Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Professional Basketball Coming to Pikeville
"Former NFL quarterback Jay Fiedler and his business partner Demetrius Ford were in town again this week to discuss the impending move of a Continental Basketball Association team to Pikeville.

I also attached their team logo.

http://www.news-expressky.com/articles/2...01team.txt
That would be cool. I think it would do pretty good.
Well Pikeville finds out they are getting a commercial airport and a professional basketball team in the same week. East Ky is finally on the map.
Yay
I wish the franchise good luck, but I give it 3 years at the most.
Just saw this today, pretty exciting, but like jamey, think it will be short-lived.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'm not sure about that. I mean these teams can't expect to pull more that a couple hundred people to a game no matter the market. If they can keep some local players then they might have a chance.
I think we have had a thread on this topic before, but I'll give my opinion again. I do not see this venture lasting longer than one year. The only way they will get more than a few hundred people to come to the games is if they stock the team with a bunch of ex-UK players or maybe local high school stars. Even then, I suspect the novelty will wear off quickly, likely by the end of the first year.

Personally, I would rather go to a local high school game this winter than to a CBA game, and I bet a lot of others around here probably feel the same way.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If Division I schools won't look at Mountain basketball players, don't expect the CBA to.
I think if the Expo Center wants to draw a crowd with basketball they should look into getting an NBA Preseason game there. I also remember when UK played a game in Cincy each year as well as Louisville, maybe they could look into playing a game at the Expo Center, though I know the seating isnt as big as those big arenas it would be a nice gesture to the mountain fans who would come out in droves if UK played there.
I don't know a lot about the CBA, is it more of a developmental league for the NBA, like the NBDL? Or is it more of a pro league for guys who will never make it to the NBA, like playing overseas?

If it is the former, they will have a lot a recent college guys from around the country who couldn't make the cut in an NBA camp. I don't see this type of team drawing any interest around here whatsoever.

If it is the latter, and the aim of the team is not to develop guys for the NBA, then each team will have two main objectives: win (hopefully) and bring in money (a necessity for survival). This type of team would at least have a hook with the locals by having a former high school star on the team, even if he sat the end of the bench. A team of ex-UK players would have a hook as well, similar to Lexington's indoor football team having several former Wildcats, such as Dusty Bonner at QB. This type of team would draw more interest, but the novelty would still begin to fade after a few games.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The CBA used to matter, back in the days when it had a developmental deal with the NBA.

Now? Not so much. When Isaiah Thomas owned the league, he basically ran it into the ground and it hasn't been the same since. It's still a step (actually, several flights of steps) up from the new version of the ABA.
I would go to every game...I would much rather go to a CBA game than a high school game around here...I want to see some dunks and some great basketball and your not going to see that in the HS games in Pike county.
BCF4L Wrote:Well Pikeville finds out they are getting a commercial airport and a professional basketball team in the same week. East Ky is finally on the map.

REALLY WOW!! I have been on vacation and I am a little behind with my reading. That is the first time I have heard of a commerical airport coming. Come you elaborate or send a link with info?
I would rather go to a U of L game than CBA!
i think arena football would be better.
Yeah an Indoor Football team would be awesome...
cig107 Wrote:I would go to every game...I would much rather go to a CBA game than a high school game around here...I want to see some dunks and some great basketball and your not going to see that in the HS games in Pike county.

Really? Well, I guess the people behind this are counting on there being plenty others like you around here. Maybe there are, I could just be biased because I don't really care for the NBA either. I love the excitement and school spirit at high school and college games, and the pros just bore me. Oh well, guess that's another topic.

Anyway, even if I never went to a game, I hope the franchise does well because it is more positive attention for our region.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Really? Well, I guess the people behind this are counting on there being plenty others like you around here. Maybe there are, I could just be biased because I don't really care for the NBA either. I love the excitement and school spirit at high school and college games, and the pros just bore me. Oh well, guess that's another topic.

Anyway, even if I never went to a game, I hope the franchise does well because it is more positive attention for our region.

Personally I think that a arena football team would be more fun to watch then a minor league basketball team. Like you have said before I think the only way that you can get people (other then the diehard basketball fans on here) to come out is by having a roster build to appeal to the region's love for UK basketball. 5 yahoos will not bring as much publicity as 1 past UK player or a loved high school player.

I think the franchise can do really good but things have to fall in a certain order. If the team comes in a sucks right off the bat, fans may come out and support the new basketball team for a few months but after that the attendence will drop to Pikeville College basketball game attendence and the Miners will be gone. It is sad be most likely. Unless there is an emotionally tie to the fan base like a UK player.
Scotty_doesn't_know Wrote:Personally I think that a arena football team would be more fun to watch then a minor league basketball team. Like you have said before I think the only way that you can get people (other then the diehard basketball fans on here) to come out is by having a roster build to appeal to the region's love for UK basketball. 5 yahoos will not bring as much publicity as 1 past UK player or a loved high school player.

I think the franchise can do really good but things have to fall in a certain order. If the team comes in a sucks right off the bat, fans may come out and support the new basketball team for a few months but after that the attendence will drop to Pikeville College basketball game attendence and the Miners will be gone. It is sad be most likely. Unless there is an emotionally tie to the fan base like a UK player.
I think it would have been easier to keep an Arena football team. That way it would only be about 5-7 home games a season and it would become a weekly thing like high school football. But, with a basketball team they play many home games and i think the attendance won't be as much.
as much as i would like to see it succeed it wont last laong.
Amun-Ra Wrote:as much as i would like to see it succeed it wont last laong.

You are speaking the truth. I give it a year.

Hey Pikeville is getting attenion though!!!!
Big mistake bringing this in to Pikeville. Just more money down the drain with the Expo which will continue to lose money.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOL...when was the last concert at the expo, that's what they need to look at, this will only cause more scheduling problems for concerts, so don't expect any concerts this winter. This is why they don't make any money, they never schedule anything.
alfus21 Wrote:Big mistake bringing this in to Pikeville. Just more money down the drain with the Expo which will continue to lose money.

Agreed! The fan base is not conducive for a franchise like this. Though arena football would not do well, I did see a post that said that the arena football would be the same day every couple weeks (hit or miss) therefore allowing for more people to make it an event type setting whereas the minor league basketball would have very in consistent scheduling. I don't see attendence being high for the games throughout the week and throughout the season for a matter of fact. I mentioned the ways to draw a good crowd earlier.
1) Former UK players
2) Local high school stars
3) Both of these with a winning team

So, I think you are right on when you say that this is another stunt that will put the expo deeper into the hole.
Scotty_doesn't_know Wrote:So, I think you are right on when you say that this is another stunt that will put the expo deeper into the hole.

I don't think the Expo Center will take a hit like the franchise will. The Expo is essentially an empty shell to be rented by the CBA Franchise. The Expo will get their pay for use of the facilty one way or another - based on the success or failure of the franchise.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I don't think the Expo Center will take a hit like the franchise will. The Expo is essentially an empty shell to be rented by the CBA Franchise. The Expo will get their pay for use of the facilty one way or another - based on the success or failure of the franchise.

Very true (you are spot on with that) but I am sure if this franchise bombs it will take any potenial franchises out of the picture for good.
And if it doesn't Bomb? These teams run off sponsorship, Not ticket sales.
rallo316 Wrote:i think arena football would be better.
Football would be cool but if its barely making it in Lexington what makes you think it would make it in Pville
Beef Wrote:And if it doesn't Bomb? These teams run off sponsorship, Not ticket sales.
Didn't know that. Then it MAY do a little better than i thought.