Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All-time Pikeville vs. All-time Belfry
Name your rosters and score.
I'll take Pikeville in a close one 31-24.

Go.
I will just put our 2016 team against anybody you want to put on Pikeville’s team 34 to 32
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I will just put our 2016 team against anybody you want to put on Pikeville’s team 34 to 32

Pikeville's 1987 team alone would beat that team by 2 TDs or more.
jetpilot Wrote:Pikeville's 1987 team alone would beat that team by 2 TDs or more.

1987 team was legendary no doubt....,but IMO....not good enough to beat either the 2015 or 2016 Belfry team.

Back to the original question.....what a game that would be! Both programs have produced such high quality teams and exceptional players over the years. While Belfry has completed dominated this season for the last 15-20 years.....I think that is gonna change after the 2020 season. Belfry will be a load this year and still very, very good in. 2020. 2021 and beyond will be up for the taking.

All time teams? Geez.....I’m not familiar enough with the Pikeville rosters....but when I start thinking about NFL players such as Rick Kestner and James Ramey, QB’s like Floyd Hatfield, Dwayne Francisco, Sani Warren , RB’s like Taveon Hunter, David Jones, X Willis, the Caudills, Thomas Varney, Greg Varney, Doug Howard, FB’s like Wellman and Hatfield. Lineman like Cole Bentley, Austin Dotson, Andrew Mullins,.....honestly that list can go on and on. Same for the defensive side of the ball. The list is simply too long

IMO....it would be a barn burner.....but I do believe Belfry’s style of play would win out.

Belfry 42-35.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:1987 team was legendary no doubt....,but IMO....not good enough to beat either the 2015 or 2016 Belfry team.

Back to the original question.....what a game that would be! Both programs have produced such high quality teams and exceptional players over the years. While Belfry has completed dominated this season for the last 15-20 years.....I think that is gonna change after the 2020 season. Belfry will be a load this year and still very, very good in. 2020. 2021 and beyond will be up for the taking.

All time teams? Geez.....I’m not familiar enough with the Pikeville rosters....but when I start thinking about NFL players such as Rick Kestner and James Ramey, QB’s like Floyd Hatfield, Dwayne Francisco, Sani Warren , RB’s like Taveon Hunter, David Jones, X Willis, the Caudills, Thomas Varney, Greg Varney, Doug Howard, FB’s like Wellman and Hatfield. Lineman like Cole Bentley, Austin Dotson, Andrew Mullins,.....honestly that list can go on and on. Same for the defensive side of the ball. The list is simply too long

IMO....it would be a barn burner.....but I do believe Belfry’s style of play would win out.

Belfry 42-35.

I admire your spunk uncle Rico, but those teams lost 2 games by 67 points and weren't close to being the best team in KY. The 87 Pikeville team who could run and pass and play great D would kill those teams.
jetpilot Wrote:I admire your spunk uncle Rico, but those teams lost 2 games by 67 points and weren't close to being the best team in KY. The 87 Pikeville team who could run and pass and play great D would kill those teams.

Different times....different teams. We’ll just have to agree to disagree. Obviously it’s just all in fun. No doubt the 87, 88, 89 run by Pikeville was legendary. 👍🏼
jetpilot Wrote:Pikeville's 1987 team alone would beat that team by 2 TDs or more.

I played against that team and no they would not our 2016 is the best to EVER EVER come out of these mountains you got your opinion and I got mine but I do believe they are the Second best for sure TongueirateSho
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I played against that team and no they would not our 2016 is the best to EVER EVER come out of these mountains you got your opinion and I got mine but I do believe they are the Second best for sure TongueirateSho

It ain't even close.
Here is an article written by Mike Fields which appeared in the Lexington Herald during Pikeville's state championship 1987 season. I purchased it from the Lexington Herald's website, so there is no link...ENJOY...

