Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hammonds Leaving KCC?
That's too bad.
Ok. The thread is about Hammonds leaving. So is he gone or not? I honestly don't see any other Coach helping them out more than Hammonds himself.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Was you forced out also? I know a lot about baseball. Is it politics causing kids not to play for him? 13 kids on the team. I never said he wasnt a good coach. Every kid loves to practice 6 hours a day monday-Friday, 10 hours on Saturday, and 4 hour on Sunday. Coach knows more about baseball than anyone I know but kids have changed over time and he has not. Tell me why kids are not playing?
i happen to know alot of the guys that have played for hammonds....i have nevertalked to him personally but i have palyed against him a couple of times....he is a tremendous coach who had very little talent to work with lately.....people like you are bad for baseball and should not question their coach.....i would love to play for hammonds!
psalm23 Wrote:i happen to know alot of the guys that have played for hammonds....i have nevertalked to him personally but i have palyed against him a couple of times....he is a tremendous coach who had very little talent to work with lately.....people like you are bad for baseball and should not question their coach.....i would love to play for hammonds!
Nice post, I played for Hammonds and I have all the respect in the world for the man.
psalm23 Wrote:i happen to know alot of the guys that have played for hammonds....i have nevertalked to him personally but i have palyed against him a couple of times....he is a tremendous coach who had very little talent to work with lately.....people like you are bad for baseball and should not question their coach.....i would love to play for hammonds!

someone that has psalm23 listed, judging people. Are you looking for greener pastures. Where did I say he was a bad coach? Very little talent is right 13 players and only 3 or 4 players back. Like I said he knows more about baseball that most of the people walking the face of this earth.
Hay Tubby Hater. You said that Hammonds was being forced out, he is still here. Where is that politics you keep talking about?
Coach Hammonds year in and year out has been one of the best coaches east of lexington and whether he stays or goes i would say will be on his own terms either way...
At one time Hammonds was a great coach. He is now full of himself and thinks he is the face of baseball.

KCC has only practiced a couple of times on a Sunday(14th region tourney).

His pitchers pitch too much.

Had a lot of talent last season, just wanted to focus more on the ones whose parent's kissed his behind.

One more year of losing, and he's done.

I went to a JV football game(KCC vs AC) a few weeks ago and went up to the field just to take a look, it looked like crap. Grass all over the infield. Talk about pride in your field.
baseball_dad Wrote:At one time Hammonds was a great coach. He is now full of himself and thinks he is the face of baseball.

KCC has only practiced a couple of times on a Sunday(14th region tourney).

His pitchers pitch too much.

Had a lot of talent last season, just wanted to focus more on the ones whose parent's kissed his behind.

One more year of losing, and he's done.

I went to a JV football game(KCC vs AC) a few weeks ago and went up to the field just to take a look, it looked like crap. Grass all over the infield. Talk about pride in your field.

it sounds like a daddy is upset about playing time??? thats the only thing bad about sites like these..you have some people who use like it was meant and then you have some who abuse it by going on here and bad mouthing a coach for not playing their son...Coach Hammonds is somewhat of an icon in eastern kentucky when it comes to baseball...especially in that town...all the success you have ever had has come from him, and people use to embrace him and now they've turn their back on him, and i think its a shame...
bigE Wrote:it sounds like a daddy is upset about playing time??? thats the only thing bad about sites like these..you have some people who use like it was meant and then you have some who abuse it by going on here and bad mouthing a coach for not playing their son...Coach Hammonds is somewhat of an icon in eastern kentucky when it comes to baseball...especially in that town...all the success you have ever had has come from him, and people use to embrace him and now they've turn their back on him, and i think its a shame...

If you will go back and look in past threads, you will find out that I am from the 15th region part of this grand state. My kid's playing time has long since been gone. They are doing other things with their life elsewhere. And I am proud.

Hammonds was once a great coach. Like I said, though, he has become full of himself. He has listened to too many parents who kissed his behind and drove the baseball team down. They will not even contend until there is a change.

Sorry to disappoint you Big E.
baseball_dad Wrote:If you will go back and look in past threads, you will find out that I am from the 15th region part of this grand state. My kid's playing time has long since been gone. They are doing other things with their life elsewhere. And I am proud.

