Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle School Sports - Should they be limited?
I do not know if they are a governing body of middle school sports but today a conversation I was having with a local middle school teacher talking about their basketball program and how it was ran and they was telling me of the middle school playing 70 games a year know that the NBA only plays 90 games tops in the season. Should they have a limitation on these sports. I mean its ridiculous to have kids play this many games. I mean I do not know the parents side but I mean 70 games is a little much for middle school kids. What are everyone else's opinion's? sorry this is in general discussion instead of middle school sports figured I'd get more responses here.
I didn't think middle school even played that many games...when I was in middle school we had to play everyone in the county twice (once away and once at home) and then we could do one maybe two tourneys besides the County Tourney and like two or three scrimmage games and that was it. I don't think they should be playing alot, maybe once a week or something but defintally not more than that because I feel that school comes first and usually kids are more distracted in that age group than they might be in high school since you usually still have to push them more to make sure they do their best work in school.
Middle school is not regulated, some teams do play that many games a year, and something should be done about it.

There is no sense in playing more than 25 games a year, not including the teams county tourney. This is the number 1 reason kids quit the sport on the claim of being burnt out.
In Floyd county there is a limit on how many games you can play. I dont know about any other county. But I remember Betsy Layne had 12 tournaments scheduled this year counting the county and state tournament and they had to cancell half of them because they wasnt allowed to play that many games in one season.
I've been around and playing basketball for many of years and I have never heard of a middle school playing that many games. I dont think sports should be limited if they have a good coach that will teach them right and as long as people dont force them to play then that would be right. But if the child dont want to play and they are making them then they are a limit to sports!
In Floyd County regular season each team plays one another once at HOME and once AWAY so that would be a total of 8 games.That to me isnt alot of games.
Floyd County does limit the number of games in every sport. Middle School plays every one twice *home/away*. But there are more than 4 teams, AMS, ACMS, BLES, Allen, SFMS, MCA, Wesley. The younger teams (4th, 5th, 6th) don't play SFMS, but they compete with McDowell Elementary and Osborne Elementary, plus the other FloydCounty teams listed. They play 12/14 games in the Floyd County Conference. They are allowed to participate in 2 tournaments (not including the County Tournament). They average about 20 games a year if the play in Tourney's.
FATMAN Wrote:i do not know if they are a governing body of middle school sports but today a conversation i was having with a local middle school teacher talking about their basketball program and how it was ran and they was telling me of the middle school playing 70 games a year know that the NBA only plays 90 games tops in the season. should they have a limitation on these sports. i mean its ridiculous to have kids play this many games. i mean i do not know the parents side but i mean 70 games is a little much for middle school kids. what are everyone else's opinion's. sorry this is in general discussion instead of middle school sports figured id get more responses here

I think I know what school you are talking about. But, here is the deal. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, I think they schedule about 35 games each year. But they have a 7th grade team and a 8th grade team that play each time. So if you put the 2 together you have 70 games. But do they play every scheduled game? More than likely no. Mother Nature controls that. Floyd Co. has the luxury of having so many teams in county. Most others don't. So they schedule what they can and play what they can. So to say any one team plays 70 games a year is just alittle of base.
well i have heard they play 70 games but come 2 my attention they play more like 40-50 but still thats too much for middle school when they are out every night it gets ridiculous i mean they are students first i know its cliché but you have to have time 2 study and do hw
FATMAN Wrote:well i have heard they play 70 games but come 2 my attention they play more like 40-50 but still thats too much for middle school when they are out every night it gets ridiculous i mean they are students first i know its cliché but you have to have time 2 study and do hw

I agree 100%! :Thumbs:
I helped a middle school team this year and we played around 35 games and I thought that was a lot
20-25 games is all any team needs to play in a season. I actually heard of a
6th grade team that played about 35 games that alot for a 12yr old.
Our 6th grade team played 39 regular school game and already played 18 aau games and looking at hopefully 6 or 7 more in the 12u State AAu championship this weekend.
thats alot of games but good luck this weekend.
I know the Coach Baldwin at Johnson County Middle School tries to schedule between 50 and 60 middle school baseball games. He does it in hopes of playing half those games due to weather and cancellations. I know in middle school baseball if you only schedule 30 games than you will be lucky to play 10 of those. To me that isn't worth it! Coach Baldwin scheduled 65 games last year and they got in 30. 4 of those games were against the JV.
We lived in another state, and the state allowed a child to play only 25 games per season, period. The schools scheduled the games for Saturdays, or early on weekdays, usually 4:oo, so the kids were home no later than 6:oo. By having the games at 4:00, the students could stay after school for the games.
The key word there is year. Of course a basketball team would play
70 games a year when you count summer play and AAU. They are
not playing 70 during their season. If you want to get better you have
to play. That is not that many games for one year.
I know that this is a basketball board but here is another twist. I catch greif for football with 22 games scheduled in football. YES sounds like alot of games but if you have 30 kids and everyone plays in the games that pans out. I know that some people freak out about that many games but when you practice Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and play Saturday.... We hit in practice and you learn more in a game, so why not play a game instead of practice.. 30 kids get to play all the time......

Now in basketballand baseball it is the same. My son plays AAU basketball, Gus Macker basketball and school basketball. In a season we will play around 40-45 games of basketball,, baseball we played AAU, USSSA, Little League, Allstars and in one year we played around 60 games of baseball.. he is also running track and add that to the list.... Currently makes A' and B's and does well in school...
Yes that is alot of time spent in sports..... BURN OUT is a possibility but playing is his call, we dont push and if he wants to to do it then we play.....

I read alot of posts but only just in season with my son so I am just starting to catch up on posts......

I say let the kids play and let them play as much as they want... You can not make up lost time with your child and if this is something your child wants to do,, I say support them in every way possible......
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "