Poll: Will the Reds trade Dunn or Griffey by July 31?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Dunn only
50.00%
Griffey only
0%
both of 'em
18.75%
neither
31.25%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the Reds trade Dunn or Griffey?
There has been a lot of speculation about the Reds trading one or maybe both of these guys this year. Although most of the rumors have centered on Adam Dunn, Junior's name has surfaced in trade rumors several times in the past, and one would have to think that he might have been traded long ago had he stayed healthy.

So, let's hear it. Do you think either, or even both, of these guys will be traded by the non-waiver deadline (July 31)? You can also post your opinion of what you think they should do with them, even if it differs from what you think they will do. You can even mention other guys you think will be traded, such as Weathers, Stanton, Hatteberg, Conine, etc.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would say Dunn only for right now.... He is the one that is commanding a big paycheck without production other than a solo homer. He does not hit for base hits. He does one of two things: hits a home run or strikes out
The thing is he does the second .80% of the time. So big bucks for little or no production means bye bye for him on a small budget team. I say Dunn first.

With Griffey he is actually producing hits, runs, and offense. So not only are you getting him to the point he was before all of the injuries, you are also allowing him to boost his stock for a trade on down the road (but not right now).
trade Dunn if it has to come to that.
I voted neither, but trade Dunn and get some pitching.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Griffey wants out of Cincy, and who can blame him. They have no pitching, no defense and he is the only bat that I have seen doing anything productive.
I myself think that the team should trade whichever of the two will fetch the best return. Dunn is younger and has more upside (potentially), but his contract is such that if he is traded he becomes a free agent after this year, making him only a stretch-run rental. Griffey, on the other hand, is the more complete player, and his contract is not outrageous considering how well he is playing this year, but you never know when he could have another season-ending injury (not his fault, but the guy is fragile).

On a side note, I think a guy like Weathers would be very valuable to a team in a playoff chase, and should bring back some good talent in return.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I myself think that the team should trade whichever of the two will fetch the best return. Dunn is younger and has more upside (potentially), but his contract is such that if he is traded he becomes a free agent after this year, making him only a stretch-run rental. Griffey, on the other hand, is the more complete player, and his contract is not outrageous considering how well he is playing this year, but you never know when he could have another season-ending injury (not his fault, but the guy is fragile).

On a side note, I think a guy like Weathers would be very valuable to a team in a playoff chase, and should bring back some good talent in return.

I guess this poll is more about who I think will be traded if anyone. So I will change my answer from earlier. I would like to see Dunn go (if it came to that), but I heard yesterday that Junior is unhappy (I am not for sure about the source). He did the Reds a favor by coming with a reasonable contract so I say let him be happy and trade him.
SportsFan80 Wrote:Griffey wants out of Cincy, and who can blame him. They have no pitching, no defense and he is the only bat that I have seen doing anything productive.

Griffey wants out? I read this week that he will not seek a trade to another team.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...6/1071/SPT

If you are not goint to take Dunn's $13million 1-year option, then you do your best to trade him because he don't want to lose him for nothing. And you must trade him to a contender with money that can negoiate a new deal because once he is traded, he is no longer owed an option and essentially becomes a free agent once the season is done.
Everything I have heard today on XM radio is that the Cubs are hot on the trail for Griffey and every baseball expert says he will except a trade to the Cubs with open arms.
Tubby Hater Wrote:Everything I have heard today on XM radio is that the Cubs are hot on the trail for Griffey and every baseball expert says he will except a trade to the Cubs with open arms.

I believe that a trade to the Cubs is worst case scenario for the Reds if they do trade. By trading him to the Cubs they will support an in-division rival for years to come but I guess we won't be competing for a division title any time soon.
What are the other teams interested? For some reason I think I heard the White Sox name thrown around.
Last night before the game in Seattle, Griffey talked to local reporters and said several interesting comments, including how much he missed the city. It really did sound like he was tired of playing in Cincy. Also, the local fans apparently gave him a loud ovation and cheered wildly when he got a hit.

It has been said for so long that Griffey would only accept a trade if it got him closer to his Orlando home, ideally in Atlanta. But with these other reports that he would be ok with going to Chicago, I wonder if he would also accept a trade back to the Mariners?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Last night before the game in Seattle, Griffey talked to local reporters and said several interesting comments, including how much he missed the city. It really did sound like he was tired of playing in Cincy. Also, the local fans apparently gave him a loud ovation and cheered wildly when he got a hit.

It has been said for so long that Griffey would only accept a trade if it got him closer to his Orlando home, ideally in Atlanta. But with these other reports that he would be ok with going to Chicago, I wonder if he would also accept a trade back to the Mariners?