Hammonds was once a great coach. Like I said, though, he has become full of himself. He has listened to too many parents who kissed his behind and drove the baseball team down. They will not even contend until there is a change.

Sorry to disappoint you Big E.

you dont dissappoint me your knowledge on the situation dissapoints me, you ramble on and on and i honestly think its for agrumentative reasons i think you know you dont know the situation there but you simply dont care, so im done fooling with you....
Coach Hammonds is a good coach, I think that has been established and many would agree. These past few years his teams have struggled. However, he did have a team make it to the region 2 years ago. But he hasn't had any all around talent to work with. I think alot of his success has to do with the talent around him, and thats why lately he hasnt had any. Not trying to offend anyone, just stating my opinion.
bigE Wrote:you dont dissappoint me your knowledge on the situation dissapoints me, you ramble on and on and i honestly think its for agrumentative reasons i think you know you dont know the situation there but you simply dont care, so im done fooling with you....

I was once close to the program. I didn't help out or coach, but was just someone that kept up with it. I have talked to Hammonds and past assistants he has had. I really though that a couple of years ago that this program was on it's way back. The team that went to the region 2 years straight, should have went farther than the second and first game of the region. Heck, his 2005 team should have went to the region championship. The problem was that he was listening to parents that he shouldn't have. The 2006 team should have contended for the championship as well. Again, parents getting in his way, kept that from happening. This past season, there was a lot of turmoil within the program. Players weren't buying in to what he was teaching. And it all spans from the past few seasons before. It is time for a change and should have happened this year. I once was a student at KCC. I didn't play baseball, I didn't have the gusto to play. I did like to watch, though. Those days that teams feared Knott are gone. They now fear Perry, Letcher Central, Lee, and Powell. Sure, Hammonds hasn't had the number of players that he did in the late 80's early 90's. But he did have talent. Shoot, most of the kids that played in the local Little League have played on his teams the past 7 years. And those LL teams were good.

Hammonds is a good, no, a great coach. Probably the best coach Knott has had in any sport. Knott's program is tainted, or at least until the sophomores are gone, though. Those parents he let "run" the program are gone and maybe he can turn the program around. I'm just not going to say he can. It is time for a change. Someone fresh.
baseball_dad Wrote:I was once close to the program. I didn't help out or coach, but was just someone that kept up with it. I have talked to Hammonds and past assistants he has had. I really though that a couple of years ago that this program was on it's way back. The team that went to the region 2 years straight, should have went farther than the second and first game of the region. Heck, his 2005 team should have went to the region championship. The problem was that he was listening to parents that he shouldn't have. The 2006 team should have contended for the championship as well. Again, parents getting in his way, kept that from happening. This past season, there was a lot of turmoil within the program. Players weren't buying in to what he was teaching. And it all spans from the past few seasons before. It is time for a change and should have happened this year. I once was a student at KCC. I didn't play baseball, I didn't have the gusto to play. I did like to watch, though. Those days that teams feared Knott are gone. They now fear Perry, Letcher Central, Lee, and Powell. Sure, Hammonds hasn't had the number of players that he did in the late 80's early 90's. But he did have talent. Shoot, most of the kids that played in the local Little League have played on his teams the past 7 years. And those LL teams were good.

Hammonds is a good, no, a great coach. Probably the best coach Knott has had in any sport. Knott's program is tainted, or at least until the sophomores are gone, though. Those parents he let "run" the program are gone and maybe he can turn the program around. I'm just not going to say he can. It is time for a change. Someone fresh.

they shouldn't have even got past Lee County....there were five teams better than them in 2005....he just hasn't had any talent...
bigE Wrote:they shouldn't have even got past Lee County....there were five teams better than them in 2005....he just hasn't had any talent...

I'm beginning to think that you don't know the program.

Hammonds had the talent. Caleb Hall, the Johnson kid(now an ump), Brandon Smith, Zack Gibson, the other Hall kid, a couple of others that I can't think of right now. They had the talent then. They just didn't have the bench when an injury would occur.
baseball_dad Wrote:I'm beginning to think that you don't know the program.

Hammonds had the talent. Caleb Hall, the Johnson kid(now an ump), Brandon Smith, Zack Gibson, the other Hall kid, a couple of others that I can't think of right now. They had the talent then. They just didn't have the bench when an injury would occur.

