Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More on the East KY Miners...
This is the official press release regarding the East Kentucky Miners that was sent to all media outlets today...Thought I would post it for you guys to read...I know most of us, including myself, think that this franchise won't last long in Pikeville, but I still want it to succeed. There are some things to be excited about: A Floyd County native will be the head coach and Concert Tours from A-list artist are suppose to perform concerts in connection with the team at the Expo Center according to the release...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

East Kentucky pro basketball franchise to call Pikeville home

Keathley to guide CBA team; Press conference set for July 19

PIKEVILLE, KY (June 27, 2007) – Eastern Kentucky now has a professional sports franchise to call its own. Get ready diehard Kentucky hoops fans – basketball of the professional variety is coming to Pikeville and the East Kentucky Expo Center. An official announcement will be made on Thursday, July 19 at 7:30 pm, during a press conference that will be open to the public at the Expo Center, the team’s new home. Season Tickets for all home games will go on sale immediately following the press conference and attendees will have the first opportunity to select the best seats available.

The East Kentucky Miners, an expansion team in the Continental Basketball Association (CBA), will soon set up shop in Pikeville at the East Kentucky Expo Center, a state-of-the-art facility that ranks as one of Kentucky’s premier multifunctional venues. When the East Kentucky Miners, a property of Trinity Sports & Entertainment Group, Inc., take the Expo Center hardwood in late-fall, one of Eastern Kentucky’s own will be guiding the expansion team. Floyd County native Kevin Keathley, 29, has been named head coach of the Miners.

Keathley is one of the nation’s premier professional basketball coaches, bringing with him a resume that includes an extreme amount of success as a coach and recruiter.
Most recently, Keathley was an assistant coach of the Rio Grande (Texas) Silverados of the American Basketball Association (ABA). In 2006, Pro Basketball News (http://www.probasketballnews.com) touted Keathley as one of the Top 10 young coaches in America. Coach Keathley spent a great portion of his youth living near Pike County and is familiar with all of Eastern Kentucky.

“After being gone away 10 years, coaching collegiately and professionally, I was ecstatic when the opportunity came to return to Eastern Kentucky and coach,” said Keathley.
“I want to be here. I want to see Pikeville, Pike County, other surrounding counties and all of Eastern Kentucky jump onboard and call this professional basketball team their own. Combine the great ownership with Kentucky fans and their love for basketball and this is an excellent situation.”

Ten-year NFL veteran Jay Fielder and South Florida entrepreneur Demetrius Ford co-founded Trinity Sports & Entertainment Group. Both individuals welcomed the opportunity to bring professional basketball to Eastern Kentucky. “We have literally found a diamond in the rough here in Pikeville,” said Ford, Trinity’s CEO. “The people of the city continue to amaze me with a level of support and excitement I’ve not seen anywhere else. They truly want this team here, and we’re going to ensure we give them not only a great product on the court that they’ll be proud to call their own, but also a constant flood of entertainment in the form of major concerts and other events that they’ve had to drive hours outside their city limits to experience in the past.”

Converge Entertainment, a Trinity subsidiary run by former MTV executive Nolan Baynes, is the exclusive entertainment partner of the CBA and is currently developing a series of concert tours featuring A-list artists. Each tour will include a stop at the Eastern Kentucky Expo Center during the CBA season. According to Jay Fiedler, “Pikeville is a small town with big city dreams and aspirations. You can tell from all the infrastructure development that significant growth is on the horizon. The people here are some of the hardest working I’ve had the pleasure to meet, and they deserve big city access to big city entertainment, so that’s exactly what we will give them.”

According to Keathley, the East Kentucky Miners roster will soon start to take shape.
“We are looking to put the best basketball product on the floor,” said Keathley. “We’re going to look extensively for the top players. Our goal is to make the East Kentucky Miners the premier franchise in the CBA. Tryout camps will be set and we’ll also benefit from the CBA Draft.”

Steve St. John, General Manager of the Expo Center added, “This is exciting news for the Expo Center and all of Eastern Kentucky.” I feel this is a step in the right direction for the Expo and the Community. The addition of the Miners to the event lineup for the upcoming years will help offer a well rounded base of family entertainment.”

The East Kentucky Miners website (http://www.ekminers.com) is currently under construction. Information on tryouts and employment opportunities will be made available at a later date.

ONLINE:

www.ekminers.com
http://www.triseg.com
http://www.cbahoopsonline.com
http://www.eastkyexpo.com

For more information on the East Kentucky Miners, contact Kevin Keathley (phone: 502-619-4262 or 606-478-9832; email: [email]coachkeathley@yahoo.com[/email]) or Demetrius Ford (email: [email]dford@triseg.com[/email]).
More from the Appalachian News-Express...

http://www.news-expressky.com/articles/2...1coach.txt
i hope this is successful for the expo center and the community i still think arena football would have been better.
I have heard of Kareem Reid, Felipe Lopez and Jason Forte..And it said that Kenny Anderson was going to be a head coach for one of the teams!
Pretty cool that this may lead to more concert opportunies. I think I am more excited about that than the basketball team lol. However, I hope that the franchise does do well.
Well i guess all we can do is go to the games. Wont do any good if no one goes.
Aren't tickets supposed to be the same price as a HS game? about 6 or 7 dollars? This is what I heard, and if so, this would attract a lot of people as well.
I would go watch a few games it sounds awsome.
If people don't attend and show interest quick....Then they will sure ship out fast! So there is your warning! Look at the Thoroughblades....
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:If people don't attend and show interest quick....Then they will sure ship out fast! So there is your warning! Look at the Thoroughblades....