MIGHTY PIKEVILLE THE STUFF OF LEGENDS
Mike Fields Herald-Leader staff writer The offensive might of this year's undefeated Pikeville High School football team probably will be talked about for years to come in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky. Win or lose in the Class A playoffs, these Panthers have earned a special place in the hearts of their fans. After all, how many other football teams ever produced more than a point a minute? Pikeville's 10 straight victories this season have included such overwhelming mismatches as three 61-0 routs, a 62-7 blowout and a 59-0 laugher. For the record, the Panthers are averaging 51.7 points per 48 minutes every Friday night. If that's not enough to make your head spin, here's a staggering possibility: By the time the playoffs are over they could have three 1,000- yard rushers plus a 1,000-yard passer cavorting about in their backfield. And these statistics could have been even more impressive, considering Coach Hillard Howard played his starters sparingly in most of the lopsided games. "Yes, we have been able to put some points on the board," Howard said in his understated style. But to get a true handle on this Pikeville team, look back to mid-September when the Panthers beat Virgie 61-0 after leading by that score at halftime. The interesting fact to come out of that game was that Pikeville scored more points in two quarters than its opponents did all season. That's right. These guys can play defense, too. In 10 games they shut out four opponents and surrendered a total of 58 points. "A lot of people don't realize that," Howard said. "And that's important
because people are crazy if they think we're going to score 50 points against anybody in the playoffs. We play (host to) Pineville Friday night and we'll be lucky to score a couple of touchdowns on them. "I'm like every other coach. I believe defense wins games and championships. As great as our offense has been this season, I know it'll be our defense that's got to come through the rest of the way." Howard has been around long enough to know. Now in his 16th year as the Panthers' boss, he's the winningest football coach in the school's history with 149 victories. This is the third time he's guided the Panthers through an undefeated regular season, and he's had a couple of teams finish as state runners-up (in Class A in 1972 and in Class 2A in '79). What Pikeville and its fans want now is to cap off a memorable season with a state championship. With the success they've had this year, could the Panthers already be thinking about spending Thanksgiving in Louisville? "I think some of us may have been thinking that the last couple of weeks," said Chris McNamee, a senior tight end and cornerback. "But now that the playoffs are here, we've put that out of our minds. We know we can't look ahead." "That's right," said senior quarterback Matt Blair. "It's tough to keep your mind right when you've got some parents, (former) players and fans already talking about going to Louisville." Even Howard, who's known as a coach with a tight hold on the reins, admits Pikeville's stunning regular-season success has its drawbacks. "When you've gone 10-0 and scored 50 points a game, it's only natural that the mommies and daddies are going to tell the players they're a little better than they really are," he said. "But I think we can make the team realize they can't let up for even one week now. When you start thinking instead of playing, you get beat." When Pikeville plays, it can throw a bunch of talent at the opposition. Forget that this is a Class A team. It has the size, depth and speed of just about any 4A outfit. Start with the backfield. Blair runs the show with poise, which is understandable when you learn he's the grandson of legendary Pikeville basketball coach John Bill Trivette. "But when you've got the running backs and line that we've got, it takes all the pressure off the quarterback," Blair said. Still, Blair has shown he can do more than just hand off. He's thrown for 14 touchdowns and more than 800 yards. But Pikeville prefers to run over you, with Greg Hackney, Bobby Deramus and Chad Thornsbury leaving most of the cleat marks. Hackney, a junior, has rushed for more than 1,150 yards even though he missed two games with a bad ankle. Deramus, a junior who's also a terror on defense at nose guard, has run for almost 1,100 yards. And Thornsbury, a freshman who also plays some defensive end, passed the 700-yard mark in last week's 62-7 rout of previously unbeaten Johns Creek. "Our runners have a lot of speed and they're extremely strong, too," Howard said. "I've never had a set of backs like this. The best way to put it is to say they're football players." Of course, running behind a big, strong offensive line helps. Tackles Tim Honaker (260 pounds) and Sean Neely (235) can open some holes, as can a half-dozen other lineman that Howard considers interchangeable. As for Pikeville's defense, Deramus and Honaker are considered the anchors. Linebackers Robert Mims and Virgil Ray aren't big -- both are about 5-foot-10, 165 pounds -- but they are quick and aggressive. McNamee has come on strong at cornerback recently. "He's played like a man possessed," Howard said. And his sidekicks in the secondary -- Jodie Miller, Tim Sanders and Robbie Wright -- have been steady all season. Despite Pikeville's success this season, some people have criticized the Panthers' schedule. But it wasn't Howard's fault that most of Pikeville's district rivals were weak this year. He had to play all six district foes: Elkhorn City, Fleming-Neon, Jenkins, Johns Creek, Phelps and Virgie. But look beyond those opponents to the two games that seem to legitimize Pikeville's strength: Pikeville beat Henry Clay 28-15 and it beat Belfry 39-14. Henry Clay won its 4A district title and Belfry captured its 3A district championship. After Pikeville beat Henry Clay, Blue Devils coach Jake Bell said he thought the Panthers were big and strong enough to compete in any class. But Howard isn't greedy. He'd settle for bringing the Class A crown home this year. "We've already accomplished a lot, going undefeated and doing it the way we've done it," he said. "But we don't want to be satisfied yet. We want to win this thing. "We realize anybody from here on out can beat us -- Pineville, Cumberland, Beechwood, Paris, Heath, Russellville . . . any of them. But we also think that if we play like we can, stay healthy and get a few breaks, we can win it all. "If we could do that, it'd make a great season a whole lot greater."
Imo, No mountain football team could beat the 87' Pikeville team, then or now. Those Lynch Bulldog teams from back in the day would create a barn burner for the 87' team, but no win for Lynch. 87' Pikeville team was the best to ever come out of the mountains, jmho.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I played against that team and no they would not our 2016 is the best to EVER EVER come out of these mountains you got your opinion and I got mine but I do believe they are the Second best for sure TongueirateSho