That would be good to see him go back to the Mariners. I am sure they would accept him back with open arms. BTW the Reds would not have to face him for mutiple series throughout the year (maybe just one for interleague). For the Reds it would beat a trade to the windy city where he would probably kick our butt all year long. I say don't trade in the division.

off topic* I hope this don't happen but what would we get if he was sent to the Cubs? Zambrano (they have to get a big pitcher in this deal and I hope they would not accept Prior or Wood with their track records) All of this if he did go to the Cubs of course.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:That would be good to see him go back to the Mariners. I am sure they would accept him back with open arms. BTW the Reds would not have to face him for mutiple series throughout the year (maybe just one for interleague). For the Reds it would beat a trade to the windy city where he would probably kick our butt all year long. I say don't trade in the division.

off topic* I hope this don't happen but what would we get if he was sent to the Cubs? Zambrano (they have to get a big pitcher in this deal and I hope they would not accept Prior or Wood with their track records) All of this if he did go to the Cubs of course.

I don't see anyone investing in trading for a 37/38-year old veteran with a history of injuries over someone like Adam Dunn. Junior will retire in Cincinnati. Dunn (may) be traded sooner than later, depending on what young prospects the Reds can get in return and if the other team can lock-up Dunn to a longterm deal instead of being a rent-a-player for a half-season.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Griffey wants out? I read this week that he will not seek a trade to another team.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...6/1071/SPT

I read that article, too, but just because he will not actively seek a trade doesn't mean that he isn't unhappy in Cincinnati. If you have read his comments to the Seattle media, as well as other comments he has made in recent months (such as time where he said something along the lines of 'I live in Orlando, I only work in Cincinnati'), it seems as though he is implying he wants out without actually saying the words.

You're talking about a man in the twilight of his career who has never been to a World Series, who now finds himself on a team with little chance of success in the next couple years, and who has been turned on by a majority of his 'hometown' fans. I believe that Griffey, while not actively seeking a trade, would welcome a move to the right situation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I heard the same thing with Griffey and the Cubs. So has anyone heard about any teams that Dunn could possibly go to?
I am saying that Dunn will be traded because of the money and revenue that Griffey brings to the Reds! I may be wrong though, but either out of the 2 will free up ALOT of money! I have seen where Mark Buehrle is on the trade block and really think the Reds should pursue him if he is willing to come down quiet a bit on the 9.5 million dollar salary that he is getting from the Chi-Sox!
More Cowbell Wrote:I read that article, too, but just because he will not actively seek a trade doesn't mean that he isn't unhappy in Cincinnati. If you have read his comments to the Seattle media, as well as other comments he has made in recent months (such as time where he said something along the lines of 'I live in Orlando, I only work in Cincinnati'), it seems as though he is implying he wants out without actually saying the words.

You're talking about a man in the twilight of his career who has never been to a World Series, who now finds himself on a team with little chance of success in the next couple years, and who has been turned on by a majority of his 'hometown' fans. I believe that Griffey, while not actively seeking a trade, would welcome a move to the right situation.

I liken Griffey's trip to Seattle like running into an ex-girlfriend - all you remember are the good times and when you part you think of what "might have been." Then after you reflect a little and get back into your routine, you start to remember the "other stuff" that you didn't like.

Griffey said yesterday, "I always thought I'd be back," he said. "I just didn't know when. As an athlete you always want to retire with the team you started with. . . . I'm no different than anyone else."

If the Reds can get their younger players (Votto/Homer/???) to come through and get some help from their bullpen and proven leadoff hitter, Griffey will forget about going back to Seattle.

Just remember though, Griffey has one more year on his contract and a team option for 2009 for decision time is coming quicker than some Reds fans want to believe.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...706250358/
jammin' jamey Wrote:I liken Griffey's trip to Seattle like running into an ex-girlfriend - all you remember are the good times and when you part you think of what "might have been." Then after you reflect a little and get back into your routine, you start to remember the "other stuff" that you didn't like.

Griffey said yesterday, "I always thought I'd be back," he said. "I just didn't know when. As an athlete you always want to retire with the team you started with. . . . I'm no different than anyone else."

If the Reds can get their younger players (Votto/Homer/???) to come through and get some help from their bullpen and proven leadoff hitter, Griffey will forget about going back to Seattle.

Just remember though, Griffey has one more year on his contract and a team option for 2009 for decision time is coming quicker than some Reds fans want to believe.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...706250358/

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who think signing Griffey was a big mistake and can't wait to get him gone. I think his salary is actually a bargain for a year's worth of a fully functioning Junior, as he has shown this year what he can do when healthy. If he had not been injured so many times, no one in Cincy would be pushing to trade him.

