Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019-20 13th Region
roundball247 Wrote:Clay has to be the favorite going in next year. Robinson kid is really good and those kids have been playing together for a while.
North will also be hungry and will likely be ready to take the next step.

Not sure an edge to HC makes any sense in 52nd. They lost to M'boro to end the season and 3 of their last four games, lose most of their scoring and will have zero people to guard the Kyle kid. Bench players saw limited meaningful action. I would pick Middlesboro and then the rest is a toss up. Bell and Harlan Co. was picked ahead of Harlan City and M'bor was now where to be found last year and we see how that ended up at the end of the season. This district will likely be a toss up again. Of course, coaching changes and player personnel changes will impact all of the projections.

South should repeat as District Champs in the 50th. Corbin will have some work to do, they will be down the next couple years and will certainly be suspect on any given night.

Middlesboro was 6th in the region in the Cats Pause coming into the season. Bell was 7th.
Harlan County loses 28 ppg to graduation and brings back Spurlock, Cole, Smith, Wilson and Huff among those who saw consistent action
Middlesboro loses 36 ppg to graduation and brings back Kyle, Brock, Patterson and Davis among those who saw consistent action
Bell loses 30 ppg
Harlan loses about 36 ppg
I should have said Spurlock, Cole, Smith, Wilson, Turner and Huff for HCHS
Top 2 teams in the 13th 2019/20

North Laurel and South Laurel :worthy:
HCS Wrote:Middlesboro was 6th in the region in the Cats Pause coming into the season. Bell was 7th.
Harlan County loses 28 ppg to graduation and brings back Spurlock, Cole, Smith, Wilson and Huff among those who saw consistent action
Middlesboro loses 36 ppg to graduation and brings back Kyle, Brock, Patterson and Davis among those who saw consistent action
Bell loses 30 ppg
Harlan loses about 36 ppg

The real question is will HC lose a Head Coach?
Is Harlan County’s coach looking to go somewhere else?
I been hearing HC coach may be gone even before regionals
In what universe does Clay have to be the favorite next year? They may win it all next year but so far have accomplished nothing. North knocked them out of the district without their best player so injuries surely can’t be an excuse
Northside pride Wrote:In what universe does Clay have to be the favorite next year? They may win it all next year but so far have accomplished nothing. North knocked them out of the district without their best player so injuries surely can’t be an excuse

Sounds like what people said when I picked Knox to win this time last year. What happened last year doesn't get you any points next year. You could make a great case for North, South or Clay.
Strong rumor that a team in the 13th region is getting ready to make a strong run at Coach Morris. Might just be talk. Has anyone else heard this? It would hurt Middlesboro if someone were to steal him. Like I said it might just be talk but I have heard it difference places. He has made a huge turn around in a short time. The Boro better watch out.
Pineville and OBI are the only open jobs. Where would he be possibly going?
It’s not either one of those schools. No on has commented on it so may be nothing to it. Hope he stays at Middlesboro. I have heard he just sold his house so it probably just speculation.
Selling his home has given flexibility however according to him that is not why he sold it. Obviously going home may be on his mind but that would take HC acting on the problems there. Who knows, I think he stays here. Moves to Tn. and coaches at MHS
Just because a school comes after Coach Morris does not mean he would take job. I think he is happy in Middlesboro.
Morris should have another strong team this year with that real good guard Kyle and Brock. I’d say he will be staying.
I’m hoping Bell will get some more football kids out! That would help us.
If we want to get any kids out we need a new coach.
They didn't make it out of the district last 2 year's and wouldn't have 3 years ago if that one kid hadn't took that charge at the end of the Jackson Co game. They was beat then.
Allcity33 Wrote:Who will be the top players and teams?

Players( im sure I am forgetting a few)

Reed Sheppard- North
Cole Kelly- North
Ryan Davidson(Reed’s cousin)- North
Connor Robinson- Clay
Jacob Curry- Clay
Connor Farmer- Clay
Matthew Cromer- South
Akal- Harlan
Slaht Hunter- Williamsburg
Caleb Rose- Williamsburg
Shawn Vaughn- Barbourville
Matthew Taylor- Corbin
Zach Patterson- Knox
Javonte Turner- Knox
Tay Tay Turner- Knox
London Stephney- Bell
Isiah Alexander- North

Teams

North- Should be the favorite with Reed Sheppard, Kelly, Alexander
South- Lose Ramey but return Cromer/Anders/Norvell/Hostettler
Clay- Return whole team from last year
Knox- Lose the big 3 but get back former starter Tay Turner, Javonte Turner, Zach Patterson. Freshman group won region this season.
Williamsburg- Return the dynamic duo of Rose and Hunter.
Corbin will have an 8th grader that should start. Curly headed boy. Stewart I think. Played with Sheppard on a travel ball team. Saw him play in NC this weekend. Kid can play
Corbin always finds a way to be good even when it don’t look like they will be. They will be at least a top 5 team.
ArJay Wrote:Corbin always finds a way to be good even when it don’t look like they will be. They will be at least a top 5 team.