This is pure comedy right here. I don’t understand why most Belfry fans has to feel like they’re the best at something all the time. In reality no school has benefited more under the six class system than Belfry. Class 3A in the east has been awful until the last two seasons and when there’s adequate competition look how far Belfry has advanced.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:This is pure comedy right here. I don’t understand why most Belfry fans has to feel like they’re the best at something all the time. In reality no school has benefited more under the six class system than Belfry. Class 3A in the east has been awful until the last two seasons and when there’s adequate competition look how far Belfry has advanced.

Well....I see puddy tat wants to get involved in the conversation. That's pretty rich too say the least. Let's just save all the back and forth for the potential week Belfry and Ashland could meet up.

There is definitely no love loss between Ashland and Belfry.....but that really went up a notch or two when Ashland turned tail and forfeited an 8th grade regional playoff game against these same incoming seniors.

Jealousy is a b&*^h...….
PHS DYNASTY Wrote:Imo, No mountain football team could beat the 87' Pikeville team, then or now. Those Lynch Bulldog teams from back in the day would create a barn burner for the 87' team, but no win for Lynch. 87' Pikeville team was the best to ever come out of the mountains, jmho.

I can appreciate that. No doubt the 87 team was legendary. I may not agree with it...but I can definitely appreciate it. Listen the two fanbases are never gonna agree on this issue. Smile But I do know that the Belfry folks certainly appreciate what those Pikeville teams accomplished. The run they had back in the day was wild....
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I can appreciate that. No doubt the 87 team was legendary. I may not agree with it...but I can definitely appreciate it. Listen the two fanbases are never gonna agree on this issue. Smile But I do know that the Belfry folks certainly appreciate what those Pikeville teams accomplished. The run they had back in the day was wild....

Agree :Thumbs:
Well I thought this thread would stir up more "interest" lol...
Getting impatient for football season and major league baseball just doesn't get me through the summer like it used to.
One thing for sure, nobody loves their teams more and is more loyal than Pikeville fans and Belfry fans.
jetpilot Wrote:Well I thought this thread would stir up more "interest" lol...
Getting impatient for football season and major league baseball just doesn't get me through the summer like it used to.
One thing for sure, nobody loves their teams more and is more loyal than Pikeville fans and Belfry fans.

agreed! I'll say this.....even though the two fanbases go at it from time to time.....they do seem to stick together when attacked. I guess its a county thing Smile
Tomcat Pride Wrote:This is pure comedy right here. I don’t understand why most Belfry fans has to feel like they’re the best at something all the time. In reality no school has benefited more under the six class system than Belfry. Class 3A in the east has been awful until the last two seasons and when there’s adequate competition look how far Belfry has advanced.

Because we are better than you
Here’s my 2 cents. I played against the 87 Pikeville team and I have always said it was the best team I played against in my four years at Belfry, with maybe the exception of the 85 Paducah Tillman team. Granted our Pirate team had some huge holes to fill coming off two 3A teams that went to back to back state championships. We were able to defeat the panthers in 86 when the majority of the 87 team where juniors. They did seem to have it all in 87. Had not been for a lighting storm during the Pike co bowl Beechwood may have hampered the perfect season immediately. It sure wasn’t us that did it, Pikeville handled us easily the 5th game of the season 39-14. With that being said, I’ve formed some really good friendships with players from that Pikeville team. I do believe if the 87 Pikeville team and the 16 Belfry team lined up the Pirates would get the nod. Just to big a physical, with tons of speed. It would be a great game of course but I would have to go with Belfry in a close one.

As far as two all star teams from each school goes there are way to many great players from each school to even make a educated guess.

