Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hammonds Leaving KCC?
Tubby Hater Wrote:Once again you are 100% right. Kids are LAZY, and you take a good look at the programs that are dominate in this state and those kids give 110%. Do you think PRP or Dunbars kids just go out and practice couple hours a day and then show up for games. Hell no they dont, and usually after the games those kids immediately begin working on their field and doing all the things winning programs do. Kids like Evan Potter have good talent but never go anywhere with it because they arent dedicated. Baseball is probably the easiest sport to earn a scholarship and get a chance to play professionally at some level, but kids who just think they can show up take a few grounders and a few swings at practice everyday and then go home never get that chance to go to the next level. Eastern KY players have this bad reputation and thats the reason you hardly ever see a kid from the Mountains play D1 baseball or any other sport. Usually if they do make it, they get there and realize they have to work hard and things arent going to be given to them and they come back home to mommy after a year or so.

Thats because most of Dunbars and PRP players play one sport, baseball.
I love how no one knows what they are talking about on here. Coach Hammonds went to coach a group of graduated seniors that were moving on to play college ball. It was an all star team not a school team. As of last week he hadn't made up his mind if he was going to return or not. If he doesn't it will be a big blow to the KCC baseball program cause Hammonds does more than teach baseball he teaches life. When he quit the first time he was forced out because one of the parents that was a big donor to the school board and his child didn't get to play. and i mean you can say i don't no what i am talking about but the 8 seniors he had last year including Matt Helton the manager worked hard and for benchwarmer there wasn't a single senior that only played for 4 years Matt Gayheart and Matt Helton with the shortest times was with the team 2 years and they loved being on the team. in case you people don't know one of the seniors are going to play for Ohio Valley and another had a chance to play somewhere and still might. Others however well i heard one helped a little with a Babe Ruth team and was trying to get players up there next year for who ever. But no one can take the place of Gary Hammonds and his over 500 wins at KCC during the regular season not including summer and fall ball and his 5 regional championships. I can't county how many district titles and his 2 elite eight appearances and 1 final 4 appearance.
Hammonds coached the Oldham Junior team. They looked good, BTW.