Corbin's starting 5 will probably be:
G - Hibbits (Jr)
G - Hicks (Sr)
F - Taylor (Sr)
F - Byrley (Sr)
C - Allen (So)

Taylor and Byrley both started this past season. Hibbits and Hicks both came off the bench. Allen is the big freshman who got a little time here and there. I would think Barnes, Stewart (8th Grader next year), Barnett, and Davenport would all be bench guys who would see time.
Superfly Wrote:Corbin will have an 8th grader that should start. Curly headed boy. Stewart I think. Played with Sheppard on a travel ball team. Saw him play in NC this weekend. Kid can play

Clay will also most likely have the best pivot in the 13th in Langdon.
Allcity33 Wrote:Who will be the top players and teams?

Players( im sure I am forgetting a few)

Reed Sheppard- North
Cole Kelly- North
Ryan Davidson(Reed’s cousin)- North
Connor Robinson- Clay
Jacob Curry- Clay
Connor Farmer- Clay
Matthew Cromer- South
Akal- Harlan
Slaht Hunter- Williamsburg
Caleb Rose- Williamsburg
Shawn Vaughn- Barbourville
Matthew Taylor- Corbin
Zach Patterson- Knox
Javonte Turner- Knox
Tay Tay Turner- Knox
London Stephney- Bell
Isiah Alexander- North

Teams

North- Should be the favorite with Reed Sheppard, Kelly, Alexander
South- Lose Ramey but return Cromer/Anders/Norvell/Hostettler
Clay- Return whole team from last year
Knox- Lose the big 3 but get back former starter Tay Turner, Javonte Turner, Zach Patterson. Freshman group won region this season.
Williamsburg- Return the dynamic duo of Rose and Hunter.

Clay will have what I think will be the best pivot in the 13th next year in Evan Langdon.
Clay should be at or towards the top simply because they had a good team and didn’t lose a player. I’d say them and North and South and Knox and Corbin will be at the top.
Lots of talk of coaches leaving but I think OBI and Pineville are still the only jobs open. I am guessing Jones will be back at Harlan County. I think Smith will be back with us at Bell.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Corbin's starting 5 will probably be:
G - Hibbits (Jr)
G - Hicks (Sr)
F - Taylor (Sr)
F - Byrley (Sr)
C - Allen (So)

Taylor and Byrley both started this past season. Hibbits and Hicks both came off the bench. Allen is the big freshman who got a little time here and there. I would think Barnes, Stewart (8th Grader next year), Barnett, and Davenport would all be bench guys who would see time.

Corbin will be competitive and one of the top teams at end of year. You can never count out Coach P. In my opinion, the Stewart kid (8th grader next year) is a much better all-round player and will move into starting lineup. He is really good n making a name for himself on AAU circuit.
Byrley n Allen are big but need to work on offense with back to goal and defensive quickness.
If boro gets another transfer from Bell this summer they will be in the driver's seat again!
Good gracious I hope not. We are getting a better coach. I would think that should help.
ArJay Wrote:Good gracious I hope not. We are getting a better coach. I would think that should help.

You are getting a much better coach than you had, however don't over hype this hire. Sizemore has done less with more than anyone in the region. He has had a tremendous amount of talent and very little to show for it. Just for shits and giggles lets look at an example, this Bell team beat him last year when Bell was not very good at all. However, it is an upgrade from"Fighting Frankie Smith." Still say Sizemore let money cloud his judgement, this job will set his career back several years.
I hope you are wrong. Time will tell. Who is supposed to be transferring?
It is all going to boil down to who North picks. They need a quality coach with experience, knowledge and the drive to push their talent to the top.
Clay county, talent or not, does not have the coach to accomplish what they could. And without a good coach, you have nothing but lost hopes and dreams.
Rumor has it Clays Big Boy Langdon is looking at playing for South Next Year if true. South will be a force, that will be hard to deal with