I think it’s to bad that Pike Co. couldn’t have formed one big 6A school with all the talent from the county and have been primarily the greatest program in the state for decades. Combine all the greats year in and year out and go play the Trinity’s and Saint Xavier’s of the world. Could you imagine that football factory. 😁
To many great players to even get into. It’s easier to judge performance during an athletes time period. Two absolutely great programs for sure. They above post about the 6A school is interesting. What schools would you consolidate to build such a school with football feeder programs. I gotta admit, would be cool to see.
Like others have stated, it's hard to compare teams from different eras. The Belfry team was really good, no doubt about it, but they were no where close to being the best team in the state of Kentucky. They also had a loss on their record. Yes, they lost to a really good team, but the loss is there none the less. Pikeville, on the other hand, went undefeated and may have been the best team in the state in 1987 regardless of class. For that reason, I'd give the nod to Pikeville.
Westside Wrote:Like others have stated, it's hard to compare teams from different classes. The Belfry team was really good, no doubt about it, but they were no where close to being the best team in the state of Kentucky. They also had a loss on their record. Yes, they lost to a really good team, but the loss is there none the less. Pikeville, on the other hand, went undefeated and may have been the best team in the state in 1987 regardless of class. For that reason, I'd give the nod to Pikeville.
Can someone post the schedule and the results of that 87 team?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Can someone post the schedule and the results of that 87 team?

I don't have them. A Pikeville fan hopefully can do that.
1987 Pikeville Panther Football Schedule

Regular season : Henry Clay - 28 - 15 W
Fleming Neon - 61-0 W
Elkhorn City - 49 - 6 W
Virgie - 61 - 0 W
Belfry - 39 - 14W
Phelps - 63 - 8 W
Jenkins - 61 -0 W
Paintsville - 59 -0 W
Western Hills-42 -8 W
Johns Creek -62 -7 W

STATE PLAYOFFS

DISTRICT FINALS :

Pineville -63 - 34 W
Cumberland -28 - 0 W

State Semi Finals:

Beechwood - 52 - 28 W

State Finals:

Russelville - 28 - 6 W Pikeville-1987 State Champs
Beat me to it.
Many people across the State, and not only Pikeville fans believed this 87' team to be the best football team regardless of class. A large crowd of Highlands fans pointed that out as we exited Cardinal Stadium. Many in the sports media expressed that as well. A phenomenal team !
Here's what I think. I'm not going to choose a best team because I dont know, and y'all dont either! I know nothing of the '87 team and couldn't name you one player from that team. I know the '16 team because my son was a backup lineman on that one his Freshman year. Belfry was very good in '16 but Pikeville was great in '87. Why do I say that? Most of you know how hard it is to have an undefeated season because most of you played. And it's very, very, rare to go undeafeated in a season and the playoffs and win a championship. And I dont care what class their in either. In '87, Pikeville was Perfect! I'd never pick against Belfry as long as my son is on that team. Both were unique teams in their own special way. I believe all can agree, those two teams were two of the very best to ever do it in the mountains and in the State.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Here's what I think. I'm not going to choose a best team because I dont know, and y'all dont either! I know nothing of the '87 team and couldn't name you one player from that team. I know the '16 team because my son was a backup lineman on that one his Freshman year. Belfry was very good in '16 but Pikeville was great in '87. Why do I say that? Most of you know how hard it is to have an undefeated season because most of you played. And it's very, very, rare to go undeafeated in a season and the playoffs and win a championship. And I dont care what class their in either. In '87, Pikeville was Perfect! I'd never pick against Belfry as long as my son is on that team. Both were unique teams in their own special way. I believe all can agree, those two teams were two of the very best to ever do it in the mountains and in the State.

Would love to have seen these two combined to go up against the …….let's say the best Louisville Trinity team. Gotta agree though, these two had to be the best to come out of the mountains, ever.
Panthers were ABNORMALLY big up front on that 87 team and even 88. This conversation proves a good point, whether it’s Belfry or Pikeville, whoever has great people up front win. This area ALWAYS have GREAT skill players but when you look at teams that run the table that is always what seperates them.
You are crazy. You on meth
I love football and these 2 schools have got eastern Kentucky a lot of respect. Everybody get alone. I pull for all the mountain teams during the state playoffs. Especially pike county teams. Belfry and Pikeville are 2 great football programs and they have been great talent come out of both schools and I look forward to watching the belfry vs pikeville matchup every year. That's the real PIKE COUNTY BOWL.