Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky Rifles/Pikeville Cubs
Did Shawon Dunston play at Pikeville for the Cubs? Seems like I had heard that somewhere a few years back.
rallo316 Wrote:there was kid he had black hair but i never talked to him much is that you?
Not a kid then, a little older.
The Long Rifles had a guy named Billy Brice that I think played 1st base. He could kill the ball! He was definitely my favorite Rifle.
bigpun Wrote:The Long Rifles had a guy named Billy Brice that I think played 1st base. He could kill the ball! He was definitely my favorite Rifle.

I dont think that the Long Rifles were part of the Appalacian League. They came later on.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Not a kid then, a little older.

Come on, tell us the "Rest of the Story". Big Grin
You’re right.
The Kentucky Rifles, which were shared by Paintsville and Pikeville, were in the Frontier League.
The Frontier League was and still is an independent baseball league with no major league affiliation.

The Rifles played the Paintsville portion of their home games at Charlie Adkins Field and were the reason and cause that Paintsville’s field got a grass infield for the first time….it was skinned before that season, with the sod turf still very new when the first game was played there.

I believe the year was ’92 or ’93, maybe ’94.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:You’re right.
The Kentucky Rifles, which were shared by Paintsville and Pikeville, were in the Frontier League.
The Frontier League was and still is an independent baseball league with no major league affiliation.

The Rifles played the Paintsville portion of their home games at Charlie Adkins Field and were the reason and cause that Paintsville’s field got a grass infield for the first time….it was skinned before that season, with the sod turf still very new when the first game was played there.

I believe the year was ’92 or ’93, maybe ’94.
If I am not mistaken, Johnnie LeMaster was the driving force behind the Rifles having a team in the area.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:If I am not mistaken, Johnnie LeMaster was the driving force behind the Rifles having a team in the area.
You're right.
And he was the manager for a period as well.