Well said, this year they have no seniors, 1 Junior, the rest being freshmen and sophomores, and not many people coming off of the bench.
baseball_dad Wrote:I'm beginning to think that you don't know the program.

it just sounds like everybody there is in a fantasy world when it comes to baseball, they must not have seen too much other baseball outside the county..
BIG E you have been out of the region to long. He use to be a good coach in the 14th region, but the game has pasted him by. You should understand that...being a coach yourself.
JustTrying Wrote:BIG E you have been out of the region to long. He use to be a good coach in the 14th region, but the game has pasted him by. You should understand that...being a coach yourself.

well maybe im completely wrong about Hammonds i dont know, but i remember him being a great coach I guess theres things going on there i dont know about...Im actually not coaching anywhere, i would love to be, but unfortunately i have another year left in school....
JustTrying Wrote:BIG E you have been out of the region to long. He use to be a good coach in the 14th region, but the game has pasted him by. You should understand that...being a coach yourself.

Regional Championships KCC- four out of five years 1989, 1990, 1991, and 1993
Last five years records (according to KHSAA webiste)-
7-19
12-21
17-22
10-27
7-19

The last KCC team to advance to the regional championship game was in 1999, John Meehan was the coach then. He departed for Hazard and coach Hammonds took back over at KCC.
So, these last five years results you posted are with Hammonds as head coach?
But, anyway, i have been reading this thread seems like forever, and I still have never come to figure out what the big deal about him is? Was he the coach of those Reg. Title teams in the early 90's? I do remember some teams with Meehan at the helm. I just dont recall ever hearing much about Hammonds or his teams, say, in the past 10-15 yrs. or just call me dumb, I dont know.Big Grin
Ring'Em Up Wrote:So, these last five years results you posted are with Hammonds as head coach?
But, anyway, i have been reading this thread seems like forever, and I still have never come to figure out what the big deal about him is? Was he the coach of those Reg. Title teams in the early 90's? I do remember some teams with Meehan at the helm. I just dont recall ever hearing much about Hammonds or his teams, say, in the past 10-15 yrs. or just call me dumb, I dont know.Big Grin

The man has over 500 victories, and yes he was coach in the late '80s and early '90s. Posey took the job for a few years and then Meehan was there in 1998 and 1999. Coach Hammonds took back over in 2000, which was the last winning season for KCC. The 2000 team was loaded with seniors that played for Hammonds for only one season (Craft, Pratt, and Slone were all very good players).

I was merely agreeing with JustTrying.
:thumpsup:
Meehan's teams at KCC in 99/00 had 10 times the talent any team has had since
rawlingsfan Wrote:The man has over 500 victories, and yes he was coach in the late '80s and early '90s. Posey took the job for a few years and then Meehan was there in 1998 and 1999. Coach Hammonds took back over in 2000, which was the last winning season for KCC. The 2000 team was loaded with seniors that played for Hammonds for only one season (Craft, Pratt, and Slone were all very good players).

I was merely agreeing with JustTrying.

Did Coach Hammonds not have a team that made it to the final 4?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Did Coach Hammonds not have a team that made it to the final 4?

Yes he did have a team make it to the final 4 a couple years ago, they were some great players from that team, Jamie Couch being one of those.
Hammonds may have been a great coach......................Now he really needs replaced
3under_PAR Wrote:Hammonds may have been a great coach......................Now he really needs replaced

I agree........people can put the blame where they want......but if you don't win after 6 or 7 years, its time to go in another direction. Get a young coach in that can bring excitement back to the program.
Hammond's is still a good coach, I think he knows more about baseball then anyone I know, but I do think his time is up, I think a good replacement for the Job would be, KCC softball Coach Jamie Couch a former Knott County Central player. I think he fits perfect with the job.
Spartan4Life Wrote:Hammond's is still a good coach, I think he knows more about baseball then anyone I know, but I do think his time is up, I think a good replacement for the Job would be, KCC softball Coach Jamie Couch a former Knott County Central player. I think he fits perfect with the job.

I'd say when Hammonds does leave, Couch will be the next skipper at KCC. I heard during the summer that Jamie Couch was gonna be the coach if Hammonds went to GRC or whereever it was he was suposed to go to.