Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry Pirates All Decade Team (2010-2019)
Alright Pirate fans, or anyone else that wants to chime in, I'm bored again. Thought I'd keep us talking a little more football. With Belfry's success over the last decade I've decided to put together, IMO, a Pirate All Decade Team. Below is, again just my opinion, who I think are some of the best players we've had over the last ten years. Would love to know what some of you more seasoned fans think where I'm right, wrong, and why.

QB Sani Warren
RB Xondrea Willis
RB Taveon Hunter
FB Derek Wellman
TE Cole Bentley
T Austin Dotson
G Jordon Scott
C Ethan Wolford
G Dagen Rash
T Austin Gibbs
WR Tony Messer
K Austin Woolum
P Devin Wellman

What are your thoughts? There are some other really good players I may have left off. Who are they? Why should they replace any of these? Like I said, this is just my opinion. Someone want to put together the defensive team?
The way I picked mine is I went by who made All State Teams, went to college, has college offers, years started for the Pirates, were they durable and played almost every game, and most of all, who made an impact right away and would be hard to replace if injured. Like I said, theres alot of really good players left off this list and I could have put together a second team but I'll leave it at just one. Like to see someone else put together a defensive team. Thoughts?
Without thinking too hard... FB is a tough one. Wellman should be a shoe in, but Austin Hatfield would be my number 1 with Wellman 1A and Trey Willis not far behind. Hatfield was a 2 time 3A state championship game MVP and would have been 3 time had Belfry won in 2012 IMO.
bucslover68 Wrote:Without thinking too hard... FB is a tough one. Wellman should be a shoe in, but Austin Hatfield would be my number 1 with Wellman 1A and Trey Willis not far behind. Hatfield was a 2 time 3A state championship game MVP and would have been 3 time had Belfry won in 2012 IMO.

Your exactly right. I forgot all about Hatfield. Great player! How would you rank the defense this decade?
How many on the list actually started and contributed during their state championship run?
Tomcat Pride Wrote:How many on the list actually started and contributed during their state championship run?

Cole Bentley, Austin Dotson, Jordan Scott, Taveon Hunter, Derek Wellman, Devin Wellman, Ethan Wolford, Dagan Rash, and Austin Woolum all have rings. Not sure what that has to do with the team. Doesn't matter if they were on the championship teams or not, it's about some of the beat players in the past 10 years. But if you want to know, those are the ones that were on those teams and played.
From an outsider it would be tough to go with someone other than Hatfield.
Don't know a whole lot about Belfry personnel, especially past players, but the two that stand out in my mind are Derek Wellman and Austin Hatfield. If i'm not mistaken, Wellman missed some pt in his Senior ? because of any injury ? Imo, not much of a gap at all between the two. Both were very impressive.
Great group of football players.
QB - Sani Warren
RB - X Willis
RB - Taveon Hunter
FB - Austin Hatfield/Derek Wellman (when have we ever just used one FB?)
WR - Keaton Taylor
TE1 - Cole Bentley
TE2 - Tony Messer
T - Austin Dotson
G - Jordan Scott
C - Keegan Fields
G - Drew Mullins
T - Cameron Tackett

DE - Gary Runyon
DT - Rayquan Horton
NG - Cole Bentley
DT - Micah Mahon
DE - Tony Messer
LB - Derek Wellman
LB - Dakota Stanley
CB - Sani Warren
CB - Devin Varney
S - Cameron Catron
S - Josh Dixon

P - Devin Wellman
K - Austin Woolum

off the top of my head don’t hang me
If you want to really struggle, try 2000-2019.
AngryMob Wrote:QB - Sani Warren
RB - X Willis
RB - Taveon Hunter
WR - Keaton Taylor
TE1 - Cole Bentley
TE2 - Tony Messer
T - Austin Dotson
G - Jordan Scott
C - Keegan Fields
G - Drew Mullins
T - Cameron Tackett

DE - Gary Runyon
DT - Rayquan Horton
NG - Cole Bentley
DT - Micah Mahon
DE - Tony Messer
LB - Derek Wellman
LB - Dakota Stanley
CB - Sani Warren
CB - Devin Varney
S - Cameron Catron
S - Josh Dixon

P - Devin Wellman
K - Austin Woolum

Nice. I was hoping somebody would list a defense. Some great players on here.
Question. This is a Belfry thread but can we put Central players on here?
WideRight05 Wrote:Question. This is a Belfry thread but can we put Central players on here?

Absolutely! Why not? Hell in the past 10 years their players and ours seem to run together in my mind anyway as much as we've played them. Lol! I wish everyone would post their "All Decade" teams. Be fun to see who came from where and how their doing. Everyone's will probably be different but who cares, it's all for fun anyway.
Actually I figured that since Central has owned Belfry so much in the past decade that you could just put Central's players on the team since Belfry is pretty much Central's property. Confusednicker:
It's June so lets have some fun. Take this team below all in their prime and what do you think their record would be with a MAC or CUSA schedule? Run the option and Sani could sling it. WR will be a weakness and DB's but the offense will be unreal

RB - X Willis
RB - Taveon Hunter
WR - Keaton Taylor
TE1 - Cole Bentley
TE2 - Tony Messer
T - Austin Dotson
G - Jordan Scott
C - Keegan Fields
G - Drew Mullins
T - Cameron Tackett

DE - Gary Runyon
DT - Rayquan Horton
NG - Cole Bentley
DT - Micah Mahon
DE - Tony Messer
LB - Derek Wellman
LB - Dakota Stanley
CB - Sani Warren
CB - Devin Varney
S - Cameron Catron
S - Josh Dixon

P - Devin Wellman
K - Austin Woolum

WideRight05 Wrote:Actually I figured that since Central has owned Belfry so much in the past decade that you could just put Central's players on the team since Belfry is pretty much Central's property. Confusednicker:

Wow! Real classy Pal! You are the type of people on here that ruin this site. I would say a few things but I won't. Not worth getting on that level. You take care buddy and good luck to your team this season.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Wow! Real classy Pal! You are the type of people on here that ruin this site. I would say a few things but I won't. Not worth getting on that level. You take care buddy and good luck to your team this season.