It's time for a change. Knott hasn't done much in the past 4 years. Yea, 3 appearences in the 14th region tournament and a 55th District title. That's it. With the team that he had the past 4 years. Knott should have, at least, won one 14th Region title. And it should have been in 2005 or 2006. That was the best talent that Knott had in a long time.
wildcatman Wrote:I love how no one knows what they are talking about on here. Coach Hammonds went to coach a group of graduated seniors that were moving on to play college ball. It was an all star team not a school team. As of last week he hadn't made up his mind if he was going to return or not. If he doesn't it will be a big blow to the KCC baseball program cause Hammonds does more than teach baseball he teaches life. When he quit the first time he was forced out because one of the parents that was a big donor to the school board and his child didn't get to play. and i mean you can say i don't no what i am talking about but the 8 seniors he had last year including Matt Helton the manager worked hard and for benchwarmer there wasn't a single senior that only played for 4 years Matt Gayheart and Matt Helton with the shortest times was with the team 2 years and they loved being on the team. in case you people don't know one of the seniors are going to play for Ohio Valley and another had a chance to play somewhere and still might. Others however well i heard one helped a little with a Babe Ruth team and was trying to get players up there next year for who ever. But no one can take the place of Gary Hammonds and his over 500 wins at KCC during the regular season not including summer and fall ball and his 5 regional championships. I can't county how many district titles and his 2 elite eight appearances and 1 final 4 appearance.
You made a lot of great points with your statement. Hammonds is a teacher of life, I learned a lot from Hammonds both on and off the field. I happened to be on his last team when all hell broke loose, when he played a couple 8th graders (who busted their butt and played their heart out) over a couple spoiled rich kids who had some talent and ability, but where not willing to put the time and effort into baseball.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Thats because most of Dunbars and PRP players play one sport, baseball.
You need to check your facts on that statement, I know many of those kids from both schools play multiple sports. In fact my cousin played on the 03 Dunbar State Championship team, and he was a 3 sport athlete and had college offers to Divison 1 schools in all 3 sports, and he was not the only kid that played multiple sports. You are trying to make an argument of something that you dont know the facts about.
wildcatman Wrote:I love how no one knows what they are talking about on here. Coach Hammonds went to coach a group of graduated seniors that were moving on to play college ball. It was an all star team not a school team. As of last week he hadn't made up his mind if he was going to return or not. If he doesn't it will be a big blow to the KCC baseball program cause Hammonds does more than teach baseball he teaches life. When he quit the first time he was forced out because one of the parents that was a big donor to the school board and his child didn't get to play. and i mean you can say i don't no what i am talking about but the 8 seniors he had last year including Matt Helton the manager worked hard and for benchwarmer there wasn't a single senior that only played for 4 years Matt Gayheart and Matt Helton with the shortest times was with the team 2 years and they loved being on the team. in case you people don't know one of the seniors are going to play for Ohio Valley and another had a chance to play somewhere and still might. Others however well i heard one helped a little with a Babe Ruth team and was trying to get players up there next year for who ever. But no one can take the place of Gary Hammonds and his over 500 wins at KCC during the regular season not including summer and fall ball and his 5 regional championships. I can't county how many district titles and his 2 elite eight appearances and 1 final 4 appearance.
Mammonds did not coach a team of graduated seniors. He coached a 17u , Junior American Legion Post team at Oldham Co., which were beaten in the state finals by the Junior team out of Ashland.
Tubby Hater Wrote:You need to check your facts on that statement, I know many of those kids from both schools play multiple sports. In fact my cousin played on the 03 Dunbar State Championship team, and he was a 3 sport athlete and had college offers to Divison 1 schools in all 3 sports, and he was not the only kid that played multiple sports. You are trying to make an argument of something that you dont know the facts about.
He does have his facts straight. Those two programs do not have but just very few players that play anything but baseball. There may be a few , but there are very few.
Tubby Hater Wrote:You need to check your facts on that statement, I know many of those kids from both schools play multiple sports. In fact my cousin played on the 03 Dunbar State Championship team, and he was a 3 sport athlete and had college offers to Divison 1 schools in all 3 sports, and he was not the only kid that played multiple sports. You are trying to make an argument of something that you dont know the facts about.

You can not compare teams from L'Ville and Lexington to teams from South East Kentucky, as far as 3 sports stars. Yes they have a few 3 sport stars but the dress what, 30 to 35 players. Most of these kids play one sport baseball. so they are willing to put the time in. PRP 1,860 students (866 boys), Dunbar 2,172 students (1,140 boys), Knott Central 669 students (349 boys) KCC had what 14 players on the team last year.
as of yesturday coach hammonds had not made a decision on weather he is staying or leaving, but had been offered another job.
Hammonds is KCC baseball, and without him, just would not be the same in the dugout or on the field.
UKisN1 Wrote:Hammonds is KCC baseball, and without him, just would not be the same in the dugout or on the field.

It probably won't. Still, there needs to be a change if KCC is to ever be the team to fear in the 14th again.

Don't they have a new school superintendent in Knott? That may change things as well.
baseball_dad Wrote:It probably won't. Still, there needs to be a change if KCC is to ever be the team to fear in the 14th again.

Don't they have a new school superintendent in Knott? That may change things as well.
Oh so you are saying politics may run Hammonds off again? Knott Co is a joke. I dont know why Hammonds wants to stay at Knott Co. Have you ever thought that maybe Knott has less talent than some of the other programs in the region. I promise you Hammonds is not the problem, but by reading all your remarks on here I am beginning to think that you may have a kid riding the pine for Hammonds and want a change to help your kid see some playing time.
Tubby Hater Wrote:Oh so you are saying politics may run Hammonds off again? Knott Co is a joke. I dont know why Hammonds wants to stay at Knott Co. Have you ever thought that maybe Knott has less talent than some of the other programs in the region. I promise you Hammonds is not the problem, but by reading all your remarks on here I am beginning to think that you may have a kid riding the pine for Hammonds and want a change to help your kid see some playing time.

