball is by far the weakest Region in the state year in, year out.

Creeker Wrote:I'd imagine you can see the 15th is by far the weakest region in the state year in and year out. It's a rare occasion for a team from the 15th to win A GAME at the Sweet 16.

jetpilot Wrote:Just not the weakest in the state by far year in, year out

Panther Thunder Wrote:There is a thread here on region wins since 1998. 15th is in the bottom half. But not last.

I also disagree that the 15th is the weakest region every year. Like Panther Thunder pointed out, there is another thread on here that lists Sweet Sixteen wins wince 1998. With 12 wins in that time frame, the 15th region sits at 12th overall out of 16. Not great, but clearly also not the worst. The other mountain regions are all behind them, with the 13th and 14th both in dead last with only 6 wins each.

The 15th also owns 2 state titles in the last 25 years, Paintsville in 1996 and Shelby Valley in 2010. Better than what many other regions can claim.

(I'm actually agreeing with jetpilot here, the apocalypse must be upon us, lol.)
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ Good points, weak, but maybe not exactly the weakest. I stand corrected. I guess, the reality of it is, it truly is the luck of the draw. Most years, the 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, isn't going to beat a Trinity, Scott Co. or the like.
More Cowbell Wrote:I also disagree that the 15th is the weakest region every year. Like Panther Thunder pointed out, there is another thread on here that lists Sweet Sixteen wins wince 1998. With 12 wins in that time frame, the 15th region sits at 12th overall out of 16. Not great, but clearly also not the worst. The other mountain regions are all behind them, with the 13th and 14th both in dead last with only 6 wins each.

The 15th also owns 2 state titles in the last 25 years, Paintsville in 1996 and Shelby Valley in 2010. Better than what many other regions can claim.

(I'm actually agreeing with jetpilot here, the apocalypse must be upon us, lol.)

For reference:
Shelby Valley- 4 (All in 2010)
Paintsville- 4 (3 in 1998, 1 in 2008)
Johnson Central- 2 (2000 & ?? -Fairly recent)
Pikeville- 2 (1999 & 2018)

This biggest argument to be made would be that 7 of those wins came in two years. 1998 & 2010.

Since 2010, Pikeville & Johnson Central each have a win.
Certainly some good points. Good debate....hate that it's about how weak the 15th is though. Basketball was much more competitive in the 15th back in the 80's and early 90"s.