WideRight - 1
Belfry fans - 0

Confusednicker:

In all seriousness, I don't know enough about Belfry to have a full list but I feel quite confident saying Trinity Carr deserves serious consideration. That kid was a brute at fullback.
WideRight05 Wrote:Actually I figured that since Central has owned Belfry so much in the past decade that you could just put Central's players on the team since Belfry is pretty much Central's property. Confusednicker:

I think the lease ran out on Central since Belfry won the last two meetings in the State Finals. :Thumbs:
WideRight05 Wrote:WideRight - 1
Belfry fans - 0

Confusednicker:

In all seriousness, I don't know enough about Belfry to have a full list but I feel quite confident saying Trinity Carr deserves serious consideration. That kid was a brute at fullback.

😂 A$$! Yeah, Trinity was an absolute monster for Belfry. I had Wellman but AngryMob had Hatfield which was probably the top FB. But you are right, Carr was brute!
All 2000's team get real tough. I love Wellman, but he would be at LB for sure and I would have Hatfield at FB. Austin Hatfield was a monster. For my money, the best FB ever at Belfry and that says a lot.

2000's you lock in Howard and Jones at the HB's. You add Matt Maynard at SE. Aaron Chapman and Messer is a tough call at the other TE, but I lean Chapman.

Outside of Bentley at TE, A. Dotson at T, and Jordan Scott at G I have a hard time with choosing the Oline. So many good players.

Gary Runyon and Messer at DE and big Ray in the middle of the DLine I will lock down, but the other two D-Linemen are tough. Belfry had a lot of non-typical undersized DT's who were super successful like Phillip Hickman, Michael Hackney, etc. You also had big Josh Cullop who turned into a monster his Senior year and truth be told Cole Bentley probably deserves some more love for what he did on D consistently.

Dustin May has to be on there alongside Wellman at LB. You have to find a home for May on this team and he was tremendous at LB.

Secondary is real tough. Josh Dixon and Catron were studs at Safety, can't go against either. Sani was our most consistent CB over the years, Devin Varney was our biggest playmaker.

With all that said, it is hard not find a home somewhere on the team for Thomas Varney (literally did everything), Dakota Stanley (tackling machine!), G Childress, and Keaton Taylor.

This doesn't even include other guys who had great careers like Ivan Lee, Charlie Dotson, Austin Hall (one of the most underrated Belfry players of all-time, 4-year starter and super consistent), or Jonah Caudill.

Woolum and Devin Wellman have the kicking spots locked down though. They were both superb at their disciplines.
Lmao ��
Offense (2010 to 2019)
QB - Tyler Williams
RB - Thomas Varney
RB - Tavon Hunter
FB - Derek Wellman
TE - Tony Messer
WR- Austin Woolum
T - Austin Dotson
T - Cole Bentley
G - Jordan Scott
G - Kalob Whitt
C - Ethan Wolford or Brayden Preece
P - Devin Wellman
K - Austin Woolum

Defense
DE - Austin Hall
DE - Tony Messer
DT - Chase Dove or Hayden Hatfield
DT - Ray Horton
NG - Cole Bentley
LB - Derek Wellman
LB - Nate Sanger
C - Devin Varney
C - Austin Woolum
SS - Josh Dixon
SS - Camron Catron

My team beats all you Boys if we’re going from 2010 to 2019
Tyler T-Bone Bostic would be hard to keep out of the secondary. One of the hardest hitting safety’s to wear the red and white.
When I think of Belfry football, I think of two things: (1) Coach Phillip Haywood and (2) great offensive lineman. It would have been fun to have gotten to watch some of their practices over the years just to see some of these guys going against each other. It would have probably been a lot more entertaining than a lot of their games over the years.
VELVET CLOSER Wrote:Tyler T-Bone Bostic would be hard to keep out of the secondary. One of the hardest hitting safety’s to wear the red and white.

You are right but we’re only going back to 2010 Tyler Graduated in 03 or 04
Hate to make y’all feel old but Thomas Varney’s senior season was 2009.
AngryMob Wrote:Hate to make y’all feel old but Thomas Varney’s senior season was 2009.

Your right but I was just going back 10 years for a decade
RB - X Willis
RB - Taveon Hunter
WR - Keaton Taylor
TE1 - Cole Bentley
TE2 - Tony Messer
T - Austin Dotson
G - Jordan Scott
C - Keegan Fields
G - Drew Mullins
T - Cameron Tackett

DE - Gary Runyon
DT - Rayquan Horton
NG - Cole Bentley
DT - Micah Mahon
DE - Tony Messer
LB - Derek Wellman
LB - Dakota Stanley
CB - Sani Warren
CB - Devin Varney
S - Cameron Catron
S - Josh Dixon

P - Devin Wellman
K - Austin Woolum

This list is hard to argue with. Awesome job. Think I would have also included Trey Willis.