No politics. Combs retired and was Hammonds' biggest supporter.

And I do not have any kids that are old enough to play HS ball. And if so, they couldn't play in Knott. I'm live within the 15th region.
Tubby Hater Wrote:Oh so you are saying politics may run Hammonds off again? Knott Co is a joke. I dont know why Hammonds wants to stay at Knott Co. Have you ever thought that maybe Knott has less talent than some of the other programs in the region. I promise you Hammonds is not the problem, but by reading all your remarks on here I am beginning to think that you may have a kid riding the pine for Hammonds and want a change to help your kid see some playing time.

Have a kid riding the pine? There was only four of them. And, almighty one what is the problem?
baseball_dad Wrote:No politics. Combs retired and was Hammonds' biggest supporter.

And I do not have any kids that are old enough to play HS ball. And if so, they couldn't play in Knott. I'm live within the 15th region.
Combs was also the Superintendant that was there when Hammonds was forced out. He thought Combs supported him then and he was influenced by a couple well known parents.
Tubby Hater Wrote:Combs was also the Superintendant that was there when Hammonds was forced out. He thought Combs supported him then and he was influenced by a couple well known parents.

True, but there are others that can force their hand and Combs would go along with it. That is what has been the problem in Knott for a long time. With this new person we'll see how things go.

As for Hammonds being offered a job, I believe it's for the Aces Junior team during the Summer. Nothing within the school system, itself. School starts soon and if Hammonds is teaching at Knott, then he'll be the coach.
well hammonds was offered a job coaching another school if he has taken it i dont know but he was offered.
coach hammonds is for sure gone. i have recently talked with him, i am very close to the coach and his players, coach hammonds will no longer be a patriot.......but will be taking a job else where in the state of kentucky...cant say where but if will be a shock to eveyone
LUMBERJACK'06 Wrote:coach hammonds is for sure gone. i have recently talked with him, i am very close to the coach and his players, coach hammonds will no longer be a patriot.......but will be taking a job else where in the state of kentucky...cant say where but if will be a shock to eveyone

Why can't you say? Are you for sure that he is leaving? I have been keeping up with the Patriot Man on the other "forum"Rolleyes and he is saying that he's at Knott and is teaching. I guess we'll just have yo wait and see for sure.
Well the Knott County Schools went back to school today, does anyone know if Hammonds was there teaching??? or anymore info on him leaving for another school??
MVP2 Wrote:Well the Knott County Schools went back to school today, does anyone know if Hammonds was there teaching??? or anymore info on him leaving for another school??

He was at school today teaching. So if he was going to leave I think he would have done it before school started.
i also heard coach was back at school today maybe for his final time or maybe to try and rebuild
Any updates on the Hammonds situation?
Hes still at kcc teaching.
kcc_50 Wrote:Hes still at kcc teaching.

Yea, but is he still the coach?
I heard Jamie Couch is now the Head Coach there, but I dont know if its true. Just a rumor Ive heard from a few people in Knott Co.
MVP2 Wrote:I heard Jamie Couch is now the Head Coach there, but I dont know if its true. Just a rumor Ive heard from a few people in Knott Co.

Jamie has done wonders with the softball team. He would make a good fit.
Last I heard, Hammonds was still there. I also heard, They would not have enough for a team if he continued to coach. I think Couch would be a good choice. There program has been pretty bad since the early 90's.
I've heard that 07-08 will be the last of Hammonds, he is a great coach and knows what he is talking about. I think he sleeps,eats, and breaths baseball. Practice until 7 and 8 pm? They won the 55th a couple years back. This made them a good team so quit complaining. I've also heard that Jamie Couch and assistant coach Paige Maggard may be joining the ball club if hammonds decides to leave. These are just romurs though not positive.
Back to the KCC baseball deal, I don't believe they will be having a fall ball team this year ether on account of teams in the 14th 15th regions. He is still the coach up to my knowledge.