Basketball is bigger than Hockey in Kentucky.
Not when the first 3 season in it's existance that the KY Thoroughblades set attendance records in that hockey league and as soon as they started declining, the team was sent packing. It is also going to be in Pikeville which is going to be alot harder than people think it is to put a good crowd in each night. Reason I say this is because IMO, Me and ALOT of other people would rather watch a high school basketball game as I did and to me, besides going to Rupp at the biggest stage that a team can get in playing for a 15th Regiion title, which was played at the EXPO last year, and only what 4,500 attended. This is one of the most DIEHARD basketball fans, hell in the world IMO, and you only fill half of the EXPO with ALOT OF BIG SCHOOLS in this region! And I am from the 14th region as I seen quiet a few there. But I would like to see what kind of crowds that the owners are looking to have night it-night out, without losing money is my question. I know it will definately give me something to do when I don't have anything planned and wish nothing but the best! This is a BIG CHANCE for Pikeville and Eastern Kentucky alone to jump on the start of something that has VERY GOOD potential. The owners have gave us a chance that we NEVER get and have complained about for years. Now it is up to us fans to make it happen and maybe, just maybe, we will get looks at ALOT more things in the future!
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Aren't tickets supposed to be the same price as a HS game? about 6 or 7 dollars? This is what I heard, and if so, this would attract a lot of people as well.
How much are season tickets? Because I'd like to get those and not have to pay every game (which would probably be less but wouldn't seem like it lol) and i would feel more obligated to go.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I have heard of Kareem Reid, Felipe Lopez and Jason Forte..And it said that Kenny Anderson was going to be a head coach for one of the teams!

Kenny Anderson is the new head coach of the Atlanta Krunk.
you gotta be kiddin...atlanta KRUNK?? but it aint nothin but bloods on that team...
Kevin Pittsnogle plays for the Pittsburgh franchise and I believe the Pittsburgh team is the closest one to the Miners. 95.5 was talking to the new coach and he said most likely that will be our rival because the teams are so far spread out but they hope the league evolves from 15-20 teams in the near future.
Hard to believe that Pittsnogle isn't playing ine the NBA! The guy doesnt have your typical look but he knows and can play basketball!
GRIZZ Wrote:Kevin Pittsnogle plays for the Pittsburgh franchise and I believe the Pittsburgh team is the closest one to the Miners. 95.5 was talking to the new coach and he said most likely that will be our rival because the teams are so far spread out but they hope the league evolves from 15-20 teams in the near future.

Hard to believe that a city the size of Pittsburgh will be our big rival. I wonder if their fans will feel the same way?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Hard to believe that Pittsnogle isn't playing ine the NBA! The guy doesnt have your typical look but he knows and can play basketball!
i agree Pittsnogle is just right for NBA.
This will go over like the "Pikeville Cubs" and the "Kentucky Long Rifles". Meaning interest will be up the first year then the 2nd year people will quit showing up and the team will fold.
the team needs the area support to survive and i going to try to give it to them i wonder if any ex wildcats will try to play for this team
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:This will go over like the "Pikeville Cubs" and the "Kentucky Long Rifles". Meaning interest will be up the first year then the 2nd year people will quit showing up and the team will fold.

WOW! I barely remember the Kentucky Long Rifles! I remember that I got a foul ball at one of the games. However it was nt too hard to get one because there was less than 100 people there LOL.
I remember when I was playing All-Stars how we would have to wait on the Long Rifles to get there equipment out of the dugout so we could go in. Still even though it was the Long Rifles, it was a cool feeling! I was a fan!
yeah them and the Compton Copkillaz are Pikevilles first two games. Should make for some good basketball and some great sportsmanshipBig Grin
cig107 Wrote:you gotta be kiddin...atlanta KRUNK?? but it aint nothin but bloods on that team...
If Im not mistaken, the 6 teams in the league are:
Atlanta Krunk coached by Lil Jon
Compton Copkillaz coached by Ice T
Freemont Funkdafied coached by Da Brat
Boston Bling Bling coached by Jay Z
Detroit Drive By's coached by Ice Cube

and......................

The East Kentucky Miners. Coached by Ricky Skaggs.
OMG, I take that back about the post and thread that you started in College about the 3rd grader, lol..THIS ONE TOPS IT!!!!!!!
TidesHoss32 Wrote:If Im not mistaken, the 6 teams in the league are:

Man you have be on fire for the past two days. What creativity will you throw at us next? :Thumbs:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:If Im not mistaken, the 6 teams in the league are:

You gotta guard the Detroit Drive-By's with a tight man-to-man, those guys can really shoot... Big Grin
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:You gotta guard the Detroit Drive-By's with a tight man-to-man, those guys can really shoot... Big Grin

WOW! Add that one to the list! You put a lot of thought into that one didn't you Cowbell! But you forgot a head coach! This one is right up there with Atlanta Krunk :thumpsup: :Clap: Bravo boys, bravo!
These team will fold faster than lightning!!! No way that people will pay to watch these guys. It is just a fact. It may be ok for a game or two but it just won't be supported in Eastern Kentucky.
rallo316 Wrote:i agree Pittsnogle is just right for NBA.
LOL...one small problem...he is as white as snow!!!!