Trading Junior is such a tricky proposition. You have to think that most teams would try to lowball the Reds due to his injury history, and you can't blame them for being wary. But the team can't give him away for next to nothing, because if he stays healthy and has a couple of all-star seasons (not to mention hitting 600 homers) for another team, the Reds will look like chumps.

I do agree with you that if the Reds started winning, Griffey's attitude would certainly change. I firmly believe that winning solves most chemistry problems on a team. However, I think that Junior sees what I see when I look at the Reds: a team with too many holes to contend in the near future.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Best article I've read about the Reds in weeks...Click on it, it's worth a read.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...706260365/

Here's a highlight:
By trading Griffey or Dunn or both, the Reds would free up a lot of payroll for 2008. Right now, with Eric Milton off the books, the Reds will have $9 million more to pursue free agents if the payroll stays the same. Trade Dunn or Griffey, and you're looking at $21 million to $22 million. Trade them both, and you're looking at $33.5 million. You can do a major roster makeover with that kind of money.
SO VERY TRUE jammin jamey! I would try and trade Griffey and Dunn both right now while they have some numbers that stick out to other teams to bait them!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:SO VERY TRUE jammin jamey! I would try and trade Griffey and Dunn both right now while they have some numbers that stick out to other teams to bait them!

I don't have a problem with trading one or both of them, as long as we get a fair return for them. I do not agree with simply giving them away to free up payroll. Yes, that's a lot of money to use in free agency, but the top guys who can make a difference on the team won't come cheap. Even factoring in Milton's money to get to 33.5 million, part of that will be eaten up by guys getting arbitration raises, so in the end that money will not go as far as Reds fans may think.

Like you said, though, their trade value is probably as high now as it's going to get (especially Griffey), so if they're going to do it, the time is now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't have a problem with trading one or both of them, as long as we get a fair return for them. I do not agree with simply giving them away to free up payroll. Yes, that's a lot of money to use in free agency, but the top guys who can make a difference on the team won't come cheap. Even factoring in Milton's money to get to 33.5 million, part of that will be eaten up by guys getting arbitration raises, so in the end that money will not go as far as Reds fans may think.

Like you said, though, their trade value is probably as high now as it's going to get (especially Griffey), so if they're going to do it, the time is now.

If we had 33.5 mill how do you think we would began the reconstruction of the lineup?
A big name pitcher, young talented bat, some actual bullpen help? That is something to think about while at work tomorrow. Big Grin
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:If we had 33.5 mill how do you think we would began the reconstruction of the lineup?
A big name pitcher, young talented bat, some actual bullpen help? That is something to think about while at work tomorrow. Big Grin

I dunno. Like I said, due to arbitration raises, we won't actually have 33.5 mill to spend in free agency. As far as who to get, those are all good suggestions, but I guess it depends on who will be hitting the market this winter. If few big-name pitchers are available, their price will be astronomical...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I dunno. Like I said, due to arbitration raises, we won't actually have 33.5 mill to spend in free agency. As far as who to get, those are all good suggestions, but I guess it depends on who will be hitting the market this winter. If few big-name pitchers are available, their price will be astronomical...

Very ture. A guy that I talked to the other day suggested Rich Hill from the Cubs, which after thinking about it, does sound like a good guy to look into. That is if Griffey to the Cubs took place which I am not seeing anyone talk about anymore. anyways, yeah I agree that the Reds probably will just have to wait and see who would be on the market.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Very ture. A guy that I talked to the other day suggested Rich Hill from the Cubs, which after thinking about it, does sound like a good guy to look into. That is if Griffey to the Cubs took place which I am not seeing anyone talk about anymore. anyways, yeah I agree that the Reds probably will just have to wait and see who would be on the market.

The 2 young guys in the Cubs' rotation are Rich Hill and Sean Marshall. Hill's stats this season are 5-5, 3.13 while Marshall's are 4-2, 2.44. Either of those guys could be a good person for the rotation. Not sure about what the Cubbies have in the minors that would interest the Reds.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I wonder who the big name Free Agents are for next year?
Plus guys, you have to look at it like this. Players who are a little bit better than average now ask for 10-13 million a year. And if you are a Superstar these days, they ask anywhere from 15-25 million a year! 33 million dollars will not go as far as you think it will in this day of baseball!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Plus guys, you have to look at it like this. Players who are a little bit better than average now ask for 10-13 million a year. And if you are a Superstar these days, they ask anywhere from 15-25 million a year! 33 million dollars will not go as far as you think it will in this day of baseball!

Exactly what I said earlier, 33.5 mill will not go very far these days. After you take out arbitration raises, you would likely only have enough money to sign one top-shelf FA. I do not believe that a small-market team like the Reds can afford to bank on improving significantly through free agency.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]